Your Motorsports shot's 4

Started Mar 2, 2020 | Discussions
OP cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 6,313
Re: Your Motorsports shot's 4

cnyphotoguy wrote:

Would you post a bit about the rig you're using here?

The camera is a Nikon D500 with battery pack and Nikon 200-500mm f5.6. Used on a monopod fitted with a benro ballhead and the tightening screws loose for fluid panning.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +16 more
ssshoot
ssshoot Regular Member • Posts: 492

cnyphotoguy wrote:

Would you post a bit about the rig you're using here?

Sure!

The rig it's self is a Car Camera Rig Semi Pro 4.5m carbon fibre kit. More details here

My Sony A7R4 with Samyang 18mm f2.8 AF is mounted in a SmallRig cage and triggered with a Neewer radio remote.

Here is an overhead from a drone.

Just shout if you need more info!

Steve

-- hide signature --

Satan’s Little Helper.

ssshoot's gear list:ssshoot's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +3 more
IanColley Regular Member • Posts: 339

First official round of the Hillclimb year last weekend. Great weather, plenty of cars, good day all round.

Here's two piccies of a very nice BMW 2002 Turbo Sports Sedan. The car at the same part of the track taken from 2 different spots on different runs.

Regards  Ian Colley

ssshoot
ssshoot Regular Member • Posts: 492

Great couple of shots. Liking the second one best. Love the angle and the reflection of the decals in the tarmac! Good work!

Looking forward to our season starting soon hopefully.....

I’ve taken out a couple of ‘memberships’ with circuits and tracks because it’s likely that when they do reopen they’ll be open to members only at first. They’re better value anyway so it’s a win/win hopefully.

-- hide signature --

Satan’s Little Helper.

ssshoot's gear list:ssshoot's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +3 more

ssshoot wrote:

Great couple of shots. Liking the second one best. Love the angle and the reflection of the decals in the tarmac! Good work!

Looking forward to our season starting soon hopefully.....

I’ve taken out a couple of ‘memberships’ with circuits and tracks because it’s likely that when they do reopen they’ll be open to members only at first. They’re better value anyway so it’s a win/win hopefully.

thanks

agreed, membership not a bad idea, some of our local clubs have had track days but only members can attend. Restrictions freeing up though, thankfully

Regards  Ian

A few more hardtops from our first 2021 hillclimb.

Regards  Ian Colley

dav
dav Regular Member • Posts: 467

IanColley wrote:

Regards Ian Colley

Front wheel collapsed on that car Ian 😂

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Dave

dav wrote:

IanColley wrote:

Regards Ian Colley

Front wheel collapsed on that car Ian 😂

Haha, certainly loading it up !

I got a couple with his inside rear of the deck but liked this one too.

Regards Ian Colley

NicholasD
NicholasD Contributing Member • Posts: 841
REVS Institute

I've not posted on this thread for months because I haven't been to a race in over a year. 2021 will be a welcome change - wish all are well. We were in Naples Florida a few weeks back - a friend mentioned the Revs Institute. I'm glad he did. They advertise as a "working educational institution dedicated to the study, preservation, conservation, and restoration of historically significant automobiles" and it is all that and more.

From a photography standpoint, none of these are great but thought they might be of interest. Flash is not allowed and given the dark walls and funny lighting, it was a challenge. Kind of a tug of war between ISO, depth of field, and shutter speed. A couple of images include before and after with DxO Deep Prime. It's not perfect and some artifacts remain, but it's very effective. All shots were taken with the Sigma 18-35.

This Ferrari 166 was the first Ferrari in the US after winning the Targa Florio in 1948.

Maserati GP car (ISO 20,000)

Same after DxO deep prime and further edits. Time consuming but Deep Prime really helped on some images given lighting conditions.

1958 Vanwall

Same after Deep Prime

Lamborghini either a 350 or 400GT. Struggled with DOF but I really like how the partial desaturation and split tone capture the feel of the car. I've always thought these were super cool looking but this is the first one I've seen.

1939 Mercedes GP engine

Another German 12 cylinder - Porsche 917

If you like any of the above, then Revs is worth a detour.  There is much much more. They limit attendance (must buy tickets in advance) but it is world class, both in cars and documentation.

NicholasD's gear list:NicholasD's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D40 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +6 more
OP cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 6,313
Re: REVS Institute

Very nice, I love engine shots, I am still hoping to get to a race meeting this year. It would be great to finally enjoy racing and photography at the same time.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +16 more
NicholasD
NicholasD Contributing Member • Posts: 841
Re: REVS Institute

cosmicnode wrote:

Very nice, I love engine shots, I am still hoping to get to a race meeting this year. It would be great to finally enjoy racing and photography at the same time.

A couple more engines. Interesting to see how technology is rendered from the 1920's to the mid '60s

Bugatti 35  straight 8

Ford normally aspirated indy V8

NicholasD's gear list:NicholasD's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D40 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +6 more

Did I say how good it is to be racing again  

Round 2 of our local hillclimb weekend before last.

2 litre turbo 120Y, very quick little car

WRX in the morning sun

Hayabusa powered open wheeler having a scrape

Turbo Rotary powered open wheeler

Regards  Ian Colley

BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,869

Only a couple weeks until I will be back at the track.

Ford GT catching a little air at Mid-Ohio 2018

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more

Queensland Hillclimb Championships held just over a week ago. Here's a few from the same spot just facing two different directions.

Regards  Ian Colley

CBN_lux Junior Member • Posts: 36
At the local race track

These are my first motorsport photos since the beginning of the pandemic, taken at the Goodyear race track in Luxembourg. I am confident to shoot photos at Spa Francorchamps and maybe Le Mans this year.

-- hide signature --

good light, everyone

CBN_lux's gear list:CBN_lux's gear list
Ricoh GR III Nikon D850 Nikon D780 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +13 more
Tuonov2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,989
Lakeside raceway Qld Aus

Pre 1990 ride day.

Re: Lakeside raceway Qld Aus

Enjoyed the photos.

Great track Lakeside and great to see cars and bikes still running there. Lakeside’s future looks promising.

Was that a QEMSC day ? I must get to another event there again soon.

Regards Ian Colley

Tuonov2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,989

IanColley wrote:

Enjoyed the photos.

Great track Lakeside and great to see cars and bikes still running there. Lakeside’s future looks promising.

Regards Ian Colley

Yes, it was a QEMSC ride, they used to be on Thursday afternoons but got moved to Saturday afternoons after complaints from the locals, those very same locals that moved there in the full knowledge that there was already a racetrack in the vicinity...

Tuonov2 wrote:

IanColley wrote:

Enjoyed the photos.

Regards Ian Colley

Yes, it was a QEMSC ride, they used to be on Thursday afternoons but got moved to Saturday afternoons after complaints from the locals, those very same locals that moved there in the full knowledge that there was already a racetrack in the vicinity...

Sad really isn’t it, that’s pretty much what shut down Surfers International Raceway. It was a great road racing circuit, with drags and a short circuit speedway facility. Hopefully Tony Quinn ends up buying Lakeside and QR and has the funds to sort all the whingers out.

Regards. Ian Colley

BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,869
Rain at Mid-Ohio

Some of the after noon practice today was greeted with mother nature.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads