FZ2500 poor battery life

Started Mar 5, 2020 | Discussions
cheapthrillz New Member • Posts: 10
FZ2500 poor battery life

I have been using this camera for about a year now. It's a fine camera but the biggest downside for me is the poor battery life. A battery lasts about 1.5 hrs even if I don’t take many photos. I use it a lot for bird photography which involves leaving it turned on most of the time while I am out in the field because I figure moving the lens in and out when turning the camera on and off uses more power than just leaving it on. I mostly shoot in AP mode and use a back button for AF. I think the continual auto exposure metering is maybe the key thing using power. When I am out with others I am changing batteries much more often than my friends, some with bridge camera others with DSLRs.

I would like to know, are the settings I can change that will reduce power use? and, might there be something wrong with my camera?

cheapthrillz's gear list:cheapthrillz's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +1 more
Panasonic FZ2500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rambow Senior Member • Posts: 1,235
It's only a tiny 1000mah battery....

cheapthrillz wrote:

It's a fine camera but the biggest downside for me is the poor battery life. A battery lasts about 1.5 hrs even if I don’t take many photos.

might there be something wrong with my camera?

You are powering a monster with a tiny 1000mah battery that would normally power a pocket camera from 12 years ago. Actually, no, my lx camera actually had a bigger battery, 1150mah if i recall correctly.

The power draw from that zoom lens and screen/evf at full brightness is enough to deplete that battery in 1.5 hours, without mentioning cpu and sensor usage.

Aside fom having better batteries, dslrs actually don't use too much power. The zoom is not motorised and having a OVF means there's almost no power draw while framing. This is how some models can take 3000 shots on just one battery!

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
OP cheapthrillz New Member • Posts: 10
Re: It's only a tiny 1000mah battery....

Thanks for the reply Rambow,

The battery is actually 1200 mAh but it sounds like there is nothing to be done to extend the life.  Just as well I go out with 4 of them for a day's shoot.

Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +1 more
evetsf Senior Member • Posts: 1,525

cheapthrillz wrote:

The battery is actually 1200 mAh but it sounds like there is nothing to be done to extend the life. Just as well I go out with 4 of them for a day's shoot.

Something to consider is an external battery adapter coupled to a large USB power bank. I have a 20100 mAh power bank that will run my FZ2500 for three full days between charges vs. going through four small batteries in one day, which is why I went this route in the first place.

Put the power bank in a small waist pack & you're good to go.

Steve

evetsf's gear list:evetsf's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +3 more

evetsf wrote:

cheapthrillz wrote:

The battery is actually 1200 mAh but it sounds like there is nothing to be done to extend the life. Just as well I go out with 4 of them for a day's shoot.

Something to consider is an external battery adapter coupled to a large USB power bank. I have a 20100 mAh power bank that will run my FZ2500 for three full days between charges vs. going through four small batteries in one day, which is why I went this route in the first place.

Put the power bank in a small waist pack & you're good to go.

Steve

Thx Steve,

I have a power bank that holds 4 x 3400 mAh 18650 batteries. I mainly use it attached to a tripod when doing timelapse. I need to rig up a secure way to carry it on the camera strap and I would be right.

evetsf wrote:

I have a 20100 mAh power bank that will run my FZ2500 for three full days between charges

Steve

I would be interested to know the details of your power bank and whatever cables your using.  It has bigger capacity to mine and maybe lighter to carry.

Cheers

Hans

evetsf Senior Member • Posts: 1,525

cheapthrillz wrote:

evetsf wrote:

I have a 20100 mAh power bank that will run my FZ2500 for three full days between charges

Steve

I would be interested to know the details of your power bank and whatever cables your using. It has bigger capacity to mine and maybe lighter to carry.

Cheers

Hans

I have this external power adapter, or something very similar:

https://www.amazon.com/DMW-DCC8-DMW-BLC12-Panasonic-DMC-FZ200-DMC-FZ1000/dp/B076HXNV69/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=fz1000+power+adapter&qid=1583553914&sr=8-3

The key is the twin USB plugs which connect to the power source. I plug them into an Anker PowerCore 20100 power bank. The power bank is neither small nor exactly lightweight, which is why I carry it in a waist pack. The cables are long enough to hand-hold the camera without issues.

The adapter can also plug into a pair of standard 1A mobile-phone chargers to supply mains power to the camera. It needs the pair of chargers as the 2500 requires more than the 1A of power a single charger provides.

Steve

evetsf's gear list:evetsf's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +3 more

Thanks Steve,

That's a better cable arrangement than what I am using so I'll get one.

Cheers

IAMAI Senior Member • Posts: 1,878
Re: FZ2500 poor battery life

cheapthrillz wrote:

I have been using this camera for about a year now. It's a fine camera but the biggest downside for me is the poor battery life. A battery lasts about 1.5 hrs even if I don’t take many photos. I use it a lot for bird photography which involves leaving it turned on most of the time while I am out in the field because I figure moving the lens in and out when turning the camera on and off uses more power than just leaving it on. I mostly shoot in AP mode and use a back button for AF. I think the continual auto exposure metering is maybe the key thing using power. When I am out with others I am changing batteries much more often than my friends, some with bridge camera others with DSLRs.

I would like to know, are the settings I can change that will reduce power use? and, might there be something wrong with my camera?

Keep continuous AFC off. Use the LCD instead of the EVF as much as possible. EVF is a large power drain compared to LCD.

IAMAI wrote:

Keep continuous AFC off. Use the LCD instead of the EVF as much as possible. EVF is a large power drain compared to LCD.

Thanks for the tips IAMAI,

Unfortunately using the EVF works best for me most of the time so I will concentrate on battery and power bank management and make sure I don't run empty when it counts.

Linz178 New Member • Posts: 10

I put something on these pages some time ago, because I found a day's shooting of about 100 was as much as the battery would take.  I have a spare battery but will invest in another.  It's certainly nowhere near the 350 shots claimed by Panasonic.  Quite a letdown...

-- hide signature --

Lindsay

pipnat51
pipnat51 Junior Member • Posts: 30

Same here. Had camera for around three weeks and have four new batteries!!! I want to love this camera but very poor battery life ruining it for me at the moment. Has anyone got a list of definitive settings to help solve the problem? I’m a stills shooter so very,very rarely do video. 100 shots if I’m lucky is pretty poor. I don’t see switching the camera off between shots is an option, sleep mode at lowest setting, only occasionally review images, WiFi off, display off unless I’m changing settings, and all other settings as per advice on here to maximise battery life but still poor. Help please if you can.

pipnat51's gear list:pipnat51's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +2 more
Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,423

pipnat51 wrote:

Same here. Had camera for around three weeks and have four new batteries!!! I want to love this camera but very poor battery life ruining it for me at the moment. Has anyone got a list of definitive settings to help solve the problem? I’m a stills shooter so very,very rarely do video. 100 shots if I’m lucky is pretty poor. I don’t see switching the camera off between shots is an option, sleep mode at lowest setting, only occasionally review images, WiFi off, display off unless I’m changing settings, and all other settings as per advice on here to maximise battery life but still poor. Help please if you can.

Switching these cameras off between shooting can make a big difference.
I use the fz1000 mk1 and by turning camera off I can manage a day’s shooting and get around 400-500 images .

-- hide signature --

Back to bridge cameras......

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +8 more
pipnat51
pipnat51 Junior Member • Posts: 30

I might have to try that although it must be a pain at times. Thanks for your reply.

pipnat51's gear list:pipnat51's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +2 more
Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,423

pipnat51 wrote:

I might have to try that although it must be a pain at times. Thanks for your reply.

Yes it’s a common issue with all these cameras that use evf , lcd and read directly off the sensor. It’s not just Panasonic. 
 It’s one of the few advantages of the good old DSLR that you can leave the camera in the on position and it not drain the battery . Those little Nikon 3000 series no do 1000 plus images .

-- hide signature --

Back to bridge cameras......

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads