With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
viteaux
viteaux New Member • Posts: 21
Re: With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

SteveCooper wrote:

Nikon considers the Z7 to be a professional body, but my Sony DSC-F828 can take some beautiful photos, so what makes it professional?

What makes a camera professional is if you make your living with it. I'd be willing to bet more people make there living with the 7xx, 8xx, and Z series than with the D3-5. Sport shooters aren't the only folks making a living with a camera.

viteaux's gear list:viteaux's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +3 more
hikerdoc Senior Member • Posts: 2,738

I still carry the Z7 as a backup for my Z8’s. It still produces great images and comes in handy when I am not shooting in some fantasy world.

hikerdoc's gear list:hikerdoc's gear list
Apple iPhone 8
anotherMike Forum Pro • Posts: 10,045

It fits in precisely where most/almost all "first attempt" cameras in a lineup fit in - still usable, still the same camera it is today, but likely more than a few steps behind in some aspects of capability because by the time the manufacturers get to the second generation, they've addressed the concerns of the first. So I would expect a Z8 will have a better EVF, better AF, 1/250th sync and dual card slots, all of which were deal breakers for me when I considered the Z7, even though for some of what I do, a Z7 would be fine as is. And when the Z8mk II or Z99 or whatever comes out, then the "original" Z8 will fall into a similar category.  And on and on it goes. It's up to each of us to figure out what matters and whether to wait for the who-knows-when "next model" and stand pat, or jump in now. Both are valid approaches depending on the person. I'm the former, many in this forum are obviously the latter.

-m

tommiejeep
tommiejeep Veteran Member • Posts: 7,351

Too much sanity for a gear Forum .   I do not have to worry.  My gear budget , gear priorities and how much fun I have shooting set the criteria .

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong but always have fun
Tom
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

JacquesC
JacquesC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,070
Re: Meanwhile ...

quintana wrote:

JacquesC wrote:

.. while you're all trying to figure out where the rumoured Z8 fits in the lineup, I'm using my Z7 to shoot some images.

With the Z8 around the corner your Z7 (and sadly mine, too) is not pro anymore. Are you sure it's capable of capturing good images?

Oh no it cannot take a good picture, but it does look pro and great just hanging round my neck

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

(unknown member) Junior Member • Posts: 30

Z 6= D750

Z 7= D850

Z 8= D850 successor (i.e. 60MP)

Z 9= D6 mirrorless

I own the D850 and look forward to adding the Z 8 (assuming the above is correct) as my first mirrorless Nikon. I’ll also probably upgrade my D850 with its successor for a last hurrah with DSLRs. The Z 7 has been tempting but I’m going to hold out for now.

Meerkato Regular Member • Posts: 194
Re: Meanwhile ...

JacquesC wrote:

.. while you're all trying to figure out where the rumoured Z8 fits in the lineup, I'm using my Z7 to shoot some images.

And replying to threads of people trying to figure out where the Z8 fits in the lineup, without sharing your Z7 pictures.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 463

It's nutty to even THINK about discarding a perfectly good camera and platform (Z7)

because somebody doesn't think it's 'pro'.

I agree with you.     And BTW?   My '6, while not 'pro' certainly produces some excellent output.

Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,740

Jeff Self wrote:

When the Z7 debuted, everyone thought it was a mirrorless version of the D850.

I don't know who "everyone" is supposed to be, but I was certainly not one of those that thought the Z7 was going to be a "mirrorless D850", before or after I purchased it when it first came out. In fact, I do not know where people get the idea it was a full on mirrorless D850. Maybe a mirrorless D850 without the AF tracking ability, but never a full on mirrorless D850, that was never going to happen.

The Z7 was never supposed to be a full on D850 mirrorless camera but instead a camera with a point of difference and that being a smaller, lighter pro spec camera that was good for everything bar AF tracking in a mirrorless body. Specifically designed to entice those that wanted a smaller lighter camera for travel and other duties where you did not want to lug around a full sized DSLR and a heavy F mount lens set in the wide angle to mid focal range with superior IQ ability.

But now that there are rumors of the Z8, where does the Z7 fit now?

In the same spot it fits into now. I use my Z7 for all duties except high demand BIF tracking. I rarely use my D850 nowadays.

After all, the D850 is a professional camera.

As is the Z7.

Best jack of all trades dSLR there is. A rumored Z8 seems to me that it would be the equivalent of a D850. So what's the purpose of the Z7 then?

As a camera that does everything for those that do not need the AF tracking of a D850 yet in a smaller, lighter body that can be matched to smaller lighter wide angle to medium focal length lenses of generally superior quality.

I see the purpose of the Z6. It's basically equivalent to the D750/D780.

But again, without the tracking ability of those cameras.

Maybe the Z8 will be the equivalent of the D5/D6?

No, more likely like the D850 but with more Mp and a larger heavier ML body than the Z7 in order to fit dual card slots more battery power and more processing power etc. The D6 will have far superior AF tracking than the Z8 and a similar AF ability will likely be in the D850 replacement.

Then maybe there will be no Z9?

Th Z9 may be a D6 mirrorless "equivalent" like the Sony A9. It may have similar AF ability of the D6 and/or D850 replacement.

Provided the Z8 isn't the D5/D6 equivalent, what's the point of the Z7?

Like I said, it will be a smaller, lighter camera than the Z8 which will likely be larger and heavier, and for those that do not need the AF tracking ability of a Z8, a much better camera fit.

I'm a happy owner of a D850, D500 and a Z6. Hoping to have mirrorless versions of my D850 and D500 in the next couple of years.

I am a very happy owner of a Z7 and a D850 and also hope to have a ML camera that has AF tracking ability so that I can ditch my D850.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +18 more
Droster Senior Member • Posts: 1,003

Ditto. Am also waiting for a Z body to ditch my D810.

The Z7 is actually more of a Z6 with a high MP sensor than a mirrorless D850. That's how I come to the two chassis, four flavours theory.

For the first pass, I wouldn't expect double CFx in both the Z8 and Z9 bodies. Double CFx is still for the D6. Maybe we'll finally see double CFx in the mark two bodies ready for the Paris 2024 games.

Droster's gear list:Droster's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
(unknown member) Junior Member • Posts: 30

Nikon’s own marketing materials and website compared the Z 6 to the D750 and the Z 7 to the D850, so it’s not unreasonable that people compare the models similarly. After all, it’s how Nikon positions the models relative to each other that gets at the gist of what OP is asking.

worldaccordingtojim
worldaccordingtojim Forum Member • Posts: 76

It is not going to be the z8 it will the z7mkii, this will be the high res sensor going forward. Nikon is taking Sony's sensors, the current one is being phased out. the Sony a7riv has this 60mp sensor, which replaced their a7riii with the current z7 processor.

worldaccordingtojim's gear list:worldaccordingtojim's gear list
Nikon Z6 Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +3 more
Anonymous Pi Contributing Member • Posts: 875

worldaccordingtojim wrote:

It is not going to be the z8 it will the z7mkii, this will be the high res sensor going forward. Nikon is taking Sony's sensors, the current one is being phased out. the Sony a7riv has this 60mp sensor, which replaced their a7riii with the current z7 processor.

Hopefully you are wrong and Nikon doesn't make the same mistake Sony did.

Occams Razor Senior Member • Posts: 1,036

Similar to the Canon R, the Z7 was a stopgap product where time to market was the priority.  The next generation bodies will be closer to what those manufacturers really wanted to release.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Occams Razor's gear list:Occams Razor's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Jay A Senior Member • Posts: 2,294

Not sure who exactly felt that the Z7 was a mirrorless version of the D850. From day one I always felt the Z7 was more like the D750. It's got the mode dial, no shutter blind, it's got the D750 electronic release socket, just to name a few things. It was always obvious to me that a higher end camera would follow.

BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 2,963
Re: With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in? - Does it matter? - n/t

No text.

SteveCooper
SteveCooper Senior Member • Posts: 1,540

viteaux wrote:

SteveCooper wrote:

Nikon considers the Z7 to be a professional body, but my Sony DSC-F828 can take some beautiful photos, so what makes it professional?

What makes a camera professional is if you make your living with it.

I was asking a rhetorical question I meant that in the right hands, you can get good photos with almost any camera, and yes, getting paid for your work=pro

-- hide signature --

(that "thing" I'm playing is called an EVI, short for Electronic Valve Instrument

SteveCooper's gear list:SteveCooper's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon D300S Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 +17 more
Anonymous Pi Contributing Member • Posts: 875

Jay A wrote:

Not sure who exactly felt that the Z7 was a mirrorless version of the D850. From day one I always felt the Z7 was more like the D750. It's got the mode dial, no shutter blind, it's got the D750 electronic release socket, just to name a few things. It was always obvious to me that a higher end camera would follow.

Well, wherever one positions it, it's probably a mistake to expect that there is necessarily going to be a one-to-one correspondence between D and Z models. Of course, we all do this -- "the D850 equivalent", "the D5/6 equivalent", "the D5600 equivalent", ... -- because it's convenient, but it can probably also be misleading.

Nikon's model lineup strategy for Z cameras may not be the same (so far it isn't) as it was for D cameras, so looking for exact equivalencies may, while the lineup is still filling out, sometimes look like Nikon has made a mistake, or, as Thom Hogan has written, that they don't want to make the Z cameras quite as good as the D cameras.

That could be true, or, it could be that we just haven't seen the full lineup yet, and maybe it will all make a lot more sense when we do. Maybe the fact that Z cameras always seem to fall between D cameras is a hint at what the full lineup will look like, perhaps a bit more streamlined (e.g., fewer DX?) and more discrete than previously.

BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,469

Jeff Self wrote:

When the Z7 debuted, everyone thought it was a mirrorless version of the D850. But now that there are rumors of the Z8, where does the Z7 fit now? After all, the D850 is a professional camera. Best jack of all trades dSLR there is. A rumored Z8 seems to me that it would be the equivalent of a D850. So what's the purpose of the Z7 then? I see the purpose of the Z6. It's basically equivalent to the D750/D780. Maybe the Z8 will be the equivalent of the D5/D6? Then maybe there will be no Z9? Provided the Z8 isn't the D5/D6 equivalent, what's the point of the Z7?

I'm a happy owner of a D850, D500 and a Z6. Hoping to have mirrorless versions of my D850 and D500 in the next couple of years.

Maybe the capacity for two 4 lane CFE cards, integral vertical grip, high capacity battery, etc. etc.

I could come up with a whole bunch of mythical specs that would improve on the Z7.

The Z7 would be what it is now and perhaps have some evolutionary improvements to stay current.

-- hide signature --
 BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +12 more
NCB Senior Member • Posts: 1,445

Z7 is for those who are basically fine with a Z6 type camera but who would appreciate significantly higher resolution coupled with no AA filter. A Z8/Z9 type of camera would have significantly more pro-type features.

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads