EOS R (not RP) Focus Bracketing?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
waldoh Contributing Member • Posts: 671
EOS R (not RP) Focus Bracketing?

Does the EOS R have focus bracketing? I know the RP does, but want to know if Canon updated the R to have it as well.

Steven Blackwood Senior Member • Posts: 1,967
Re: EOS R (not RP) Focus Bracketing?

No, it does not.

-- hide signature --

Steve
stevenblackwood1950@gmail.com
Milwaukee WI

Steven Blackwood's gear list:Steven Blackwood's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Canon EF 70-200 F4 II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +2 more
OP waldoh Contributing Member • Posts: 671

Thanks for the claification

daquiksta New Member • Posts: 4

Steven Blackwood wrote:

No, it does not.

Thanks for clarifying but, do you any reliable techniques to perform bracketing?
Is it possible thru Canon app?

Cheers.

Alexander Rosenwald Regular Member • Posts: 300

1. You can do it manually using some macro rail. Takes its time but is quite flexible. Allows the use of flash for example.

2. You could buy a Helicon Tube.

3. You could buy one of the newer Canon cameras.

Alexander Rosenwald's gear list:Alexander Rosenwald's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +9 more
Dracones Forum Member • Posts: 53

You can use the Canon's phone App "Camera Connect"

.. and use the MF adjusting buttons (the function in the orange square in the next screenshot). It works in fine to big increments of the focus. See the examples attached.

It's very intuitive.

Hoka Hey
Hoka Hey Senior Member • Posts: 2,014

Dracones wrote:

.. and use the MF adjusting buttons (the function in the orange square in the next screenshot). It works in fine to big increments of the focus. See the examples attached.

It's very intuitive.

This is exactly what I have done. It is easy and intuitive. I start in front of the target and end behind it using fine increments. Then delete the images that don’t have anything in focus in ACR or LR. Load all into PS as layers. Then, auto align. Then auto blend.

Works great!

-- hide signature --

Joe

JustUs7 Contributing Member • Posts: 874

Hoka Hey wrote:

Dracones wrote:

It's very intuitive.

This is exactly what I have done. It is easy and intuitive. I start in front of the target and end behind it using fine increments. Then delete the images that don’t have anything in focus in ACR or LR. Load all into PS as layers. Then, auto align. Then auto blend.

Works great!

Seems in some ways better than the automated. More certainty about focus increments and where you’re starting and ending. Albeit, more time consuming.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 1000D Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +3 more
Hoka Hey
Hoka Hey Senior Member • Posts: 2,014

JustUs7 wrote:

Hoka Hey wrote:

Dracones wrote:

It's very intuitive.

Works great!

Seems in some ways better than the automated. More certainty about focus increments and where you’re starting and ending. Albeit, more time consuming.

Right. You have more control this way than in camera. It isn’t much more time consuming to shoot but a little more labor intensive. I think I shot 100 frames of extremely fine increments with the app in about a minute and a half. The processing has to be done on the computer for both the R and RP. So, the time in LR and PS will be about the same with the same number of images. I haven’t used DPP4, this might automate the process.

-- hide signature --

Joe

SSEly Junior Member • Posts: 45

waldoh wrote:

Does the EOS R have focus bracketing? I know the RP does, but want to know if Canon updated the R to have it as well.

Message to Canon:  Adding focus bracketing to the R in a firmware update would be trivial. If you add this, then I will trust you enough to upgrade to R5 in the future.

Thanks.

Hoka Hey wrote:

JustUs7 wrote:

Hoka Hey wrote:

Dracones wrote:

It's very intuitive.

Works great!

Right. You have more control this way than in camera. It isn’t much more time consuming to shoot but a little more labor intensive. I think I shot 100 frames of extremely fine increments with the app in about a minute and a half. The processing has to be done on the computer for both the R and RP. So, the time in LR and PS will be about the same with the same number of images. I haven’t used DPP4, this might automate the process.

DDP4 is super easy. Select your beginning photo. Hold ‘shift’, select your ending photo. Click a button or two.  Done.

Now the only time I did this was with the in camera bracketing on the RP. I don’t know if it changes in a more manual process.

Canon EOS RP Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 1000D Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +3 more
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 5,549
+1 ...

SSEly wrote:

waldoh wrote:

Message to Canon: Adding focus bracketing to the R in a firmware update would be trivial. If you add this, then I will trust you enough to upgrade to R5 in the future.

Thanks.

Seem like an easy thing to do. Odd having an extra feature on a low end camera and not the higher model. I don't hold out a lot of hope for Canon to do this though. That's not their pattern. Typically they only fix BIG problems thru firmware updates and rarely/never add features.

I'm sure it will be on the R5, so that will be the answer they give to R users.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Re: +1 ...

jwilliams wrote:

SSEly wrote:

waldoh wrote:

Message to Canon: Adding focus bracketing to the R in a firmware update would be trivial. If you add this, then I will trust you enough to upgrade to R5 in the future.

Thanks.

Seem like an easy thing to do. Odd having an extra feature on a low end camera and not the higher model. I don't hold out a lot of hope for Canon to do this though. That's not their pattern. Typically they only fix BIG problems thru firmware updates and rarely/never add features.

I'm sure it will be on the R5, so that will be the answer they give to R users.

Part of me wonders if they view this as a beginner feature. Whereas advanced and pro photographers wouldn’t use it because they would want more control over the set up and execution?

daquiksta New Member • Posts: 4

Dracones wrote:

It's very intuitive.

Huge thanks for showing me how to do it. Deeply appreciated. I'm gonna play with it asap

Dracones Forum Member • Posts: 53

daquiksta wrote:

Dracones wrote:

It's very intuitive.

Huge thanks for showing me how to do it. Deeply appreciated. I'm gonna play with it asap

You're welcome!

JoWinter Regular Member • Posts: 193

Hoka Hey wrote:

JustUs7 wrote:

Hoka Hey wrote:

Dracones wrote:

It's very intuitive.

Works great!

Here's guide from Canon for how to focus-stack in DDP. It contains beautiful examples.

https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/india/article/en/focus-stacking-a-pro-technique-made-simpler-with-focus-bracketing

The guide assumes that one has used the in-camera focus bracketing function of the RP, 90D or M6ii to generate the raw pictures. I will try whether it also works when the bracketing was done via the app.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads