Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

Started Feb 13, 2020 | Discussions
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,614
Re: Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

PWPhotography wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

I've already adapted the EF 70-200 2.8 III on the R, and it works well. MUCH better than any adapted teles did on LA-EA3 style Sony adapters.

How well, in static AF-S?

No, continuous shooting in AF-C with moving subjects.

How many Canon sport PJs shooting adapted long lenses on EOS R? Zero, basically. FE 70-200 GM on A7r IV or A9 beat your set out of water in AF-C tracking.

That is not even a super-tele lens. Try 400L/2.8 IS III, 500L/4.0 IS II and 600L/4.0 IS III adapted on EOS-R in sport and fast BIF.

Are you a sports PJ or wildlife shooter? Why are you so concerned with their needs?

The same Canon and Nikon stay in their comfortable DSLR formula, 1Dx III and D6. Don't think this R5 can compete to 1Dx III, D6 and A9/II, wait and see if it even can compete to A7r IV?

How are they staying comfortable? They both just released FF MILC systems and Canon in particular has been aggressive in updating it.

The more interesting camera to me is the R6- basically looks like a real answer to the A7III based on the rumors. I just got my R and am happy with it though so no big rush.

R6, another vaporware? So far only heard much hyped R5.

Nothing is as hyped as Sony The same sources that reported the R5 before this press release are reporting the R6 and a high resolution RF body too.

Sony is hailed with so many innovations in last several years, as also said by DPR. As a matter of fact I have purchased so many Sony bodies and lenses in last 5 years, virtually zero on Canon gear (except two Canon refurbished EF lenses that I sold later and replaced by Sony counterparts).

Why does what you've purchased matter? And innovating isn't necessarily the same as making good cameras.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,874

sportyaccordy wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

I've already adapted the EF 70-200 2.8 III on the R, and it works well. MUCH better than any adapted teles did on LA-EA3 style Sony adapters.

How well, in static AF-S?

No, continuous shooting in AF-C with moving subjects.

How many Canon sport PJs shooting adapted long lenses on EOS R? Zero, basically. FE 70-200 GM on A7r IV or A9 beat your set out of water in AF-C tracking.

That is not even a super-tele lens. Try 400L/2.8 IS III, 500L/4.0 IS II and 600L/4.0 IS III adapted on EOS-R in sport and fast BIF.

Are you a sports PJ

No and no interest wanna to be.

or wildlife shooter?

Yes and have been to Alaska and Africa safari and will go again Also I shoot action photos such as airshow. So now I own both FE 100-400 GM and FE 200-600 G.

Why are you so concerned with their needs?

To burst your claim that there is no compromise by adapting EF lenses that is just your personal wishful think and I'd not believe until pros use such compromised setup. Later you seem change your stand to admit indeed there will be compromise. Let's see that Canon and Nikon have to design and release their long lenses in order to take full potential of their ML bodies, otherwise Sony will be very happy as such adapted lenses never can compete to native long lenses on Sony bodies.

The same Canon and Nikon stay in their comfortable DSLR formula, 1Dx III and D6. Don't think this R5 can compete to 1Dx III, D6 and A9/II, wait and see if it even can compete to A7r IV?

How are they staying comfortable?

To keep their sport and wildlife photogs and to meet their needs, as their ML are far from performing tasks well.

They both just released FF MILC systems and Canon in particular has been aggressive in updating it.

Under Sony's pressure to kick their butts. But glad they join in ML FF bandwagon that speed up competition and innovations for all parties.

The more interesting camera to me is the R6- basically looks like a real answer to the A7III based on the rumors. I just got my R and am happy with it though so no big rush.

Nothing is as hyped as Sony The same sources that reported the R5 before this press release are reporting the R6 and a high resolution RF body too.

Sony is hailed with so many innovations in last several years, as also said by DPR. As a matter of fact I have purchased so many Sony bodies and lenses in last 5 years, virtually zero on Canon gear (except two Canon refurbished EF lenses that I sold later and replaced by Sony counterparts).

Why does what you've purchased matter? And innovating isn't necessarily the same as making good cameras.

Matters to me as it's Sony gave me choices of ML FF bodies. Canon and Nikon are late jumping on the bandwagon.

Good or bad not subject to you and me but by independent creditable reviews. Sony cameras have the best reviews in last several years, such as A9 and A7r IV, check yourself of their DPR reviews for example unless you believe DPR biased against Canon or Nikon, that also confirmed by my personal experience, while you don't own either but very outdated A7r II and complaining its performance I have tested AF-C tracking with EOS R and Z7 but not impressed.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +15 more
Michail71 New Member • Posts: 6

Tim O'Connor wrote:

mfenske wrote:

I'm beginning to think Sony isn't ever going to develop a model with a proper sized grip (more depth) and a body with a tilty/flippy screen so if this has those I'd give it a look.

The A7r4 has a fantastic grip - If you mean a fully articulating screen, then no I doubt they will. Not a fan of them myself.

No doubt the grip is so much better!  But it could still be bigger to help balance out the size of the lenses.  I jumped into Sony on the A73 and had to return it for the A7R4 because the grip and controls were so bad.

The times so far I've wanted an articulating screen have been when working with wild life so I can shoot facing away.  Animals get nervous when you face them head on.  It's generally viewed as an aggressive move in the animal kingdom.

DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 3,685

Michail71 wrote:

Tim O'Connor wrote:

mfenske wrote:

I'm beginning to think Sony isn't ever going to develop a model with a proper sized grip (more depth) and a body with a tilty/flippy screen so if this has those I'd give it a look.

The A7r4 has a fantastic grip - If you mean a fully articulating screen, then no I doubt they will. Not a fan of them myself.

No doubt the grip is so much better! But it could still be bigger to help balance out the size of the lenses. I jumped into Sony on the A73 and had to return it for the A7R4 because the grip and controls were so bad.

Absolute nonsense.

The times so far I've wanted an articulating screen have been when working with wild life so I can shoot facing away. Animals get nervous when you face them head on. It's generally viewed as an aggressive move in the animal kingdom.

Hey look everyone, it's Doctor Dolittle 😂

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +7 more
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,670

Michail71 wrote:

Tim O'Connor wrote:

mfenske wrote:

No doubt the grip is so much better! But it could still be bigger to help balance out the size of the lenses. I jumped into Sony on the A73 and had to return it for the A7R4 because the grip and controls were so bad.

The times so far I've wanted an articulating screen have been when working with wild life so I can shoot facing away. Animals get nervous when you face them head on. It's generally viewed as an aggressive move in the animal kingdom.

Or just using Imaging Mobile Remote to compose on your phone with the camera wherever you want it. Under your arm. On a tripod. Whatever.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +26 more
DtBB
DtBB Regular Member • Posts: 338
Talk about GULLIBLE

The Davinator wrote:

This announcement from Canon has sure triggered some Sony users to go on uber defensive mode.

LOOOOL!!!

And Canon fans are already doing LAP ROUNDS cos of a webzone cam announcement. Any news MUST be good news right? RIGHT?!

Don't worry buddy I am SURE Canon will deliver the goods EXACTLY like it did with the RP.

Let's WAIT and SEE when the product is reviewed and tested. LOL!!!!

DtBB's gear list:DtBB's gear list
Sony a7R IV
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 15,578

PWPhotography wrote:

tqlla wrote:

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

A real technology competition.

• new developed (40 MP ??) sensor - maybe higher DR and less noise?
  • PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting
  • higher end video features

I am happy for the Canon fans we'll have finally the first interesting MILC form competition for the Sony A7R IV and A9 II

I know - there will be lots of sentiment and personal view - i view it as good competition and finally a statement to take MILCs seriously.

Personally I won't switch back to Canon - too late and too little. Now the important question: What will be the price?

What do you guys think?

I can still switch. All I have is a Batis 85mm and adapted lenses. Sonys weak support for the A-mount lenses, means I have little incentive to stay.

What I would be interested in is, how good is the AF, and how bad is the banding/distortion looks using the silent shutter.

We all have different situations. I moved from Canon FF DSLRs, no any Sony A-mount history.

1. I found no reason to switch back if all spec of this R5 is true and work fine.
  2. Still don't know if Canon captures up DR that is a huge part?
  3. Still don't know how its AF-C tracking work? Until now, not as good as A7r-series, no mention A9-series.
  4. I have all lenses needed from Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Voigtlander, Zeiss. I don't have much desire for those super-fast f1.2 portrait lenses or gimmick 28-70/2.0 zoom. There are no Sigma Art, Tamron, Voigtlander and Loxia lenses on RF mount yet.
  5. I don't shoot video so far, and in tradition Sony is a leader in video not Canon.

8k will be about extracting decisive moment photos

But competition is great that will push Sony returns to innovation again. I could imagine will replace current A7r III and A9 with future A9 III or future A7r V to team with A7r IV in next two years

didn't you just get 1dx mark iii ?

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS RP +12 more

The Davinator wrote:

Well, this is the first Canon mirrorless to really gain some attention. Looks like it could be a superb camera

yep, attention though means they are worried

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS RP +12 more

MAC wrote:

yep, attention though means they are worried

I have nothing to worry about but only a good news (plus forthcoming Nikon latest Z model) that will push up Sony innovation again as it has been sitting comfortably on the laurel crown several years.   The funny thing is that a few so passionately for Canon don't even own Canon and certainly will not buy this R5, they hail whatever as long as not Sony

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +15 more

MAC wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

tqlla wrote:

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

• PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting

I am happy for the Canon fans we'll have finally the first interesting MILC form competition for the Sony A7R IV and A9 II

I know - there will be lots of sentiment and personal view - i view it as good competition and finally a statement to take MILCs seriously.

Personally I won't switch back to Canon - too late and too little. Now the important question: What will be the price?

What do you guys think?

I can still switch. All I have is a Batis 85mm and adapted lenses. Sonys weak support for the A-mount lenses, means I have little incentive to stay.

What I would be interested in is, how good is the AF, and how bad is the banding/distortion looks using the silent shutter.

We all have different situations. I moved from Canon FF DSLRs, no any Sony A-mount history.

1. I found no reason to switch back if all spec of this R5 is true and work fine.
  3. Still don't know how its AF-C tracking work? Until now, not as good as A7r-series, no mention A9-series.
  4. I have all lenses needed from Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Voigtlander, Zeiss. I don't have much desire for those super-fast f1.2 portrait lenses or gimmick 28-70/2.0 zoom. There are no Sigma Art, Tamron, Voigtlander and Loxia lenses on RF mount yet.
  5. I don't shoot video so far, and in tradition Sony is a leader in video not Canon.

Let's wait and see, until then just tons of hype.

But competition is great that will push Sony returns to innovation again. I could imagine will replace current A7r III and A9 with future A9 III or future A7r V to team with A7r IV in next two years

LOL, you are kidding I buried my Canon cameras in sand years ago, there is no return path to outdated DSLRs.  I have carried A9 into even several landscape orientated trips as 2nd or even 3rd camera.  Could not imagine any Canikon owners would bring their 1Dx II or D5 in similar way.

PWPhotography wrote:

MAC wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

tqlla wrote:

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

• PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting

What do you guys think?

the sleeping giant has awoken - RF glass is world class - I have the RF 24-105 L - and it sounds like they have the R5 to make them sing

LOL, you are kidding I buried my Canon cameras in sand years ago, there is no return path to outdated DSLRs. I have carried A9 into even several landscape orientated trips as 2nd or even 3rd camera. Could not imagine any Canikon owners would bring their 1Dx II or D5 in similar way.

MAC wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

MAC wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

tqlla wrote:

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

• PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting

What do you guys think?

the sleeping giant has awoken - RF glass is world class - I have the RF 24-105 L - and it sounds like they have the R5 to make them sing

Let's wait to see if Canon can capture up DR in the new sensor and its DPAF can match Sony AI-based real-time AF-C in A9/II and A7r IV?  I'd not hold breath.

Since I replaced original EF 24-105L IS with EF 24-70L/2.8 II years ago, I never return to super zoom. I have Tamron FE 28-75/2.8 that is one-stop faster but lighter/smaller and I don't miss 24mm FL at all as I also carry terrific FE 16-35/2.8 GM. The new Sigma FE 24-70/2.8 Art seems wonderful. Sony, Sigma, Zeiss, Voigtlander (CV) and Tamron lenses are also excellent. You can check what FE lenses I have collected and many don't have RF counterparts yet. Sony 135/1.8 GM blows EF 135L out of water for example. Sigma FE 35/1.2 Art is world class also and believe Sigma (and Sony as well) is working on 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 Art lenses. Personally f1.4 lenses are more than enough to me. But I have fast MF lenses such as CV 21/1.4, CV 40/1.2 Nokton, Loxia 85 that have characters better than those EF and RF lenses while still in relative small/light format.

Plus native long lenses, FE 100-400 GM and FE 200-600G while waiting FE 500/40 GM. The rumored RF 100-500/4.5-7.1 although likely will be small/lighter but so slow at 500mm side @ F7.1 that is deal breaker to many especially with TCs. I have carried FE 100-400 GM into bunch of trips and used as even landscape lens which is much lighter than EF 100-400L IS II that I owned briefly.

LOL, you are kidding I buried my Canon cameras in sand years ago, there is no return path to outdated DSLRs. I have carried A9 into even several landscape orientated trips as 2nd or even 3rd camera. Could not imagine any Canikon owners would bring their 1Dx II or D5 in similar way.

dgumshu
dgumshu Veteran Member • Posts: 4,461

PWPhotography wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Tim O'Connor wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

I will be switching for sure, I just wanted an Eos R with ibis, so this one is even too much for me. Let’s see how The R6 is, or I will just wait one year for the price to go a bit down and more lenses (let’s see if samyang releases my 85 1.4 for the RF mount) come to the system.

*joke alert* *joke alert*

But who will complain about Sony skin tones when you move to the EOSR forum? We have lost GrapeJam already...:)

On a more serious note I cant see any third party AF lenses coming out for a long time - but who knows?

The temporary workaround for third parties is to make the lenses look like adapted EF glass. They will lose HSD and probably the more intricate IS + IBIS functionality but outside of that they get everything. Native grade video AF and very usable continuous shooting AF- a huge contrast from adapting on most Sony bodies. It's really nice to be able to grab a ~$700 2.8 tele zoom and actually track action with it.

Try to adapt any Canon super-tele lenses on EOS R

How well, in static AF-S? How many Canon sport PJs shooting adapted long lenses on EOS R? Zero, basically. FE 70-200 GM on A7r IV or A9 beat your set out of water in AF-C tracking.

Thats why I’ve been waiting for this new R5... better performance.  Enough speed and resolution for cropping wildlife shots with a reasonable and workable file size.  Not too large.  I’m seeing it as a mirrorless version of the 5DV.  I’m sure it will outperform the 5D IV with respect to just about everything... including focus. It may even share a similar focusing system on the new 1DX 3.  I’m doing just fine with the 5D IV and I’m sure I’ll enjoy the improvements of the R5 or rumored 5D V DSLR... especially 45mp at 12FPS mechanical.

All sounds great, but only time will tell.

Canon is also advertising the R5 as a wildlife body and it will be a welcomed addition to all of my EF super tele lenses... 400, 500 and 600 F4’s.  Seamless integration.

or wait to see R5 and how it works in fast moving subjects in sport and wildlife, good luck Otherwise why Canon even needs to develop 1Dx III?

To give Canon users more choices? The big irony in you bringing up pros is they don't chase specs and newness like you do. There are pros still making money with 1, 2, 3 generation old pro bodies. They go with what works. All the companies know this, which is why their pro cameras don't change much generation to generation. Even Sony didn't mess with the A9 too much.

The same Canon and Nikon stay in their comfortable DSLR formula, 1Dx III and D6.

Many pros still prefer the DSLR formula for sports, that’s why Canon just announced the amazing 1DX lll.  I have no reason to doubt they will not release the 5D V... along with other mirrorless bodies.

Don't think this R5 can compete to 1Dx III, D6 and A9/II, wait and see if it even can compete to A7r IV?

I seriously doubt that Canon wants the R5 to compete with the 1DX lll, especially if it’s just a mirrorless upgrade to the 5D IV.  It certainly won’t have all the bells and whistles and will have a way way smaller buffer... unlike 1000+ of the 1DX lll.

dgumshu's gear list:dgumshu's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R5 +49 more
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,670

The only mention of resolution in the Canon announcement is in regarding to taking "high resolution stills" from 8K video. OK, 8K is 33MP. That's pretty good resolution. Is that what you're expecting as the max resolution of the camera?

Even at 33MP, 20 FPS with electronic shutter for sports use is quite impressive, considering the DPReview impression of the 20MP 1DxIII was: "Our measurements indicate good rolling shutter performance, though it's still no match for the readout speed of Sony's a9 and a9 II sports cameras."

If they can do 8K30 shouldn't they be able to do about 50MP at 20FPS? I just checked B&H and 8K30 cameras are running $6000. Or is this 8K an internal only thing, with the actual recording being only 4K and the full res being the 33MP? Thus you can shoot 4K and extract 8K stills from the "internal" 8K that's being downsampled?

Either Canon throws their brand new DSLR under the bus or they disappoint people who were looking forward to what they seemed to promise with their announcement.

I'm hoping it's the former.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +26 more
joger
OP joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,875
I am surprised by the hardly justified expectations outside the facts

SQLGuy wrote:

The only mention of resolution in the Canon announcement is in regarding to taking "high resolution stills" from 8K video. OK, 8K is 33MP. That's pretty good resolution. Is that what you're expecting as the max resolution of the camera?

See the video and elaboration from Matt and you should know more - I am really surprised by the wild speculations and believe that Canon will do everything better than anybody else - this has not been my experience when I used their gear - Canon was always years behind the technology forefront. That's why I abandoned them.

Even at 33MP, 20 FPS with electronic shutter for sports use is quite impressive, considering the DPReview impression of the 20MP 1DxIII was: "Our measurements indicate good rolling shutter performance, though it's still no match for the readout speed of Sony's a9 and a9 II sports cameras."

10 fps at 60 MP is impressive IMHO - let's see the real world results from Canon's flagship.

Talking about flagship cameras and price

If they can do 8K30 shouldn't they be able to do about 50MP at 20FPS? I just checked B&H and 8K30 cameras are running $6000. Or is this 8K an internal only thing, with the actual recording being only 4K and the full res being the 33MP? Thus you can shoot 4K and extract 8K stills from the "internal" 8K that's being downsampled?

Have a look at Matt's video and his elaboration - I am really surprised that many believe that Canon has found the holy grail in electronics.

I'd be extremely surprised in case they have a much better signal processing and and a stacked sensor with BIS.

That would be a huge leap forward. Hard to believe.

Either Canon throws their brand new DSLR under the bus or they disappoint people who were looking forward to what they seemed to promise with their announcement.

Canon did not state many things people speculate about. The information is very sparse at this point in time. To believe that reality will be the top end of the vague information is a bit frightening to me with respect to mental health and maybe not the intention from Canon.

Their current MILC products are underwhelming to say the least - the new development announcement draws some attention and hopes that we finally see some competition and offerings that have a different twist in feature and functionality. We don't know how much improvement Canon made on the sensor front and whether we'll get 16 or the standard 14 bit read out. Whether we get rolling shutter or not or whether we'll get motion jpeg or 8k30P external or internal with 4.4.4. or 4.2.2. or 4.2.0 . . .

Once again - I find it hard to believe that Canon did all that in one got being one of the most conservative electronics companies in the camera business.

For me it's clear that fan boys defend their brand and let's face it - Canon was at least five years behind Sony with IBIS, BIS, EyeAF, AF tracking, DR . . .

In case they get closer and do some aspects better this would be beneficial for all photographers - I just don't believe this will come true in the way many hope. Nonetheless it is a fresh wind in the MILC environment - very welcome.

Let's be a bit more realistic though.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 4,516

SQLGuy wrote:

According to my friend Google 8K resolution is 7680 × 4320 pixels, which is in 16:9 format. The sensor most likely is in 3:2 format though. 7680 pixels width on a 3:2 sensor would need 5120 pixels in height to give that aspect ratio.
7680 x 5120 = 39 321 600 pixels. So at least around 40 Mpix it has to be.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
42 Megapixels is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
Gone in 20 fps.
You don't have to like my pictures, but it would help: http://www.lattermann.com/gallery

PWPhotography wrote:

MAC wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

MAC wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

tqlla wrote:

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

• PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting

What do you guys think?

Let's wait to see if Canon can capture up DR in the new sensor and its DPAF can match Sony AI-based real-time AF-C in A9/II and A7r IV? I'd not hold breath.

Let's see if Sony takes DPReview's advice and copies Canon/Fuji colors in new bodies.

Since I replaced original EF 24-105L IS with EF 24-70L/2.8 II years ago, I never return to super zoom.

I was never impressed with version 1 or 2 of Canon's 24-105. I am impressed with Canon's RF version - Dustin Abbott says best ever made. Nano focus, 5 stop IS, sharp across the frame and a control ring that I assign to change EC

I have Tamron FE 28-75/2.8 that is one-stop faster but lighter/smaller and I don't miss 24mm FL

ouch - you mention it so I know it hurts not to have 24 mm -- I live at 24 mm

at all as I also carry terrific FE 16-35/2.8 GM.

well instead the canon has the great RF 15-35 IS and the great 2.3 LBS RF 70-200 IS - cutting an entire 1 ILB off of the sony version

the three to carry - RF 15-35 IS, RF 24-105 IS and RF 70-200 IS

The new Sigma FE 24-70/2.8 Art seems wonderful.

Canon does DLO and other lens adjustments in camera with canon lenses - many users like me are taking many photos SOOC

Sony, Sigma, Zeiss, Voigtlander (CV) and Tamron lenses are also excellent. You can check what FE lenses I have collected and many don't have RF counterparts yet. Sony 135/1.8 GM blows EF 135L out of water for example.

look for Canon's RF answer this year - 9 lenses coming out

Sigma FE 35/1.2 Art is world class also and believe Sigma (and Sony as well) is working on 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 Art lenses.

Canon's RF versions are world class

Personally f1.4 lenses are more than enough to me. But I have fast MF lenses such as CV 21/1.4, CV 40/1.2 Nokton, Loxia 85 that have characters better than those EF and RF lenses while still in relative small/light format.

I'm not into manual focus

Plus native long lenses, FE 100-400 GM and FE 200-600G while waiting FE 500/40 GM. The rumored RF 100-500/4.5-7.1 although likely will be small/lighter but so slow at 500mm side @ F7.1 that is deal breaker to many especially with TCs.

but at 400 mm we don't know if it is f5.6

I have carried FE 100-400 GM into bunch of trips and used as even landscape lens which is much lighter than EF 100-400L IS II that I owned briefly.

but if the RF 100-500 is f5.6 at 400mm - isn't that a good thing? The R is -6 EV at f1.4 so -1 EV at f7.1.  You put a 1.4 ext on 100-400 you have f7.8.  We're talking world class RF- L glass - I think it will be great with a 45 mpxl R5

MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 4,640

tqlla wrote:

MILC man wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

tqlla wrote:

MILC man wrote:

tqlla wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

To be fair, to a degree you can't expect Sony to fully support A mount through E mount forever.

When did they ever fully support A-mount to E-mount transition? The MC-11 and Metabones dont have the limitations that the Sony adapters do.

yes, they do have the same limitations as a-mount, since they both emulate laea3 functionality with non-sigma lenses.

The Metabones iv and v can shoot at 10FPS on the A7iii.

only with certain lenses... for the rest, it's "Max 3fps with A7III", read the product page, it's loaded with caveats with the two different modes, it doesn't always emulate native e-mount.

the mc-11 can do 10fps on the a7iii with compatible sigma glass, it's fully compatible.

I am pretty sure the LAEA3 cannot do that.

it can on the a9, and it's every bit as good as the mc-11, if the lens is capable of equal performance.

Yeah, thats pretty shady that Sony only allows the 10FPS with the LA-EA3 to only the A9 series.

it's more shady that Nikon totally abandoned it's own screw-drive lens owners with the z-mount milc bodies, that canon made ef-m incompatible with eos-r, etc.

These are the lenses on Metabones website that are confirmed to do 10FPS AFC on the A7iii/A7riv. Its a pretty big list.

it's ymmv with all lenses on the metabones, especially with the older canon glass, and metabones updates are few and far between these days... it was nearly a year before they released the last update, for example, and there have also been many complaints about the physical fitment of the metabones adapters, including metal shavings from the mount floating around, where they can fall into the camera body.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,359

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

• PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting

I am happy for the Canon fans we'll have finally the first interesting MILC form competition for the Sony A7R IV

no, my guess is the R5s is yet to with high pixel count

and A9 II

no, this isn’t a sports model. That will be the R1 next year

I know - there will be lots of sentiment and personal view - i view it as good competition and finally

dgumshu
dgumshu Veteran Member • Posts: 4,461

SQLGuy wrote:

All the talk is 40-45mp.  We’re still waiting for the full specs.  I’m not interested in video, only stills.

dgumshu's gear list:dgumshu's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R5 +49 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads