Remote shutter release options for Canon 5Ds

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
jmclane187 New Member • Posts: 3
Remote shutter release options for Canon 5Ds

Hi everyone,

I am a architectural photographer and I am switching from a Nikon system, where I used the wonderful WRT10 as a wireless shutter release for my D850. I am now using Canon 5DS and looking for a similar option. The issue I have found is most wireless radio triggers for Canon use a receiver that sit in the hotshot of the body, which conflicts with my pocket wizard. Has anyone found a better solution to this?

I like using the wireless trigger rather than the corded release because I don't like the hanging remote off the camera.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kreygscott
kreygscott Senior Member • Posts: 1,279
Re: Remote shutter release options for Canon 5Ds

jmclane187 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am a architectural photographer and I am switching from a Nikon system, where I used the wonderful WRT10 as a wireless shutter release for my D850. I am now using Canon 5DS and looking for a similar option. The issue I have found is most wireless radio triggers for Canon use a receiver that sit in the hotshot of the body, which conflicts with my pocket wizard. Has anyone found a better solution to this?

I like using the wireless trigger rather than the corded release because I don't like the hanging remote off the camera.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

Get yourself a Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote Control.

-- hide signature --

LANDSCAPE, TRAVEL & OUTDOOR PHOTOGRAPHY
My Website
http://kreygscott.com
My Stock Portfolio
http://shutterstock.com/g/kreygscottphotography
My Blog
https://www.kreygscott.com/blog

kreygscott's gear list:kreygscott's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +10 more
ajscullard Senior Member • Posts: 1,024

Doesn't PocketWizard also produce a remote shutter release for Canon cameras which would leverage your existing PW controller?

GreatWhiteWing Senior Member • Posts: 1,204

jmclane187 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

I use an RC-1 with my 5D4 and is not listed by Canon as compatible that I could find but it does indeed work and quite cheap and it's also very simple to use. I got that when I was using a Rebel (500D)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2057872.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC1.A0.H0.XCANON+RC-1.TRS0&_nkw=CANON+RC-1&_sacat=0

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 1.4X Pro Teleconverter Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
apersson850 Senior Member • Posts: 1,757

I was about to suggest you use your phone, but then I realized the 5Ds and 5DsR are based on the 5D Mark III platform. Thus no built-in WiFi network in these cameras.

-- hide signature --

Anders

apersson850's gear list:apersson850's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +26 more
ashton lamont
ashton lamont Contributing Member • Posts: 598

I have two wireless units that I use with the 5DS-R the 5D-IV and the 6D-II.

One is the Phottix Aion and the other is the Rollei. Both work great and will get over long distances and through objects. Both have quite a lot of extra features other than simply shutter release.

Both of the receivers have hot shoes so you can sit them on top if you wish but the shoes are dumb so sitting won't actually do anything.

Both of the transmitters are transceivers when wired so you can just use that part if you wish.

The Phottix receivers and transmitters both have lanyards attachable so you can e.g. just hang a receiver on a tripod or suchlike and the receivers wire goes into the socket on the front of the 5DS whilst you fire from the transmitter as far away as you want.

The Rollei does not have lanyards so I improvised with some of my own; you could just as easily attach the Rollei receiver to a suitable clamp / hotshoe etc on your tripod.

I did buy a similar unit from Pixel but it was a poor experience for me; can't recall why.

You can add a dual hot shoe bracket from Andoer if you want a gun and a trigger in the same place on top. Be aware that ETTL does not work on both sockets simultaneously but you'd only be using one for flash anyway:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Andoer-Dual-Hot-Shoe-Flash-Speedlite-Light-Bracket-Splitter-Canon-DSLR-L2E4-/223073503584

-- hide signature --

Pete

ashton lamont
ashton lamont Contributing Member • Posts: 598

Meant to add that the 5DS does not have wifi but you can add a Canon wifi card to the SD card slot and get to use your smartphone as a trigger and much more:

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/wi-fi-adapter-w-e1/

-- hide signature --

Pete

cjb Regular Member • Posts: 379
CamRanger works great. May be overkill.

https://camranger.com/camranger-mini/

It can hang off the side of the camera, so it won't take your hotshoe. I just hang it in the bag on a tripod attachment near the tripod head.

The value of the system is in the App, not the hardware. It offers a ton of flexibility and control.

cjb's gear list:cjb's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Fujifilm X-H1 +26 more
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,101

Doing this professionally?  If so spend the money and get the CamRanger.  Having live view and full camera control from a tablet or phone up to several hundred feet away is invaluable.  The time you will save in staging the scene and lighting (if you do this) will pay for the device in a couple of shoots.

I don't have the CamRanger but used the wifi to a tablet extensively with a 6D for commissioned architecture.  Using live view, I saved so much time staging interiors that I couldn't imagine going back to the old method (check through viewfinder, adjust scene, repeat ad nauseam).

The feature works great on my 5D4 also, but with limited range.  If I wasn't semi-stepping away from these gigs I'd have invested in a CamRanger years ago.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads