Z6 for macro and sports

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
sbw123 Regular Member • Posts: 128
Z6 for macro and sports

Would people please share their experiences using the Z6 for 1:1 macro and/or for low(er) light indoor action sports?  How has the battery life, EVF lag, and higher ISO (4000 and above) performance been?  I am in the position to upgrade to a full frame camera and trying to decide between a d780 and Z6.

Thank you,

-- hide signature --
 sbw123's gear list:sbw123's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +4 more
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Richard B99 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,032
Re: Z6 for macro and sports

sbw123 wrote:

Would people please share their experiences using the Z6 for 1:1 macro and/or for low(er) light indoor action sports? How has the battery life, EVF lag, and higher ISO (4000 and above) performance been? I am in the position to upgrade to a full frame camera and trying to decide between a d780 and Z6.

Thank you,

For macro the Z6 is fine and better than DSLR as you have more manual focussing tools and the EVF and screen is useful too.  Though D780 may have all that on rear screen now so that could be as good too.

OP sbw123 Regular Member • Posts: 128

Thanks for article.  1200 shots on one battery using only the EVF.  I think you just helped me choose my upgrade to FF!

What was the EVF lag like?  (When I do shoot sports, boxing, it is very fast paced like hockey.)

-- hide signature --
Nikon D5100 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +4 more
CptDecker New Member • Posts: 18

The lag does exist and I was shooting in high extended which in hindsight I probably should have tried without but it was manageable.  I don't feel I ever missed a shot because of it.

CptDecker's gear list:CptDecker's gear list
Nikon Z6
Peter M J Regular Member • Posts: 403

here is a picture of a dragon fly in flight

and a butterfly

No problems with the Z's and Macro

Best wishes

Peter

CptDecker wrote:

The lag does exist and I was shooting in high extended which in hindsight I probably should have tried without but it was manageable. I don't feel I ever missed a shot because of it.

I should have asked - are you still using a Z6/mirrorless to shoot sports? Why/why not?

-S

-- hide signature --
bokemon Regular Member • Posts: 430

For near 1:1 Macro, I use the Sigma 105mm lens.  I mainly do hand-held macro and not tripod.  In one sense, it works better than my Micro 4/3 cameras because I can get better signal to noise using a small aperture, plus the AF-C works great when the object (or me) is slightly moving.

One major major drawback is that it does not have shutter-button-activated focus stacking / bracketing mode.  You have to activate it from inside a menu.  This makes hand-held focus stacks impossible.

bokemon's gear list:bokemon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic G85 Nikon Z6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +15 more
beatboxa Veteran Member • Posts: 7,473

sbw123 wrote:

Thanks for article. 1200 shots on one battery using only the EVF. I think you just helped me choose my upgrade to FF!

What was the EVF lag like? (When I do shoot sports, boxing, it is very fast paced like hockey.)

You can get the Z6 lag pretty low if you shoot at 12-bit. I've clocked it at approximately 30ms in 12-bit (and around 70ms in 14-bit). More details as well as one of my viewfinder tests here (including a super-slow-motion gif):

There is a very important distinction to realize when coming from DSLRs though:

On a DSLR, when you press the shutter button, the mirror has to flip up and the shutter has to open. This takes time. So even if you have no lag in the viewfinder, there is always lag between the moment you press the shutter button and the moment that you capture. You always capture later than you see. You can see some of these values for a D5 (for example) here:

On a mirrorless like the Z6, you are already viewing the lagged image in viewfinder; but there can in theory be less (down to zero) shutter lag when using EFCS or electronic shutter. So you may capture what you see, even though what you see is slightly lagged from reality. Some Z6 timings are here:

And here is (I think) the testing method:

All this to say: just remember that a no-lag viewfinder does not mean a no-lag shutter.

And away from the technical stuff:  I think the Z6 generally works well for action, except in the most erratic and unpredictable action, like trying to cover a bee up close with a 500mm lens.

CptDecker New Member • Posts: 18

sbw123 wrote:

CptDecker wrote:

The lag does exist and I was shooting in high extended which in hindsight I probably should have tried without but it was manageable. I don't feel I ever missed a shot because of it.

I should have asked - are you still using a Z6/mirrorless to shoot sports? Why/why not?

-S

Yes - I would still use the Z but I am but I am working on a large project for work right now. For the current project I am using a D850. I am using the 850 because I wanted high MP and the ability to use my 85 mm f/1.4. I don't own a Z7 so it wasn't an option.

Once playoffs start I will be back shooting the NHL games. Hopefully, I will have the new Nikon 70-200 by the for the Z. If I do I will be sure to write about it.

CptDecker's gear list:CptDecker's gear list
Nikon Z6

CptDecker wrote:

sbw123 wrote:

CptDecker wrote:

-S

Yes - I would still use the Z but I am but I am working on a large project for work right now. For the current project I am using a D850. I am using the 850 because I wanted high MP and the ability to use my 85 mm f/1.4. I don't own a Z7 so it wasn't an option.

Once playoffs start I will be back shooting the NHL games. Hopefully, I will have the new Nikon 70-200 by the for the Z. If I do I will be sure to write about it.

Thank you. I look forward to reading more about the Z6 and a high speed sport like hockey.

-- hide signature --
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,191

sbw123 wrote:

What was the EVF lag like? (When I do shoot sports, boxing, it is very fast paced like hockey.)

If you shoot fast action shoot with both eyes open. This is valid for cameras with EVF as well as OVF. Try it out if you have never done it before, it might take some getting used to, but believe me, it works and is the best way to do it. Squinting with one eye is not a very good technique.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Luftwalk Regular Member • Posts: 213

A few shots shooting action with the Z6. Amongst them a full sequence of a dog running full speed at me:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwalk/albums/72157706365176231

Luftwalk's gear list:Luftwalk's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads