OT. Anyone here have the Panasonic Lumix FZ80/82 ? Interested on know how .......

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,758
OT. Anyone here have the Panasonic Lumix FZ80/82 ? Interested on know how .......

Hi,

Sorry for this question here, but I decide to post here because what I want to know is if IQ is really good for that sensor size. And here if anyone has the camera they will for sure compare with Micro 4/3.

I want a bridge an the FZ80 attracted me because of having 20mm at start, I do not care much for the telephoto range above 300mm.

I have micro 4/3 Panasonic Lumix cameras and lenses, only want the FZ80/82 for light travels.

Best Regards,

Aleo Veuliah

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +12 more
Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 8,059
Re: OT. Anyone here have the Panasonic Lumix FZ80/82 ? Interested on know how .......

Graham Houghton over on youtube is a great resource for Panasonic users

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ENfdQvxJOY

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is not reason which is the guide of life, but custom. David Hume

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 +11 more
mmartel Contributing Member • Posts: 635
Re: OT. Anyone here have the Panasonic Lumix FZ80/82 ? Interested on know how .......

I am not an FZ80 user, but I considered it briefly as a second body/backup/weather sealed option/LR telezoom alternative to use with my main micro four thirds body. Ultimately I chose in favor of the FZ300 (FZ330 in some parts of the world) rather than the FZ80. I also considered Panasonic FZ 1000, 1000ii, 2500, and Sony RX10 ii and RX10iii models as alternative all-in-one/bridge camera options.

I really wanted something dust and weather sealed, which eliminated several options. And since this wouldn't be my main camera, I wasn't willing to spend as much on the Sony RX10 models, despite the lure of their better sensors and very good lenses.

In addition, this article was quite influential in my decision to go with the FZ300 vs the FZ80: http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com/2017/08/panasonic-fz300-vs-fz80-bridge-camera.html

It comes out very decidedly in favor the FZ300.

I got mine in like new condition (it was an Amazon return item) for $349 USD last summer.

In my opinion, the FZ300 is an extremely solid camera, especially when shooting RAW and keeping ISOs near base.

The lens is extremely versatile and the sensor is kept to a reasonable 12 MP which IMO helps keep output size and quality in a much better range than the competing 18MP+ options based on the 1/2.3" sensor format. It is a pleasure to use with great ergos, operating speed, buffer, and an excellent EVF.

IMO, final image output is a touch below what I'd get in most circumstances with my m43 and 14-140mm 3.5-5.6 ii lens combination within the same focal range, although as with many cross-format comparisons, you probably have to be pixel peeping or shooting in difficult lighting circumstances to see really significant differences at ordinary viewing sizes (i.e., 1920x1080 monitor or up to 8x10" / A4 print sizes). The m43 sensor offers a bit more dynamic range, a bit less noise, a bit richer color, more pleasing background blur, and potential for slightly larger print sizes under the same shooting circumstances. But I also find the quality of images from the FZ300 perfectly satisfying under all but extreme strenuous shooting circumstances (i.e., difficult light) and I'm perfectly happy to shoot with it outdoors in decent light, or even indoors ... as long as I can bounce flash from the hotshoe.

I really can't recommend it highly enough if you're considering an inexpensive, weather-sealed bridge cam as an off-day companion for your "other camera."

Let me know if you'd like some samples or more info.

mmartel's gear list:mmartel's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
Aleo Veuliah
OP MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,758

James Stirling wrote:

Graham Houghton over on youtube is a great resource for Panasonic users

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ENfdQvxJOY

Thank you very much

Good video

Best Regards

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +12 more
Aleo Veuliah

mmartel wrote:

I am not an FZ80 user, but I considered it briefly as a second body/backup/weather sealed option/LR telezoom alternative to use with my main micro four thirds body. Ultimately I chose in favor of the FZ300 (FZ330 in some parts of the world) rather than the FZ80. I also considered Panasonic FZ 1000, 1000ii, 2500, and Sony RX10 ii and RX10iii models as alternative all-in-one/bridge camera options.

I really wanted something dust and weather sealed, which eliminated several options. And since this wouldn't be my main camera, I wasn't willing to spend as much on the Sony RX10 models, despite the lure of their better sensors and very good lenses.

In addition, this article was quite influential in my decision to go with the FZ300 vs the FZ80: http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com/2017/08/panasonic-fz300-vs-fz80-bridge-camera.html

I got mine in like new condition (it was an Amazon return item) for $349 USD last summer.

In my opinion, the FZ300 is an extremely solid camera, especially when shooting RAW and keeping ISOs near base.

The lens is extremely versatile and the sensor is kept to a reasonable 12 MP which IMO helps keep output size and quality in a much better range than the competing 18MP+ options based on the 1/2.3" sensor format. It is a pleasure to use with great ergos, operating speed, buffer, and an excellent EVF.

IMO, final image output is a touch below what I'd get in most circumstances with my m43 and 14-140mm 3.5-5.6 ii lens combination within the same focal range, although as with many cross-format comparisons, you probably have to be pixel peeping or shooting in difficult lighting circumstances to see really significant differences at ordinary viewing sizes (i.e., 1920x1080 monitor or up to 8x10" / A4 print sizes). The m43 sensor offers a bit more dynamic range, a bit less noise, a bit richer color, more pleasing background blur, and potential for slightly larger print sizes under the same shooting circumstances. But I also find the quality of images from the FZ300 perfectly satisfying under all but extreme strenuous shooting circumstances (i.e., difficult light) and I'm perfectly happy to shoot with it outdoors in decent light, or even indoors ... as long as I can bounce flash from the hotshoe.

I really can't recommend it highly enough if you're considering an inexpensive, weather-sealed bridge cam as an off-day companion for your "other camera."

Thank you very much for opinion and FZ300 sugestion.

I will consider that camera instead of the FZ80.

Best regards.

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

mmartel wrote:

Best regards.

Happy to help. Good luck and good light!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
Aleo Veuliah

mmartel wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

mmartel wrote:

Best regards.

Happy to help. Good luck and good light!

I already have seen videos and looked on Panasonic Lumix site. The camera really looks much better, and zoom range did not start at 20mm like the FZ80 but to me 25-600mm is really good, besides that the lens quality perhaps is better due to the smaller range.

Always Good Light

Bev81 from France
Bev81 from France Contributing Member • Posts: 616

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for this question here, but I decide to post here because what I want to know is if IQ is really good for that sensor size. And here if anyone has the camera they will for sure compare with Micro 4/3.

I want a bridge an the FZ80 attracted me because of having 20mm at start, I do not care much for the telephoto range above 300mm.

I have micro 4/3 Panasonic Lumix cameras and lenses, only want the FZ80/82 for light travels.

Best Regards,

Aleo Veuliah

Last summer, for his 10's birthday, my son wanted a camera, a "big" one with a long zoom. According to the money he was able to grab as gifts for his birthday he chose the FZ82. The budget was already extended to the upper limit, otherwise I would have strongly suggested the FZ300 instead

Anyway, here are my feelings about the FZ82

- IQ is generally disappointing, even for such a small sensor, I guess it comes mostly from poor optics. Yet, if you are careful about subject distance, focal, and ISO, you can get some nice photos

- The EVF is poor and diopter adjustment knob is moving too easily (I even thought we got a faulty one but did not want to investigate further)

- Video is quiet decent (at low ISO)

There is obviously much more to say but the truth for me is : I don't see myself using it often, but my son is very happy (so I don't tell him anything negative about his cam :)) = that's the main achievement of this camera

Boy playing with his new toy

And a few from the FZ82 (shot mostly for my own evaluation), generally raws pp'ed in LR:

Full zoom

Around 70mm. Good conditions, not bad at all

Air meeting last summer. My son took the photos, I did the pp

Air meeting last summer. My son took the photos, I did the pp (with cropping)

And for the fun, he asked me for a few portraits taken with HIS camera

He shot me in the wild

Thoses examples are among the best, many went to the trash especially when shot by my son (he is rather not very patient and dedicated - needed for this kind of camera I would say). They will print pretty well at least up to A4 (I did for some)

Now, a few years ago I still used the "expert" 1/1.7" compacts (Nikon P7100 & P330) and the IQ was higher. Larger sensors and better optics, probably. Now with the FZ82 you gain a very long zoom (and very wide also at 21mm), 4k video, and good ergonomics

I have more examples, feel free to ask

Bev81 from France's gear list:Bev81 from France's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm 50-230mm II 7artisans 25mm F1.8
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,455

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Hi,

Best Regards,

Aleo Veuliah

You might as well look at the Canon SX70 while you are at it. Beware the limited focus modes on the Canon but it seems in many ways a sound camera. Rather pricey though.

The wide angle on both this and the FZ82 is useful and the FZ330 is a better camera probably but you cannot uncrop scenes. The FZ82 is often under rated as much as FZ330 is over rated in the forum to and fro.

Some people struggle with the FZ82 and of course that is the camera not them and a rant ensues whilst others post some excellent stuff.

windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 16,905
Don't do it - get th FZ300/330 Re: OT. Anyone have the Panasonic Lumix FZ80/82 ? e

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Hi,

Had the FZ80, didn't keep it long. IQ is poor, only worth considering if you really need the 1200mm end. I didn't really use the 20mm end because I had the Panasonic 7-14mm, now the 8-18mm.

FZ82 examples https://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/albums/72157698013761104

If you want a Bridge camera for travel the FZ300/330 is the one to go for: well built, weather-sealed (well tested in hours of rain), great constant f2.8 lens, uses same battery as G6/7/80. If wide angle is desired you could add an adapter lens to get to 20mm, maybe a little wider or produce panoramas manually or auto-in-camera. See Flickr link below for many FZ330 example images. The FZ30/330 has come down in price and, in the UK, you can find it on the eBay Outlet at 299. Specific images within that album:

Auto Panorama https://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/34884672011/in/album-72157659823425652/

Manual Panorama https://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/35805177056/in/album-72157659823425652/

Another option GM5 (rare/pricey); GF7 and equivalents, tilt screen but no EVF then use your lighter lenses.

Examples from GF7 https://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/albums/72157688671554052

Best Regards,

Aleo Veuliah

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 +9 more
rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,782

strongly suggest the FZ300, a much much MUCH better camera currently on sale in the US for only $100 more (through tomorrow?)

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

Aleo Veuliah

Bev81 from France wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Hi,

Best Regards,

Aleo Veuliah

Last summer, for his 10's birthday, my son wanted a camera, a "big" one with a long zoom. According to the money he was able to grab as gifts for his birthday he chose the FZ82. The budget was already extended to the upper limit, otherwise I would have strongly suggested the FZ300 instead

Anyway, here are my feelings about the FZ82

- IQ is generally disappointing, even for such a small sensor, I guess it comes mostly from poor optics. Yet, if you are careful about subject distance, focal, and ISO, you can get some nice photos

- The EVF is poor and diopter adjustment knob is moving too easily (I even thought we got a faulty one but did not want to investigate further)

- Video is quiet decent (at low ISO)

There is obviously much more to say but the truth for me is : I don't see myself using it often, but my son is very happy (so I don't tell him anything negative about his cam :)) = that's the main achievement of this camera

Boy playing with his new toy

And a few from the FZ82 (shot mostly for my own evaluation), generally raws pp'ed in LR:

Full zoom

Around 70mm. Good conditions, not bad at all

Air meeting last summer. My son took the photos, I did the pp

Air meeting last summer. My son took the photos, I did the pp (with cropping)

And for the fun, he asked me for a few portraits taken with HIS camera

He shot me in the wild

Thoses examples are among the best, many went to the trash especially when shot by my son (he is rather not very patient and dedicated - needed for this kind of camera I would say). They will print pretty well at least up to A4 (I did for some)

Now, a few years ago I still used the "expert" 1/1.7" compacts (Nikon P7100 & P330) and the IQ was higher. Larger sensors and better optics, probably. Now with the FZ82 you gain a very long zoom (and very wide also at 21mm), 4k video, and good ergonomics

I have more examples, feel free to ask

Thank you very much for samples and opinion.

Best regards

Aleo Veuliah

AllFlawed wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Hi,

Best Regards,

Aleo Veuliah

You might as well look at the Canon SX70 while you are at it. Beware the limited focus modes on the Canon but it seems in many ways a sound camera. Rather pricey though.

The wide angle on both this and the FZ82 is useful and the FZ330 is a better camera probably but you cannot uncrop scenes. The FZ82 is often under rated as much as FZ330 is over rated in the forum to and fro.

Some people struggle with the FZ82 and of course that is the camera not them and a rant ensues whilst others post some excellent stuff.

Ok I will look, I like to see alll then decide.

Aleo Veuliah
Re: Don't do it - get th FZ300/330 Re: OT. Anyone have the Panasonic Lumix FZ80/82 ? e

windmillgolfer wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Hi,

Had the FZ80, didn't keep it long. IQ is poor, only worth considering if you really need the 1200mm end. I didn't really use the 20mm end because I had the Panasonic 7-14mm, now the 8-18mm.

FZ82 examples https://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/albums/72157698013761104

If you want a Bridge camera for travel the FZ300/330 is the one to go for: well built, weather-sealed (well tested in hours of rain), great constant f2.8 lens, uses same battery as G6/7/80. If wide angle is desired you could add an adapter lens to get to 20mm, maybe a little wider or produce panoramas manually or auto-in-camera. See Flickr link below for many FZ330 example images. The FZ30/330 has come down in price and, in the UK, you can find it on the eBay Outlet at 299. Specific images within that album:

Auto Panorama https://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/34884672011/in/album-72157659823425652/

Manual Panorama https://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/35805177056/in/album-72157659823425652/

Another option GM5 (rare/pricey); GF7 and equivalents, tilt screen but no EVF then use your lighter lenses.

Examples from GF7 https://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/albums/72157688671554052

Best Regards,

Aleo Veuliah

Yeah, thanks.

I am more inclined now for the FZ300/330.

Aleo Veuliah

rashid7 wrote:

strongly suggest the FZ300, a much much MUCH better camera currently on sale in the US for only $100 more (through tomorrow?)

Yes as I said to previous post, I am more for the FZ300/330, and the camera looks a lot better also

Best Regards

Aleo Veuliah
Re: Thank you All, it was very useful. Some Pictures I Took.

Aleo Veuliah
Re: And The Winner is

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Great photos! Looks like the camera has found a very capable new owner well equipped to make the most of its performance envelope. Cheers and good light!

Aleo Veuliah

mmartel wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Great photos! Looks like the camera has found a very capable new owner well equipped to make the most of its performance envelope. Cheers and good light!

Thank you Martel

All the Best

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads