R5 and moving the autofocus cursor

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Autoxave Regular Member • Posts: 186
R5 and moving the autofocus cursor

Do R5 have the same functionality when moving te autofocus point as the 1D Mark III? There is a button named AF-ON on the new images of R5 which seems bigger and different from the other buttons.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Ricoh Caplio R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dmatrix Photo
Dmatrix Photo Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: R5 and moving the autofocus cursor

Autoxave wrote:

Do R5 have the same functionality when moving te autofocus point as the 1D Mark III? There is a button named AF-ON on the new images of R5 which seems bigger and different from the other buttons.

No it doesn't appear so. It has a regular joystick. However I imagine that there would still be the option to touch and drag as well

Dmatrix Photo's gear list:Dmatrix Photo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM
OP Autoxave Regular Member • Posts: 186

Dmatrix Photo wrote:

Autoxave wrote:

No it doesn't appear so. It has a regular joystick. However I imagine that there would still be the option to touch and drag as well

Just seems so more effective with solution that 1D Mark III has. Hopefully it will be introduced in the second version.

tifa3 New Member • Posts: 5

doesn't look like it. maybe they're saving it for the mirrorless version of the 1dx3 and charge $6000 

RDM5546 Regular Member • Posts: 310

I think an R1D mirrorless 1DX III will be $7495 because it will be better and the access to great  glass is the key factor along with 1D performance leadship.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +29 more
Battersea Senior Member • Posts: 1,061

Autoxave wrote:

Canon had to leave something off or how could people complain?  That is a nifty focus point selector on the 1DXIII

Battersea's gear list:Battersea's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +6 more
RDM5546 Regular Member • Posts: 310

It is expensive in comparison to a joystick and does the same job.  I want closer to the 5D pricing not the 1DX III pricing.   I will gladly give up an optical mouse for a lower price.

The EOS R has the touch screen point which works very well for me and the mechanical touch bar is icing on the cake I think.

I would rather them put more resources into the EVF high speed performance.   May it will require the RF lenses only I do not know but I was better than EOS R High Speed Viewfinder experience on the R5.  20hz refresh rate would nice if the camera is shooting at 20 fps.   Of course a minimum of display black time too.

I know the 7D and 5D OVF will always be quicker for the faster moving subjects but I do not think that better than the EOS R is too much too ask for the hefty price they will be charging.  Maybe I will even buy the 100-500mm lens with two extenders if the EVF is good enough for high speed shooting for us self proclaim "spray and pray" shooters.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads