Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 6,471
Re: Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...

Louis_Dobson wrote:

The lizard one seems fine. The cityscape is terrible, and it doesn't seem to be movement. Don't know what happened there.

The lizard is soft , shows the impact of subject movement and of course has significant artifacts

James Stirling wrote:

I would wait for some samples of the HHHR first while it has potential in some areas movement remains an issue the sample shots posted with HHHR from DPreview don't look particularly convincing . The softness from moving parts of the images is quite obvious at least in these shots. Though it could be down to poor technique.

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8475993588/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-iii-sample-gallery/3110799027

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8475993588/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-iii-sample-gallery/3357559729

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8475993588/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-iii-sample-gallery/8804843261

https://1.img-dpreview.com/files/p/sample_galleries/8475993588/8804843261.jpg

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is not reason which is the guide of life, but custom. David Hume

 James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +10 more
Aucupium Regular Member • Posts: 243
Re: Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...
2

I bought my first SLR back in 1972.

Compared to that that this new Olympus is a modern marvel - as is my Mk ii. Lets be thankful for the quality photographs it allows us to take - and not always looking over others shoulders. We need to encourage new users - not put them off.

The E-M1 mk iii is a part of a continual improvement. Lets wait and see what software changes come in 2 years that the new processor will allow. That after all is where phones are leading the way.

May be we will get an E-M2 at some point!

Andrew

ps can anyone well me the time taken to take the 16 photos in a high res shot?

 Aucupium's gear list:Aucupium's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +4 more
SkiHound Veteran Member • Posts: 3,803
Re: Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...
2

There's always a feeding frenzy on the DPReview forums after every camera release. The comments on almost every new camera release and review are largely hilarious (sometimes pretty sad). The E-M1ii is a terrific camera and the M1iii provides many refinements. I have no doubt it'll be a great photographic tool. And if it brings features that meet YOUR needs, that's really the only thing that should count. Things like hand held high resolution are pretty significant. As are things like the improvements in IBIS, which was already remarkable. I'm certainly a camera designer or engineer, but I suspect that innovations in camera design will be pretty incremental. At least until some radically different sensor technology becomes available. Folks on these forums forget that people were making terrific photos with 6mp cameras like the Nikon D40. It made lovely images. It's totally eclipsed by current technology. But if you gave a hack the best camera in the world, and a person with a really good eye the D40, I'd bet on the later to come back with the images that would be interesting. If it meets your needs, ignore all the noise permeating most forums and youtube videos.

929406 Regular Member • Posts: 284
Re: Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...

Aucupium wrote:

ps can anyone well me the time taken to take the 16 photos in a high res shot?

I estimate HHHR around 1 sec and Tripod HR around double that

 929406's gear list:929406's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6400 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +19 more
cpt kent Contributing Member • Posts: 522
Re: Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...

Reception for the D6 isn’t that friendly either.

Folks need to realize that life isn’t linear. We didn’t have digital, there was a boom, it tapered off. We can’t keep expecting the same progression. We make get it, but we shouldn’t expect it.

brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,287
Re: Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...
2

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I wanted hand held high res, virtual ND, a joystick for focus points, and better integration with FT (not MFT) lenses, eye detection on or off on a button.

Score!

Yeah.  The MK III looks like a nice update to me, even though not earthshaking.  I think it's fine for camera companies to release incremental updates.  Hopefully some big advances are yet to come, but the pace seems to be slowing a bit.  Incremental updates are better than none at all.

If I recall correctly, the MK II was released at $2,000 USD, so this release price is more appealing than that.  I just have to wonder whether it is worth 50% more than the G9 at its current price (or if you need the E-M1 for FT lenses, whether it's worth several hundred more than the MK II).  I'm sure for some it will be, so it's good they have that choice.

-- hide signature --

Brent

 brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +16 more
SkiHound Veteran Member • Posts: 3,803
Re: Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...
3

There was so much change in both features and sensors when digital first hit the market. Sensor development was progressing fast and each new camera bright improvements in resolution and noise. Somewhere I read that with current technology there's not much more efficiency to extract. Perhaps someday we'll see an organic sensor or something that has a much higher signal to noise ratio. But that's been rumored to be right around the corner for years. I suspect there's just not much headroom for that these days. If a camera shoots 20 fps, 24 doesn't seem like much. If a camera provides 5 stops of IBIS, 6 stops doesn't seem like a dramatic change. I do think that introducing a distinctly new sensor is good marketing. It at least makes people think there will be significant improvements to IQ, even if tangible differences are largely mute. I just think that changes in bodies are pretty incremental at this point in the evolution of digital cameras. And folks, especially those reading DPR, expect dramatic change with each generation.

LightCameraAction Regular Member • Posts: 264
Re: Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...
4

It seems as if the em1 mkii will be one of the most advanced interchangeable lens cameras out there (features and software at least). The IBIS is better than the competition, hand held high resolution, etc.

The only problem is that people seem to magically want full frame sensor performance in a micro 4/3 body (or want one of the most advanced in interchangeable lens cameras for ~$1,000...the price of a mid-range camera).

There are many micro 4/3 cameras available at lower cost (EM5 mkiii, EM1 mkii, etc.). There are also mid-level full frame camera available for ~2,000 (Nikon Z6). Anyone can purchase what they need.

Aucupium Regular Member • Posts: 243
Re: Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...

929406 wrote:

Aucupium wrote:

ps can anyone well me the time taken to take the 16 photos in a high res shot?

I estimate HHHR around 1 sec and Tripod HR around double that

Thanks - interesting.

 Aucupium's gear list:Aucupium's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +4 more
Rmark
Rmark Contributing Member • Posts: 987
Re: Ironically it is a WIN - WIN situation.

LOL, for me that will make the MIII perfect, discounted Em1 II

 Rmark's gear list:Rmark's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +4 more
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 21,034
First of all...
4

Louis, it's so damned good seeing you again. Remembering the ole' days on the Olympus talk forum (back in the good ole' regular 4/3 days), many of your posts were hilarious, yet interesting at the same time. And to this date, I still chuckle when I think about that one photo you posted over a decade ago where you're in a pub (or something like that), and you managed to take a dozen or so photos where you're standing in different spots - binding them all together resulting an image that had close to a dozen of you - haaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Back to the E-M Mk III, regardless of what camera is released, people will b-i-t-c-h and moan ad nauseum about certain features that may be lacking (to them. Of course, this gives the impression that there's not a lot of interest in the camera - but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Lots of folks - mostly current M43 users - will eventually find a way to gravitate to this model. I see this behavior on all the forums to be sure. Now I must admit that in recent years, I've been gradually shifting my attention away from M43 although I still use a variety of their cameras (E-M5, E-P5, E-M10 II, and the Pen F). My main focus (squeeze) is now Fuji and although I'm extremely satisfied with all of my Fuji X series cameras, there are those who will moan and berate the system on the Fuji forums. Yet interestingly enough, a few months later, whoa and behold, the same moaners wind up purchasing the cameras in question and begin singing their praises - now go figure.

For me, I'd love to get an updated E-M1 Mk II - but being fully retired and now on a limited income, my GAS doesn't translate well into reality, and that $1799 price tag is beyond my reach for now.

 Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS M Olympus OM-D E-M5 Samsung NX500 +17 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,374
Totally Agree
1

I have seen all this whining when the E-M1 Mkii was released yet now that it is at its end of its 3 years of being released the E-M1 Mkii is a much beloved camera.  I expect it will be the same way with its replacement.

Great to see you posting.  I always enjoyed your posts.

 DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
epozar Senior Member • Posts: 1,124
Re: Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...
1

Wrong.

That was E-M5iii

-- hide signature --
 epozar's gear list:epozar's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +8 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,374
Re: Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...
1

I will expect the E-M1 Mkii will be out of stock in a few months.  The G-9 will be getting its replacement by the end of the year and the G-9 will soon after be out of stock.  Both the G-9 and the E-M1 Mkii are great buys now.

 DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
mring1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,310
Psssst.....Ben......
2

(in whispered voice)  buy a gently used M1 Mk II.  $900 bucks!!  Screaming deal.  And everyone outside the m4/3s ecosystem loves it as a small (yeah, seriously) camera!

Don't tell anyone I told you...

 mring1's gear list:mring1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Louis_Dobson
OP Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,536
Re: Where have you been? :-)

Yeah for a full body shot it's actually still a bit slow

Harold66 wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

f1.4 makes more sense for the 25 (50), and personally I think f2 is quite enough for a 12 (24)

I agree

, but I think you want a 45 (90) to be as fast as possible.

I know a majority would agree with you there but I do not. at normal distance a f1.2 portrait provides one of those eyes sharp but ears blurred kind of pics . Not to mention the quality at f1.2 which is average at best

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

 Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Louis_Dobson
OP Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,536
Re: First of all...

Aye, those were the days!  I see you still have a shelf load of cameras then
I skipped the E-M2 ii,  it didn't do anything, for me, that my Mk1  didn't do.  But the three has the things I need.  Different features will be big deals to different people...

Ben Herrmann wrote:

Louis, it's so damned good seeing you again. Remembering the ole' days on the Olympus talk forum (back in the good ole' regular 4/3 days), many of your posts were hilarious, yet interesting at the same time. And to this date, I still chuckle when I think about that one photo you posted over a decade ago where you're in a pub (or something like that), and you managed to take a dozen or so photos where you're standing in different spots - binding them all together resulting an image that had close to a dozen of you - haaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Back to the E-M Mk III, regardless of what camera is released, people will b-i-t-c-h and moan ad nauseum about certain features that may be lacking (to them. Of course, this gives the impression that there's not a lot of interest in the camera - but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Lots of folks - mostly current M43 users - will eventually find a way to gravitate to this model. I see this behavior on all the forums to be sure. Now I must admit that in recent years, I've been gradually shifting my attention away from M43 although I still use a variety of their cameras (E-M5, E-P5, E-M10 II, and the Pen F). My main focus (squeeze) is now Fuji and although I'm extremely satisfied with all of my Fuji X series cameras, there are those who will moan and berate the system on the Fuji forums. Yet interestingly enough, a few months later, whoa and behold, the same moaners wind up purchasing the cameras in question and begin singing their praises - now go figure.

For me, I'd love to get an updated E-M1 Mk II - but being fully retired and now on a limited income, my GAS doesn't translate well into reality, and that $1799 price tag is beyond my reach for now.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

 Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,120
Re: Where have you been? :-)

No idea what this means. I assume this is some kind of ironic reply

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

 Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
Louis_Dobson
OP Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,536
Re: Where have you been? :-)
2

No.  I mean if you wish to do a head to toe shot of someone and lose the background then 90mm f2.4, which in EFL terms is what a 45mm f1.2 is equivalent to, is not really fast enough.
I used to use, on FF, a 105mm f2, and that wasn't quite fast enough either.  But it's faster.
I'm not suggesting this is crippling, throw your MFT kit in the bin etc.  But if the choice is 45 f1.4 or 45 f1.2, and the 1.2 is a bit bigger, a bit more expensive, and a bit softer wide open, I'm still going to pick it.
Although actually I use a 75mm f1.8 and stand back.  Here is the entry pupil (effectively the shallowness) of each of the lenses under discussion.
75mm f1.8 42 What I use, not that expensive, but needs space.
45mm f1.4 32 What Harold is suggesting.
45mm f1.2 38 What Oly make and what I would like, but don't need enough to pay for.
45mm f1.8 25 What may of us actually have.  It's fine for head shots.  Also cheap.
105mm f2 53 What I used to use on FF
85mm f1.2 71 The fastest generally available on FF.

Harold66 wrote:

No idea what this means. I assume this is some kind of ironic reply

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

 Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,120
Re: Where have you been? :-)

Louis_Dobson wrote:

No. I mean if you wish to do a head to toe shot of someone and lose the background then 90mm f2.4, which in EFL terms is what a 45mm f1.2 is equivalent to, is not really fast enough.
I used to use, on FF, a 105mm f2, and that wasn't quite fast enough either. But it's faster.
I'm not suggesting this is crippling, throw your MFT kit in the bin etc. But if the choice is 45 f1.4 or 45 f1.2, and the 1.2 is a bit bigger, a bit more expensive, and a bit softer wide open, I'm still going to pick it.
Although actually I use a 75mm f1.8 and stand back. Here is the entry pupil (effectively the shallowness) of each of the lenses under discussion.
75mm f1.8 42 What I use, not that expensive, but needs space.
45mm f1.4 32 What Harold is suggesting.
45mm f1.2 38 What Oly make and what I would like, but don't need enough to pay for.
45mm f1.8 25 What may of us actually have. It's fine for head shots. Also cheap.
105mm f2 53 What I used to use on FF
85mm f1.2 71 The fastest generally available on FF.

Harold66 wrote:

No idea what this means. I assume this is some kind of ironic reply

Thanks for the attempt at an explanation but now I am even more confused than before. What i find extremely confusing is your use of the word fast ‘ an olympus 1.2 / 45 maybe the equivalent of a 2.4/90mm 35mm lens in terms of efl and dof but not in terms of fast . Exposure wise f1.2 never equals f2.4 regardless of the format

maybe you mean something else in terms of fastness but i have no clue to what this post means

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

 Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads