overrated Locked

Started 2 months ago | User reviews
This thread is locked.
phatgreatwall Forum Member • Posts: 72
overrated

it's a kit lens, and that's about it. color rendition isnt the greatest.

phatgreatwall's gear list:phatgreatwall's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-870 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Nikon 1 J1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon EOS R +8 more
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Zoom lens • Fujifilm X • 16276479
Announced: Sep 6, 2012
phatgreatwall's score
Average community score
Doug MacMillan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,030
Re: overrated

I've used two versions of this lens.  I rented the first one and it was adequate but unimpressive.   When reviewing the images I took with it, I noticed one side was softer than the other.  I'm pretty sure it was de-centered.

Despite that, I pre-ordered the X-E3 before released along with this lens.  The copy I bought is much better than the one I rented.  It is very sharp edge to edge.  I've compared it to my Canon EF 24-70 f4 L lens and at 24, 35 and 55 it is just as sharp.

There's no question the 16-55 2.8 is better, but it is much bigger and more costly.

The 18-55 was released in 2012 and was fine for the X cameras of the time. It is past due for a refresh.

Some people love it.  Some agree with you and aren't impressed.  I really think there must be some variability between samples.

Doug MacMillan's gear list:Doug MacMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
guitarjeff
guitarjeff Senior Member • Posts: 1,633

Doug MacMillan wrote:

I've used two versions of this lens. I rented the first one and it was adequate but unimpressive. When reviewing the images I took with it, I noticed one side was softer than the other. I'm pretty sure it was de-centered.

Despite that, I pre-ordered the X-E3 before released along with this lens. The copy I bought is much better than the one I rented. It is very sharp edge to edge. I've compared it to my Canon EF 24-70 f4 L lens and at 24, 35 and 55 it is just as sharp.

There's no question the 16-55 2.8 is better, but it is much bigger and more costly.

The 18-55 was released in 2012 and was fine for the X cameras of the time. It is past due for a refresh.

Some people love it. Some agree with you and aren't impressed. I really think there must be some variability between samples.

Agree.  Ilike mine just fine, in fact, I love it.  It satisfies me 100 percent.  Mine is a Made in Japan model that came from a kit early on in the X life span.  I have a couple of the Chinese cheap primes and the kit lens keeps up with them just fine.  Now that doesn't mean some couldn't take the photos that I like and still pixel peep and say how this side is one-thousandth less sharp than that side.  That stuff means nothing to me, either the photos feel good and feel satisfying or they don't.

Here's a few from mine, horrible problems and all. What is so true is that it's the individuals editing of the raw files that make far and away more difference in the final photo.  I edit to my satisfaction but others may say they don't like my editing decisions at all, but to me the editing is TEN TIMES more impactful than any worry I have about my 18-55 and its flaws.

My goodness, the recent thread here of people posting some of their favorite 18055 shots has HUNDREDS of astonishing, moving, beautiful photos.  If this lens is even close to its proper functionality then it is very capable of wonderful photos that would please all but the hardest headed pp'ing snobs.

Mac Daddy New Member • Posts: 24

phatgreatwall wrote:

2 1/2?  That's fair.  I wouldn't say "overrated" though because it is not rate that high.

Some do rate it higher and that is fair too.

deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 10,430
Overrated?? But not as bad as you make this sound she is ...

phatgreatwall wrote:

I never liked the lens much myself, BUT it is nowehere near as bad some people believe it is.

Your "review" would have been more impressive if you had some images to illustrate what exactly it is you mean by being "overrated" ...

Here are some images I took with the 18-55 when I had it:

Also have portraits, maybe for another day.

A bit harsh your "review" maybe?

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 21,034
OK, again - I'm always amazed at how...

...some folks can use a lens such as this and achieve stellar results and report accordingly, while some others may trash the lens and then talk about poor results.  The same holds true for cameras also - but the key variable here is if it's a problem across the board, or just a bad copy.  Some will bash a particular camera model, while others will sing its praises - go figure.  So who's right here?  I happen to think that the OP is NOT!  Of course, if you have a bad copy of anything, your viewpoints will be shaped by that particular product.

However (and this is a huge "however"), if based on just one copy of the lens, you proclaim to the world that this particular product (in general) sucks to the max and is overrated, then expect some (or plenty) of blowback.

Let the games begin.

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS M Olympus OM-D E-M5 Samsung NX500 +17 more
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,573
Re: undder rated...

Over rated compared to what? Over rated is relative rather than an absolute term.

IMHO, it is a fine lens for is purpose, price point and versatility.  Given that it is often viewed as a having better IQ and build quality than many manufacturers' standard kit lens, and that it has been around since 2012 (I believe) it is probably a commercial success and thus from Fuji's perspective and that of many contented users it is not over rated.

Does it equal the IQ of the 16-55, which I also have, not quite, but at f5.6+ many people would struggle to say which image was shot with which lens. On my last Summer's hiking trip in the Alps, the 18-55 performed well (on a XT3), was easy and light to carry, benefitted from OIS, and survived inclement weather.

At its price point, I think it is under rated.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +4 more
TheWhiteDog Regular Member • Posts: 415
Re: OK, again - I'm always amazed at how... my two cents

I can't say anything bad about my copy, obviously the primes I have are sharper, but they better be. Having said this, I do tend to shoot it at f5.6 so that would help it. My knocks on it more extend to its range, it would be so much nicer if it started at 16mm(but I realize it would be bigger), no problem with it going only to 55mm. And it would be nice if it were weather sealed, but of the lenses I have only the 90mm is. I was really hoping the 16-80mm would have been better than it is. Obviously the 16-55 f2.8 it the way to go if you don't mind the weight, and I might do that at the next sale since I now have a body that has IBIS.

Bottom line: I very much like the 18-55, but if I'm being extra picky I'll use a prime. As a walk around, one lens solution, it and my X-E3 give more than acceptable, in fact, very good to excellent results. Just know it limitations and stop it down a bit.

TheWhiteDog's gear list:TheWhiteDog's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
Re: Overrated?? But not as bad as you make this sound she is ...

Nice photos! Thanks for sharing.

Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
guitarjeff
guitarjeff Senior Member • Posts: 1,633
Re: Overrated?? But not as bad as you make this sound she is ...

deednets wrote:

phatgreatwall wrote:

I never liked the lens much myself, BUT it is nowehere near as bad some people believe it is.

Your "review" would have been more impressive if you had some images to illustrate what exactly it is you mean by being "overrated" ...

Here are some images I took with the 18-55 when I had it:

Also have portraits, maybe for another day.

A bit harsh your "review" maybe?

Deed

Very nice, and with the XE1 too, my two XE1 bodies are chugging along like champs.  I don't recall ever even having a freeze up with either one since I have owned them, like 5 years now or something.

Re: overrated-not

That thread you mentioned(the images taken with the 18-55 and to which I contributed a photo) was one of my all time favorite threads on this forum. So many amazing photos taken by those who just went out and used the lens without regard for the naysayers exemplified what the love of photography is all about. And what a great tool for those who buy their first Fuji to have that lens to work with! That helps so much in getting people to really enjoy, and become good at, photography. Is it a perfect lens? Of course not. But its a lovely lens to work with-look at Christopher Frost's review-not for the sharpness tests(which it does very well at) but for the joy it brought him in using it.

dm333 Regular Member • Posts: 144
Re: OK, again - I'm always amazed at how...

Ben Herrmann wrote:

...some folks can use a lens such as this and achieve stellar results and report accordingly, while some others may trash the lens and then talk about poor results. The same holds true for cameras also - but the key variable here is if it's a problem across the board, or just a bad copy. Some will bash a particular camera model, while others will sing its praises - go figure. So who's right here? I happen to think that the OP is NOT! Of course, if you have a bad copy of anything, your viewpoints will be shaped by that particular product.

However (and this is a huge "however"), if based on just one copy of the lens, you proclaim to the world that this particular product (in general) sucks to the max and is overrated, then expect some (or plenty) of blowback.

Let the games begin.

And similarly, if you have a good copy of a particular product, your viewpoint will be shaped accordingly...

The problem seems to be that there is substantial copy-to-copy variability with this lens. Reports are all over the place. Some people even report of going through multiple copies of this lens before getting a good one. My own copy of this lens has some substantial decentering issues. Personally, if my opinion of Fuji optics was based off my experience with the 18-55, I'd ditch this system all together.

The unfortunate thing is that some new Fuji users purchase this lens and get a mediocre copy. Then if they come around here saying their copy is mediocre they get a bunch of people telling them it's a really great lens. Often in a less than friendly manner.

I think a better message would be that the 18-55mm is capable of being very good optically, but you should be prepared to go through multiple copies until you get a satisfactory one. At least, that's what I would recommend to someone who is considering buying this lens.

dm333's gear list:dm333's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +2 more
vivanchenko
vivanchenko Contributing Member • Posts: 746
Re: OK, again - I'm always amazed at how...

All zoom lenses are affected by variations to a much greater degree than primes. Ever heard about tolerances stack-up? There is a lot more stuff to stack up when it comes to zoom lenses. The 18-55 happens to be Fuji's most popular zoom lens which means that the number of individual disappointed uses will be much greater if compared to other zoom lenses, but the actual percentage might be the same or even lower.

Happy users don't rush to forums to report that they have got a good copy of a specific lens. I know I didn't, even though I love my 18-55...

vivanchenko's gear list:vivanchenko's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 27,199

Mine works fine for what it is - a zoom with OS.

What a silly post. Maybe yours is not up to snuff? This comment will probably get deleted, but such is life. Hard to be nice when a negative comment is posted. Shoot at f5.6 and be happy.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D7200 Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +29 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,739

I am glad that you provided such an insightful opinion, well documented and based on your overwhelming experience.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 10,430

biza43 wrote:

I am glad that you provided such an insightful opinion, well documented and based on your overwhelming experience.

He got 6 "likes" so must be sufficient enough for some 

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
getochkn
getochkn Contributing Member • Posts: 916

deednets wrote:

biza43 wrote:

He got 6 "likes" so must be sufficient enough for some

Viewing this site on my phone, I tend to hit "like" when I'm trying to goto next page, as the CSS isn't fully loaded before I click, so sorry to any of the accidental likes I've given.

getochkn's gear list:getochkn's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 15,250
Hardly a “review” by any measure

phatgreatwall wrote:

I hate to have to add to the beating you’re taking from others here for your “review,” but I’d have to agree that the comments you’ve received so far are pretty well justified. You are more than entitled to your opinion of course, but to post something like this, call it a review, but provide no details or examples to support your contention Is a bit of a joke, and no one will take it seriously. The lack of activity in the thread is another good measure of this.

So, feel free to perhaps add a little more information and a few examples to support your contention, if you’d like your comments to be regarded as influential, useful, or meaningful.  Otherwise, this is of zero value to others here IMHO.

Not a great start if you wish to be active in the forum. I just wish I’d noticed this earlier.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
mrb375
mrb375 Contributing Member • Posts: 545

guitarjeff wrote:

Mine is a Made in Japan model that came from a kit early on in the X life span.

Mine is made in the Philippines, and I like it.. as I also like Yang Chow Fried Rice.. which originates from the Philippines.

Here's a shot..

mrb375's gear list:mrb375's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +3 more
57LowRider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,216
Re: Is it overrated?

I'd neglected mine for 5 years, only pulled it out again to play with extension rings, but I've ended up leaving it on the camera for a more extended period. It's not going to compete with the primes, it falls slightly short of the 16-55 (but by less than you'd imagine), but it has OIS and it's pretty small and light. Play to its strengths, it's a winner imo.

Crop in camera, SOOC

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads