With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Jeff Self Junior Member • Posts: 47
With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

When the Z7 debuted, everyone thought it was a mirrorless version of the D850. But now that there are rumors of the Z8, where does the Z7 fit now? After all, the D850 is a professional camera. Best jack of all trades dSLR there is. A rumored Z8 seems to me that it would be the equivalent of a D850. So what's the purpose of the Z7 then? I see the purpose of the Z6. It's basically equivalent to the D750/D780. Maybe the Z8 will be the equivalent of the D5/D6? Then maybe there will be no Z9? Provided the Z8 isn't the D5/D6 equivalent, what's the point of the Z7?

I'm a happy owner of a D850, D500 and a Z6. Hoping to have mirrorless versions of my D850 and D500 in the next couple of years.

Jeff Self's gear list:Jeff Self's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +5 more
Casio Exilim EX-Z9 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
breivogel Senior Member • Posts: 2,403
Re: With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Jeff Self wrote:

When the Z7 debuted, everyone thought it was a mirrorless version of the D850. But now that there are rumors of the Z8, where does the Z7 fit now? After all, the D850 is a professional camera. Best jack of all trades dSLR there is. A rumored Z8 seems to me that it would be the equivalent of a D850. So what's the purpose of the Z7 then? I see the purpose of the Z6. It's basically equivalent to the D750/D780. Maybe the Z8 will be the equivalent of the D5/D6? Then maybe there will be no Z9? Provided the Z8 isn't the D5/D6 equivalent, what's the point of the Z7?

I'm a happy owner of a D850, D500 and a Z6. Hoping to have mirrorless versions of my D850 and D500 in the next couple of years.

Apparently,  many people don't think of the Z7 as a pro camera. Z8 to correct the deficiencies?  Probably stop making the Z7?  As it was  the first iteration,  no shame in moving on.

breivogel's gear list:breivogel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony RX100 III Olympus TG-5 Sony RX100 IV +19 more
avatar77 Regular Member • Posts: 265

Jeff Self wrote:

My guess is Z6/Z7 are combined into a single mk II product with the Sony 36 mp sensor. Z5 24mp entry, Z6 or 7 36mp middle, Z8 60mp top, Z9 24mp sports.

avatar77's gear list:avatar77's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +4 more
Anonymous Pi Contributing Member • Posts: 875

The Z8 is rumored to be a 60MP camera. The Z7 is 45MP. And the Z6 is 24MP.

The Z7 fits in between the Z6 & Z8 for those who want more resolution than a Z6 but don't want to go all the way to, or pay for, 60MP. Seems fairly logical.

gremlin17 Regular Member • Posts: 117

I just hope whatever it is, that it comes with a sensible price tag.

Laslo Varadi
Laslo Varadi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,556

Jeff Self wrote:

Maybe a competitor to the Sony A7riv.

Laslo Varadi's gear list:Laslo Varadi's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 28mm F2 +3 more
JacquesC
JacquesC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,070
Meanwhile ...

.. while you're all trying to figure out where the rumoured Z8 fits in the lineup, I'm using my Z7 to shoot some images.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

viteaux
viteaux New Member • Posts: 21

breivogel wrote:

Jeff Self wrote:

Apparently, many people don't think of the Z7 as a pro camera. Z8 to correct the deficiencies? Probably stop making the Z7? As it was the first iteration, no shame in moving on.

Tell my bank account the z7 isn't a pro camera 

viteaux's gear list:viteaux's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
quintana Regular Member • Posts: 391
Re: Meanwhile ...

JacquesC wrote:

.. while you're all trying to figure out where the rumoured Z8 fits in the lineup, I'm using my Z7 to shoot some images.

With the Z8 around the corner your Z7 (and sadly mine, too) is not pro anymore. Are you sure it's capable of capturing good images?

quintana's gear list:quintana's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 20,120

In many ways the Z7 is fully up with the D850 - including resolution and with ML differences.

In other ways the Z7 is a bit like the D750 with a small buffer and single card slot.

I expect either a Pro model with faster fps, much improved AF, big buffer, twin CFExpress slots, or a 60 MP D850 upgrade with a big buffer.

There are some signs Nikon are following Sony' example of continuing older models such as D750 and D850 at much reduced prices after new cameras are launched - except there is no D850 replacement announced yet.

Time will tell what Nikon launches next - other than as always there will be new products in the future.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +28 more
Droster Senior Member • Posts: 1,000

IMO, the Z7 will probably still be around as the high MP version of the 24MP entry level model using the same entry level chassis.

So in the end they really only have to design two full frame chassis, an entry-level "crippled" version and a high-end version with more buttons and maybe a bigger battery. Each come with two different sensors.

Droster's gear list:Droster's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +6 more

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

... I expect either a Pro model with faster fps, much improved AF, big buffer, twin CFExpress slots, or a 60 MP D850 upgrade with a big buffer. ...

If the NR's rumors are correct, we won't see either of those this year (2020), but will see the, "60 MP D850 upgrade," next year (2021). I suspect we will also see the, "Pro model with faster fps, much improved AF, big buffer, twin CFExpress slots," (i.e., the "mirrorless D6") next year (September±).

Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 13,839

Jeff Self wrote:

When the Z7 debuted, everyone thought it was a mirrorless version of the D850. But now that there are rumors of the Z8, where does the Z7 fit now?

its in my hands, and when it’s not there it fits on my tripod or a monopod or a Platypod, in a shoulder bag or in a rolling case, depending on where I am going and how I am transporting it to wherever I’m going.

After all, the D850 is a professional camera.

so is the Z7. At least it is when I am using it.

Best jack of all trades dSLR there is.

i know! Just like the Z7 is the most versatile, well rounded, best handling, capable mirrorless camera on the market today.

A rumored Z8 seems to me that it would be the equivalent of a D850.
m

That remains to be seen. I can tell you from personal experience that at any ISO over 640 the Z7 has a better signal to noise ratio than the Sony A7R4, which likely uses the same sensor (but not processing engine pipeline) as the Z8 likely will use.

So what's the purpose of the Z7 then?

Making photographs NOW, as opposed to waiting for a camera that right is only a rumor.

I see the purpose of the Z6. It's basically equivalent to the D750/D780.

a little sanity inserts itself.

Maybe the Z8 will be the equivalent of the D5/D6?

Like the Canon EOS 1DX and Sony A9 cameras, the D5, S6 cameras are relatively (compared to the D850, Z7, A7RIII and A7R4, and 5DS and 5DSR) low resolution cameras optimized for Photography requiring high ISO settings and very high frame rate in contrasty lighting.

Then maybe there will be no Z9?

Provided the Z8 isn't the D5/D6 equivalent, what's the point of the Z7?

Making photographs NOW, as opposed to waiting for a camera that right is only a rumor.

I'm a happy owner of a D850, D500 and a Z6. Hoping to have mirrorless versions of my D850

It’s available now and it’s called the Nikon Z7. But hey, it’s really not the equivalent of the D850, it’s actually better. Better AF performance, better handling, less bulk and weight, and more fun to photograph with.

and D500 in the next couple of years.

looking forward to seeing the pictures you are making NOW.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on instagram @therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +1 more
Spiros Liolis
Spiros Liolis Regular Member • Posts: 262
Fits in my bag, snuggles in my hand!

NT

-- hide signature --

Spiros Liolis
I'm a hobbyist. I don't make money from photography. So my views, and suggestions are not, in any way, shape, or form, professional grade. I'm here to learn and get ideas.

Spiros Liolis's gear list:Spiros Liolis's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P6000 DxO One Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 GoPro Hero5 Black +5 more
jtosbo00
jtosbo00 Forum Member • Posts: 77

I don’t see any Z series camera being an equivalent of the D5/D6 cameras right now or in the future. A major distinction is that these cameras are about speed.  Increasing the megapixels is going to hinder a camera’s speed capabilities.  The Z8, if rumors are correct on the 60mb, is not a D5/D6 (or sports camera) equivalent but simply a pro landscape camera.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X Trans and Nikon Z

jtosbo00's gear list:jtosbo00's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z7 Nikon D850

jtosbo00 wrote:

I don’t see any Z series camera being an equivalent of the D5/D6 cameras right now or in the future. A major distinction is that these cameras are about speed. Increasing the megapixels is going to hinder a camera’s speed capabilities. The Z8, if rumors are correct on the 60mb, is not a D5/D6 (or sports camera) equivalent but simply a pro landscape camera.

You’re right, the Z8 is not going to be a D6 equivalent. The D6 equivalent will be a Z9 and it won’t be out till late summer early fall 2021.

maljo@inreach.com Veteran Member • Posts: 7,912
where does the Z7 fit in? in your camera bag

I see having the Z7 and Z8 in my bag.  The Z8 would replace the D850.  I am moving to almost all Z lenses.  I will keep the long telephoto F lenses.

maljo

maljo@inreach.com's gear list:maljo@inreach.com's gear list
Nikon D850 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D500 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R
Geomaticsman Senior Member • Posts: 2,835
We'll know when the Z8 is announced...

Until we know more about the Z8, it's impossible to answer this question.

-- hide signature --

Garfield

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +5 more
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,855

There's no reason that we can't have a Z6, Z7 and Z8 where the Z8 is just higher end than the Z7 (more megapixels, faster AF, dual slots, real grip available, etc...) and is more of what one would expect from a true "pro" camera.  Probably the price of the Z7 would come down and the Z8 would slot in above the Z7 price.

Remember, we had D600, D750, D800-D850 in the product line for dSLRs.   So, there's nothing written in stone that one can only have two regular bodies in the Z product line.

-- hide signature --

John

SteveCooper
SteveCooper Senior Member • Posts: 1,540

The Z7 has more resolution than the Z6, and less resolution than the rumored Z8. The Z7 is the closest mirrorless equivalent to the D850. The rumored Z8 will have more resolution than the D850, but unless they have a new Expeed 7, I can't imagine the rumored Z8 will be as fast as the D850 or Z7 since it is rumored to use the 60MP (approximate) sensor.

Nikon considers the Z7 to be a professional body, but my Sony DSC-F828 can take some beautiful photos, so what makes it professional?

-- hide signature --

(that "thing" I'm playing is called an EVI, short for Electronic Valve Instrument

SteveCooper's gear list:SteveCooper's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D300S Nikon Z6 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads