Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

Started Feb 13, 2020 | Discussions
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,873
Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

So we finally have it .

A real technology competition.

• new developed (40 MP ??) sensor - maybe higher DR and less noise?
  • PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting
  • higher end video features

I am happy for the Canon fans we'll have finally the first interesting MILC form competition for the Sony A7R IV and A9 II

I know - there will be lots of sentiment and personal view - i view it as good competition and finally a statement to take MILCs seriously.

Personally I won't switch back to Canon - too late and too little. Now the important question: What will be the price?

What do you guys think?

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
Ricoh Caplio R5 Sony a7R Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 3,685
Re: Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

Yeah competition is good.

I have been very impressed with Canon's RF glass, hopefully this new camera will be as good.

I won't be switching either, unless there's a significant reason to do so.

I'm not brand loyal, I'm model loyal.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +7 more
coudet Veteran Member • Posts: 4,141

joger wrote:

Or not?

For 1Dx3 Canon said "incredible low-light shooting capabilities". For R5, there is no mention of any dynamic range base ISO or high ISO improvements in the announcement. No mention whatsoever of any IQ improvement. Not much detail on anything, really.

Now the important question: What will be the price?

High. No reason not to.

Tim O'Connor
Tim O'Connor Veteran Member • Posts: 5,641
details are a bit scant.

The very best outcome for Sony shooters is kick butt competition.  I am still sceptical about 8k - but I don't care about video anyway.

The 20 FPS is probably with locked AF - hopefully not.

-- hide signature --
 Tim O'Connor's gear list:Tim O'Connor's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D500 Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +11 more
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,341

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

• PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting

I am happy for the Canon fans we'll have finally the first interesting MILC form competition for the Sony A7R IV and A9 II

I know - there will be lots of sentiment and personal view - i view it as good competition and finally a statement to take MILCs seriously.

Personally I won't switch back to Canon - too late and too little. Now the important question: What will be the price?

What do you guys think?

Personally, I think the new Oly EM1 mk3 is a far more interesting device. Full of innovative and useful new tech.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Tim O'Connor

Mike Fewster wrote:

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

• PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting

What do you guys think?

Personally, I think the new Oly EM1 mk3 is a far more interesting device. Full of innovative and useful new tech.

The EVF is a huge bummer though.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D600 Nikon D500 Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +11 more
juanmaasecas
juanmaasecas Senior Member • Posts: 1,374

I will be switching for sure, I just wanted an Eos R with ibis, so this one is even too much for me. Let’s see how The R6 is, or I will just wait one year for the price to go a bit down and more lenses (let’s see if samyang releases my 85 1.4 for the RF mount) come to the system.

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Tamron 17-35mm F2.8-4 Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +4 more
RE Alpha
RE Alpha Contributing Member • Posts: 812
Re: details are a bit scant.

Tim O'Connor wrote:

The very best outcome for Sony shooters is kick butt competition. I am still sceptical about 8k - but I don't care about video anyway.

Indeed, that might be true: the text says 'up to approximately 20 FPS', so we'll see which limitations are in place and whether they actually get to 20 FPS. The same applies to the speed of the mechanical shutter.

On the 8K it says "capturing 8K footage today allows for even higher-quality 4K productions". Just wondering what it will actually mean.

RE Alpha's gear list:RE Alpha's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a1 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +8 more
Tim O'Connor

coudet wrote:

joger wrote:

Or not?

For 1Dx3 Canon said "incredible low-light shooting capabilities". For R5, there is no mention of any dynamic range base ISO or high ISO improvements in the announcement. No mention whatsoever of any IQ improvement. Not much detail on anything, really.

Now the important question: What will be the price?

High. No reason not to.

The extreme lack of detail is intriguing - building the hype machine I would say - or perhaps they haven't fully determined every aspect of the design.

I am a bit of a brand switcher myself, (Owned Canon, Nikon, Sony) but I cant see myself going back to them - not a fan of the ergonomics or expensive beer keg lenses. (and now we have some cheaper but very slow kit lenses)

Good menu system though.

-- hide signature --
Tim O'Connor
Re: details are a bit scant.

RE Alpha wrote:

Tim O'Connor wrote:

The very best outcome for Sony shooters is kick butt competition. I am still sceptical about 8k - but I don't care about video anyway.

Indeed, that might be true: the text says 'up to approximately 20 FPS', so we'll see which limitations are in place and whether they actually get to 20 FPS. The same applies to the speed of the mechanical shutter.

On the 8K it says "capturing 8K footage today allows for even higher-quality 4K productions". Just wondering what it will actually mean.

When I read that I thought it might be some sort of up-sampling mode?  5K up-sampled to 8K?

-- hide signature --
Tim O'Connor

juanmaasecas wrote:

I will be switching for sure, I just wanted an Eos R with ibis, so this one is even too much for me. Let’s see how The R6 is, or I will just wait one year for the price to go a bit down and more lenses (let’s see if samyang releases my 85 1.4 for the RF mount) come to the system.

*joke alert* *joke alert*

But who will complain about Sony skin tones when you move to the EOSR forum?  We have lost GrapeJam already...:)

On a more serious note I cant see any third party AF lenses coming out for a long time - but who knows?

-- hide signature --
juanmaasecas

Tim O'Connor wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

But who will complain about Sony skin tones when you move to the EOSR forum? We have lost GrapeJam already...:)

On a more serious note I cant see any third party AF lenses coming out for a long time - but who knows?

Hahaha even if I don’t post, the forum will be full threads of people complaining about Sony colors from time to time, don’t worry. And look at the comments in the news of the announcement in this web: a lot of people praising canon colors.

but you guys Sony experts here are all color engineers and don’t have any issue with the colors, I understand 😊

and about third party lenses, samyang has already ported their 14mm af, so I think it’s a matter of time. And Canon will be releasing cheap and good lenses like there are for EF mount. Already available 35 1.8 with is and “macro”, soon the new 24-105 super dark but at 400usd price (this means, when people sell it ouf of their bundle most probably you can get one for 100usd), and I’m sure soon canon will release cheap 50, 85, etc. 
So far I only need an 85 that’s better than the canon 1.8 and not too expensive, as I’ll keep using my Tamron 17-35, my sigma 35 art, my canon 70-200.

Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Tamron 17-35mm F2.8-4 Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +4 more
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 3,212

There is always a good reason to switch back and forth. If you are doing something your camera can’t do that you need then switch.   If that is the mindset you would be switching every year or two

the other is go in to the gear knowing you will lose money on the used market

when I look at the camera as a tool and a bunch of 100$ bills I do my best not to over buy when I do switch.

one if the biggest mistakes I made was buying every lens I had in the old system to duplicate. When I stopped and decided I don’t do this type of photography it helps. Yes I bought the Batis 135 mm used it a few times because I knew I did not use a 70-200 or 70-300 range as much it was ok but I did nit use it that much and sold that lens with my Batis 18 mm and 40 mm last week

i retained two lenses the 24-105 and 200-600 zoom.

joger
OP joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,873

juanmaasecas wrote:

Tim O'Connor wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

But who will complain about Sony skin tones when you move to the EOSR forum? We have lost GrapeJam already...:)

Hahaha even if I don’t post, the forum will be full threads of people complaining about Sony colors from time to time, don’t worry. And look at the comments in the news of the announcement in this web: a lot of people praising canon colors.

but you guys Sony experts here are all color engineers and don’t have any issue with the colors, I understand 😊

and about third party lenses, samyang has already ported their 14mm af, so I think it’s a matter of time. And Canon will be releasing cheap and good lenses like there are for EF mount. Already available 35 1.8 with is and “macro”, soon the new 24-105 super dark but at 400usd price (this means, when people sell it ouf of their bundle most probably you can get one for 100usd), and I’m sure soon canon will release cheap 50, 85, etc.
So far I only need an 85 that’s better than the canon 1.8 and not too expensive, as I’ll keep using my Tamron 17-35, my sigma 35 art, my canon 70-200.

I am sure most know this video - some ignore the results though

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 3,685

joger wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

Tim O'Connor wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

They ignore it like a tattoo on their forehead.

Ignorance is bliss 😏

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +7 more
Sabud Contributing Member • Posts: 655

Former used to Canon 5DM3 but today a A7III owner can sincerely say, I miss the ergonomics and menues so, thank you Canon for this new camera.

juanmaasecas

joger wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

Tim O'Connor wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

I don’t care at all about what other say, I care about my own experience and my eyes 😊

tn1krr Senior Member • Posts: 1,318
Not competition to A9/A9II

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

• PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting

Based on the scant specs it looks like a great camera, but nothing in that spec makes it a competition to A9/A9II, because

- even if it had sensor as fast 1DXIII (1/60secs full sensor readout) it makes the 20 fps mode useless for fast action due to rolling shutter. Having twice the megapixel of 1DX III I'd expect full sensor readout time between 1/40 and 1/50 or so

- due to above it will not have as blackout-free EVF or AF/tracking equal to A9 during burst shooting due to sensor spending way more time on the full sensor readouts

With mechanical shutter this is A7RIV competitor with a bit more fps; we'll gonna have to see about AF, Dynamic Range etc. before we know how these stack between each other stack.

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +5 more
joger
OP joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,873
Re: Not competition to A9/A9II

tn1krr wrote:

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

• PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting

Based on the scant specs it looks like a great camera, but nothing in that spec makes it a competition to A9/A9II, because

- even if it had sensor as fast 1DXIII (1/60secs full sensor readout) it makes the 20 fps mode useless for fast action due to rolling shutter. Having twice the megapixel of 1DX III I'd expect full sensor readout time between 1/40 and 1/50 or so

- due to above it will not have as blackout-free EVF or AF/tracking equal to A9 during burst shooting due to sensor spending way more time on the full sensor readouts

With mechanical shutter this is A7RIV competitor with a bit more fps; we'll gonna have to see about AF, Dynamic Range etc. before we know how these stack between each other stack.

the theoretical maximum dynamic rage is bound to the bit depth. I doubt the Canon 5R will have 16 bit instead 14 bit of all available FF cameras.

In case yea - there is a theoretical chance to beat the A7R III and IV at base ISO.

-- hide signature --

Tim O'Connor
Arg, what have I done. (nt)
-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads