Lumix DC-G9

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
dhm73 New Member • Posts: 9
Lumix DC-G9

Hi,I have a problem with my G9.
On every recorded video clip (regardless of set Img quality) there is no sound at the beginning for approx. 0.5 seconds.
It is very annoying during editing video files having to chop of the first second of footage because of that.
I'd ask Panasonic for help but i was told to make a factory reset and /or push the record button faster .!!!!!
I've tried everything without success.
Anyone has encountered same Problem or could there be something wrong with my Camera .?
Any advise or info would be greatly appreciated .
thank you .

Regards dhm73

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jrharvey592 Regular Member • Posts: 334
Re: Lumix DC-G9

dhm73 wrote:

On every recorded video clip (regardless of set Img quality) there is no sound at the beginning for approx. 0.5 seconds.
It is very annoying during editing video files having to chop of the first second of footage because of that.
I'd ask Panasonic for help but i was told to make a factory reset and /or push the record button faster .!!!!!
Anyone has encountered same Problem or could there be something wrong with my Camera .?
thank you .

Regards dhm73

Interesting. I do not have this problem and I have 2 G9s

Jeff4500
Jeff4500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,793

I do not have that issue. What speed are your cards? What is your recording codec?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jeff

Jeff4500's gear list:Jeff4500's gear list
Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
PlumShots Contributing Member • Posts: 704
What was the outcome when you had a similar issue...

dhm73 wrote:

thank you .

Regards dhm73

… with an FZ 1000 a few months ago (thread linked just below):

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63082491

Cheers.

PlumShots's gear list:PlumShots's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III
brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,772
Re: What was the outcome when you had a similar issue...

PlumShots wrote:

… with an FZ 1000 a few months ago (thread linked just below):

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63082491

Wow, that's a suspicious coincidence for someone who has three posts total in this forum.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +16 more
OP dhm73 New Member • Posts: 9

Hi,exactly same problem,thats why i sold the FZ 1000 and bought the G9 !!!!

Hi,I've attached a low resolution video file to demonstrate the problem.The file consist of 3 consecutive video clips where you can clearly hear the missing audio in between the clips.

liquidsquid Senior Member • Posts: 1,957

I would suggest that the problem is not the camera, but a problem on whatever machine you are processing video on. A bad codec, bad software, etc.

Try playing back the same clip in-camera, do you have the same problem there?

Are you using an external microphone? Perhaps there is some odd interaction with the AGC and the microphone causing the AGC to go to minimum gain when it first starts up.

-- hide signature --

My pictures...
{Whoops, dead link!}

liquidsquid's gear list:liquidsquid's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9

Hi,same problem when i play back the clip in the Camera !

JosephScha Veteran Member • Posts: 6,343

Are you using an external microphone?  How is it powered?  Could it be that the microphone takes 1/2 second to go active?

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +5 more

Hi,No i only use the built in microphone.

below i little video.Consisting of 3 short  consecutive recorded video clips demonstrating the missing audio at every clip beginning.

https://vimeo.com/392971100

thank you for your response .

PlumShots Contributing Member • Posts: 704
Link is not working...please try again. /nt

dhm73 wrote:

below i little video.Consisting of 3 short consecutive recorded video clips demonstrating the missing audio at every clip beginning.

Cheers.

PlumShots's gear list:PlumShots's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III
Kubicide Contributing Member • Posts: 515
No problem here...

Audio is fine on my G9. No delays, never had any.

cameron2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,983

dhm73 wrote:

below i little video.Consisting of 3 short consecutive recorded video clips demonstrating the missing audio at every clip beginning.

From your description, it appears to be a hardware issue with the camera. It could be caused by a bad capacitor, for example. If it's still within a return / exchange window, I would take advantage of that. Otherwise, you have to decide whether or not it's worth repairing ... chances are pretty good that it won't get any worse with time.

cameron2's gear list:cameron2's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Hasselblad X1D

Hi,My camera is still under warrenty,I'll see what i do,have it send for possible repair or keep on doing what i'm doing so far.

thank you .

regards dhm73

Pete Berry Veteran Member • Posts: 3,699

dhm73 wrote:

You need to either give us the Vimeo PW or remove it to play your link.

I just shot several short clips of live music on the tube, and can almost convince myself of a very brief delay in sound on re-play - maybe a tenth of a sec., but would like to hear your demo before splicing them uncut in PD to listen for sound dropouts.

Pete

hi,i'm not very familiar with vimeo.....please try this !

thanks .

Caramel0 New Member • Posts: 8

Hello dhm73

I have exactly the same Thing. 400ms no audio on every movie clip. Independent of the movie format or resolution. I sent the camara (still under waranty for repair). They returned it saying, "the camera works according specs". Now as I see there are other persons without this problem, I think it is a problem on my camera.

So dhm73, have you found a solution for this?

Regards

Kubicide Contributing Member • Posts: 515

Caramel0 wrote:

Hello dhm73

I have exactly the same Thing. 400ms no audio on every movie clip. Independent of the movie format or resolution. I sent the camara (still under waranty for repair). They returned it saying, "the camera works according specs". Now as I see there are other persons without this problem, I think it is a problem on my camera.

So dhm73, have you found a solution for this?

Regards

Are you sure it's not PC related? Or SD card related? The G9 works perfectly. It's been reviewed, like, 100 times or so and no one has had trouble with audio desync from the camera side. An electrical design won't deviate - it either works or doesn't. User side issues, probably.

Caramel0 New Member • Posts: 8

Hello Kubicide

Sure I did a test with other SD Cards and other PC to examine the video clips. Today I got an answer from Panasonic support, telling me this is normal to have the 500ms audio missing at beginning of each clip, to "suppress camera noise, eg. rec button". I really cannot belive this answer. So I try to convince Panasonic, that my model has some recording flaw.

On my OneDrive, I have 5 original clips done with a fixed camara. I have recorded 2 sec, wait 1 sec and record again .. Then I joined the clips. (Ausgabe.mp4). If you play the joined videoclip, you hear the 4 "joints" as small audio pauses. The video has no frame lost during the pauses.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj6i4w0Ez_1hjc4yzYZTiBawoHj8Dw?e=cmgtX7

Regards

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads