How to extract Camera data from picture??

Started Mar 3, 2020 | Questions
Horsepics Forum Member • Posts: 97
How to extract Camera data from picture??

I noticed that the pictures posted here all show the camera and camera settings when placing the cursor over the picture.  This information is obviously captured in the picture itself, as I have posted pictures  and this happens automatically.

What is the easiest way to extract this data myself on my PC?  I can view the info in the camera, but they are eventually deleted from my USB cards and would like to be able to review picture settings on older pics.

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 656
Re: How to extract Camera data from picture??
  1. Upload images to your computer
  2. Select one image then right click on it
  3. Select Properties
  4. Select Details
  5. Scroll down till you see the image details

Image Properties

Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 16,761
Exif data

Horsepics wrote:

What is the easiest way to extract this data myself on my PC? I can view the info in the camera, but they are eventually deleted from my USB cards and would like to be able to review picture settings on older pics.

That's called metadata, and a particular format of metadata used by camera manufacturers is called Exif.

All of the image processing software that I know of, particularly Adobe, Nikon, RawTherapee, DxO, etc., all read and display this Exif data. Your computer probably can display some of this data natively, in its file manager app.

You can also download software that does this. Just google "Exif viewer".

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +4 more
stevejenn Veteran Member • Posts: 4,271

An easy way would be to install "Faststone Image Viewer". It's a free software and quite good for viewing images.  Move the mouse all the way to the right edge and exif will show.  Each edge has a different menu.

Steve J

stevejenn's gear list:stevejenn's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,442

Open the image in any image management program that allows the disp,ay of EXIF data. This is pretty much all of them, from Photoshop/Paintshop Pro/ the GIMP down to free software like FastStone. I use FastStone as my day to day image manager. It is powerful but simple to use.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,144

BrokenPhotography wrote:

3. Select Properties
  4. Select Details

Image Properties

Doesn't work on here.

(Windows 10 Pro.)

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 68,304

Horsepics wrote:

I noticed that the pictures posted here all show the camera and camera settings when placing the cursor over the picture. This information is obviously captured in the picture itself, as I have posted pictures and this happens automatically.

What is the easiest way to extract this data myself on my PC? I can view the info in the camera, but they are eventually deleted from my USB cards and would like to be able to review picture settings on older pics.

Thanks!

If you can handle a command line there is a free tool called Exiftool (https://exiftool.org/) which will do what you want.

-- hide signature --

Things became much easier since I stopped confusing profundity and profanity.

OP Horsepics Forum Member • Posts: 97

Somehow I knew it would be simple.  Thanks to everyone.

Older Fossil
Older Fossil Regular Member • Posts: 150

Jestertheclown wrote:

BrokenPhotography wrote:

3. Select Properties
  4. Select Details

Doesn't work on here.

(Windows 10 Pro.)

This method works fine on my Window 10 Pro system.  But I usually look at this info in Lightroom or Photoshop.  Note that depending on how it is exported, Photoshop may strip all of the exif data.

Art

Older Fossil's gear list:Older Fossil's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,386

It does work on 10. try again.

Jestertheclown

FrancoD wrote:

It does work on 10. try again.

Just did.

It doesn't.

There's no "details" tab.

Someone has deleted that option on your computer.

Have a look at this

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/72962-add-remove-details-tab-file-properties-windows-10-a.html

Old Greenlander Veteran Member • Posts: 4,337

Horsepics wrote:

I noticed that the pictures posted here all show the camera and camera settings when placing the cursor over the picture. This information is obviously captured in the picture itself, as I have posted pictures and this happens automatically.

Thanks!

FastStone software

-- hide signature --

Old Greenlander
"I show the world the way I see it"
40 years of photography and still learning
https://www.juzaphoto.com/me.php?l=en&p=88256

Old Greenlander's gear list:Old Greenlander's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +18 more
Jestertheclown
  • FrancoD wrote:

"Someone's" never done that.

It's orobably never been there and sincee I've never seen it, I haven't missed it.

Have a look at this

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/72962-add-remove-details-tab-file-properties-windows-10-a.html

-- hide signature --

Jestertheclown wrote:

• FrancoD wrote:

It's orobably never been there and sincee I've never seen it, I haven't missed it.

Have a look at this

If you had bothered to look at the link I posted you would have discovered that you need to uninstall it not to be there otherwise it comes as standard with Windows 10.

Jestertheclown

FrancoD wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

• FrancoD wrote:

Have a look at this

If you had bothered to look at the link I posted you would have discovered that you need to uninstall it not to be there otherwise it comes as standard with Windows 10.

I did bother to look at the link you posted.

It doesn't alter the fact that it's not there, despite it being "standard with Windows 10" yet "someone" never having removed it.

teejaywhy
teejaywhy Regular Member • Posts: 377

Jestertheclown wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

• FrancoD wrote:

Have a look at this

It doesn't alter the fact that it's not there, despite it being "standard with Windows 10" yet "someone" never having removed it.

Your Windows is broken.

teejaywhy's gear list:teejaywhy's gear list
Nikon D750 Panasonic G85 Olympus PEN-F
Jestertheclown

teejaywhy wrote:

Your Windows is broken.

Or just different.

Depends on your point of view.

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 68,304

teejaywhy wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

• FrancoD wrote:

Have a look at this

Your Windows is broken.

All Windows is broken.

-- hide signature --

Things became much easier since I stopped confusing profundity and profanity.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads