X100V or Xpro3 for Strret Photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Andrewcn Junior Member • Posts: 26
X100V or Xpro3 for Strret Photography

Which of these two camera is the most suitable for street photography assuming you only user the 23mm or 35mm focal length lenses? With the x100v one would need to buy the tel conversions lens of course.

Now that the x100v has weather sealing and they both have a flip screen, I think they would both do an equiavalent job.

Thoughts?

The City Lane
The City Lane Regular Member • Posts: 178
Re: X100V or Xpro3 for Strret Photography

X100V. Smaller, more unassuming, better lens at that focal length.

The City Lane's gear list:The City Lane's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +2 more
WhoisDoubleA Regular Member • Posts: 267

Andrewcn wrote:

Which of these two camera is the most suitable for street photography assuming you only user the 23mm or 35mm focal length lenses? With the x100v one would need to buy the tel conversions lens of course.

Now that the x100v has weather sealing and they both have a flip screen, I think they would both do an equiavalent job.

Thoughts?

the teleconverters are pretty bulky and front-heavy. If it were me and I needed exclusively 35mm, I would go with an x-pro.

WhoisDoubleA's gear list:WhoisDoubleA's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20
ARB1
ARB1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,497

I just watched this review and I like his take on the V being great for street photography. It also shows how sexy the silver version is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d5jul1iydw

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 10,312

ARB1 wrote:

I just watched this review and I like his take on the V being great for street photography. It also shows how sexy the silver version is.

You do know that one of the fathers and masters of street photography would put back electrical tape on the chrome parts of his camera, don't you.  Maybe sexy is not the best choice for street photography.  

-- hide signature --

"If you learn only methods, you’ll be tied to your methods, but if you learn principles you can devise your own methods." Ralph Waldo Emerson
___
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +8 more
Truman Prevatt

Andrewcn wrote:

Which of these two camera is the most suitable for street photography assuming you only user the 23mm or 35mm focal length lenses? With the x100v one would need to buy the tel conversions lens of course.

Why would one buy a fixed lens camera when one wants to use multiple focal length lenses?

-- hide signature --

"If you learn only methods, you’ll be tied to your methods, but if you learn principles you can devise your own methods." Ralph Waldo Emerson
___
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +8 more
ARB1

Truman Prevatt wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

You do know that one of the fathers and masters of street photography would put back electrical tape on the chrome parts of his camera, don't you. Maybe sexy is not the best choice for street photography.

Yeah, but it's still sexy.

-- hide signature --

Allen

Fujifilm X100V Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
Truman Prevatt

ARB1 wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

You do know that one of the fathers and masters of street photography would put back electrical tape on the chrome parts of his camera, don't you. Maybe sexy is not the best choice for street photography.

Then you will feel better about yourself with with the silver version so go for it.

Enjoy

-- hide signature --

___
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

ARB1

Truman Prevatt wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

Then you will feel better about yourself with with the silver version so go for it.

Enjoy

Don't get your panties in a wad Turman, I'm only joshing you.  I actually think both black and silver are sexy as hell.  I just like the look of the silver in the video since you can see it up close in his hands.

-- hide signature --

Allen

SpeedyNeo
SpeedyNeo Contributing Member • Posts: 548

Depends on what type of versatility you're after:

If it's the versatility of using multiple focal lengths, then definitely the X-Pro3.

If it's the versatility of portability, then the X100V is smaller, particularly back to front.

With the second choice, you also get a leaf shutter, 2-way tilt screen, built-in flash and a better ISO dial.

Your decision.

For me, I've already placed an order on the X100V. But I have an X-T3, so perhaps my situation is different.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T3 | Fujifilm X-E3 | XF16mmF1.4 | XF35mmF1.4 | XF90mmF2 | XF18-55mmF2.8-4 | Fujifilm FinePix XP140

SpeedyNeo's gear list:SpeedyNeo's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
OP Andrewcn Junior Member • Posts: 26

Well, in my case it’s because I only use the 23 and 35mm f2 lenses (currently on the x-t20). So I wondered whether the x100v plus the TCL-100 was just as good as using the xpro3 with the two f2 lenses.

Truman Prevatt

ARB1 wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

Enjoy

Don't get your panties in a wad Turman, I'm only joshing you. I actually think both black and silver are sexy as hell. I just like the look of the silver in the video since you can see it up close in his hands.

Me my panties in a wad - naw.  I actually bought the DuraTech silver Pro3 because I though it was oh so sexy and with an object of sex in your hands - who knows what lies ahead! 

At one point in time - maybe before you were around (since I am older than dirt) all good cameras were black and chrome.  The Leica M3 and M4 come to mind.  A lot of the Leica lenses in the 30's through the 60's were also chrome.  A lot of the early Nikons were black and chrome.

Most likely the all black camera was a cheap out as chrome became more expensive.

-- hide signature --

___
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

ARB1

Truman Prevatt wrote:

...... I actually bought the DuraTech silver Pro3 because I though it was oh so sexy and with an object of sex in your hands - who knows what lies ahead!

I almost picked up the xPro3 in the Dura also, they're sexy as well.  I just decided to stick with my Sony a7RII for interchangeable lenses and ordered the V as my travel/grab and go camera.

If I had it to do all over again I would have bought into the FujiFilm line since the colors are fantastic and the lenses are top-notch. I was just hooked on the FF sensor since I had been shooting Nikon for over 40 years, but I had my eye on the xPro system and X100 system ever since they hit.

-- hide signature --

Allen

Robert A Senior Member • Posts: 2,017

The City Lane wrote:

X100V. - better lens at that focal length.

We don't know this yet.

-- hide signature --

Robert A
Fuji XT-2
Fuji X-E2
Epson 3880

Robert A's gear list:Robert A's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
moimoi
moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,422

For me, the X100V with both converters is a great tool so that you can capture frames at 28, 35 and 50 mm equivalent FF. Both converters work great and I can carry the whole system in a small bag. I am selling my X100T but definitely keeping both converters to use them on the X100V

The X100s cam can deliver great photo and is a great tool for street photo. Its form factor is actually perfect for my street work

This one below was taken with wider converter (28 mm)

This one below was taken with teleconverter (50 mm)

Cheers,

Max

-- hide signature --

Digital: Fujifilm GFX50R / Canon 5Div
Film: Minolta X570, XD5 & XD11 / Canon EOS 3
http://www.maximesiegler.com/
https://www.instagram.com/maxsiegler645/
And back to Analog Photography as well, oh well!
"All we have discovered is that it starts with a single individual - always a child - and then spreads explosively, like the formation of crystals round the first nucleus in a saturated solution." Arthur C. Clarke (Childhood's End, 1953)

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
moimoi
moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,422

ARB1 wrote:

Chrome always seem to look better to my eyes, and chrome won't prevent you to take good street photos.

I am shooting with a chrome Minolta XD5 (film) and nobody cares when I shoot that bad boy on the street.

-- hide signature --

Allen

-- hide signature --

Digital: Fujifilm GFX50R / Canon 5Div
Film: Minolta X570, XD5 & XD11 / Canon EOS 3
http://www.maximesiegler.com/
https://www.instagram.com/maxsiegler645/
And back to Analog Photography as well, oh well!
"All we have discovered is that it starts with a single individual - always a child - and then spreads explosively, like the formation of crystals round the first nucleus in a saturated solution." Arthur C. Clarke (Childhood's End, 1953)

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Truman Prevatt

Andrewcn wrote:

Well, in my case it’s because I only use the 23 and 35mm f2 lenses (currently on the x-t20). So I wondered whether the x100v plus the TCL-100 was just as good as using the xpro3 with the two f2 lenses.

My guess is one would take a not insignificant hit on IQ with a teleconverter on the 23 to get 35 vs the 35.  You will also take a hit in speed since a 23 f2 with a teleconverter is no longer f2.

-- hide signature --

___
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

JYPfoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,341

I’d much rather go with the X100V but I love the 35mm equivalent.  If I needed to go tighter I’d just use the digital crop instead of carrying around the teleconverter lens.

Gary H Senior Member • Posts: 2,520
Re: X100V or Xpro3 for Street Photography

JYPfoto wrote:

I’d much rather go with the X100V but I love the 35mm equivalent. If I needed to go tighter I’d just use the digital crop instead of carrying around the teleconverter lens.

I've used 35mm for decades and usually zoom with my feet.  Now, zoom isn't as fast as it use to be, but still works..I think.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7 +28 more
ikaika777
ikaika777 Senior Member • Posts: 2,321

For street photography? Any of the older generation Fuji cameras will do.

-- hide signature --

After all is said and done and your photo is hanging on the wall, no one is going to know or care what camera, lens, or what post processing you used. All they care about is if the image moves them.
I’m not hung up on the Bokeh fad because I’m too busy chasing shadows.

ikaika777's gear list:ikaika777's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads