Anyone notice a shortage of M6 Mark IIs?

Started Mar 5, 2020 | Discussions
Wintereater Forum Member • Posts: 84
Anyone notice a shortage of M6 Mark IIs?

I've been looking to upgrade to the M6 II, and something I've noticed is that availability seems to be oddly low in Canada, despite the camera only releasing a couple months ago. None of my local best buys have it (I even checked all the ones in Vancouver, a huge city), and the camera shops I've called all said something along the lines of the camera being "rare" for some reason, which I don't get. Has the camera just not been selling well, or is it just Canon neglecting Canada? Not sure how long the shortage has been going on for (Corona related? lol).

Wintereater's gear list:Wintereater's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +2 more
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Murrango Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: Anyone notice a shortage of M6 Mark IIs?

Wintereater wrote:

I've been looking to upgrade to the M6 II, and something I've noticed is that availability seems to be oddly low in Canada, despite the camera only releasing a couple months ago. None of my local best buys have it (I even checked all the ones in Vancouver, a huge city), and the camera shops I've called all said something along the lines of the camera being "rare" for some reason, which I don't get. Has the camera just not been selling well, or is it just Canon neglecting Canada? Not sure how long the shortage has been going on for (Corona related? lol).

I'm not sure if Best Buy Canada is stocking the M6 II in any of their stores yet, but it is available on their website for online ordering. The Canon Canada eStore lists both kits as being in stock, as does Henry's Camera in Toronto. I usually order directly from Canon.

Murrango's gear list:Murrango's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS M Canon EOS M5 +11 more
OP Wintereater Forum Member • Posts: 84

Murrango wrote:

Wintereater wrote:

I'm not sure if Best Buy Canada is stocking the M6 II in any of their stores yet, but it is available on their website for online ordering. The Canon Canada eStore lists both kits as being in stock, as does Henry's Camera in Toronto. I usually order directly from Canon.

"Yet," so does it usually take that long for them to do so? It's not like the camera was released last week, and Bestbuy is a pretty popular seller of camera gear. The smaller shops like Kerrisdale Cameras and London Drugs have them in stock at my local physical stores, but they all only have one, and by the way they worded things, it seems that they never got many to begin with. I just find this odd since the M6 II is Canon's latest M series flagship, and the holidays have long passed.

Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +2 more
bluefoam
bluefoam Regular Member • Posts: 236

Wintereater wrote:

Murrango wrote:

Wintereater wrote:

"Yet," so does it usually take that long for them to do so? It's not like the camera was released last week, and Bestbuy is a pretty popular seller of camera gear. The smaller shops like Kerrisdale Cameras and London Drugs have them in stock at my local physical stores, but they all only have one, and by the way they worded things, it seems that they never got many to begin with. I just find this odd since the M6 II is Canon's latest M series flagship, and the holidays have long passed.

Allot of bricks and mortar shops only tock 1 of each expensive item... it reduces their exposure to carrying excess stock and allows them to react to trends in purchasing...

If a product is doing well, they might have a few & due to changes in supply chain, if one gets sold, they can get another fairly quickly...

All this to battle online shopping

bluefoam's gear list:bluefoam's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +5 more
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 9,966

Wintereater wrote: Has the camera just not been selling well...

It's the only camera in it's price class that doesn't have a built-in viewfinder.

I don't know about other countries, but it's (BCN) not selling well in Japan.

MyM6II
MyM6II Senior Member • Posts: 1,722

My M6 II is as long as it used to be. But I wouldn’t mind if it was a little shorter. 😉

MyM6II's gear list:MyM6II's gear list
Canon G7 X III Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS M200

bluefoam wrote:

Allot of bricks and mortar shops only tock 1 of each expensive item... it reduces their exposure to carrying excess stock and allows them to react to trends in purchasing...

If a product is doing well, they might have a few & due to changes in supply chain, if one gets sold, they can get another fairly quickly...

All this to battle online shopping

Ah, okay. I wasn't too familiar with how brick and mortar stores operate but that makes sense, although I guess the employee I talked to isn't familiar with how his store operates either lol.

justmeMN wrote:

Wintereater wrote: Has the camera just not been selling well...

It's the only camera in it's price class that doesn't have a built-in viewfinder.

I don't know about other countries, but it's (BCN) not selling well in Japan.

In Canada, you can only buy the camera as a kit, whichincludes the EVF.

Vishari Beduk New Member • Posts: 10

Murrango wrote:

The Canon Canada eStore lists both kits as being in stock, as does Henry's Camera in Toronto.

In my country always everything is in stock. It is only when you have payed online or when you are in the shop they tell you that the product is in back order.
Very annoying, but they do this to prevent you to go to the competitor.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads