Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

Started Feb 13, 2020 | Discussions
ISO 1 Million Contributing Member • Posts: 621
Re: Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

whumber wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

A real technology competition.

• new developed (40 MP ??) sensor - maybe higher DR and less noise?
  • PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting
  • higher end video features

I am happy for the Canon fans we'll have finally the first interesting MILC form competition for the Sony A7R IV and A9 II

I know - there will be lots of sentiment and personal view - i view it as good competition and finally a statement to take MILCs seriously.

Personally I won't switch back to Canon - too late and too little. Now the important question: What will be the price?

What do you guys think?

Personally, I think the new Oly EM1 mk3 is a far more interesting device. Full of innovative and useful new tech.

Is there anything new in the E-M1iii? Even the new processor appears to just be a higher clockspeed version of the previous processor.

Nope.  I have no clue why Fewster thinks the EM1iii is far more interesting when even die hard Olympus and M43 fans are disappointed in it.  Same 5 to 6 year old sensor with poor DR and poor high ISO performance, same poor battery life, same low res EVF, same single UHSII slot with the backup being UHS1 only, same body, and probably a lot of other identical and not improved features from the mark ii.  Just hop over to the M43 forum and you'll see plenty of disappointment.  What the heck is so interesting about it?

The Canon on the other hand is definitely interesting.  We don't know the resolution or just how good the AF is for tracking but the inclusion of IBIS, dual card slots, possibly 20 fps with full AE/AF, and finally a proper body with a joystick coupled with the stellar RF lenses makes the R5 very interesting.

ISO 1 Million's gear list:ISO 1 Million's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a9 Sony a7R III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,758

joger wrote:

noggin2k1 wrote:

I have to say, if Canon haven't done their typical cripple job on the R5, it may well have my business.

The key points I want to see are; DR and high ISO performance, AF, silent shutter performance.

Just out of curiosity - which native RF lenses would you purchase - I don't find a single lens I am longing for - well - maybe the RF 50 f/1.2 due to the creamy Bokeh while being just acceptable with 1 kg - already over the top for my taste but interesting nonetheless.

When I switched from Nikon to Canon it was because of the lenses - and my switch to Sony was because of the lenses and the smaller and lighter form factor.

Sony offers some of the best ever built lenses with a good balance between size, weight and performance and all (top notch lenses) include an aperture ring.

( adapting lenses would be no option for me at any system )

The 50/1.2 for the reasons you've mentioned, and likewise the 85/1.2. For the 85, it does look a lot sharper wide open than the 85GM. I'd imagine there's also a blockbuster 24 & 35 on the way too.

The zooms are also very attractive to me. I was never a fan of the 70-200GM, always thought it was poor on the long end, and the build quality was poor - compounded by lensrentals teardown. Their subsequent teardowns of the RF glass would give me a lot more comfort in build quality.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Leica Q2 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +4 more
TRIODEROB
TRIODEROB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,553

you guys crack me up - they say that the Rats are first to abandon a sinking ship

all Canon had to do is announce a camera that's more advanced than anything Sony is offing now and you are gone …………………..

Zacarias Forum Member • Posts: 64
I guess it took a financial pounding...

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

• PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting

I am happy for the Canon fans we'll have finally the first interesting MILC form competition for the Sony A7R IV and A9 II

I know - there will be lots of sentiment and personal view - i view it as good competition and finally a statement to take MILCs seriously.

Personally I won't switch back to Canon - too late and too little. Now the important question: What will be the price?

What do you guys think?

...for Canon to wake up. The R5 specs look very, very good! Didn't we all want to see a higher resolution A9II at 20 FPS Silent? Did Canon beat Sony to it? Sure seems that way on paper anyway.

Hoping Canon was also able to improve their current lackluster DR/ISO with their new sensor built for the R5 too.

The R5 is the first Canon camera ever to catch my eye so far.

TRIODEROB

ISO 1 Million wrote:

whumber wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

• PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting

What do you guys think?

Personally, I think the new Oly EM1 mk3 is a far more interesting device. Full of innovative and useful new tech.

Is there anything new in the E-M1iii? Even the new processor appears to just be a higher clockspeed version of the previous processor.

Nope. I have no clue why Fewster thinks the EM1iii is far more interesting when even die hard Olympus and M43 fans are disappointed in it. Same 5 to 6 year old sensor with poor DR and poor high ISO performance, same poor battery life, same low res EVF, same single UHSII slot with the backup being UHS1 only, same body, and probably a lot of other identical and not improved features from the mark ii. Just hop over to the M43 forum and you'll see plenty of disappointment. What the heck is so interesting about it?

The Canon on the other hand is definitely interesting. We don't know the resolution or just how good the AF is for tracking but the inclusion of IBIS, dual card slots, possibly 20 fps with full AE/AF, and finally a proper body with a joystick coupled with the stellar RF lenses makes the R5 very interesting.

and yet they can take images like this - be sure to pixel peep hi-res version

not too bad for a tiny sensor with crappy dynamic range and bad iso

whumber
whumber Veteran Member • Posts: 3,607

TRIODEROB wrote:

ISO 1 Million wrote:

whumber wrote:

Nope. I have no clue why Fewster thinks the EM1iii is far more interesting when even die hard Olympus and M43 fans are disappointed in it. Same 5 to 6 year old sensor with poor DR and poor high ISO performance, same poor battery life, same low res EVF, same single UHSII slot with the backup being UHS1 only, same body, and probably a lot of other identical and not improved features from the mark ii. Just hop over to the M43 forum and you'll see plenty of disappointment. What the heck is so interesting about it?

The Canon on the other hand is definitely interesting. We don't know the resolution or just how good the AF is for tracking but the inclusion of IBIS, dual card slots, possibly 20 fps with full AE/AF, and finally a proper body with a joystick coupled with the stellar RF lenses makes the R5 very interesting.

The G9 can certainly take very nice images...but I really don't think this example you posted is a good example of that. This looks like a SOOC JPEG, most of the fine detail has been washed out from overly heavy NR and the highlight rolloff near the window is handled very poorly.

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +9 more
Tristimulus Veteran Member • Posts: 7,883

TRIODEROB wrote:

you guys crack me up - they say that the Rats are first to abandon a sinking ship

Never seen a rat with a camera...

all Canon had to do is announce a camera that's more advanced than anything Sony is offing now and you are gone …………………..

Announce - yes - but where is the camera?

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,113

TRIODEROB wrote:

I agree that its just specs on paper and I would need to see how it performs.

But I dont see any reason to be loyal to E-mount, when Sony has put hurdles in the way of switching(3FPS, CDAF only video, locked focus modes and areas). If Sony doesnt want A-mount users as an E-mount customers, then why should we have any loyalty to them?

The LA-EA3($180) performs worse than the Sigma MC-11, and the LA-EA4($300) is using AF from 2010. On the other hand Canon has native like performance with their adapter, and their adapter($99) is usually included free.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN
TRIODEROB

whumber wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

ISO 1 Million wrote:

whumber wrote:

The G9 can certainly take very nice images...but I really don't think this example you posted is a good example of that. This looks like a SOOC JPEG, most of the fine detail has been washed out from overly heavy NR and the highlight rolloff near the window is handled very poorly.

true- but it was literally my first try at hi-rez mode with a 4/3 while eating seafood.

next time it will be edited raw using capture one

anyway back to the original topic ……….what where we saying ???

whumber

TRIODEROB wrote:

whumber wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

true- but it was literally my first try at hi-rez mode with a 4/3 while eating seafood.

next time it will be edited raw using capture one

anyway back to the original topic ……….what where we saying ???

I believe the only question of any importance is...how was the seafood?

Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +9 more
TRIODEROB

it was wonderful - I had the Paella with saffron rice

joger
OP joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,866
reality check

Zacarias wrote:

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

• PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting

What do you guys think?

...for Canon to wake up. The R5 specs look very, very good! Didn't we all want to see a higher resolution A9II at 20 FPS Silent?

no - I never wanted more than 10 FPS for 60 MP

I might want 8k60P though in filming - which should be two completely different animals in terms of sensor requirement.

Just to remind you 8k means 7680x4320 => 33 MPat best case 60 FPS - no need for a traditional camera setup any more

( just grab a film and cut out the images you like )

Did Canon beat Sony to it? Sure seems that way on paper anyway.

we only have very sparse information to say the least - let alone real world results.

Hoping Canon was also able to improve their current lackluster DR/ISO with their new sensor built for the R5 too.

I doubt that - given the history from Canon

Agreed - that’s my sentiment as well.

I am surprised by the switching discussion.

There are so many things I disliked at Canon and Nikon and I don’t sense any change in their behavior to date.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
baggy1 Regular Member • Posts: 291

The big selling point for anyone earning money from photography when it comes to Canon mirrorless is their RF 70-200mm 2.8. Many have to carry that lens around all day, for some wedding photographers, or shooting events, press work, red carpet stuff, papping celebs. It's a huge carrot to dangle. Throw in a top specced R5 and the system as a whole looks very tasty.

RH McCaslan Regular Member • Posts: 125
Could it be the A9II We Wanted?

Zacarias wrote:

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

• PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting

What do you guys think?

...for Canon to wake up. The R5 specs look very, very good! Didn't we all want to see a higher resolution A9II at 20 FPS Silent? Did Canon beat Sony to it? Sure seems that way on paper anyway.

I was definitely someone who wanted a higher resolution A9II.   Not so much for the 20fps but for the no-blackout continuous shooting.  Canon isn't--as far as I know--bragging about no-blackout, and we do need to see how well the sensor and AF perform.

But if the DR is close to Sony, and AF is good, that 12fps mechanical is awfully enticing.  The announce 100-500mm f/7.1 zoom is a bit disappointing--I'd rather a shorter zoom range and constant f/5.6 like the Nikon--but hopefully they have a couple of new (affordable) DO primes waiting in the wings.  If so, I may return to Canon.

noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,758

TRIODEROB wrote:

"Upon purchasing this Sony camera, you are hereby banned from purchasing any other brand of photographic equipment for the foreseeable future"

Where does it state that when buying my kit? I'm about to change my car - am I also obliged to stay with my current cars manufacturer?

Unfortunately you're all that's wrong with forums; nothing more than an emotional attachment to brands, and offensive to others when embracing the wonderful world of photography outside of your preferred brand.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Leica Q2 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +4 more
whumber

TRIODEROB wrote:

it was wonderful - I had the Paella with saffron rice

The thought of saffron and seafood immediately makes me want to have bouillabaisse. 

PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,874

noggin2k1 wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

"Upon purchasing this Sony camera, you are hereby banned from purchasing any other brand of photographic equipment for the foreseeable future"

Where does it state that when buying my kit? I'm about to change my car - am I also obliged to stay with my current cars manufacturer?

Unfortunately you're all that's wrong with forums; nothing more than an emotional attachment to brands, and offensive to others when embracing the wonderful world of photography outside of your preferred brand.

Sony simply will not stand still but will keep moving forward. Now Sony will speed up, thanks for competition.

Sony will release A7s III and likely A7 IV sometime this year. Sony is developing A9 III and A7r V. Sony is going to release remaining super-tele FE lenses. Sony (also Sigma) likely is also working on f1.2 portrait lenses (I don't desire however as f1.4 is fast enough to me).

Nothing to worry about. Competition only benefits everyone. Personally I have zero reason to switch back to Canon, at least in foreseen future after all these investment.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +15 more
PAntunes Contributing Member • Posts: 852

TRIODEROB wrote:

More advanced? Where? 
8K video that no one knows if it's really 8K video? 
The rest is old tech. 40mp instead of the 60mp sony offers, dual card slots, AF joystick, IBIS? 
I don't get the excitement for this camera. This is a lower spec A7RIV.

sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,608

Tim O'Connor wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

I will be switching for sure, I just wanted an Eos R with ibis, so this one is even too much for me. Let’s see how The R6 is, or I will just wait one year for the price to go a bit down and more lenses (let’s see if samyang releases my 85 1.4 for the RF mount) come to the system.

*joke alert* *joke alert*

But who will complain about Sony skin tones when you move to the EOSR forum? We have lost GrapeJam already...:)

On a more serious note I cant see any third party AF lenses coming out for a long time - but who knows?

The temporary workaround for third parties is to make the lenses look like adapted EF glass. They will lose HSD and probably the more intricate IS + IBIS functionality but outside of that they get everything. Native grade video AF and very usable continuous shooting AF- a huge contrast from adapting on most Sony bodies. It's really nice to be able to grab a ~$700 2.8 tele zoom and actually track action with it.

The more interesting camera to me is the R6- basically looks like a real answer to the A7III based on the rumors. I just got my R and am happy with it though so no big rush.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,608

Peter Foiles wrote:

The key points here are “development “ and “sometime this year” This camera will likely not hit store shelves before fall which I believe is 2 years after the Z7. Development announcements are what companies do to stop the bleeding to competitor products. I am sure this will be a perfectly fine camera and will likely at least slow the bleeding but I am not sure it will cause much bleeding for Sony or Nikon.

I'm not following. Do you think people are going to stop buying Sony/Nikon bodies this fall?

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads