Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 16,473
Re: Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...

as someone who hasn't any Oly cameras at present it has one thing that Oly cameras rarely have.  A sensible launch price.  Still a bit pricey but in 12 months time it will be much closer to £1000 and with the never ending promotions that we have I expect some decent deals before then.  Whether people think it is worth paying considerably more than a G9 probably depends on just how good that HHHR proves to be.

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Andrew Butterfield Senior Member • Posts: 2,557
Re: Where have you been? :-)

Raist3d wrote:

The USP more than IBIS should be size. If I was Olympus besides that nice new zoom, I would re-issue all the smaller primes in weather sealed form.

This would be nice for users. I'd like that certainly. But probably doesn't fit Olympus's market positioning strategy. They want you to buy the 1.2 lenses as much for their weather sealing as their better IQ and wider apertures.

-- hide signature --
 Andrew Butterfield's gear list:Andrew Butterfield's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +6 more
929406 Regular Member • Posts: 284

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

as someone who hasn't any Oly cameras at present it has one thing that Oly cameras rarely have. A sensible launch price. Still a bit pricey but in 12 months time it will be much closer to £1000 and with the never ending promotions that we have I expect some decent deals before then. Whether people think it is worth paying considerably more than a G9 probably depends on just how good that HHHR proves to be.

I do like some of the features of the MK3 and was close to pulling the trigger on the 1X a month ago but decided to hang on to see what features they would bring over to the MK3.  Overall, it was more features than I thought, the EM1.3 is essentially a 1X in a smaller body minus the specialize AF modes.

Trouble is that I am getting pretty much all the said features on my G9 with better video capabilities, bar starry night and bulb mode.  I can do HHHR on the G9 and mode 2 cuts out many of the moving subjects, is is quite incredible.  PDAF is a definite advantage of the MK3 though.

929406's gear list:929406's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6400 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +19 more
Louis_Dobson
OP Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,541

Yeah, I need PDAF.

929406 wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

as someone who hasn't any Oly cameras at present it has one thing that Oly cameras rarely have. A sensible launch price. Still a bit pricey but in 12 months time it will be much closer to £1000 and with the never ending promotions that we have I expect some decent deals before then. Whether people think it is worth paying considerably more than a G9 probably depends on just how good that HHHR proves to be.

I do like some of the features of the MK3 and was close to pulling the trigger on the 1X a month ago but decided to hang on to see what features they would bring over to the MK3. Overall, it was more features than I thought, the EM1.3 is essentially a 1X in a smaller body minus the specialize AF modes.

Trouble is that I am getting pretty much all the said features on my G9 with better video capabilities, bar starry night and bulb mode. I can do HHHR on the G9 and mode 2 cuts out many of the moving subjects, is is quite incredible. PDAF is a definite advantage of the MK3 though.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Louis_Dobson

Running a dog rescue.  I don't really have time for recreational photography any more
Yeah, you have a point there,  that screen and EVF will look very old in three years.

Raist3d wrote:

I have been thinking about the new camera. I think it's ok. I think the main issue is that this is the model we are stuck with for the next 3-4 years... and some parts already look a bit meh.

And Fuji still has to drop their bomb in two weeks.

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +7 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,840

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Means taking the camera from your eye. I dislike touch screens intensely.

He means what Panasonic calls “TouchPad AF”, where you shift the focus point WHILE USING the EVF.

It couldn’t be more intuitive!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +33 more
Trolleyman Regular Member • Posts: 133

jeffharris wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

He means what Panasonic calls “TouchPad AF”, where you shift the focus point WHILE USING the EVF.

It couldn't be more annoying, everytime my nose touches the screen the focus point moves. Disabled it on all three of my Panasonic cameras, in fact one of the first things I do on a new one.

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 40,645

Andrew Butterfield wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

The USP more than IBIS should be size. If I was Olympus besides that nice new zoom, I would re-issue all the smaller primes in weather sealed form.

This would be nice for users. I'd like that certainly. But probably doesn't fit Olympus's market positioning strategy. They want you to buy the 1.2 lenses as much for their weather sealing as their better IQ and wider apertures.

Well the problem with the F1.2 primes is that they are also HUGE and pricey (and they just went up in price). I like the option but they should stay as an option, not as a main drive- since they get into the small proposition.

Imagine that 25mm F1.8 weather sealed on an EM5.3... wouldn't that be cool?

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Running a dog rescue.

That is very nice of you. It must be very fulfilling. I grew up with both dogs and cats that are rescues or from the street, and those animals always develop a special love if the owners are nice.

I don't really have time for recreational photography any more

Well, I hope you can get some dog shots at least! :-). (update: I see now you mentioned it )

Yeah, you have a point there, that screen and EVF will look very old in three years.

You may want to check out further thoughts here

EM1 MKiii - Buying a new camera / upgrading / not

Raist3d wrote:

I have been thinking about the new camera. I think it's ok. I think the main issue is that this is the model we are stuck with for the next 3-4 years... and some parts already look a bit meh.

And Fuji still has to drop their bomb in two weeks.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,840

Trolleyman wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

It couldn't be more annoying, everytime my nose touches the screen the focus point moves. Disabled it on all three of my Panasonic cameras, in fact one of the first things I do on a new one.

That’s too bad. I never had that problem with the GX8, but I tend to tilt the EVF up a bit. The left side EVF probably helps, too.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +33 more
Louis_Dobson

I'm left eyed.
I do this on the GM5.  It's intensely annoying, clunky, and awkward, but the GM5 is a miracle of tinyness so I put up with it.
On a "real' camera I have the touchscreen off and, more often than not, the screen folded in for protection.
I don't like touchscreens.

jeffharris wrote:

Trolleyman wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

That’s too bad. I never had that problem with the GX8, but I tend to tilt the EVF up a bit. The left side EVF probably helps, too.

-- hide signature --

Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,189

Raist3d wrote:

Andrew Butterfield wrote:

The F1.2 primes don't make a good case here.

I know lots may disagree but the F1.2 lenses are never the best option for micro 4/3 cameras. F 1.4 is a MUCH BETTER compromise for the m4/3 sensor

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
Louis_Dobson

f1.4 makes more sense for the 25 (50), and personally I think f2 is quite enough for a 12 (24), but I think you want a 45 (90) to be as fast as possible.

-- hide signature --

Mac Daddy New Member • Posts: 24
Ironically it is a WIN - WIN situation.

Maybe the contracting market has people grumpy?

This is a win- win situation.

If you like the major improvements like the the Hand held HR mode, its a win.

If there is nothing of interest in the new camera, your old one still works and the price of the EM.1 mark ii is going down.   Another win!

mring1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,311
So where to from here?

Fuji has great stuff, and with a new camera to be announced imminently, it will be a compelling line, especially with IBIS.

So, those folks deciding to move from m4/3s to Fuji, or Nikon, or Sony, buy the new body, and then count the cost of a lens lineup they ALSO need to replace.

All I can say is, those folks have a lot more money than me.  If you can do it, more power to you.  For the rest of us, I really think the glass is at least half full.  My m4/3s gear - and it's split between Oly and Pany - is excellent, be it body or glass.  I have confidence in it, since the poor shots that I take are almost NEVER the fault of the gear.  Robin Wong, Trevor Carpenter, Roel Hendrix and a host of other posters show us what you can do with m4/3s.  I have a long way to go to get there, but with practice and persistence I can....with the gear I have.

A better EVF...OLED vs LCD screens....I really don't see my success revolving around that.  Nice?  Yeah.  Necessary?  I guess that's in the eye and mind of the user.

mring1's gear list:mring1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
n3eg
n3eg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,012

Yeah, what else is new.  This is DPR after all.  Even they only gave the E-M5 III an 82%.

I'll guess the E-M1 III gets an 85%, where the FF Panasonic just got a 90% for WHAT???  A huge body and a bigger sensor?

DPR should buy DxO, since they have the same biases.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Kodak Pixpro S-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Kodak DCS Pro 14n Olympus E-M5 III +70 more
Trolleyman Regular Member • Posts: 133

Louis_Dobson wrote:

f1.4 makes more sense for the 25 (50), and personally I think f2 is quite enough for a 12 (24), but I think you want a 45 (90) to be as fast as possible.

Have to disagree about the 12mm, I find the Panasonic f/1.4 version comes in very handy. I had the Olympus 12mm and it wasn't anywhere near as good especially wide open

Sometimes need every little bit of light you can get, for example in dimly lit interiors and astrophotography.

Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,189

Louis_Dobson wrote:

f1.4 makes more sense for the 25 (50), and personally I think f2 is quite enough for a 12 (24)

I agree

, but I think you want a 45 (90) to be as fast as possible.

I know a majority would agree with you there but I do not. at normal distance a f1.2 portrait provides one of those eyes sharp but ears blurred kind of pics . Not to mention the quality at f1.2 which is average at best

Harold

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
Okapi001 Senior Member • Posts: 5,048

Rohith Thumati wrote:

The criticisms of both this camera and the E-M5 III - and it seems the Nikon D6 and D780, for that matter - are pretty much the same: fans waited a lot of years for what seem like incremental changes. Advances just aren’t as significant and noticeable as they used to be, it seems.

Exactly. And that (slow progress) is not exactly a new thing. M1.3 is not an upgrade from M1.2, but from M1.1 or M5.2. And M5.3 is upgrade from M10.2 or 3, not from M5.2.

One should either skip one generation or go one step higher, to get some significant inprovement.

Okapi001's gear list:Okapi001's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +16 more

n3eg wrote:

Yeah, what else is new. This is DPR after all. Even they only gave the E-M5 III an 82%.

I'll guess the E-M1 III gets an 85%, where the FF Panasonic just got a 90% for WHAT??? A huge body and a bigger sensor?

much better video? Better ergonomics and menus?

DPR should buy DxO, since they have the same biases.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads