EM1 MKiii - Buying a new camera / upgrading / not

Started 1 week ago | Discussions
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 40,364
EM1 MKiii - Buying a new camera / upgrading / not

Was thinking more about this camera. It's not a bad camera per se. Also some people act as if they are entitled for the company to produce some worthy upgrade to upgrade, instead of just consider what they have is wonderful to do the photography they said they wanted to do already.

Seems like there's a few key perspectives here

1 - Those that always get latest, who want to upgrade from their EM1 Mii

2 - Those who waited and are upgrading from Em1 mK1 or something like EM5 MKII

3 - Those who are not necessarily buying it, but wonder where the company is going marketwise, and if it will be viable mid-long term future

4 - Those who are new

When it comes to it, if the EM1 MKii has merit and is a good camera model, then it surely follows a refinement of that model is still good.

Group 1

The people in group #1 should really wonder if they want to do photography or they are just doing GAS, collection, etc.  Nothing wrong with that if you have the time/cash and you realize it's not photography (i.e. don't kid yourself you are doing photography).

I have fallen at times in that, trying to "detox" in the last year.

Group 2

Those in group 2 are probably the ones that may enjoy the new camera the most

Group 3

I suppose it makes sense to wonder what's going on.  But in the end consider it would take a while for the company to go away anyway, enjoy what you got.

Group 4

Those who are new, to which m43rds presented some alternative (hopefully size/weight), will be getting a refinement of what was there, doesn't seem so bad.

Truth is, I think the camera overall is fine, the real issue is that Olympus isn't coming into the market in a vacuum. If Olympus was the sole camera manufacturer, this could be seen as quite a cool model on its own right.

This brings some mixed feelings in my view. I see it's a good product, but I want to see what the Fuji X-T4 will be like which would be a direct competitor. AT least Olympus seems to finally be focusing again on smaller size overall. The new zoom lens is phenomenal to make the case.

When you are dealing at the $1,800 price level, it's more than fair if someone is shopping to compare what's around that price in competitors, and see if they are a better match for your needs.

I can still look at this camera even though I know I am definitively not buying one.  Not my camera.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sherlock74
Sherlock74 Regular Member • Posts: 498
Re: EM1 MKiii - Buying a new camera / upgrading / not

Some very good points there.

As an Olympus user I will be waiting to have a look at the Fuji XT-4.

Rightly or wrongly, MFT and particularly Olympus have taken a heck of a lot of criticism lately.

Not that they have to, but they haven't exactly silenced the critics with this new model. Nevertheless it is an improved model.

I would love Olympus to 'smash it out the park' but for me, I'm a little deflated. I'll stick with my Em1 mark ii.

Plus the magnificent range and performance of the Oly 40-150 Pro lens keeps me with Olympus....for now.

sunjester
sunjester Senior Member • Posts: 1,634

Not upgrading here either. Not that I owned the previous model at all, but own m43 gear and used it with joy.

For me it's more of a question of whether or not to even stick with the format. Not sure Olympus is picking a good time to turtle and offer up the third parts bin camera in a row. Seems a lot of those parts are basically showing up in point and shoots now. So will wait and see if we can get the Olympus of old back, or this is our future.

Lots of small great performing mirrorless out there. Also the bridge cameras are performing better and better with better parts to boot. The future will tell if this is a good time to turtle. Canon sure doesn't seem to think it is.

-- hide signature --

I own cameras that others don't like.

sunjester's gear list:sunjester's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 +6 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,283

I stopped by the local camera store and pre-ordered the E-M1 Mkiii.  I currently own the Pen F, E-M1.2 and the E-M1X.   The E-M1.2 has over 200,000 shutter activations, so it is a high mileage camera.  The E-M1.2 didn't geta lot of use after I brought the E-M1X.   The E-M1X is a noticeably better camera than the E-M1.2, so the E-M1X got used more.   Even when I would rather have a smaller camera like the E-M1.2.  The new E-M1.3 looks to be a more refined E-M1.2 with most of the performance of E-M1X.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
Jim Vincent Contributing Member • Posts: 999
Color me Group 2

I've loved my E-M1.1 and have collected a nice range of lenses. I skipped the 1.2 but am thinking I'll jump on the 1.3

Of course I'd like it to be an even bigger jump in features/technology, but, for me it will be a huge jump and it will preserve my investment in lovely Olympus glass.

Jim Vincent's gear list:Jim Vincent's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,808

I guess it depends on whether you compare a top-end MFT camera with a lower level camera from APSC or FF; also whether it's mirrorless or not matters to some of us.

If you don't care about body size, then there's the G9 or a lot of DSLRs to choose from.

If you don't care about lens size and cost, then there are options with a larger sensor.

I'd say Olympus have made sensible choices in a tough market and produced a decent successor to the EM1.2.  If the 12-45 Pro is really a Pro that matches the 12-100 in IQ, then the combination with a mk III EM5 or EM1 is a good package for some of us.

The EM1.2 is a pretty good camera for a lot of what I shoot and I just upgraded from the EM1.1 at an attractive grey-market price.  I can't see Olympus producing a body optimised for landscape; shame, as the 12-45 might be the ideal lens.

So, likely to upgrade to EM1.3 in 2-4 years and confident to buy MFT lenses, knowing it's there.  The new processor had better have improved the AF, at least by firmware 2, otherwise Sony beckons, now that Tamron are producing affordable lenses at a weight I can carry.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R +28 more
OP Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 40,364

ahaslett wrote:

I guess it depends on whether you compare a top-end MFT camera with a lower level camera from APSC or FF; also whether it's mirrorless or not matters to some of us.

Fuji is doing an APSC camera top tier that is in the same tier.  The X-T3 right now. The X-T4 in about two weeks.

If you don't care about body size, then there's the G9 or a lot of DSLRs to choose from.

If you don't care about lens size and cost, then there are options with a larger sensor.

I'd say Olympus have made sensible choices in a tough market and produced a decent successor to the EM1.2. If the 12-45 Pro is really a Pro that matches the 12-100 in IQ, then the combination with a mk III EM5 or EM1 is a good package for some of us.

I really think the little lens is a star of the announcements.

The EM1.2 is a pretty good camera for a lot of what I shoot and I just upgraded from the EM1.1 at an attractive grey-market price. I can't see Olympus producing a body optimised for landscape; shame, as the 12-45 might be the ideal lens.

So, likely to upgrade to EM1.3 in 2-4 years and confident to buy MFT lenses, knowing it's there. The new processor had better have improved the AF, at least by firmware 2, otherwise Sony beckons, now that Tamron are producing affordable lenses at a weight I can carry.

Andrew

I could be wrong butt seems to me you would be happy keeping your EM1 MK2 and just getting the new small zoom lens.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Jim Vincent Contributing Member • Posts: 999
<1¢/exposure - you deserve an E-M1.3

Sounds like you've gotten your money's worth.

Jim Vincent's gear list:Jim Vincent's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
ahaslett

Raist3d wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

Fuji is doing an APSC camera top tier that is in the same tier. The X-T3 right now. The X-T4 in about two weeks.

I'd say Olympus have made sensible choices in a tough market and produced a decent successor to the EM1.2. If the 12-45 Pro is really a Pro that matches the 12-100 in IQ, then the combination with a mk III EM5 or EM1 is a good package for some of us.

The EM1.2 is a pretty good camera for a lot of what I shoot and I just upgraded from the EM1.1 at an attractive grey-market price. I can't see Olympus producing a body optimised for landscape; shame, as the 12-45 might be the ideal lens.

So, likely to upgrade to EM1.3 in 2-4 years and confident to buy MFT lenses, knowing it's there. The new processor had better have improved the AF, at least by firmware 2, otherwise Sony beckons, now that Tamron are producing affordable lenses at a weight I can carry.

Andrew

I could be wrong butt seems to me you would be happy keeping your EM1 MK2 and just getting the new small zoom lens.

I see that my post was clear, although I'd have to see an advantage over the 12-40 Pro that I already have.  I like the EM1.2, so I expect I'll like the EM1.3 later.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

LightCameraAction Regular Member • Posts: 228

I am in group 2. I recently upgraded to the EM5 mkii. I do not feel like the camera is holding me back at all.

I also wonder where Olympus is going in the future as a company. That concern has kept me from seriously considering purchasing new lenses (however, that is probably a good thing since I have all the lenses I need).

ahaslett wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

Fuji is doing an APSC camera top tier that is in the same tier. The X-T3 right now. The X-T4 in about two weeks.

Andrew

I see that my post was clear, although I'd have to see an advantage over the 12-40 Pro that I already have. I like the EM1.2, so I expect I'll like the EM1.3 later.

Andrew

If you already have the 12-40 Pro, there's not much. For me there's a lot because I don't have that one and I do put a lot of weight in size. The new lens has more reach, it's smaller, lighter.

But yeah, if you are pretty happy with the 12-40 I don't see much point in getting the new one.

-- hide signature --

andrew bentley
andrew bentley Junior Member • Posts: 25

Exactly my thoughts. I Use the E-M1X much more that the the E-M1.2 since I got it ( at launch) I'll probably trade the 1.2 for the 1.3 as soon as its released.  All the same features in a smaller, lighter package.

andrew bentley's gear list:andrew bentley's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
DLGW Senior Member • Posts: 1,242
I'm group 2. I'll probably upgrade, but the Mk 3 is a bit dissapointing.

I hoped for but didn't expect a new sensor. Fine - sensor tech is pretty stalled.

Hand held high rez is great - it's a feature I will use.

The same mediocre EVF though? Simply a cost cutting measure.  No excuse other than that.  Charge more - put the same great EVF from the Sony AR4 and the Panasonic S cameras.

Video. Olympus can't even come close to Panasonic's *still camera* video specs.

Come on - no 4k60p?  To be honest, I think they will add it in a later firmware, but there was no reason they couldn't add it from the get go.  Everything about this camera is recycled - it's not like their R&D team was busy.

Other than HHHR - I'm not sure what this camera really offers me that the Panny G9 doesn't do - sometimes better - for a lot less money.

I'll probably get the EM 1 Mk 3 - but I'll wait first to see what Panasonic's next gen m43 cameras look like.

DLGW's gear list:DLGW's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +6 more
Box Brownie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,221

To me it is not just about buying the latest & greatest but more about, do the additional functionality and improvements offer me anything by way of increasing my keeper rate.

These improvements can be in either handling and/or function of the Mk3 over the Mk2:-
Joystick and button positioning and hence ease of making changes
The extra Custom set
The ability (apparently) to alter a Custom set and save that change without having to men dive.
The Custom AF zones (I wished for that in MK2 v3 firmware )

I see all those as beneficial and not just about the G.A.S

As for the money ~ decisions, decisions ???

-- hide signature --
Mark B UK Senior Member • Posts: 1,655

I'm in an additional category: 'wait and see.' Two things I'm waiting for are the Fuji X-T4 and to see how long it takes for the price of the E-M1 mk3 to drop, and how far it goes.

The X-T4 tempts me, but I'd want to know more. Liking the m43 lenses I've got (12-100 and 25 1.2) and there being no direct equivalent of the former for the Fuji mean it would have to be some way ahead of the Olympus to win me over.

If it doesn't, I'll pass on the e-M1 mk3 right now as it has launched in the UK at a high price (£1599) but with a free gift (Capture One Pro 20) which I don't want, as I'm a LightRoom user and don't want to switch and will instead wait and see what happens to the price when the promotion ends. £200 off might tempt me; another £100 might do the job.

Mark B UK's gear list:Mark B UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 25mm F1.2 Samsung Galaxy S9+
Henry Stamm Veteran Member • Posts: 3,170

I'm in another group entirely--one who is interested in hearing/reading about new offerings, but has no money to buy   In my case, my em1.2 works just fine, is only up to 40,000 clicks after 3 yrs of use, and all my 4/3 lenses work perfectly well with it.   I purchased a PL 12-60 at the same time I bought the camera 3 yrs ago and I recently purchased a Sigma 30mm f1.4 when it was on a deep discount.  So I really don't need any more lenses.  The new f4 Pro lens doesn't make any sense to me at all, since my PL 12-60 covers a wider range and is faster overall.  And to me, it's small and light weight enough that I don't consider size/weight a relevant factor.

Even considering another system is completely out of the question--I can't afford to replace lenses.  I don't need to upgrade the camera itself for what I shoot.  That said, if money circumstances change in the next couple of years, I might be interested in picking up a low-mileage 1x.  But then again, maybe not.

Henry Stamm's gear list:Henry Stamm's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD +4 more
rich_cx139
rich_cx139 Regular Member • Posts: 385

Well I am sticking to my old em5.1 for time being.

I had an em1.1 but sold it and some long pro glass when I went to a d500 etc for wildlife.

Perversely, I really like what I read about the capability of the em1.2 - paticularly, that in terms of noise at higher iso if not dr, it gets into aps-c sensor territory.

I am tracking used prices of the em1.2 so if they continue to fall, following the release of the em1.3 , I will probably get one - I hope this year.

actually - just checked em1.2: new panamoz with 3 yr uk based warranty 894 gbp, used/ excellent mpb uk 824. getting close now....

ahaslett

Raist3d wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

Andrew

I see that my post was clear, although I'd have to see an advantage over the 12-40 Pro that I already have. I like the EM1.2, so I expect I'll like the EM1.3 later.

Andrew

If you already have the 12-40 Pro, there's not much. For me there's a lot because I don't have that one and I do put a lot of weight in size. The new lens has more reach, it's smaller, lighter.

But yeah, if you are pretty happy with the 12-40 I don't see much point in getting the new one.

It depends on my priorities for the photo budget.  Capture One 20 is next.  Depends how good the 12-45 is.  No MF ring is a bit of a bust, but I guess it keeps the cost and weight down.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

ahaslett

I bought my EM1.2 from E Infinity in November for £760.  I reckon you effectively get 6 months warranty under UK consumer law.  That's equivalent to a reputable used dealer, like Ffordes.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Sane way to look at it.

I am willing to bet through there are many that think that way, but it's mostly GAS and they are not really improving their photography.

But yeah, it's good when you can identify those needs and benefits very clearly.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads