First Day with 1DXMKIII - Observations Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
t6 Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: First Day with 1DXMKIII - Findings

Then maybe you'd sell it quickly. Could minimize your loss as currently many desperately waiting/trying to get this camera.

t6's gear list:t6's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-A1 +45 more
tvstaff
OP tvstaff Senior Member • Posts: 2,521

t6 wrote:

Then maybe you'd sell it quickly. Could minimize your loss as currently many desperately waiting/trying to get this camera.

Actually, the camera does not work with one of my Canon lenses, 24-70 that works on my 1DX and 1DXMKII

has issues with the 600EXRTII, but works on 1DX and MKII

has excessive noise

A lot OOF shots even when you're right on the subject.

Perhaps I just got a bad copy?  I've been using 1DX's since they first came out and sometimes you can get a bad copy or one that has firmware issues or a PCB that acts up.

I've been through the first 1DX's and 1DXII's as a first adopter and it took me 5 copies of the first 1DXMKII's to get two working copies.  Been through the mirror box issues, faulty PCB's, incompatible cards and overheating.

From the service advisories/recalls and everything else you can throw at a new camera beside it just not working  Been there.

For some reason, I thought this would be different.   I'm sure Canon will eventually get all the kinks out with the camera and every single lens and accessory... as users help by coming forward.

I'll never forget the day I took a new 1DXMKII to a photoshoot, everything was going great then all of a sudden the camera froze, I had to take the battery in and out to get it going again.....   Another few shots same thing.....

I switched to my backup, which was at the time, was a 1DX.

At the end of the shoot, I saw that almost every shot on the MKII was useless.  Half frames and in some instances just colored lines or stripes.   I'll never forget that day.  My heart sank to the floor.  The models, makeup, lights, athletes all there.  I learned a very expensive lesson.

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +23 more
Pocket Lint Contributing Member • Posts: 856

tvstaff wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

i am underwhelmed

Me too. I can't tell you how disappointed I am.

That doesn’t sound reassuring, would the mk II be good and save the money for lenses?

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +2 more
tvstaff

Pocket Lint wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

i am underwhelmed

That doesn’t sound reassuring, would the mk II be good and save the money for lenses?

Right now yes.  I'm seeing MKII's at great prices and the platform is pretty solid.

If you "have" to get shots and the food on your table depends on it.   Stick with the MKII until the kinks are out.

Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +23 more
gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 1,867
Re: First Day with 1DXMKIII - Observations

Pocket Lint wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Occams Razor wrote:

I thought you stated in a previous post that you were disappointed with the resolution in the 1DX3 and were not going to buy the new body. What changed your mind?

Thanks for posting your initial observations.

Canon's marketing material led me to beleive there would be a "noted" difference in IQ from the MK11 to the MKIII.

So I figured " what the heck". I'm not seeing any improvement in IQ after taking 100's of thousands of shots with 1DXMKII to compare things to.

But as stated, there are apparent video enhancements. However I'm a still photographer for extreme sports and fast moving runway fashion with difficult lighting and shadows.

If there is no boost in IQ, the MKII is just fine for me until I can improve on it, with another camera. To be fair, I'll keep trying with the MKIII to see if I can get any boost in IQ in any of the circumstances I shoot in.

Why Canon did not improve the viability of focus points is beyond me. I'm having a hard time seeing it on objects in dark and bright light. The squares are smaller and on bright settings no help. Swithching exposure modes is also utilizing super tiny indicator. All of which Happy to accept if IQ is vastly improved.

Hope I'm not chasing windmills.

That sounds a bit annoying, dim AF points. When I saw the change in shape to smaller rectangles in the release video I thought it was a little odd. Because the AF sensor has more resolution and is denser, that could explain the smaller AF points. Hopefully this dimness issue can be rectified in a firmware update. I quite like the square AF points.

Agreed. The AF points are actually supposed to represent the actual size, so it would not be helpful to make the squares larger than the actual AF points.

They don't seem that dim to me.  I used it outdoors with my sunglasses on and had no trouble seeing the squares.  I didn't actually check to see if they had brightness settings.

tvstaff

gimp_dad wrote:

Pocket Lint wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Occams Razor wrote:

I thought you stated in a previous post that you were disappointed with the resolution in the 1DX3 and were not going to buy the new body. What changed your mind?

Canon's marketing material led me to beleive there would be a "noted" difference in IQ from the MK11 to the MKIII.

So I figured " what the heck". I'm not seeing any improvement in IQ after taking 100's of thousands of shots with 1DXMKII to compare things to.

But as stated, there are apparent video enhancements. However I'm a still photographer for extreme sports and fast moving runway fashion with difficult lighting and shadows.

If there is no boost in IQ, the MKII is just fine for me until I can improve on it, with another camera. To be fair, I'll keep trying with the MKIII to see if I can get any boost in IQ in any of the circumstances I shoot in.

Why Canon did not improve the viability of focus points is beyond me. I'm having a hard time seeing it on objects in dark and bright light. The squares are smaller and on bright settings no help. Swithching exposure modes is also utilizing super tiny indicator. All of which Happy to accept if IQ is vastly improved.

That sounds a bit annoying, dim AF points. When I saw the change in shape to smaller rectangles in the release video I thought it was a little odd. Because the AF sensor has more resolution and is denser, that could explain the smaller AF points. Hopefully this dimness issue can be rectified in a firmware update. I quite like the square AF points.

Agreed. The AF points are actually supposed to represent the actual size, so it would not be helpful to make the squares larger than the actual AF points.

They don't seem that dim to me. I used it outdoors with my sunglasses on and had no trouble seeing the squares. I didn't actually check to see if they had brightness settings.

I use single point a lot and I find it difficult to see in sun and with similar colors.  Your menu will allow you to brighten if you want.

gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 1,867

tvstaff wrote:

gimp_dad wrote:

Pocket Lint wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Occams Razor wrote:

They don't seem that dim to me. I used it outdoors with my sunglasses on and had no trouble seeing the squares. I didn't actually check to see if they had brightness settings.

I use single point a lot and I find it difficult to see in sun and with similar colors. Your menu will allow you to brighten if you want.

Thanks! I'll try it. Hasn't been an issue for me so far but havent taken shots over bright water or in snowy conditions yet...

Sage Senior Member • Posts: 2,477

tvstaff wrote:

Pocket Lint wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

i am underwhelmed

Right now yes. I'm seeing MKII's at great prices and the platform is pretty solid.

If you "have" to get shots and the food on your table depends on it. Stick with the MKII until the kinks are out.

You are very likely still within the retailer's return window.  I would either return it for a refund or get another copy. I suspect you would be less frustrated to get a full refund now. Repurchase down the road after Canon fixes the bugs.

Sage's gear list:Sage's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Sony a6000 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +22 more
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 8,063

tvstaff wrote:

Pocket Lint wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

i am underwhelmed

Right now yes. I'm seeing MKII's at great prices and the platform is pretty solid.

If you "have" to get shots and the food on your table depends on it. Stick with the MKII until the kinks are out.

so you are saying its worth keeping 1D v.3 until canon comes out with new firmware?

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

Neil189
Neil189 Regular Member • Posts: 258

I received mine this week, and haven’t seen any of the things you’re talking about, but, I do not own a mark 2 to compare to, and have not processed raw files. I do own a 5d4. Also I have only tried one lens, the 100-400ii.  I am confident you know much more about these cameras than me and with your use of them, but I am very surprised nevertheless.

I have no problems seeing the focus points.

I see very little noise in low-mid iso in JPEGs

In 5d vs 1d Jpegs, I see much less noise throughout, but more detail with 5d, almost as if jpeg engine is applying more nr (less noise but less detail)

I have not tried the 600ex so can’t say.

I have no problem seeing exposure modes in vf

I have no misfocused shots

Color is better than 5d in jpegs for me

1d iso 200:

1d iso 12800:

5d iso 10000:

1d iso 100, I don’t see any loss in detail of fur:

1d iso1600 I don’t see much noise

1d iso 10000

5d4 iso 8000

-- hide signature --

*These are the old days

Neil189's gear list:Neil189's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Nikon Coolpix AW100 Fujifilm X100T Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-T2 +6 more
superclarkey
superclarkey Regular Member • Posts: 178

I've come from a 5D4 so the upgrade to the 1DX3 feels like a massive step for me, I agree with the above comments that the images seem to pop more with colours but clearly not as sharp as the 5D4, but I understand the trade off for fast AF and speed.

As many may know my issue with the 1DX3 was stuck pixels (dead) which has ruined my first experience with the new camera as its currently at Canon CPS (UK) having the sensor remapped. I have never had issues with stuck pixels before (well not noticed enough to cause an issue) but the 1DX3 seems very high in the number of pixels that seem to glow even in short exposures. When doing a few long exposures it was like looking at a Christmas tree..

I'm staying positive and fingers crossed that when it comes back it will be a great copy and I'll be able to work with it, if not it will have to be exchanged which will suck, as I could be back to square one.

I didn't notice any AF issues though, it seemed to be very precises and lock on well.. I Tried some long bursts and had no issues with AF drop out etc, but I will try more when I get mine back from Canon this week. (I only got to shoot about 1600shots before it was sent in).

Just glad I'm a Platinum CPS member so I get it back quickly! but have 30days to return it to the seller.

(EDIT: the photos of the dog, the 5d clearly has more detail but the blacks looks more crushed, maybe more contrast, but the 1DX images look way more pleasing to my eyes)

superclarkey's gear list:superclarkey's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM +1 more
tvstaff

1Dx4me wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Pocket Lint wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

i am underwhelmed

so you are saying its worth keeping 1D v.3 until canon comes out with new firmware?

No!  Not as of now/  Wait and see if Canon can improve IQ, Color... etc

I would wait. 100% wait. If no improvement.  Stick with 1DXMKII until another alternative.

henrikbengtsson Senior Member • Posts: 1,284

tvstaff wrote:

Here are my feelings after two days of shooting with the Canon EOS 1DX MKIII. I can

Color rendition utilizing AWB in "Standard" has been way off. Oranges are of particular weakness. "Fine Detail" corrects some of these anomalies

Can't say that I am surprised if this is true. Canons color science in general and skin tones in particular have been going downhill since the 5D4.

I downloaded some of Jareds DNGs from 1DX3. Sure, converted with a BETA converter and since Adobe no longer supports Camera matching profiles for newer Canons, one has to settle with Adobes own profiles. ISO around 5000-ish and indoor sport. But still. That is one of the main targets for this camera. Those darn files are so flat and washed out I had to look twice to believe it. It's almost like a colorchannel is defect.

I seriously hope most of this is an Adobe thing and nothing else.

henrikbengtsson's gear list:henrikbengtsson's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
Per Inge Oestmoen Senior Member • Posts: 1,905

henrikbengtsson wrote:

I seriously hope most of this is an Adobe
thing and nothing else.

More than likely it is.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway

arbitrage Regular Member • Posts: 422

A contrary finding on high ISO noise...

This one shows an obvious improvement in high-ISO, less splotchy green/purple and less luminance noise: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1633465/5#15133954

arbitrage's gear list:arbitrage's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon D500 Sony a9 Nikon D850 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +17 more
Marc dbr
Marc dbr Regular Member • Posts: 349

Why can’t someone open some Raw files in DPP and give us their observations? Seems like everyone wants to compare files in Lightroom and C1 before those programs even have a proper conversion algorithm. I seriously hope it is indeed an adobe thing since Canon kept the resolution of the sensor the same, giving them the opportunity to further improve it on a pixel level

-- hide signature --
 Marc dbr's gear list:Marc dbr's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +5 more
Magnumdarkstar Junior Member • Posts: 29

tvstaff wrote:

t6 wrote:

Actually, the camera does not work with one of my Canon lenses, 24-70 that works on my 1DX and 1DXMKII

has issues with the 600EXRTII, but works on 1DX and MKII

has excessive noise

A lot OOF shots even when you're right on the subject.

Perhaps I just got a bad copy? I've been using 1DX's since they first came out and sometimes you can get a bad copy or one that has firmware issues or a PCB that acts up.

I've been through the first 1DX's and 1DXII's as a first adopter and it took me 5 copies of the first 1DXMKII's to get two working copies. Been through the mirror box issues, faulty PCB's, incompatible cards and overheating.

From the service advisories/recalls and everything else you can throw at a new camera beside it just not working Been there.

For some reason, I thought this would be different. I'm sure Canon will eventually get all the kinks out with the camera and every single lens and accessory... as users help by coming forward.

I'll never forget the day I took a new 1DXMKII to a photoshoot, everything was going great then all of a sudden the camera froze, I had to take the battery in and out to get it going again..... Another few shots same thing.....

I switched to my backup, which was at the time, was a 1DX.

At the end of the shoot, I saw that almost every shot on the MKII was useless. Half frames and in some instances just colored lines or stripes. I'll never forget that day. My heart sank to the floor. The models, makeup, lights, athletes all there. I learned a very expensive lesson.

way to many problems and not worth the the risk. If you have something that works better to just stay with it unless there is a compelling reason to be an early adopter. I am not surprised, usually the first year is the field test period and by the 2nd or 3rd year workflows and hardware/software is perfected.

Hamilton NYC
Hamilton NYC Regular Member • Posts: 203

I've shot two marathons and a pair of evening events since picking up this camera last Friday and have not found any of the aforementioned musings to be true. The camera is lightning fast with sticky AF, excellent high ISO, and wonderful rendering (in RAW).

My only gripe so far has been what I believe to be a buffer "issue" when shooting through the OVF, which seemingly puts the camera to sleep after taking a series of shots (as few as 5 in my usage) and de-pressing the shutter (if you keep it half-pressed, it'll stay "awake").  Everything shuts down — I can't even open the menu — until the write (red) light stops flickering.

That, if anything, has been super frustrating to work around, as maintaining/tapping the AF-ON/Shutter to keep the camera "awake" simply isn't practical.

tvstaff

henrikbengtsson wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Here are my feelings after two days of shooting with the Canon EOS 1DX MKIII. I can

Color rendition utilizing AWB in "Standard" has been way off. Oranges are of particular weakness. "Fine Detail" corrects some of these anomalies

Can't say that I am surprised if this is true. Canons color science in general and skin tones in particular have been going downhill since the 5D4.

I downloaded some of Jareds DNGs from 1DX3. Sure, converted with a BETA converter and since Adobe no longer supports Camera matching profiles for newer Canons, one has to settle with Adobes own profiles. ISO around 5000-ish and indoor sport. But still. That is one of the main targets for this camera. Those darn files are so flat and washed out I had to look twice to believe it. It's almost like a colorchannel is defect.

I seriously hope most of this is an Adobe thing and nothing else.

I agree.  Based on the lighting there is a consistent lack of definition, contrast, color channel separation and actually a lack of clarity and definition of objects.

I'm disappointed as I expected more.  I expected a clear and in some cases noted and substantial differences from the MKII.

Varied standards for different levels of work and personal tastes.

Bummer for me, I waited and waited.... and there is no improvement for me over the MKII that justifies the spend as a still photographer.

jffielde Regular Member • Posts: 406

I’d be happy to send you a couple of my images, if it would be helpful to you I gauging whether your 1DxIii is defective, or whether you’re just not satisfied with the latest iteration.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads