Disappointed with increased weight of XT4

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
Meetmer
Meetmer Contributing Member • Posts: 763
Disappointed with increased weight of XT4

The rumor is that the XT4 will gain 6 oz, or 170 grams compared to the XT3.  That puts the anticipated weight of the XT4 at 660 gym no battery, or 709 grams with battery. For comparison , a Nikon Z6 is 585 grams body only. The  Sony A74 with battery is 665 grams and that camera blows the Fuji out of the water. Does anyone see the travesty here? The XT4 is going to outweigh the full frame cameras.  Thoughts and comments ?

Doug

Meetmer's gear list:Meetmer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +3 more
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nostatic
nostatic Regular Member • Posts: 399
Re: Disappointed with increased weight of XT4

Meetmer wrote:

The rumor is that the XT4 will gain 6 oz, or 170 grams compared to the XT3. That puts the anticipated weight of the XT4 at 660 gym no battery, or 709 grams with battery. For comparison , a Nikon Z6 is 585 grams body only. The Sony A74 with battery is 665 grams and that camera blows the Fuji out of the water. Does anyone see the travesty here? The XT4 is going to outweigh the full frame cameras. Thoughts and comments ?

Doug

If that's your take, then you should probably buy an A7iv instead of an X-T4. But there's more to a system than body weight...

nostatic's gear list:nostatic's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,660

Meetmer wrote:

The rumor is that the XT4 will gain 6 oz, or 170 grams compared to the XT3. That puts the anticipated weight of the XT4 at 660 gym no battery, or 709 grams with battery. For comparison , a Nikon Z6 is 585 grams body only. The Sony A74 with battery is 665 grams and that camera blows the Fuji out of the water. Does anyone see the travesty here? The XT4 is going to outweigh the full frame cameras. Thoughts and comments ?

Doug

Yes fuji needs a smaller cam with more features or at least WR for the small wr lenses. I’ve been harping on this for awhile...

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8
Meetmer
OP Meetmer Contributing Member • Posts: 763

I already own the XT2 with 7 lenses. I was hoping for a better camera within the Fuji system that was not going to make me regret buying into the system to begin with. The whole point of why I went Fuji was the lenses were reasonable size and cost and the camera body was much much smaller than DSLR. Now we’d are talking about an XT4, APS-C that is going to be heavier than Nikon or Sony fullframes ? Please.

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +3 more
Bogibbes Regular Member • Posts: 170

Meetmer wrote:

Doug

You start with a rumor then end by calling it a travesty. Wait until the camera is announced before casting judgement. If it's heavy but has crazy AF and all other whiz-bang-pop features, then what?

-- hide signature --

IG: bogibbes

Bogibbes's gear list:Bogibbes's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 200mm F2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8
nostatic
nostatic Regular Member • Posts: 399

Ok, but do the equivalent lenses weigh more or less with the Nikon or Sony systems? Or cost more or less? Fwiw I moved to Fuji from Sony mostly for the user interface - I prefer the dedicated dials and the X-T3 is a great hybrid camera. I actually find the body too small, and need to use the passive grip to have comfort shooting with it. I almost didn't buy one because of the small body but the grip made a huge difference. Any loss going to APS-C from full frame was offset by increased enjoyment of actual use. Bonus that there are great lens choices with Fuji.

It's a system, and at some point a human interacts with the system. That relationship is part of the equation, at least for me. Ymmv.

nostatic's gear list:nostatic's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 4,372

Meetmer wrote:

I already own the XT2 with 7 lenses. I was hoping for a better camera within the Fuji system that was not going to make me regret buying into the system to begin with. The whole point of why I went Fuji was the lenses were reasonable size and cost and the camera body was much much smaller than DSLR. Now we’d are talking about an XT4, APS-C that is going to be heavier than Nikon or Sony fullframes ? Please.

The T4 is not the last Fuji camera and the T3 is also a fairly new camera.  The T4 is not for everyone so there is nothing to be disappointed about, regarding size and weight that is.

Fuji has plenty tiny cameras for you to choose from.  Big cameras are for big boys 👍😀

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
AshleyMC Regular Member • Posts: 444

Meetmer wrote:

I hear you.

I have given up of the so-called "smaller size and lighter weight" advantage of certain mirrorless systems, notably Fujifilm, Panasonic and Olympus.

As a multibrand camera user, I use Fujifilm gear to complement the other tools. I have never "bought into" (or "switched to") Fujifilm, so I guess my level of disappointment is quite low.

HatWearingFool
HatWearingFool Senior Member • Posts: 2,269

Bogibbes wrote:

Meetmer wrote:

Doug

You start with a rumor then end by calling it a travesty. Wait until the camera is announced before casting judgement. If it's heavy but has crazy AF and all other whiz-bang-pop features, then what?

Then it’ll still be heavy and big? Fuji is definitely taking a big risk if they place the x-t4 between the x-t3 and x-h1; they risk alienating fans of both.

-- hide signature --
 HatWearingFool's gear list:HatWearingFool's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
jm10 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,028

Agree with your sentiments Doug. This is what happens when most of the features users have been clamoring for have been implemented.

I may just stop at the X-T2 level; so far it does everything I want it to do...miss the X-E1 form factor:-)

jacob

jm10's gear list:jm10's gear list
Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Austin CB Forum Member • Posts: 96

I don't disagree with you where larger bodies/zooms come into play. Where Fuji makes more sense of course is with the small WR primes.

Dr_J Forum Member • Posts: 62

I hear you - I'm in the same boat. We'll see what the final specs will be but if X-T4 is too big and too heavy I may consider upgrading from my X-T2 to either X-T3, X-T30 (T40?) or even X-E4(?) in the future (despite the smaller EVF in the last two). Fortunately, we still have some choice.

Dr_J's gear list:Dr_J's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Meetmer

Bogibbes wrote:

Meetmer wrote:

Doug

Then it’s a conundrum. I really wanted IBIS and faster autofocus and tracking. Otherwise, I still like my XT2 and the XT2 will definitely have the size advantage. I am not sure I would upgrade to a larger camera in the Fuji system. At that point I might have to go full frame. Lots of compelling options.

Meetmer

Exactly. They should have held the line and kept the XT4 the same size as the XT3 but made it better. Then it would be something to marvel at. Once the camera size increase, it’s no longer a marvel. Who is really impressed with the OLY OMD latest camera? I’m not because it’s not that small and  at the end of the day it’s still a MFT for two grand. That’s what the XT4 is going to be, a great camera for $1600 but not smaller than a full frame that could be had for just a bit more money.

Meetmer

Well, at least I’m not getting a bunch of people thrashing me for my opinion. Most people it seems seem to feel the same way.  Don’t get me wrong, Fuji makes some other very cool rangefinder style cameras but it seems like if their flagship camera loses its performance/size edge then what’s the point.

forest dream Contributing Member • Posts: 535

If XT4 too heavy, then you can choose XT40 later. XT40 sure will light and small than XT4.

HatWearingFool
HatWearingFool Senior Member • Posts: 2,269

forest dream wrote:

If XT4 too heavy, then you can choose XT40 later. XT40 sure will light and small than XT4.

Sure as long as you are willing to give up wr, better controls, and the bigger view finder it’s the perfect option.

-- hide signature --
 HatWearingFool's gear list:HatWearingFool's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
eric333 Senior Member • Posts: 1,253

Meetmer wrote:

Doug

Which cameras are you comparing?

There is no A7 IV yet.  The A7R IV exists but that’s a $3500 camera.

Otherwise you’re comparing 2 non-existent cameras.

lynnG Regular Member • Posts: 319

This is why I like my Fuji XT1 and Olympus EM1, the right balance between weight and performance/built quality. The subsequent versions became progressively larger and heavier. In second hand market, they are ridiculously cheap.

frez Regular Member • Posts: 319

HatWearingFool wrote:

forest dream wrote:

Sure as long as you are willing to give up wr, better controls, and the bigger view finder it’s the perfect option.

I was for xt3 vs xt30, the xt3 was just too big and would suffer from the same problem as my dslr, being left at home. WR would be nice, everything else about the xt3 is fluff. Not interested in the xt4 beyond seeing what might make it to xt40.

frez's gear list:frez's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads