With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
VBLondon Senior Member • Posts: 1,718
Re: With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

leonski wrote:

It's nutty to even THINK about discarding a perfectly good camera and platform (Z7)

because somebody doesn't think it's 'pro'.

I agree with you. And BTW? My '6, while not 'pro' certainly produces some excellent output.

I think it will be more driven by the mirrorless market (ie. Sony competition) than DSLR perceptions of "pro-ness".

I agree with the qualities of the Z6&7 platform. The body size/style is ideal IMHO - it contains the best sensor and EVF, the best memory card tech, and ever-improving AF.

I like the ways the Z6-7 pair isn't like the D750-D850. The D750 is a downgrade from the D850 in a number of important areas other than resolution - AF module, controls, OVF etc. That's been preserved in the D780.

I was really happy that I didn't need to buy a Z7 to get the best Nikon MILC hardware in the Z6, making it just a sensor resolution vs speed choice - like the old days of "D1h" vs "D1x". The Sony A7iii has (I think) a downgraded EVF from the A7Riii's. The Z6 and Z7 share the same EVF.

I guess Nikon will have to make a bigger body with 2 card slots and a bigger battery and all the stuff pros want. I just hope they continue to fit the best tech they can into the smaller Z6/7 platform.

They started the Z system with compact bodies, I hope it doesn't inflate in size to the point you have to get big bodies encrusted with pro bits one doesn't want to get the best basics of sensor, EVF, AF.  Sony's A9ii and A7Riv are still compact (similar in size to the Zs but heavier..) but the Panasonic S1 line is not what I personally want in MILC.

VBLondon's gear list:VBLondon's gear list
Nikon Z6
Joop_S Regular Member • Posts: 181

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

I expect either a Pro model with faster fps, much improved AF, big buffer, twin CFExpress slots, or a 60 MP D850 upgrade with a big buffer.

Nikon have only say in interviews there come a FF below the Z6 and a Z pj/sport like the D5. And as 3th a DX above the Z50. I am waiting for the Z pj/sport camera.

Nothing over a 60Mp camera. That will be a surprise. But the Z50 with 2 lenses was also a surprise. I love surprises.

Joop_S's gear list:Joop_S's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 24mm F1.8 S +1 more
Anonymous Pi Contributing Member • Posts: 875

Justin Riney wrote:

Droster wrote:

Anonymous Pi wrote:

Droster wrote:

Anonymous Pi wrote:

Droster wrote:

HeavyDuty wrote:

Anonymous Pi wrote:

jtosbo00 wrote:

I don’t see any Z series camera being an equivalent of the D5/D6 cameras right now or in the future. A major distinction is that these cameras are about speed. Increasing the megapixels is going to hinder a camera’s speed capabilities. The Z8, if rumors are correct on the 60mb, is not a D5/D6 (or sports camera) equivalent but simply a pro landscape camera.

You’re right, the Z8 is not going to be a D6 equivalent. The D6 equivalent will be a Z9 and it won’t be out till late summer early fall 2021.

I have to wonder how much face was lost by not having a Z line A9 competitor ready for the Tokyo Olympics...

Zero.

Because the people shooting those events have been using the Canon and Nikon flagship DSLRs forever and they don't really care.

We will see eventually more a9 cameras at top tier sporting events not because people are switching but because people are moving up from the lower tier bodies up to the a9.

So for Nikon, the question is how soon and how well they can release an a9 competitor now that we've the Z6 for almost two years now for us current and future owners to move up to.

They don’t need an A9 competitor, they will need a mirrorless D6 competitor, eventually. But the A9 isn’t the same class of camera.

Exactly. They don't need to be the same class of camera. The most sensible way of doing things would be to keep the $6,500 for the D6, and then do a $4,500 flagship mirrorless body. It's not going to be a double CFexpress, built-in grip mirrorless D6. It's not meant to replace the D6. Not for the first pass anyway.

Well, no, what I meant is that the D6 & 1DXm3 define one class of camera and the A9 defines another class below it. The Z equivalent of the D6 (Z9?) will most likely be the same class of camera as the D6, it will most likely cost ~$6.5K, and it (and its descendants) will be meant to eventually replace the D6. I think we'll see it around September 2021.

You're correct and that's the whole point. The flagship mirrorless doesn't have to be in that same class. It doesn't need to because those flagship DSLRs won't be going away any time in the foreseeable future.

The main task for at least the first version of the Z8 and Z9 is not to replace the D850 and the D6, but to see how far the Z mount and the bodies can go. In that regard, even though I personally wouldn't want a 60MP Z8, I can see why it's kinda inevitable.

Nikon marketing at their 100 year was F mount got us here, and now Z mount will carry us the next 100. In so many words. I think it’s a bit short sighted and perhaps a little bit of denial to think they won’t be bringing the D6 to mirrorless.

Yes, apparently I wasn't being clear enough. I expect that the first generation of the Z9 will be equivalent or superior to the D6, and priced equivalently.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 463

What I'm hoping for is a battery grip with shutter release (portrait) and maybe a switch for 'backbutton' focus and whatever else can easily and ergonomically fit.

Other than that?    Quite content with the '6

Ke Liu
Ke Liu Regular Member • Posts: 198

Side track a bit.

I'm hoping it won't be name as Z 8. It will push many ambivalent buyers away in China. Why ?  Simply because the pronunciation of Z 8 in Chinese (Zee Bar) is pretty much the same as 'dick' in Mandarin lingo, no joking, it is.

"What are you shooting with?"
"Oh I'm shooting my dick"... Fantastic.

Ke Liu's gear list:Ke Liu's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR
Droster Senior Member • Posts: 1,011

Anonymous Pi wrote:

Justin Riney wrote:

Droster wrote:

Anonymous Pi wrote:

Droster wrote:

Anonymous Pi wrote:

Droster wrote:

HeavyDuty wrote:

Anonymous Pi wrote:

jtosbo00 wrote:

I don’t see any Z series camera being an equivalent of the D5/D6 cameras right now or in the future. A major distinction is that these cameras are about speed. Increasing the megapixels is going to hinder a camera’s speed capabilities. The Z8, if rumors are correct on the 60mb, is not a D5/D6 (or sports camera) equivalent but simply a pro landscape camera.

You’re right, the Z8 is not going to be a D6 equivalent. The D6 equivalent will be a Z9 and it won’t be out till late summer early fall 2021.

I have to wonder how much face was lost by not having a Z line A9 competitor ready for the Tokyo Olympics...

Zero.

Because the people shooting those events have been using the Canon and Nikon flagship DSLRs forever and they don't really care.

We will see eventually more a9 cameras at top tier sporting events not because people are switching but because people are moving up from the lower tier bodies up to the a9.

So for Nikon, the question is how soon and how well they can release an a9 competitor now that we've the Z6 for almost two years now for us current and future owners to move up to.

They don’t need an A9 competitor, they will need a mirrorless D6 competitor, eventually. But the A9 isn’t the same class of camera.

Exactly. They don't need to be the same class of camera. The most sensible way of doing things would be to keep the $6,500 for the D6, and then do a $4,500 flagship mirrorless body. It's not going to be a double CFexpress, built-in grip mirrorless D6. It's not meant to replace the D6. Not for the first pass anyway.

Well, no, what I meant is that the D6 & 1DXm3 define one class of camera and the A9 defines another class below it. The Z equivalent of the D6 (Z9?) will most likely be the same class of camera as the D6, it will most likely cost ~$6.5K, and it (and its descendants) will be meant to eventually replace the D6. I think we'll see it around September 2021.

You're correct and that's the whole point. The flagship mirrorless doesn't have to be in that same class. It doesn't need to because those flagship DSLRs won't be going away any time in the foreseeable future.

The main task for at least the first version of the Z8 and Z9 is not to replace the D850 and the D6, but to see how far the Z mount and the bodies can go. In that regard, even though I personally wouldn't want a 60MP Z8, I can see why it's kinda inevitable.

Nikon marketing at their 100 year was F mount got us here, and now Z mount will carry us the next 100. In so many words. I think it’s a bit short sighted and perhaps a little bit of denial to think they won’t be bringing the D6 to mirrorless.

Yes, apparently I wasn't being clear enough. I expect that the first generation of the Z9 will be equivalent or superior to the D6, and priced equivalently.

And you’re setting yourself up for another “Z7 is not a D850” style of disappointment.

So no, I’m playing the Debbie Downer role here and say I fully expect the first version or maybe even the second version Z9 to not be the same price and at the same class as the D6 so long as the flagships are in play.

Before they make that Z9 a D6-class camera, they need to ask this question: Who is going to buy that camera? Only the very top of the top and the very rich will get it. Two things need to happen. 1) The current crop of flagship users break their current cameras and move on to the flagship mirrorless cameras and 2) the current crop of mirrorless move up to an a9 class of cameras.

The former isn’t happening for at least the next five years. The latter is slowly happening with the a9. The keyword being slowly. With Nikon it’s going to happen slowly too.

The conditions are not right in current circumstances for a $6,500 mirrorless flagship to exist. We may even see Sony pull an a9+ at $6,500 in the future first before Nikon does. So unless Sony makes that move first, especially with its larger installed user base, Nikon will likely not make a similar Z9+ move before Sony.

TL;DR: Not going to happen without a base of users to buy that camera. Limited traction in converting current flagship DSLR users to trickle in, especially at the same price. So base of users need time to build from scratch. It will start as it's own thing, and first couple of versions are going to be work-in-progress versions as people get their hands on it and hand in feedback for improvement. It won't be a $6,500 flagship on day one.

Droster's gear list:Droster's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
FingerPainter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,267

Ke Liu wrote:

Side track a bit.

I'm hoping it won't be name as Z 8. It will push many ambivalent buyers away in China. Why ? Simply because the pronunciation of Z 8 in Chinese (Zee Bar) is pretty much the same as 'dick' in Mandarin lingo, no joking, it is.

"What are you shooting with?"
"Oh I'm shooting my dick"... Fantastic.

Remind me of the trouble Toyota had with the MR2 in French-speaking regions.

Anonymous Pi Contributing Member • Posts: 875

Droster wrote:

Anonymous Pi wrote:

Justin Riney wrote:

Droster wrote:

Anonymous Pi wrote:

Droster wrote:

Anonymous Pi wrote:

Droster wrote:

HeavyDuty wrote:

Anonymous Pi wrote:

jtosbo00 wrote:

Zero.

And you’re setting yourself up for another “Z7 is not a D850” style of disappointment.

So no, I’m playing the Debbie Downer role here and say I fully expect the first version or maybe even the second version Z9 to not be the same price and at the same class as the D6 so long as the flagships are in play.

Before they make that Z9 a D6-class camera, they need to ask this question: Who is going to buy that camera? Only the very top of the top and the very rich will get it. Two things need to happen. 1) The current crop of flagship users break their current cameras and move on to the flagship mirrorless cameras and 2) the current crop of mirrorless move up to an a9 class of cameras.

Who will buy the D6? The exact same demographic. And, yes, even if they buy a D6, they will buy a Z9.

The former isn’t happening for at least the next five years. The latter is slowly happening with the a9. The keyword being slowly. With Nikon it’s going to happen slowly too.

The conditions are not right in current circumstances for a $6,500 mirrorless flagship to exist. We may even see Sony pull an a9+ at $6,500 in the future first before Nikon does. So unless Sony makes that move first, especially with its larger installed user base, Nikon will likely not make a similar Z9+ move before Sony.

Why should Nikon wait for Sony to make that move first? That's an odd sort of strategy, to intentionally be a market follower.

TL;DR: Not going to happen without a base of users to buy that camera. Limited traction in converting current flagship DSLR users to trickle in, especially at the same price. So base of users need time to build from scratch. It will start as it's own thing, and first couple of versions are going to be work-in-progress versions as people get their hands on it and hand in feedback for improvement. It won't be a $6,500 flagship on day one.

The "work-in-progress" is already happening on other cameras, and there is already a base of users. It's not like Nikon doesn't know what users will want in a Z9. It's not like they have to feel their way to what a Z9 class of camera needs to be. By late 2021, they'll have the glass other than super-telephoto in place, and the F mount super-telephoto lenses will do just fine. This is no time for Nikon to be timid.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 463

And GM with the Nova, which means No Go in Spanish......Wife informs me this usage is 'slang'.

I'm sure their must be others.    Even a car with just a number?    Might be bad luck in some cultures, like calling a car '13' in some places.   Puegeot once numbered all their cars.    Family owned a 504 which as far as I can tell won't offend anyone!

john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,501

viteaux wrote:

breivogel wrote:

Jeff Self wrote:

When the Z7 debuted, everyone thought it was a mirrorless version of the D850. But now that there are rumors of the Z8, where does the Z7 fit now? After all, the D850 is a professional camera. Best jack of all trades dSLR there is. A rumored Z8 seems to me that it would be the equivalent of a D850. So what's the purpose of the Z7 then? I see the purpose of the Z6. It's basically equivalent to the D750/D780. Maybe the Z8 will be the equivalent of the D5/D6? Then maybe there will be no Z9? Provided the Z8 isn't the D5/D6 equivalent, what's the point of the Z7?

I'm a happy owner of a D850, D500 and a Z6. Hoping to have mirrorless versions of my D850 and D500 in the next couple of years.

Apparently, many people don't think of the Z7 as a pro camera. Z8 to correct the deficiencies? Probably stop making the Z7? As it was the first iteration, no shame in moving on.

Tell my bank account the z7 isn't a pro camera

Hey bank!  The Z7 is not a pro camera!  One card slot, no vertical grip.  Nope, not pro.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,149
Bingo {nt}
-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6

john isaacs wrote:

viteaux wrote:

breivogel wrote:

Apparently, many people don't think of the Z7 as a pro camera. Z8 to correct the deficiencies? Probably stop making the Z7? As it was the first iteration, no shame in moving on.

Hey bank! The Z7 is not a pro camera! One card slot, no vertical grip. Nope, not pro.

You have to tell that to Nikon. The pro is behind the camera and for NPS members the Z7 count as a pro camera.

Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 24mm F1.8 S +1 more
FingerPainter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,267

Joop_S wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

viteaux wrote:

breivogel wrote:

Hey bank! The Z7 is not a pro camera! One card slot, no vertical grip. Nope, not pro.

You have to tell that to Nikon. The pro is behind the camera and for NPS members the Z7 count as a pro camera.

Yeah, and the D7500 and D610 count for NPS membership  too. Just because a camera qualifies one for NPS doesn't necessarily make the camera a pro camera.

There are many ways to distinguish between pro and non-pro models. In the Nikon world, a round eyepiece, settings banks instead of User settings (U1 etc.), the absence of a flash , and the absence of a mode dial are common distinguishing features of the "pro  interface".

In its own marketing material, Nikon has referred to the D5 and D6 as "Flagship FX", the D500 as "Flagship DX", the D850 as "Professional FX", the D750 as "Advanced Entry"   and the D7500 as "Enthusiast". The same era marketing material did not provide parallel labels for the Z cameras. Instead they were referred to as "Collaborator", All-Rounder":, and "Perfectionsist" for the Z50, Z6 and Z7 respectively. I have never seen Nikon refer to the Z7 as "professional".

FingerPainter wrote:

Joop_S wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

viteaux wrote:

breivogel wrote:

Yeah, and the D7500 and D610 count for NPS membership too. Just because a camera qualifies one for NPS doesn't necessarily make the camera a pro camera.

For me in the Netherlands the D7500 and D610 count NOT for the NPS membership. Only the D5 ,D4s, D4, D850, D810, D800(E) D500, Z6 and Z7.  If you don't have 2 of this list you loses your NPS membership. And after the D6 is out the D4 don't count anymore and If Nikon bring the high res Z and PJ/Sport Z out the Z6 and Z7 go after some time from that list and we have to buy new Z's . We also need 3 "pro" lenses and that can be 3 f/2.8 zooms  or f/1.4 prime lenses. You need at least 6 Nikon products. In the USA you have 3 levels of NPS membership, we only 1 and you have to prove that your income come from photography. You have to prove that every 2 years.

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,117

Jeff Self wrote:

When the Z7 debuted, everyone thought it was a mirrorless version of the D850. But now that there are rumors of the Z8, where does the Z7 fit now? After all, the D850 is a professional camera. Best jack of all trades dSLR there is. A rumored Z8 seems to me that it would be the equivalent of a D850. So what's the purpose of the Z7 then? I see the purpose of the Z6. It's basically equivalent to the D750/D780. Maybe the Z8 will be the equivalent of the D5/D6? Then maybe there will be no Z9? Provided the Z8 isn't the D5/D6 equivalent, what's the point of the Z7?

I'm a happy owner of a D850, D500 and a Z6. Hoping to have mirrorless versions of my D850 and D500 in the next couple of years.

The Z7 is also a professional camera, just like the D850, or the Z6. What makes you think otherwise...? If the Z8 will become available, it will still be a professional camera, nothing will change that. By the time the Z8 comes, the Z7 will be at least two years old, so it will be a generation change, but that doesn't render the Z7 into useless paper weight, just like if Nikon would ever come up with a crazy idea of making a D860 to replace your D850 with. Would you think that it would mean ANY change in the build quality or the performance of the D850 if it was replaced by a new model...? In fact, even if the Z8 will really be just like the D850, and Nikon scrap ALL the DSLR line, the D850 will still be a pro camera, just like the cameras it replaced a few years ago.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,501

olyflyer wrote:

Jeff Self wrote:

The Z7 is also a professional camera, just like the D850, or the Z6. What makes you think otherwise...? If the Z8 will become available, it will still be a professional camera, nothing will change that. By the time the Z8 comes, the Z7 will be at least two years old, so it will be a generation change, but that doesn't render the Z7 into useless paper weight, just like if Nikon would ever come up with a crazy idea of making a D860 to replace your D850 with. Would you think that it would mean ANY change in the build quality or the performance of the D850 if it was replaced by a new model...? In fact, even if the Z8 will really be just like the D850, and Nikon scrap ALL the DSLR line, the D850 will still be a pro camera, just like the cameras it replaced a few years ago.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Z7 is not a professional camera.  Not even close.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,473
Of course, you are right

So far I've only sold some travel pictures from my Z6 but I've only had the Z7 for a week.

-- hide signature --
 BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +12 more
sfoweatherman New Member • Posts: 5

Jeff Self wrote:

If there's a replacement to the Z7, hopefully, Nikon will address the slow follow focus to compete with Sony and now the Canon R series. The only other situation with the Z7 is the action type shooting sessions.

sfoweatherman's gear list:sfoweatherman's gear list
Sony a9 II
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,744

john isaacs wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Jeff Self wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Z7 is not a professional camera. Not even close.

LOL. Way more professional than any dinky Olympus.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +18 more
HeavyDuty Senior Member • Posts: 2,143

sfoweatherman wrote:

Jeff Self wrote:

If there's a replacement to the Z7, hopefully, Nikon will address the slow follow focus to compete with Sony and now the Canon R series. The only other situation with the Z7 is the action type shooting sessions.

The last major firmware update brought the Z to the same league as all but the Sony A9.

-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois
Railroad Action: http://www.pbase.com/kjford
Candids: http://www.pbase.com/kjford/other

HeavyDuty's gear list:HeavyDuty's gear list
Leica APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH Fujifilm X100S Canon XC10 Sigma dp0 Quattro Sony RX10 III +76 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads