Z firmware

Started 1 week ago | Discussions
Bjorn74 Forum Member • Posts: 88
Z firmware

Is 2.2 the last firmeware for Z6 and Z7? I have a guts feeling that Nikon will not provide more updates.

Nikon needs to take care of the Z owners before they jump ship.

- Nikon needs to update the AF ergonomics.

- Introduce new AF mode. A 3D mode that is a seperat mode that you activate and deactivate with AFON in AF-C mode.

- Make eye-af to work in every mode and increase the AI to find eyes from futher distance. Like Canon and Sony.

Please Nikon!

Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
avatar77 Regular Member • Posts: 205
Re: Z firmware

Please read the interview with the Nikon exec on the front page. He says (speaking about the slow rollout of the ProRes RAW update):

To be honest, it was just a question of resources. But after I took over product planning, we are planning to schedule firmware updates more frequently. We don’t want that kind of delay [again] between the announcement of firmware and its availability. We want to do regular scheduled firmware updates to keep the products up to date for a long time.

I certainly take that to mean more updates are in the works.

avatar77's gear list:avatar77's gear list
Nikon Z6 Apple iPhone XS Max
PaulV Senior Member • Posts: 1,166

Is this another thread based on simply a “gut feeling?”

-- hide signature --

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be lived.

OP Bjorn74 Forum Member • Posts: 88

PaulV wrote:

So please, help me to have higher hopes. Because I have invested in a Z6 and three Z lenses (85/1.8, 50/1.8 and 14-30/4) also have 300/4 PF and 105 macro, but I'm starting to wobble against EOS R5.

Geomaticsman Senior Member • Posts: 2,690

Bjorn74 wrote:

PaulV wrote:

So please, help me to have higher hopes. Because I have invested in a Z6 and three Z lenses (85/1.8, 50/1.8 and 14-30/4) also have 300/4 PF and 105 macro, but I'm starting to wobble against EOS R5.

I'm not hopeful we'll see anymore significant firmware updates from Nikon. Sorry. Guess you'll just have to switch.

-- hide signature --

Garfield

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +5 more
Joop_S Forum Member • Posts: 70

Geomaticsman wrote:

Bjorn74 wrote:

PaulV wrote:

I'm not hopeful we'll see anymore significant firmware updates from Nikon. Sorry. Guess you'll just have to switch.

And 1 day after switching Nikon come with a firmware update. They promised more updates.

Read this:

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/6739481235/ces-2020-interview-nikon-we-are-at-a-transitional-stage

Joop_S's gear list:Joop_S's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Virtual Photon Senior Member • Posts: 1,077

Bjorn74 wrote:

PaulV wrote:

1.  Cameras (and lenses) aren't investments.

2.  Anyone who would drop 5+K on a system that did not do what they needed it to do needed to do better homework.

3. Nobody, including Nikon, ever guaranteed that firmware fixes would address improved functionality of the system - vague marketing pronouncement notwithstanding.

Virtual Photon's gear list:Virtual Photon's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +7 more
StevieF Contributing Member • Posts: 754

The grass is always greener..... etc etc.

What do you want folk to say?

I think there will be further firmware Z6/7 updates - but then again, there may not! Who knows!?

Why did you invest in the Z gear in the first place - must have been a reason? 
Unless there is a solid, definite reason to switch which will definitely add something (and only you know that) then quit wobbling and enjoy what you’ve got.

-- hide signature --

You may think that - I couldn't possibly comment.

StevieF's gear list:StevieF's gear list
Nikon Df Ricoh GR Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +10 more

StevieF wrote:

I think there will be further firmware Z6/7 updates - but then again, there may not! Who knows!?

Unless there is a solid, definite reason to switch which will definitely add something (and only you know that) then quit wobbling and enjoy what you’ve got.

I enjoy everything about the Z6 except the AF system. And the AF systems functionality is a big deal.

SpacemanUA
SpacemanUA Senior Member • Posts: 1,539

Bjorn74 wrote:

Do you realize that R5 is nothing but some marketing bait at this moment? Being realistic, it will have very crippled 8K like 10 seconds max or upscaled or something like that. Just to show that "it's there". There were no words on 4K. And I guess that 4K/120 or even 4K/60 sounds more impressive than questionable 8K. And, most important, this camera will cost about $5-6k body only which is more than the cost of all your system.

And what's wrong with your Z6 as for today? AF ergonomics? Well, then, I guess Nikon did impressive job with Z cameras if it's the only thing that you not satisfied with.

SpacemanUA's gear list:SpacemanUA's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8
starfly Contributing Member • Posts: 623

Bjorn74 wrote:

PaulV wrote:

I highly recommend you jump ship to Canon.  I'll buy that 14-30/4 from you, love it when I can get a great deal when people sell their stuff for the latest and greatest.

starfly's gear list:starfly's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 4,364

Bjorn74 wrote:

StevieF wrote:

I enjoy everything about the Z6 except the AF system. And the AF systems functionality is a big deal.

Then why did you make such an investment in the first place? Has the focus system begun working poorly compared to how it worked when you bought it? I fail to understand why anyone would invest in a system that doesn't meet their needs, or expectations. Do you often buy products that don't meet your needs, then expect the manufacturer to improve it for you at no additional cost? You don't live in a world of reality.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

Bjorn74 wrote:

StevieF wrote:

Then why did you make such an investment in the first place? Has the focus system begun working poorly compared to how it worked when you bought it? I fail to understand why anyone would invest in a system that doesn't meet their needs, or expectations. Do you often buy products that don't meet your needs, then expect the manufacturer to improve it for you at no additional cost? You don't live in a world of reality.

I had expectations that Nikon would fix the AF with fw, but times running.

msu79gt82 Contributing Member • Posts: 836

Bjorn74 wrote:

Bjorn74 wrote:

StevieF wrote:

The AF on my Z6 isn’t broke.

msu79gt82's gear list:msu79gt82's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +1 more
edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 4,050

Bjorn74 wrote:

Bjorn74 wrote:

StevieF wrote:

I do a lot of event photography - automotive, concerts, museums, speaking events, I do a lot of landscapes, urban photography, portraits. The AF in my Z6 has never failed me, so there is nothing to fix. I guess you must be shooting something else.

edispics's gear list:edispics's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 Nikon D70 +25 more

Bjorn74 wrote:

Bjorn74 wrote:

StevieF wrote:

As you now realize, that was a huge mistake. Buy a camera for what it can do. Never buy one based on what you think the manufacturer might do. They are under no obligation other than make it work to their specifications at the time of purchase.

-- hide signature --

Steve

avatar77 Regular Member • Posts: 205

Bjorn74 wrote:

Not to pile on, but on top of what others have said, Nikon HAS significantly improved the AF through firmware updates. FW v1.0 to v2.0 is a big leap, and v2.1 further improved face and eye AF (noticeable increase in ability of AF system to detect and lock on to eyes in particular, plus less likelihood of AF locking onto high contrast background object). Somebody recently posted a YouTube comparison of Sony, Nikon, and Canon mirrorless AF systems and Nikon actually had some of the best results of the three. Very impressive considering where the Z started at release.

I agree that the tracking AF implementation is clumsy, but I'm not expecting Nikon to completely revise that interface on the existing Z bodies (though I would be quite happy if they did).

I buy products for the functionality they have at the time of purchase. Unless the manufacturer has promised specific additional functionality coming via an update, you just cannot reasonably expect anything other than bug fixes.  Yes, I'm optimistic based on that interview with the Nikon exec. Will continual updates make it more likely I buy another Z in the future?  You bet.  But it is just one factor that goes into future purchasing decisions.

avatar77's gear list:avatar77's gear list
Nikon Z6 Apple iPhone XS Max
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 7,549

SpacemanUA wrote:

Bjorn74 wrote:

Do you realize that R5 is nothing but some marketing bait at this moment? Being realistic, it will have very crippled 8K like 10 seconds max or upscaled or something like that. Just to show that "it's there". There were no words on 4K. And I guess that 4K/120 or even 4K/60 sounds more impressive than questionable 8K. And, most important, this camera will cost about $5-6k body only which is more than the cost of all your system.

And what's wrong with your Z6 as for today? AF ergonomics? Well, then, I guess Nikon did impressive job with Z cameras if it's the only thing that you not satisfied with.

I have no idea what AF ergonomics even is.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 +18 more

Bjorn74 wrote:

Not to pile on, but on top of what others have said, Nikon HAS significantly improved the AF through firmware updates. FW v1.0 to v2.0 is a big leap, and v2.1 further improved face and eye AF (noticeable increase in ability of AF system to detect and lock on to eyes in particular, plus less likelihood of AF locking onto high contrast background object). Somebody recently posted a YouTube comparison of Sony, Nikon, and Canon mirrorless AF systems and Nikon actually had some of the best results of the three. Very impressive considering where the Z started at release.

Yes, they have done a good job of upgrading AF well beyond the initial release. Kudos to Nikon for that. I became interested in the Z's when first announced. I hesitated about buying until after release. Very quickly after they hit the market, reviews and comments in forums began to bring to light the inadequacies of the AF system. I quickly brushed off the idea of buying one.

After version 2 of the firmware was released, I saw way more favorable comments in the media. I was able to buy in at a lower price. And, I was happy from day one. I avoided the buyer's remorse that often accompanies early purchase. Since that time, Nikon has continued to upgrade and improve the AF. I hope they continue to release improvements. But, I have no worries if they don't. The Z7 works fine for me like it is. Nikon has already given me more than I paid for. Any thing beyond this point is certainly a bonus.

I agree that the tracking AF implementation is clumsy, but I'm not expecting Nikon to completely revise that interface on the existing Z bodies (though I would be quite happy if they did).

+1. The interview with a Nikon executive that was recently posted gives me hope. Hardware has to be a limiting factor at some point. I don't have a clue what can be accomplished with just firmware. My fingers are crossed, with the realization that it might not get better than it already is.

I buy products for the functionality they have at the time of purchase. Unless the manufacturer has promised specific additional functionality coming via an update, you just cannot reasonably expect anything other than bug fixes. Yes, I'm optimistic based on that interview with the Nikon exec. Will continual updates make it more likely I buy another Z in the future? You bet. But it is just one factor that goes into future purchasing decisions.

I'm with you.

-- hide signature --

Steve

SteveCooper
SteveCooper Senior Member • Posts: 1,323

Patience is required, both for further firmware updates, and patience for learning the AF system.

I have a Z7, D500 and Z6, purchased in that order (the Z6 after Version 2.20 came out).

If you haven't purchased Thom Hogan's ebook on the Z6 & Z7, I highly suggest you do so and then as you are reading it, practice using the AF.

Yes, the AF works differently than Nikon's DSLRs. Yes it is not perfect, but what camera is? If I can learn how to shoot wildlife with a Z7, I am certain that you can get plenty of keepers with your Z6. It took me about a week of 4 hours each day to get used to my Z.

I also shoot BIF (Birds In Flight), and while my Z7 CAN do it, I wanted the D500 for that specific application. I'm happy with that decision - it is faster and I get more "keepers".

Call me crazy, but I bought the Z6 for the superior video capabilities over the Z7.

I tell you all of this because I want you to realize I'm heavily invested in Nikon. I have lots of F mount lenses that I use on my D500 and use with FTZ adapters on my Zs, as well as Z mount 14-35 f/4, 24-70 f/4 & 50 f/1.8.

I am "ALL in" and I am not regretting my decision at all. I take each new firmware update as a gift. Nikon is not required to do anything to their cameras after they enter the market. It is wise for them to update firmware with bug fixes, but after that, I don't expect much, so I'm truly happy and excited when they offer more.

Bottom line, don't buy any product if you're not happy with the way it works WHEN you buy it. Don't buy a car on promised or rumored updates, and certainly don't buy any electronic device based on promised or rumored updates.

We are only talking about a camera here, not a life or death medical device with a defect. Unless you're a professional photographer, this camera stuff is supposed to be fun. Go take some photos and practice with your camera

Best of luck to you.

-- hide signature --

(that "thing" I'm playing is called an EVI, short for Electronic Valve Instrument

SteveCooper's gear list:SteveCooper's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon D300S Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads