Nikon D780 card error???

Started Feb 19, 2020 | Discussions
JS photo
JS photo New Member • Posts: 23
Nikon D780 card error???

Hi Everyone,

I shoot around 40 weddings a year using the d850 & d750 paired with different sigma art series lenses.

I recently purchased the Nikon d780 and shot my first wedding with it on the weekend. I bought brand new Lexar 2000x cards, a 128g for my Raw card slot and a 64g for my JPEG slot.

i had TWO card errors at the wedding within an hour on my new camera. I live in Canada and we were shooting heavily outside for that hour but this feels crazy to me. I’ve had one card error before on the d750 but two on the same day??? I feel like there is probably an issue with the camera...which makes me incredibly sad because I’ve been waiting for an upgrade to the d750 for a while. I love the d850 but personally feel it is too much camera for wedding photography. The d780 was so perfect but this has put a bad taste in mouth..

i was out side and not near my camera bag when the errors happened. I would’ve normally changed cards right away after seeing a card error but I had no choice.

I didn’t lose any raw files but I did lose 6 jpeg files.

After I got back to my bag and switched to a different set of Toshiba cards I didn’t get any more errors..

I formatted the lexar cards before using them etc.

if anyone has any insight, I’d greatly appreciate it. I’m hoping it was maybe the new cards and not the camera?

Cheers,

J

JS photo's gear list:JS photo's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +2 more
Nikon D750 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: Nikon D780 card error???

..Sorry to hear about the problem you encountered..

..but this may be the Lexar memory card problem, and not the D780 camera's problem..

..so as frustrating as this may seem, if it's not the D780 camera's fault, then should not be upset with the camera..

..smash those Lexar memory cards and don't use them again!..

..Best wishes, John..

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Craftsman70 Regular Member • Posts: 476

Modern Lexar card are not the same as older cards after Micron Technologies decided to get out of the memory card business (even though Micron made the chips that went into the cards) - https://www.lexar.com/longsys-acquired-the-lexar-brand-from-micron-and-that-lexar-is-a-company-owned-by-longsys-a-chinese-company/

I suspect that you got a bad or even counterfeit card.

As for formatting the card before use, that's a good idea but won't guarantee much.  I always run my new cards through a specific SD card test which reads and writes to every useable bit of the card and I do that twice.  That way, I know that the entire card is accessible and works (at least while the test was ran). Formatting the card doesn't do this as it will just put a file system on the card but won't check anything else.

Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,714

jshen808 wrote:

..but this may be the Lexar memory card problem, and not the D780 camera's problem..

..so as frustrating as this may seem, if it's not the D780 camera's fault, then should not be upset with the camera..

..Best wishes, John..

Well don't smash them - get your money back 😊

As for the OP yes sorry you had an issue. Ultimately if there's a problem with the camera Nikon will make it right. But as others have said it's much more likely to be an issue with the memory card. Brand New or not - reputable dealer or not, bad or counterfeit cards can make their way into the system.

Nowyou mentioned you didn't lose any RAW files. That tells me you were writing those to a separate card. If there was a problem writing to both cards blame the camera. Only one card blame the card. In any event I would test a different brand memory card from a different source and go from there. Wishing you all the best! 😊

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
jshen808

24Peter wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

..Best wishes, John..

Well don't smash them - get your money back 😊

As for the OP yes sorry you had an issue. Ultimately if there's a problem with the camera Nikon will make it right. But as others have said it's much more likely to be an issue with the memory card. Brand New or not - reputable dealer or not, bad or counterfeit cards can make their way into the system.

Nowyou mentioned you didn't lose any RAW files. That tells me you were writing those to a separate card. If there was a problem writing to both cards blame the camera. Only one card blame the card. In any event I would test a different brand memory card from a different source and go from there. Wishing you all the best! 😊

..Excellent points, cheers!..

Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 8,543

Craftsman70 wrote:

Modern Lexar card are not the same as older cards after Micron Technologies decided to get out of the memory card business (even though Micron made the chips that went into the cards) - https://www.lexar.com/longsys-acquired-the-lexar-brand-from-micron-and-that-lexar-is-a-company-owned-by-longsys-a-chinese-company/

I suspect that you got a bad or even counterfeit card.

As for formatting the card before use, that's a good idea but won't guarantee much. I always run my new cards through a specific SD card test which reads and writes to every useable bit of the card and I do that twice. That way, I know that the entire card is accessible and works (at least while the test was ran). Formatting the card doesn't do this as it will just put a file system on the card but won't check anything else.

*** ^ THIS ^ ***

-- hide signature --

Philip

JS photo
OP JS photo New Member • Posts: 23

Thanks! That makes me feel better about the camera.

i just spend an hour outside trying to reproduce the issue with the same cards and couldn’t...

I would totally send the camera back to Nikon but I have another wedding this Saturday and then I leave on Tuesday for 2 more weddings in Mexico.

im just about to walk into my local camera store to see what they say. I’ll keep everyone updated.

I’m so appreciative of the responses. And yes I do have two other back up cams in case the d780 decides to stop working!

im

Nikon D850 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +2 more
jshen808

JS photo wrote:

Thanks! That makes me feel better about the camera.

i just spend an hour outside trying to reproduce the issue with the same cards and couldn’t...

I would totally send the camera back to Nikon but I have another wedding this Saturday and then I leave on Tuesday for 2 more weddings in Mexico.

im just about to walk into my local camera store to see what they say. I’ll keep everyone updated.

I’m so appreciative of the responses. And yes I do have two other back up cams in case the d780 decides to stop working!

im

..it's not the D780 camera at fault.

..best not to use those (defective) Lexar memory cards again!..

JS photo

Ya, I don't think it's the cameras fault anymore.

I've been trying to reproduce the issue with other cards and I can't

I think it was just a bad batch of cards..

jshen808

JS photo wrote:

Ya, I don't think it's the cameras fault anymore.

I've been trying to reproduce the issue with other cards and I can't

I think it was just a bad batch of cards..

..here is an article about the company Micron selling the Lexar..

https://petapixel.com/2017/09/01/lexar-acquired-chinese-flash-storage-company/

..personally, I would not use the current Lexar memory cards..

..my preference is to use the SanDisk Extreme Pro memory cards (but watch out for fake products)..

..Cheers, John..

JS photo

So I was thinking everything was okay but then I ran into another problem that has me thinking that it could be the camera reader..

i was trying out different cards in my d780 just to see if any of them had issues. Everything seems to work fine except one Toshiba card that I have. It says card error and I can’t format it on the d780

when I use the same card in one of my 3 other Nikon cameras it does in fact work with them with no issues.

I’m pretty confused on how this could happen...

again, all 7 of my sd cards work in all cameras except one card won’t work with my d780 but works with everything else ??

Greg Fonne New Member • Posts: 2

Yeah I think it's the camera. I've had the issue of Card Error (with RAW files loss) happen a few times now and it's utterly frustrating (usually when capturing multiple photos in a short space of time). The first time was with a high speed (300 MB/s) Sony card which I assumed to be faulty and got replaced. This happened again with the replacement card. Luckily the issue has only happened rarely and luckily for me without consequences (static shoot which could easily be retaken). Last night though the issue happened after I recorded an ISS fly by in the sky... This was a 4K video on a fast Lexar card. Was really chuffed with what I'd captured, only for the CARD ERROR message to pop up and corrupt the entire footage... Gutted! Though once again, lucky it wasn't for work. I've just updated to the latest firmware hoping it never happens again but the trust in the camera has been somewhat eroded.

DJMusic Senior Member • Posts: 1,228

Just went over 20,000 images on my D780, never had a card error. That said, if you have not already done so, upgrade the firmware . The first patch (1.01) was related to card errors with certain cards (see below). I'm shooting with high speed V60 rated Sony Tough CF cards, though I have used SanDisk at times as well.

Best wishes as you explore the new camera. It is quite extraordinary.

Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.01 to 1.02

• • Fixed the following issues:
    • - Flash photos taken using TTL flash control and a non-CPU lens would not be correctly exposed.
    • - Pressing the playback zoom in button to display a preview would cancel changes to Set Picture Control > Hue made using NEF (RAW) processing in the RETOUCH MENU.

Changes from Previous VersionsChanges from “C” Firmware Version 1.00 to 1.01

• • Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented use of certain SD memory cards.
 DJMusic's gear list:DJMusic's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +6 more
patricksmith32
patricksmith32 Contributing Member • Posts: 943

Hmm never had a card error with Sony cards. I use the Sony Tough series cards. 128GB Sony Tough CFexpress cards as my main cards in my D5/D6 and Sony G series XQD 64GB as backups. In my D500 I use a Sony 128GB Tough card and 64GB Sony Tough SD card. They are more expensive but well worth it to me. They really are built much stronger and can survive drops, trip through the washing machine and everything else you can think of. I’ve yet to use the D780, I need a vertical grip so I passed on what seems like a great camera, but it could be a camera issue. However it’s more likely a card issue, I stopped using Lexar cards years ago, when they were bought out. They had worse customer service and issues so I have no faith in them. I’ve been using Sony cards since 2013 or so and have yet to have any issues. Millions of frames and zero issues! Might try them!

patricksmith32's gear list:patricksmith32's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon D500 Nikon D5 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads