Hi Rez with Em5ii - photos

Started Feb 21, 2020 | Discussions
amblepath Contributing Member • Posts: 543
Hi Rez with Em5ii - photos

Had a lot of fun with the Hi rez feature today.  Did some multishots that I stitched together in Lightroom.  One ended up as a 130mp jpeg.

This is resized of course.  12 hi rez photos stitched.  Up Sea to Sky Gondola in Squamish. BC

This one is full size single shot.

It would be fun to see peoples  hi rez shots.

-- hide signature --

Thanks, Mike

VideoPic
VideoPic Senior Member • Posts: 1,931
Great idea.....

Hi Mike

Great work, congrats. I sold my EM5 II when I bought my Pen F at the time. Interesting I always missed it. Then when the MKIII was launched last year a flood MKII came onto the 2nd market.....no need to say I am now the proud owner again....

I see you have -1.3EV exposure comp, does the camera do that when in multi exposure? If you did that on purpose you might like to try ETTR, especially when doing landscapes. As little as +0,5 EV can add lots of workable data to your image. See the link to my blog below, I wrote an article on that.....

Great idea show casing high res shots.... will go do one in the morning....

-- hide signature --

Olympus Mirrorless Cameras are proven to be the most balanced Camera offer....
https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/
https://www.instagram.com/olympus_enthusiast/

VideoPic's gear list:VideoPic's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
OP amblepath Contributing Member • Posts: 543
Re: Hi Rez with Em5ii - photos

In bright light we had no trouble having a person in the picture. Of course no action.

-- hide signature --

Thanks, Mike

Re: Great idea.....

Thanks for the link. Very interesting.

I was trying to expose so as to not lose detail in the snow on the mountain tops. To be honest I should be more up on the technical end of things considering how long I've been in to photography. Been too lazy with it I guess.

-- hide signature --

Thanks, Mike

Winmeister
Winmeister Contributing Member • Posts: 505
My main reason for using M4/3 as well

I use extensively too. Especially landscape with very good success. Especially G9 after latest FW update. I have EM5ii and 2xEM1ii as well and for high res G9 is quite a bit better.

I have posted many on these forums.

Yes, people on these forums are not excited by High Res features and talks more about AF, BIF, low lights etc. I haven't completely or exclusively use M4/3. I have in my bag G9 with battery grip and either A7Rii or A7Riii with battery grip and use adapters which both can share FF lenses.

For me it's a big deal. I have money for A7Riv but decided to wait for G10 or something of M4/3 from Panasonic.

Winmeister's gear list:Winmeister's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +71 more
Re: My main reason for using M4/3 as well

Excellent photos.  Architecture and Art are great subjects for Hi Rez I would imagine.  Brought back memories.  I went through Italy back in 1980.

-- hide signature --

Thanks, Mike

TRIODEROB
TRIODEROB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,553

amblepath wrote:

Excellent photos. Architecture and Art are great subjects for Hi Rez I would imagine. Brought back memories. I went through Italy back in 1980.

I just did these 2 hi-rez 4/3 today

VideoPic
How to record more good image data

amblepath wrote:

Thanks for the link. Very interesting.

Thanks....

I was trying to expose so as to not lose detail in the snow on the mountain tops. To be honest I should be more up on the technical end of things considering how long I've been in to photography. Been too lazy with it I guess.

Mike I don't think there are hard rules.... I think the main thing is... you the artist at the point you take the image and you ending your work in-front of your PC.....

That said, one suggestion - looking at the above image consider this..... the snow is the smaller percentage of the image and the trees, water, mountains 80% plus.

You basically exposed for the snow which is of little value if they white or white with details?

Where you like better data is the shadows and mid tones. What I explain in my article is shifting the histogram to the right will enable your camera to record more image data (tonal data) because we know most tonal data is recorded in the highlights (right side of the histogram)

Try one of your next images....let the show selectively blow out and see if you can get half or even a full stop ETTR and test if you get more detail in the trees to play with....

Best

Siegfried

-- hide signature --

Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
Walt Palmer
Walt Palmer Senior Member • Posts: 1,921

In what way(s) is the G9 quite a bit better than the EM1.2, please?

-- hide signature --

-- thus saith Walter ("Who?") Palmer, Ctr

Winmeister

Walt Palmer wrote:

Mode 2 of High Res mode 2 leaves no ghosting and only less details locally where things are moving, which should be very small portion of your image in reality. Olympus can't handle anything that moves. I thought EM1.3 High Res was going to be as good or better but from what I have seen no. Just the post processing in camara between Oly and Panny. I have both EM1.2 and G9 maybe EM1X is different in camera algorithm to EM1.2 and EM1.3 but for sure G9 algorithm is better. FW update could fix but not sure internal hardware of EM1.2 is too old now.

VideoPic
I think it's more important to be able to focus?

Winmeister wrote:

Walt Palmer wrote:

Mode 2 of High Res mode 2 leaves no ghosting and only less details locally where things are moving, which should be very small portion of your image in reality. Olympus can't handle anything that moves. I thought EM1.3 High Res was going to be as good or better but from what I have seen no. Just the post processing in camara between Oly and Panny. I have both EM1.2 and G9 maybe EM1X is different in camera algorithm to EM1.2 and EM1.3 but for sure G9 algorithm is better. FW update could fix but not sure internal hardware of EM1.2 is too old now.

- I am trying a G9 currently and was surprised at how bad the CAF on the G9 really is, especially in video mode - its OK if you have a MF person running alongside you

- Thing is if you used to the EM1 II amazing focus then its difficult to get used to the G9

- Personally I also think IBIS on Olympus is a step ahead...

- The G9 is HUGE & heavy - with the EM1 at least I have the choice to keep it small and compact or add a bottom plate and have it the same size as a G9

- And that huge EVF - awful - the sides are bend you need to squeeze against the side of the EVF to see it all, especially the bend sides - with the EM1 you can have your eye a little away and still see it all fantastically....

Does this all matter - no....its really all up to personal choice & needs, whats good for me might be horrible to the next guy....

So why even start the stupid argument you made? Most important you add NOTHING of value or support to the OP request for having fun and post images.....

-- hide signature --

TRIODEROB
TRIODEROB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,553

Winmeister wrote:

Walt Palmer wrote:

I agree

the hi rez mode on the G9 is amazing - plus the size, ergonomics and menu setup are close to perfect

the only way the Olympus is better is if you need phase detect focus for birds in flight with busy distracting backgrounds.

VideoPic
Those blues in the sky......

Is the image out the camera or did you edit it?

Panasonic always had a thing with blue skies it has always been difficult to get right, I thought the G9 was better or at least that is what I experienced..... could be the multi shot that adds the purple cast?

-- hide signature --

rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,016

I LOVE the hi-rez on my G9, and enjoy viewing yours.

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

Winmeister
Re: I think it's more important to be able to focus?

VideoPic wrote:

Winmeister wrote:

Walt Palmer wrote:

- I am trying a G9 currently and was surprised at how bad the CAF on the G9 really is, especially in video mode - its OK if you have a MF person running alongside you

- Thing is if you used to the EM1 II amazing focus then its difficult to get used to the G9

- Personally I also think IBIS on Olympus is a step ahead...

- The G9 is HUGE & heavy - with the EM1 at least I have the choice to keep it small and compact or add a bottom plate and have it the same size as a G9

- And that huge EVF - awful - the sides are bend you need to squeeze against the side of the EVF to see it all, especially the bend sides - with the EM1 you can have your eye a little away and still see it all fantastically....

Does this all matter - no....its really all up to personal choice & needs, whats good for me might be horrible to the next guy....

So why even start the stupid argument you made? Most important you add NOTHING of value or support to the OP request for having fun and post images.....

I don't disagree with you and with the M4/3lenses I have, which are mostly Olympus, anything that moves fast that I want to shoot, I will either take EM1.2 or Sony RX10iv.

Winmeister

rashid7 wrote:

I LOVE the hi-rez on my G9, and enjoy viewing yours.

Fantastic images! Right now for travelling, the only M4/3 I will take is G9! With Sony A7Rii or A7Riii of course!!:-)

VideoPic
Agree awesome set of images.....nt
-- hide signature --

JohnD41 Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: Great idea.....

beautiful photos, great detail and color

rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,016

thanks Win!  I have the 7Rii as well

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

lavarider New Member • Posts: 14
how did you stabilize the camera?

Thank you for sharing your high-res photos!

How do you stabilize your EM5ii? Did you carry a tripod while hiking? Or did you stabilize you camera somehow differently?

(I am attracted to the resolution gain for outdoor/nature shots, however carrying a tripod is a big downside for me)

lavarider's gear list:lavarider's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads