Test shots with 1DX3

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Snapper2013 Contributing Member • Posts: 660
Wow the Canon colors are amazing!

nt

OP gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 2,240
Re: Test shots with 1DX3

aftab wrote:

Thanks for the images, looks really nice.

Do you have access to 1DX II to do some comparison shots, especially to see the claimed resolution improvement due to the new AA filter?

Thanks

Thanks!

I do have a 1DX2.  I may get a chance to try out some comparisons but it looks like the fun is over for a few days due to work commitments.  Hopefully I will get to it before too long.

aftab
aftab Forum Pro • Posts: 10,383

gimp_dad wrote:

aftab wrote:

Thanks for the images, looks really nice.

Do you have access to 1DX II to do some comparison shots, especially to see the claimed resolution improvement due to the new AA filter?

Thanks

Thanks!

I do have a 1DX2. I may get a chance to try out some comparisons but it looks like the fun is over for a few days due to work commitments. Hopefully I will get to it before too long.

Work comes first.  We can wait. 

Thanks a lot.

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 +25 more
Radek Tezaur Regular Member • Posts: 406

gimp_dad wrote:

Took a couple of shots at lunch with the new 1DX3. I happened to have my EF400/4DOII + 2x III with me. That lens combination is a tough one as it pushes the limits of aperture and IQ but here a couple of attempts.

AF speed in classical setup seems faster than the 1DX2 which is a nice to see. Haven't tried any of the automatic tracking modes yet. Just did expanded point and small group.

The 16fps has a very satisfying sound to it.

This first one was a big surprise. I don't know if I have ever seen a bald eagle here in Silicon Valley. I had heard they were starting to show up here and there but hadn't seen any nearby. Saw it from a long distance at the very top of a dead tree and literally ran the quarter mile to get close.

Just curious, where did you take the picture of the eagle? I see hawks, falcons, and vultures out in Coyote Hills, but an eagle would definitely provide some excitement.:)

OP gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 2,240

Radek Tezaur wrote:

gimp_dad wrote:

Took a couple of shots at lunch with the new 1DX3. I happened to have my EF400/4DOII + 2x III with me. That lens combination is a tough one as it pushes the limits of aperture and IQ but here a couple of attempts.

AF speed in classical setup seems faster than the 1DX2 which is a nice to see. Haven't tried any of the automatic tracking modes yet. Just did expanded point and small group.

The 16fps has a very satisfying sound to it.

This first one was a big surprise. I don't know if I have ever seen a bald eagle here in Silicon Valley. I had heard they were starting to show up here and there but hadn't seen any nearby. Saw it from a long distance at the very top of a dead tree and literally ran the quarter mile to get close.

Just curious, where did you take the picture of the eagle? I see hawks, falcons, and vultures out in Coyote Hills, but an eagle would definitely provide some excitement.:)

Mountain View, near the bay.  First time I've ever seen one there and haven't talked with anyone else who ever saw one there either.  Would be very cool if they are taking up a nest nearby.

I've definitely seen a good amount of bald eagles further north in CA (like Shasta area) and lots of places in the northeast.  I know to people in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska, they are practically like crows, but not here.

ajs jones New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Obligatory Cat shot. ISO 65532.

Canon must have a "deconvolution"/"sharpening kernel" (or whatever it's called:)) that is optimized for the 16-point AA filter. Their white paper explicitly requires the Digic X:

"In concert with the powerful DIGIC X processor, the result is enhanced subject detail and sharpness,"

However, we dont know the dimensions of the 16-point "cross" relative to the pixel dimension, but Jack has done some calculations of how it works

https://www.strollswithmydog.com/canon-high-res-gd-lpf-aa/

ajs jones's gear list:ajs jones's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads