35mm 1.4 Durability

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Spazmaster Regular Member • Posts: 222
35mm 1.4 Durability
1

Recently picked one of these up.

I'm usually not super easy on my gear, throwing the camera and lens onto my backseat, putting them without an insert into my backpack.

Wondering about the durability of this lens as it feels a little fragile. Anyone have any insight?

 Spazmaster's gear list:Spazmaster's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R XF 90mm Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +3 more
SpeedyNeo
SpeedyNeo Contributing Member • Posts: 888
Re: 35mm 1.4 Durability
1

About 6 months ago, my ex X-E3 with XF35mm1.4 fell off on hard concrete from my brother's hands. The lens hood took the hit, causing only a slight buckle in it. The lens and camera both kept working perfectly.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T3 | Fujifilm X-E3 | XF16mmF1.4 | XF35mmF1.4 | XF90mmF2 | XF18-55mmF2.8-4 | Fujifilm FinePix XP140

 SpeedyNeo's gear list:SpeedyNeo's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
JayNGu
JayNGu Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: 35mm 1.4 Durability
6

It's well built. Had mine for 7 years and still doesn't miss a beat. Get's better with age as it focuses faster on the newer bodies. A lens built to last and I wouldn't worry about it's durability.

Jason

 JayNGu's gear list:JayNGu's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
jslade797 Regular Member • Posts: 263
Re: 35mm 1.4 Durability
2

I recently dropped my 18mm f2 - a lens from the same stock and of very similar build quality. I've never dropped a lens before in my life and was horrified to watch it fall on what was a pretty hard surface. To my amazement there was no external or internal damage and the lens operates exactly as it did before.

Both lenses are fairly light and sound a bit clunky when focusing, but I suspect they're a fair bit tougher than they seem at first glance. Or maybe I've just been lucky!

-- hide signature --

Instagram - @jontyslade

 jslade797's gear list:jslade797's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-T2 +2 more
JohnS59 Regular Member • Posts: 441
Re: 35mm 1.4 Durability

Spazmaster wrote:

Recently picked one of these up.

I'm usually not super easy on my gear, throwing the camera and lens onto my backseat, putting them without an insert into my backpack.

Wondering about the durability of this lens as it feels a little fragile. Anyone have any insight?

It's a prime and those are - in general - somewhat less vulnerable than complex zoom lenses. However, as far as I know, no lens is designed and built to survive abuse, especially not hard hits or falling on a hard surface from some distance. It's a precision instrument and have to be used like that! The 35mm doesn't fall apart that easily because it's well build as all XF lenses. But be gentle!  Please :-).

John.

 JohnS59's gear list:JohnS59's gear list
Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +7 more
Crashton
Crashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,954
Re: 35mm 1.4 Durability
1

I've had my 35mm f1.4 for 5 years. Bought it used so it's older than 5 years. Never had a problem & I don't treat my camera equipment like it's fragile. No abuse, but no extra care given.

-- hide signature --

Chuck

 Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
Chris Dubea
Chris Dubea Senior Member • Posts: 1,951
Re: 35mm 1.4 Durability
4

Have a look at this:

https://fujilove.com/a-visual-journey-7-years-of-the-xf35mm-f-1-4/

Seems pretty durable to withstand her abuse.

I've got one of these, and the beauty of the thing is that Fuji made a LOT of them, so if you destroy it, just buy another one.

-- hide signature --

Chris

 Chris Dubea's gear list:Chris Dubea's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +4 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,026
Re: 35mm 1.4 Durability

Mine was secondhand (at least) when I bought it, and pretty well used from the battered condition of the lens hood and the unidentified substance nobody has quite been able to clean out of the ridges on the focusing ring. I haven't babied it either. It's spent its fair share of time in the passenger seat and many many trips uncased in an ordinary bag with only its Hood Hat and a piece of fleece wrapped around it to protect it.

And I'm pretty sure it, and my X-T10, both survived a bad fall I took a few weeks ago that left me with lingering injuries to both knees. Now that I am out and around again, I plan to test it thoroughly to make sure it is OK. But I'm hopeful-- the post-fall images I took that day were fine.

Don't let the oddly loose aperture ring and snippy snappy noises fool you ( if your lens has them). This is a tough lens.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

 yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
Batdude
Batdude Veteran Member • Posts: 4,942
Mine went bad

Spazmaster wrote:

Recently picked one of these up.

I'm usually not super easy on my gear, throwing the camera and lens onto my backseat, putting them without an insert into my backpack.

Wondering about the durability of this lens as it feels a little fragile. Anyone have any insight?

I too purchased my first 35 1.4 used and I would use it as a hobbyist at first but then I started photographing more and more until I started coming home with approximately 1000 photos during a weekend while my hobby was becoming a small business.  I wish I could be more accurate and also know for how long I actually used it but unfortunately my mind doesn’t not have that kind of detailed information because I simply was not keeping track of anything because who does that in the first place, right?

Having said that, the best I remember is that I used it continuously for around two to three years straight, and then all of the sudden it just went bad on me. The lens simply stopped focusing properly and the “grinding” AF sound that it normally made on my XT1 got a bit worse, not super loud but I can tell something was different and the problem was internal. I started getting weird looking soft photos so I didn’t even bother fixing it with Fuji because I knew it would cost me about the same as a new one so I just got me another used one.

I have dropped a few of my lenses by accident maybe once while close to the grown and camera bag while changing lenses on the body but I agree with others that I wouldn’t want to drop ANY of them on purpose just to see how well they are built.

The amount of time someone has owned the lens doesn’t matter, what I would be interested in is how much people have used it. If someone has owned the lens for five to ten years but it doesn’t get used heavily then that doesn’t mean a lens is solid.

i owned and used dozens of other lenses in the past, built of metal and plastic and till this day ONLY one lens has ever gone bad on me. The Fuji 35 1.4.

To me, that = unreliability (for the application I use it for).

For normal non heavy duty use I can only assume the lens should last you a long time and you should be happy.

 Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,026
Re: Mine went bad
1

My guess is you just wore it out.   You have no idea how much wear was on it when you got it, then you pounded on it for quite a while ... nothing with moving parts lasts forever under heavy use.

It would be interesting if lenses came with actuation numbers on them the way cameras have shutter counts.  Just how many photographs ( or acts of focusing for autofocus lenses?) should a lens be good for before something fails?

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

 yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
OP Spazmaster Regular Member • Posts: 222
Re: Mine went bad

Thanks for the reply, good to hear from both sides. Honestly if I can get 3 years of constant use out of it I'd be happy!

 Spazmaster's gear list:Spazmaster's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R XF 90mm Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +3 more
TRIODEROB
TRIODEROB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,553
Re: Mine went bad
3

it does not matter  - its the best lens in the whole FuJI apsc system.

its like the 110 in their medium format line - its the holy grail lens

I cant think of one other lens besides the 35 f1.4 that cant be matched by some other system s lens  - with perhaps a nod to the 90 which is razor sharp.

Batdude
Batdude Veteran Member • Posts: 4,942
Re: Mine went bad

yardcoyote wrote:

My guess is you just wore it out. You have no idea how much wear was on it when you got it, then you pounded on it for quite a while ... nothing with moving parts lasts forever under heavy use.

You are absolutely right I have no idea but I seriously the previous owner was shooting the exact same way as me.  In fact now that I think about it, I think I purchased that lens when I was shooting with my XE1.  A few years ago Fuji didn't have any "sports" cameras and we all know the 35 1.5 was never designed for sports or for heavy duty use.  That is a fact.  So I doubt the dude using it before me was shooting 1000 photos on a weekend.

It would be interesting if lenses came with actuation numbers on them the way cameras have shutter counts. Just how many photographs ( or acts of focusing for autofocus lenses?) should a lens be good for before something fails?

 Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Batdude
Batdude Veteran Member • Posts: 4,942
Re: Mine went bad

Spazmaster wrote:

Thanks for the reply, good to hear from both sides. Honestly if I can get 3 years of constant use out of it I'd be happy!

I sure hope it last you way more than that.  Expecting the lens not to last more than three years would not be right and no I don't think you should be happy with that at all.

Like I said, none of my other Nikon and Fuji 16 1.4 lenses have gone bad on me and I have used them a LOT and they all perform rock solid non stop.

 Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Threaded Veteran Member • Posts: 3,326
Re: Mine went bad
4

Batdude wrote:

yardcoyote wrote:

My guess is you just wore it out. You have no idea how much wear was on it when you got it, then you pounded on it for quite a while ... nothing with moving parts lasts forever under heavy use.

You are absolutely right I have no idea but I seriously the previous owner was shooting the exact same way as me. In fact now that I think about it, I think I purchased that lens when I was shooting with my XE1. A few years ago Fuji didn't have any "sports" cameras and we all know the 35 1.5 was never designed for sports or for heavy duty use. That is a fact. So I doubt the dude using it before me was shooting 1000 photos on a weekend.

The lens has been available for 8+ years now and you’re literally the only poster I’ve seen to report a fault with it. I get it, you take a lot of pictures, but I’m not sure that’s as unique a claim as you think.

MAYBE you’re the only Fuji photographer in the world to use their 35 1.4 a lot, but there is also the possibility that you were just unlucky, and that one particular lens you’re basing all this on just wasn’t screwed together quite right to begin with.

 Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
bleachfix
bleachfix Regular Member • Posts: 174
Re: 35mm 1.4 Durability

I've had mine since 2013, I would say it's durable. It's been knocked around a bit and I dropped it twice - no problem.

57LowRider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,240
Re: 35mm 1.4 Durability

Had mine since November 2012 and it's my most-used lens. The square hood and a UV filter are plenty protection for the front element, the lens is small and light enough not to die of its own momentum (unless treated so badly that just about any other lens would be already dead).

Thumbs up from me.

 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +11 more
Batdude
Batdude Veteran Member • Posts: 4,942
Re: Mine went bad

Threaded wrote:

Batdude wrote:

yardcoyote wrote:

My guess is you just wore it out. You have no idea how much wear was on it when you got it, then you pounded on it for quite a while ... nothing with moving parts lasts forever under heavy use.

You are absolutely right I have no idea but I seriously the previous owner was shooting the exact same way as me. In fact now that I think about it, I think I purchased that lens when I was shooting with my XE1. A few years ago Fuji didn't have any "sports" cameras and we all know the 35 1.5 was never designed for sports or for heavy duty use. That is a fact. So I doubt the dude using it before me was shooting 1000 photos on a weekend.

The lens has been available for 8+ years now and you’re literally the only poster I’ve seen to report a fault with it. I get it, you take a lot of pictures, but I’m not sure that’s as unique a claim as you think.

MAYBE you’re the only Fuji photographer in the world to use their 35 1.4 a lot, but there is also the possibility that you were just unlucky, and that one particular lens you’re basing all this on just wasn’t screwed together quite right to begin with.

That is indeed the question here. How many photos Fuji photographers/hobbyst actually take. I mean, from the impression that I have from this forum alone, the great majority only shoot for fun so how can one know approximately how long a certain lens can actually last. It would be nice if Fuji or any camera manufacturer had a lens "burn-in test" data available but I doubt such thing is done with a lens.

Yes maybe you are correct, maybe I was just unlucky and that is possible, but maybe is not a matter of being unlucky, maybe the lens is simply not constructed to last a very long time when the AF constantly moving back/forth internally. All the lenses that I currently have are used a lot and the 35 1.4 has been my only "unlucky" lens. All the other lenses I have perform rock solid and I use them equally.

 Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Threaded Veteran Member • Posts: 3,326
Re: Mine went bad

Batdude wrote:

Threaded wrote:

Batdude wrote:

yardcoyote wrote:

My guess is you just wore it out. You have no idea how much wear was on it when you got it, then you pounded on it for quite a while ... nothing with moving parts lasts forever under heavy use.

You are absolutely right I have no idea but I seriously the previous owner was shooting the exact same way as me. In fact now that I think about it, I think I purchased that lens when I was shooting with my XE1. A few years ago Fuji didn't have any "sports" cameras and we all know the 35 1.5 was never designed for sports or for heavy duty use. That is a fact. So I doubt the dude using it before me was shooting 1000 photos on a weekend.

The lens has been available for 8+ years now and you’re literally the only poster I’ve seen to report a fault with it. I get it, you take a lot of pictures, but I’m not sure that’s as unique a claim as you think.

MAYBE you’re the only Fuji photographer in the world to use their 35 1.4 a lot, but there is also the possibility that you were just unlucky, and that one particular lens you’re basing all this on just wasn’t screwed together quite right to begin with.

That is indeed the question here. How many photos Fuji photographers/hobbyst actually take. I mean, from the impression that I have from this forum alone, the great majority only shoot for fun so how can one know approximately how long a certain lens can actually last. It would be nice if Fuji or any camera manufacturer had a lens "burn-in test" data available but I doubt such thing is done with a lens.

Yes maybe you are correct, maybe I was just unlucky and that is possible, but maybe is not a matter of being unlucky, maybe the lens is simply not constructed to last a very long time when the AF constantly moving back/forth internally. All the lenses that I currently have are used a lot and the 35 1.4 has been my only "unlucky" lens. All the other lenses I have perform rock solid and I use them equally.

All your other lenses are fine - so what are the chances that Fuji decided to design/engineer just this one lens to such a lower level?  And that you are the only one of us active enough to notice?

The occasional lemon comes off every assembly line.  I think you had one, that’s all.

 Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads