Started 2 months ago | Discussions
WhoisDoubleA Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: pleasing everyone

nostatic wrote:

WhoisDoubleA wrote:

Keithpictures wrote:

nostatic wrote:

omar77w wrote:

While I’m usually not picky about this sort of stuff, and think people will “just deal with it,” I think the criticism is warranted here.
Buying a Fujifilm is all about the user experience, and compromising such an important element of it is a meh decision. Especially when the X-T100 mechanism exists, or at least the Sony a6400 (flips upwards).

The flip upward is problematic if you're mounting anything to the hot shoe. Flip down is problematic if you're using a tripod or sitting the camera on a table/etc. Flip to the side can be problematic with cables being plugged in.

I hadn't seen the S-1H screen before - that is a somewhat complex but interesting solution.

No company every makes everyone happy. Some people want a forward-facing screen capability. Some (many?) just want a tilt screen. Some (few?) want a screen that doesn't move at all. No pleasing everyone...

Something that would really please everyone would be to better develop connectivity to smartphones so that connecting (through Bluetooth, WiFi, anything) is super quick and easy, and then being able to use the phone screen as an external monitor.

If that tech were really perfected, youtubers, videographers and selfie takers would not worry nearly as much about the screen facing forward because they could easily frame and check their shot on their phone. Too bad this doesn’t feel evolving at all. It remains a total pain for every company.

This. Good call Keith!

Imagine a hot shoe mount that holds your cell phone as a monitor screen.

Already exists - lots of them

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shoe-Mount-Adapter-Kit/dp/B01MU73LLA

True. You are missing the sarcasm.

btw, I was mostly responding to the usability of the mobile app that the previous poster commented about. When Amazon can fix that, I will buy one😉

WhoisDoubleA's gear list:WhoisDoubleA's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 10,334
Re: X-T4 coming with a X-T200 style flippy screen

Fuji Maine wrote:

col4bin wrote:

It looks like the X-T# line is moving in the direction of a video centric camera and perhaps the X-H# line will be stills centric.

As indicated by it having 6k video capability. Oh wait, nevermind. Just wait until it's announced that it only has three axis IBIS. This very well could be the ultimate camera of compromise and cost cutting that makes no one happy.

Three axis Roll, pitch yaw, would be significantly easier and maintain the XT smaller size compared to the H1.  Eliminating the dX, dY would not require a significant enlargement in the shutter.  However, I suspect there would be weeks of whining and gnashing of teeth.

We should know soon.

It will be interesting to see what they try and charge for this.

It's a little bit bigger which will upset group A but if it's without an actual XH1 grip it will upset group B.

It's got a flip out screen but they just recycled an existing design that no one seems to be happy about.

No 6k.

Likely the same year and a half old sensor and processor.

Hopefully it comes with a leaf shutter from the XH1 but I don't think that can happen without a real grip.

And the final straw will be a less effective three stop ibis.

I really really really wanted this camera to be something significant and great but I fear that a statement about the way this camera is shaping up is going to hold true: this thing is going to be an absolute dumpster fire.

CP+ has been cancelled because of the thing we don't speak of here but that won't stop Sony and Canon from still announcing their pre Olympics release cameras. Canon is actually going to make a push to actually release some bold tech and Sony will likely impress with their a7iv at a price that under cuts the whole market. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Fuji is making incremental change at likely too high a price. Awesome.

-- hide signature --

"If you learn only methods, you’ll be tied to your methods, but if you learn principles you can devise your own methods." Ralph Waldo Emerson
___
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +8 more
Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 4,380

SantaMaria wrote:

Unfortunately if is not the right tool (for work other than video) then it ain’t gonna work.

The super funny thing is that I thought that the swivel screen was cool and to be honest I actually never thought about it until it was explained in this thread why it is bad in many ways and it makes total sense.

OMG how many people react here that don't have a clue what a swivel or flip screen actually implies vs photographic ability?

Unfortunately I’m not God and I don’t know everything but hey I learned something new here today so better late than never 😁

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
andywhoa
andywhoa Regular Member • Posts: 417
X-T1 is still the best X-Tn

Change my mind.

andywhoa's gear list:andywhoa's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 14,332

Batdude wrote:

SantaMaria wrote:

Unfortunately if is not the right tool (for work other than video) then it ain’t gonna work.

The super funny thing is that I thought that the swivel screen was cool and to be honest I actually never thought about it until it was explained in this thread why it is bad in many ways and it makes total sense.

OMG how many people react here that don't have a clue what a swivel or flip screen actually implies vs photographic ability?

Unfortunately I’m not God and I don’t know everything but hey I learned something new here today so better late than never 😁

IMHO all you learned today was the opinion of others who may or may not know your needs or best interest.

I much prefer to experience the camera first hand and determine for myself if it will work for me. Just because something does or does not work for someone else has no bearing on whether it will for me. As an example I shoot Fuji exclusively even for BiF's and action and the vast majority of photographers doing that would tell me I'm using a deficient system. I also have no interest in an X-H1 or the "Brick" but for many it's why they shoot Fuji.

Go figure. 

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +8 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 15,279
Re: X-T1 is still the best X-Tn

andywhoa wrote:

Change my mind.

Why?  Believe what you will... it's of no consequence to me or anyone else for that matter.  If it makes you happy and you believe it's the best solution for your own needs, who's to say that you're wrong (unless someone just likes to argue for the sake of arguing).  I happen to see things very differently, but that should not matter a whit to you and your own needs and I see no reason to fuel a rather pointless discussion with what will simply come down to a matter of personal preference.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Truman Prevatt

rwbaron wrote:

Wow!

Lot's of anger and angst based on a rumor site report when no one's actually seen the implementation.

The six stages of Internet rage over a Fuji (or actually any other make).

1. Great anticipation for the new release

2. Dwindling expectations that lead to

3. Horror at the truth

4. Anger and lashing out

5. Whining and Demanding Change

6. Disappearing till the next release when it starts anew

I have better things to do but it'd be fun to note all those on this thread that are vehement they won't buy an X-T4 but then end up with one.

Bob

-- hide signature --

"If you learn only methods, you’ll be tied to your methods, but if you learn principles you can devise your own methods." Ralph Waldo Emerson
___
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +8 more
eric333 Senior Member • Posts: 1,255

7. Purchasing the camera.

nostatic
nostatic Regular Member • Posts: 399

eric333 wrote:

7. Purchasing the camera.

8. going to the [insert other camera brand here] forum and asking about changing systems

9. sell existing gear at a loss

10. buy new gear, love it for awhile, then start noticing annoyances

11. go to step 1.

nostatic's gear list:nostatic's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7 III Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +5 more
Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 4,380

rwbaron wrote:

Batdude wrote:

SantaMaria wrote:

IMHO all you learned today was the opinion of others who may or may not know your needs or best interest.

I much prefer to experience the camera first hand and determine for myself if it will work for me. Just because something does or does not work for someone else has no bearing on whether it will for me. As an example I shoot Fuji exclusively even for BiF's and action and the vast majority of photographers doing that would tell me I'm using a deficient system. I also have no interest in an X-H1 or the "Brick" but for many it's why they shoot Fuji.

Go figure.

Bob

boogisha wrote:

"It`s not about preventing, but being less optimal for repetitive low(er) angle shooting (in landscape mode).  For example, with full swivel screen, you need to flip it out to the left first, then tilt up. Shoot, then repeat - align, flip back. It`s 4 steps of screen operation, in comparison to only 2 with plan tilt screen (tilt up, shoot, tilt back). In everyday photography, it adds up, and becomes annoying easily. See X-T100 for possibly the best tilt screen implementation (better than X-T3`s, even, in my opinion).  Also, tilt screen stays aligned with the lens (and camera), while swivel screen sticks out to the side, being both unusual to shoot with (adding to the feeling you`re looking at some external screen, off-camera axis) and making camera volume appear much greater (more attention grabbing, but also requiring different handing)."

Logically, if the camera comes with some kind of swivel screen that will work for me then no problem, but it seems like boogisha does things in a very similar way as I do, so I understood exactly what he/she is talking about. It has nothing to do with me listening to someone else's opinion because the camera isn't even out yet, but I can see where the swivel screen won't work for me either.

Often I shoot between crowds from a lower level and people's feet/shoes get REALLY close to my XT1 so I can see how a swivel screen won't be attached to the body for long

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
OP holashobby Contributing Member • Posts: 851

Truman Prevatt wrote:

rwbaron wrote:

Wow!

Lot's of anger and angst based on a rumor site report when no one's actually seen the implementation.

3. Horror at the truth

4. Anger and lashing out

I have better things to do but it'd be fun to note all those on this thread that are vehement they won't buy an X-T4 but then end up with one.

Bob

Those good ol' days before the internet!

When there was no anticipation for new releases

And every new release was bathed in praise, they all surpassed expectations

Disappointing releases were but a figment of the wildest imagination run amok

Thus, they all operated their appliances in blissful satisfaction

Oh! internet why comest thou to ruin their bliss.

Now let normal transmission resume.

holashobby's gear list:holashobby's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Truman Prevatt

holashobby wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

rwbaron wrote:

Wow!

3. Horror at the truth

4. Anger and lashing out

Bob

We have Al Gore, Jr to blame!

-- hide signature --

___
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt

holashobby wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

rwbaron wrote:

Wow!

3. Horror at the truth

4. Anger and lashing out

Bob

My sister tells me that there are about 8 or so new mental disorders that have arisen because of a combination of mobile devices and the Internet.  She thinks it is great, more topics for PdD students in psychology, more research money to explore these conditions and develop treatments and more patients since as a psychologist it gives her more opportunity to make money - and you though I am cynical. 

-- hide signature --

___
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

OP holashobby Contributing Member • Posts: 851

Truman Prevatt wrote:

holashobby wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

rwbaron wrote:

Wow!

3. Horror at the truth

4. Anger and lashing out

Bob

My sister tells me that there are about 8 or so new mental disorders that have arisen because of a combination of mobile devices and the Internet. She thinks it is great, more topics for PdD students in psychology, more research money to explore these conditions and develop treatments and more patients since as a psychologist it gives her more opportunity to make money - and you though I am cynical.

I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere, but I digress, I'll leave you to continue hand wringing about the terrible internet that came along to ruin the good ol' happy days better still to join a control group or two to help bring them back

holashobby's gear list:holashobby's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
boogisha Senior Member • Posts: 1,162
Re: Multi-axis tilt screen vs full swivel screen - second thoughts ;)

boogisha wrote:

Bugsy-ef wrote:

I may be just super daft, and there is loads of sarcasm in this thread which is sailing way over my head - but I see nothing wrong with the X-T200 type of screen.

What is that style of screen preventing you from doing so that you're already dismissing the camera itself. It pops out, rotates 180, what else do you want?

It`s not about preventing, but being less optimal for repetitive low(er) angle shooting (in landscape mode).

For example, with full swivel screen, you need to flip it out to the left first, then tilt up. Shoot, then repeat - align, flip back. It`s 4 steps of screen operation, in comparison to only 2 with plan tilt screen (tilt up, shoot, tilt back). In everyday photography, it adds up, and becomes annoying easily. See X-T100 for possibly the best tilt screen implementation (better than X-T3`s, even, in my opinion).

Also, tilt screen stays aligned with the lens (and camera), while swivel screen sticks out to the side, being both unusual to shoot with (adding to the feeling you`re looking at some external screen, off-camera axis) and making camera volume appear much greater (more attention grabbing, but also requiring different handling).

Hmm, thinking more about it, I may actually like what Fuji did with X-T4, having a fully articulating swivel screen, for two reasons:

1) It will _certainly_ be appreciated by _some_ amount of users (even if mostly video-oriented, doesn`t matter), providing something for this specific group, too, which didn`t exist in Fuji ecosystem so far (not counting recent X-T200, being a different class of camera altogether), possibly even attracting more people over.

2) It will _hopefully_ help _this_ user stop even thinking about upgrading, and appreciate X-T3 for what it is for at least one more cycle...

It`s funny how I always wanted a screen like this on my Canon 5D Mark IV (having a fixed screen only), knowing that Canon 6D Mark II has it (for example)... But after using X-T3`s three-way tilt screen, I find that much better, even (and fully articulating swivel one a step back in everyday shooting convenience).

The only thing I occasionally miss on X-T3 is having the screen face forward - something that X-T100 screen implementation addresses, too (also 3-way tilt, but a bit different one, allowing "selfie" screen orientation, too).

And the only thing I actually find positive about fully articulating swivel screen (of X-T4) is the fact it can be turned around to face the body, both for protection, but also for a bit different shooting experience (*cough* pure photography X-Pro3 *cough*).

All that said, laying back in the chair with an X-T3 in hand, I would still hope Fuji will bring multi-way tilt screen back in X-T5, but also allowing front facing this time (like X-T100, or similar), or even a tilt/swivel combination (like Panasonic S1H, but preferably much less bulky), allowing the screen to be "closed" towards the body, too.

For me, the most important takeaway here is that IBIS has landed in X-Tx series, and with a splash (if it proves to be up to par with X-H1 - or better, even). Do I need it right away? Nah... Not really for the majority of stuff I usually shoot, and for videos XF 18-55 will do for a while more (or XF 16-80, even, both with OIS). So I should be able to sit X-T4 out comfortably, but keeping an eye on how the overall situation unrolls.

Having a variety of choices is a good thing, and X-T3 is still a wonderful camera (even without hopefully coming new firmware updates), still sharing some of the most important internals with new X-T4 (like sensor), so both cameras can still happily coexist, varying in some key features (like IBIS and back screen implementation, this time around) - but price, too. Pick your poison

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon PowerShot A75 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads