Airbus A400M on trials

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Bev81 from France
Bev81 from France Contributing Member • Posts: 616
Airbus A400M on trials

On trials, from the French Armée de l'Air (Air Force), I guess

I was working on my new house when we (my son and I) hear and saw low altitude maneuvers from this "bird". It was flying away at first when suddently it made a 180 and came back to us. By half a chance I had my X-T1 (armed with the 16-50 for the forecast pictures I was about to make a the house). I shot a few pictures of the plane, far away unfortunately, and the hit rate has been pretty low (I only managed the 90° ones here, behind electric wires !!! ) :

The plane disappeared and I was done. A few minutes later my son screamed "it comes back". I had a short so switched to the 50-230 and spray. Another low hit rate (the XT1 is not up to the task, but I'm not either !), but I managed a few in focus

For thoses wondering, I live in the Tarn department (81), a mostly rural county, roughly 70km away from Toulouse (main assembly Airbus factory) and many of their new planes are being tested in my sky (saw, but missed photos opportunities of the A380 for example) with many low altitude / low speed flights

Bev81 from France's gear list:Bev81 from France's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm 50-230mm II 7artisans 25mm F1.8
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A380
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Guyps Regular Member • Posts: 353
Re: Airbus A400M on trials

Good shots thanks for sharing

I live under the flight path of a small passenger airport in the UK and different A400Ms often fly over my house, I am assuming, to carry out landing practice as it will circle and keep repeating.

These were taken from my Garden

I struggled to keep the plane sharp with a slower shutter speed to show the props moving

Guyps's gear list:Guyps's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Bev81 from France
OP Bev81 from France Contributing Member • Posts: 616

Guyps wrote:

Good shots thanks for sharing

I live under the flight path of a small passenger airport in the UK and different A400Ms often fly over my house, I am assuming, to carry out landing practice as it will circle and keep repeating.

I struggled to keep the plane sharp with a slower shutter speed to show the props moving

And I thought mine was flying very near my house ! I would guess around 500m or a bit less

As for the moving props, honestly I just did not have time to think to the pictures, I mean I had roughly 1 minute to change the lens, set C-AF + sequential shooting and track the plane. So I miss the ISO setting (although the Cam did choose 200 despite quiet slot speed, which was a risk indeed), the zone AF (I was in single point). I was in fact setup for photographying the house and I'm not "Fuji fluent" so it takes too much time for me to figure out the best settings in a hurry

I hope theses Airbus will continue to visit me from time to time and get some more opportunities

Bev81 from France's gear list:Bev81 from France's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm 50-230mm II 7artisans 25mm F1.8
Guyps Regular Member • Posts: 353

A400M came over the house again today. Covid lockdown so haven't had much playing about with the camera lately. Grabbed the XF 55-200.

So I've now got photos of ZM412, ZM413, ZM416 and today it was the turn of ZM402.

And this is a good one to zoom in on at 100%

Guyps's gear list:Guyps's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads