The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

Started Feb 16, 2020 | Discussions
GatanoII Regular Member • Posts: 460
The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)
7

The EOS R5 is the mirrorless version of 5D mkV (it's coming I guess), Canon did gave us a reasonable hint with its name, it's the most detailed part of the development announcement

So the price point will be almost the same, so don't be fooled by the astonishing 8k , the 12fps and 20fps with a 45mp sensor with IBIS, Canon has a new fab that allows them to make new sensors and the new Digic processor that are much more advanced than the ones we had on our previous generations cameras, Canon want to sell mirrorless cameras and make money in a shrinking market, the only way to continue to be the number one (DSLR and mirorless combined) is to be the number one even with FF mirrorless and this camera is going to play this tough game, the 1DXIII is the best DSLR ever made (if you don't care about extremely high resolution) why the R5 shouldn't aim to be the best mirrorless ever made? (until the R5s and the real flagship R1 comes out)

We already know from the rumor mill that proved to be right about the R5, the 24-105 , the 100-500 and the extendes (and the 850D) that also an R6 is coming soon with a "lame" 20MP, but also very fast at 12fps and 20fps and the price will be very interesting, just as it's the 6DII (and the future 6DIII).

Canon is going to use it's best arsenal to conquer the FF mirrorles camera market (while still making money also with DSLR ), they already are doing very well with the EOS M, despite being criticized , they know what the APSC user base want and they sell more than other crop mirrorless cameras ,so they also know what a FF user want, but they didn't had the technology ready (trusty but "recycled" sensors and CPU in the R and RP), now they have new sensors and number crunching horse power with the R5 (and R6) and are going to give us this "dream" camera (competition will try to do the same), but not at 5000$+ as most naysayers are telling us, it will be the mirrorless 5D so it will be at the same price point, unless Canon did everything right for the HW in the camera and will do all wrong in the marketing department (I don't think so).

BTW it's clear the naming scheme of the new mirrorless camera is using the R instead of the D.

 GatanoII's gear list:GatanoII's gear list
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Kenko Teleplus MC4 AF 1.4 DGX Kenko Teleplus MC4 AF 2.0 DGX +2 more
Noogy
Noogy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,394
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)
2

GatanoII wrote:

The EOS R5 is the mirrorless version of 5D mkV (it's coming I guess), Canon did gave us a reasonable hint with its name, it's the most detailed part of the development announcement

So the price point will be almost the same, so don't be fooled by the astonishing 8k , the 12fps and 20fps with a 45mp sensor with IBIS, Canon has a new fab that allows them to make new sensors and the new Digic processor that are much more advanced than the ones we had on our previous generations cameras, Canon want to sell mirrorless cameras and make money in a shrinking market, the only way to continue to be the number one (DSLR and mirorless combined) is to be the number one even with FF mirrorless and this camera is going to play this tough game, the 1DXIII is the best DSLR ever made (if you don't care about extremely high resolution) why the R5 shouldn't aim to be the best mirrorless ever made? (until the R5s and the real flagship R1 comes out)

We already know from the rumor mill that proved to be right about the R5, the 24-105 , the 100-500 and the extendes (and the 850D) that also an R6 is coming soon with a "lame" 20MP, but also very fast at 12fps and 20fps and the price will be very interesting, just as it's the 6DII (and the future 6DIII).

Canon is going to use it's best arsenal to conquer the FF mirrorles camera market (while still making money also with DSLR ), they already are doing very well with the EOS M, despite being criticized , they know what the APSC user base want and they sell more than other crop mirrorless cameras ,so they also know what a FF user want, but they didn't had the technology ready (trusty but "recycled" sensors and CPU in the R and RP), now they have new sensors and number crunching horse power with the R5 (and R6) and are going to give us this "dream" camera (competition will try to do the same), but not at 5000$+ as most naysayers are telling us, it will be the mirrorless 5D so it will be at the same price point, unless Canon did everything right for the HW in the camera and will do all wrong in the marketing department (I don't think so).

BTW it's clear the naming scheme of the new mirrorless camera is using the R instead of the D.

If you're correct, it's therefore very possible for Canon to still release its DSLR sibling. There is still a huge market for the 5D series.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

 Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +11 more
OP GatanoII Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)
2

Noogy wrote:

If you're correct, it's therefore very possible for Canon to still release its DSLR sibling. There is still a huge market for the 5D series.

Canon is not giving up with DSLR for sure and a 5D V with the R5 sensor and features should be very interesting, it's just the FF mirrorles s arena that is getting more interesting (new glass) and Canon clearly wants to play the king.

 GatanoII's gear list:GatanoII's gear list
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Kenko Teleplus MC4 AF 1.4 DGX Kenko Teleplus MC4 AF 2.0 DGX +2 more
cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,432
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

One thread after another with speculation and I'm caught up in reading them all.  

I will be at WPPI in Las Vegas next week and hover over the Canon area and get the same information and speculation as I do on these forums. I guess we all have to wait and see. I hope they at least have an R5 which will be in a glass display for looking only and no touching like they did with some of the RF lenses last year.

It's like waiting for Santa Claus.

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 18,048
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

cpharm86 wrote:

[…] for looking only and no touching […]

Are you sure you are talking about cameras? 

cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,432
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

J A C S wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

[…] for looking only and no touching […]

Are you sure you are talking about cameras?

Yea, last year they wouldn't let anyone touch the prototype RF lenses and couldn't tell you much about them so I suspect the R5 will be under lock and key. Not talking about cameras though, we don't know what it is yet.  

RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,324
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)
1

Noogy wrote:

GatanoII wrote:

The EOS R5 is the mirrorless version of 5D mkV (it's coming I guess), Canon did gave us a reasonable hint with its name, it's the most detailed part of the development announcement

So the price point will be almost the same, so don't be fooled by the astonishing 8k , the 12fps and 20fps with a 45mp sensor with IBIS, Canon has a new fab that allows them to make new sensors and the new Digic processor that are much more advanced than the ones we had on our previous generations cameras, Canon want to sell mirrorless cameras and make money in a shrinking market, the only way to continue to be the number one (DSLR and mirorless combined) is to be the number one even with FF mirrorless and this camera is going to play this tough game, the 1DXIII is the best DSLR ever made (if you don't care about extremely high resolution) why the R5 shouldn't aim to be the best mirrorless ever made? (until the R5s and the real flagship R1 comes out)

We already know from the rumor mill that proved to be right about the R5, the 24-105 , the 100-500 and the extendes (and the 850D) that also an R6 is coming soon with a "lame" 20MP, but also very fast at 12fps and 20fps and the price will be very interesting, just as it's the 6DII (and the future 6DIII).

Canon is going to use it's best arsenal to conquer the FF mirrorles camera market (while still making money also with DSLR ), they already are doing very well with the EOS M, despite being criticized , they know what the APSC user base want and they sell more than other crop mirrorless cameras ,so they also know what a FF user want, but they didn't had the technology ready (trusty but "recycled" sensors and CPU in the R and RP), now they have new sensors and number crunching horse power with the R5 (and R6) and are going to give us this "dream" camera (competition will try to do the same), but not at 5000$+ as most naysayers are telling us, it will be the mirrorless 5D so it will be at the same price point, unless Canon did everything right for the HW in the camera and will do all wrong in the marketing department (I don't think so).

BTW it's clear the naming scheme of the new mirrorless camera is using the R instead of the D.

If you're correct, it's therefore very possible for Canon to still release its DSLR sibling. There is still a huge market for the 5D series.

Do you know about the new Canon fab?  Is it TSMC in Taiwan.  TSMC has a stacked CMOS fab process for making sensors very similar to that of Sony.  Using this stack CMOS fab which has been working well since 2016 would give them enough time to quickly come to market with parity in sensor manufacturing as Sony.   Sony was the pioneer that proved the value of stack CMOS assembly in achieving very high sensor scan rates with wide dynamic range,    Do you have a link for Canon's use of a new fab?

 RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +38 more
OP GatanoII Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

RDM5546 wrote:

Do you know about the new Canon fab? Is it TSMC in Taiwan. TSMC has a stacked CMOS fab process for making sensors very similar to that of Sony. Using this stack CMOS fab which has been working well since 2016 would give them enough time to quickly come to market with parity in sensor manufacturing as Sony. Sony was the pioneer that proved the value of stack CMOS assembly in achieving very high sensor scan rates with wide dynamic range, Do you have a link for Canon's use of a new fab?

I know they have a new fab , but I can't remember where I did read it, but in the announcement it's clear they have something that's new and advanced, Canon words:

"Canon’s EOS R5, the first of the next generation of full-frame mirrorless cameras planned for EOS R System, will include a newly developed CMOS sensor. The new sensor will enable enhanced features ..."

 GatanoII's gear list:GatanoII's gear list
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Kenko Teleplus MC4 AF 1.4 DGX Kenko Teleplus MC4 AF 2.0 DGX +2 more
cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,432
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

J A C S wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

[…] for looking only and no touching […]

Are you sure you are talking about cameras?

Did I miss something?

MyReality
MyReality Senior Member • Posts: 1,688
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

Maybe the grinch(Nikon} along with the two elves(Olympus and Fuji) will be there too.

 MyReality's gear list:MyReality's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +4 more
cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,432
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

MyReality wrote:

Maybe the grinch(Nikon} along with the two elves(Olympus and Fuji) will be there too.

I don't pay attention to these booths.  I might stop by the Sony booth for the fun of it.

Viriato Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

Price is totally relevant, but what I expect is...

(Opinion from someone that moved from a 6D MK II to a EOS R).... a dynamic range equivalent to a Nikon Z7 or a Sony ARIII... and not one simular to another 2014, 2015 camera with a 2020 Price Tag.,

Indoor with 3200ISO really limits you when compared to above mentioned alternatives. Astrophotography is not that good too. ISO100 for landscape, also miles away... No base ISO 50.
I really expect a 2020 camera, when comparing to competition is already offering, ar equivalent price, or even a bit above.

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 18,048
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)
2

Viriato wrote:

ISO100 for landscape, also miles away...

Miles away? Can you post a landscape shot ruined by the R which would be salvaged by the A7III?

No base ISO 50.

What is base ISO 50?

4thnebula Senior Member • Posts: 2,416
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

Yeah, the rumored 20 MP for the R6 is strange.  I expect it to be the 26 MP of the 6D II.

 4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Sony a7 III Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,324
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

GatanoII wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

Do you know about the new Canon fab? Is it TSMC in Taiwan. TSMC has a stacked CMOS fab process for making sensors very similar to that of Sony. Using this stack CMOS fab which has been working well since 2016 would give them enough time to quickly come to market with parity in sensor manufacturing as Sony. Sony was the pioneer that proved the value of stack CMOS assembly in achieving very high sensor scan rates with wide dynamic range, Do you have a link for Canon's use of a new fab?

I know they have a new fab , but I can't remember where I did read it, but in the announcement it's clear they have something that's new and advanced, Canon words:

"Canon’s EOS R5, the first of the next generation of full-frame mirrorless cameras planned for EOS R System, will include a newly developed CMOS sensor. The new sensor will enable enhanced features ..."

I always assumed they would develop their own stacked CMOS fab but it is far from easy to so.  A lot of the know how is  available in Japan but it would take time and of course lots of money to do this.   However, stacked CMOS fabs are useful for many new kinds of devices other than high end mirror-less cameras so if they built their own fab there would be plenty of use for it.

 RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +38 more
David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,719
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

RDM5546 wrote:

GatanoII wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

Do you know about the new Canon fab? Is it TSMC in Taiwan. TSMC has a stacked CMOS fab process for making sensors very similar to that of Sony. Using this stack CMOS fab which has been working well since 2016 would give them enough time to quickly come to market with parity in sensor manufacturing as Sony. Sony was the pioneer that proved the value of stack CMOS assembly in achieving very high sensor scan rates with wide dynamic range, Do you have a link for Canon's use of a new fab?

I know they have a new fab , but I can't remember where I did read it, but in the announcement it's clear they have something that's new and advanced, Canon words:

"Canon’s EOS R5, the first of the next generation of full-frame mirrorless cameras planned for EOS R System, will include a newly developed CMOS sensor. The new sensor will enable enhanced features ..."

I always assumed they would develop their own stacked CMOS fab but it is far from easy to so. A lot of the know how is available in Japan but it would take time and of course lots of money to do this. However, stacked CMOS fabs are useful for many new kinds of devices other than high end mirror-less cameras so if they built their own fab there would be plenty of use for it.

No need to develop their own fab, there are fabs for hire.

 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM +1 more
rrc1967 Senior Member • Posts: 1,900
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

GatanoII wrote:

The EOS R5 is the mirrorless version of 5D mkV (it's coming I guess), Canon did gave us a reasonable hint with its name, it's the most detailed part of the development announcement

So the price point will be almost the same, so don't be fooled by the astonishing 8k , the 12fps and 20fps with a 45mp sensor with IBIS, Canon has a new fab that allows them to make new sensors and the new Digic processor that are much more advanced than the ones we had on our previous generations cameras

Just to niggle.

1. Canon wouldn't have needed a new fab. they have two already. they simply would have updated a line - if it was necessary. They updated their fab already for the 1DX Mark II, it would be unusual for them to turn around and update it once again. it could also be that they extended the APS-C lines to support full frame and thus allowed for quad metal 180nm full frame sensors.

2. Canon doesn't make DIGIC. They design it and farm it out. They most certainly don't have the fab to do that and never will (IMO). That's a very costly fabrication plant.

MyReality
MyReality Senior Member • Posts: 1,688
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

Go look at The Luminous Landscape for a hands-on review by a working pro who has used the Canon R and the 5D mkiV.  It is a very honest review.  You might actually learn something.

 MyReality's gear list:MyReality's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +4 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,261
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)
1

rrc1967 wrote:

2. Canon doesn't make DIGIC.

Who cares? Digic is just the name of the cpu in Canon cameras

They design it and farm it out. They most certainly don't have the fab to do that and never will (IMO). That's a very costly fabrication plant.

rrc1967 Senior Member • Posts: 1,900
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

RedFox88 wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

2. Canon doesn't make DIGIC.

Who cares? Digic is just the name of the cpu in Canon cameras

that wasn't the point.. did you read?  and it's not just a CPU, it's an SoC.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads