Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions
Louis_Dobson
Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,514
Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...

I wanted hand held high res, virtual ND, a joystick for focus points, and better integration with FT (not MFT) lenses, eye detection on or off on a button.

Score!

I'm delighted.

I do dog shots as part of my job, and fine art seascapes as a hobby.

Grumbles with previous Olys, too slow to change focus points, eye detection too slow to switch on and off, can't get high res without tripod (which defeats the point of a lightweight system), can't get ND filters on the UWA.

All sorted!

I can mix it with light primes for the dog stuff and general photography, and the waterproof pro FT lenses for seascapes.

Long time since I bought a camera at launch, but here we go...

Grumbles? Can't have virtual ND and HHHR at the same time, but you can't have everything.
Just one thing - it will be batch made, so if no one likes it the price could drop quite fast, on that basis I should wait.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +7 more
rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 4,142
Re: Reception for the 1.3 looks pretty hostile...

Re : "Grumbles with previous Olys, too slow to change focus points" humm, what can possibly be faster than pointing with one finger on the LCD display to select where the AF point ought to be? Just curious.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +4 more
Louis_Dobson
OP Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,514

Means taking the camera from your eye. I dislike touch screens intensely.

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +7 more
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 6,119

I would wait for some samples of the HHHR first while it has potential in some areas movement remains an issue the sample shots posted with HHHR from DPreview don't look particularly convincing . The softness from moving parts of the images is quite obvious at least in these shots. Though it could be down to poor technique.

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8475993588/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-iii-sample-gallery/3110799027

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8475993588/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-iii-sample-gallery/3357559729

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8475993588/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-iii-sample-gallery/8804843261

https://1.img-dpreview.com/files/p/sample_galleries/8475993588/8804843261.jpg

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is not reason which is the guide of life, but custom. David Hume

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +10 more
Jan Chelminski
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 1,825

Louis, I have the 1X and have used the HH-HR mode quite a bit, I think you will love it.

Tip, right off, take 5 or so test shots of the same subject (trying to hold very steady, braced or leaning is good and scrutinize at 14X for critical sharpness. Since it will successfully composite results (in a range of results) below optimum, this can help get you started with a mental calibration of it’s outcome based on your holding style, etc. Some dialed in shutter press delay is probably a good idea as well. And do try using with the very low ISO’s in good light, as the output can be quite nice!

(Apple was moving a bit in breeze, out of cam jpeg/Affinity adj/iPad)

W the above sorted and mid to top level glass, the results are quite remarkable, IMO, but it should be noted, that it definitely improves the output of ALL lenses!

It’s top level execution can be a bit demanding on the operator, but knowing you, you will be fine. Enjoy!

Rgds,

Jan

-- hide signature --

"Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are camera lies, inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a naturalistic medium of rendition and that striving for naturalism in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures."
-- Andreas Feininger
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur."
-- Alfred Eisenstaedt
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The possession of a camera can inspire something akin to lust. And like all credible forms of lust, it cannot be satisfied."
------
"The highest vocation of photography is to explain man to man."
------
"...to photograph is to frame, and to frame is to exclude."
------
-- Susan Sontag

Jan Chelminski's gear list:Jan Chelminski's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus 25mm F1.2 Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD +4 more
whumber
whumber Senior Member • Posts: 2,953

Louis_Dobson wrote:

You don't need to take your eye off the EVF to use the touch pad AF select.

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +10 more
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,844

whumber wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

If you are a left eye viewer  the RH side of your face blocks the touch screen.

Peter

dinoSnake Veteran Member • Posts: 3,416

Messier Object wrote:

whumber wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

If you are a left eye viewer the RH side of your face blocks the touch screen.

This.

After glancing at the specs, and more importantly reading the mixed comments from current Olympus users, the entire affair has justified, in my perusal mind at least, my choice of jumping on a G9 when it was on sale.  The EM1.3 doesn't improve on the 1.2's video abilities, which was oh my shopping list and has only improved thanks to the G9's recent firmware update.  Add in the rest of the package versus the new $1800 EM1.3, and the G9 is made out as the 'bargain of the year'.

Rohith Thumati Contributing Member • Posts: 589

The criticisms of both this camera and the E-M5 III - and it seems the Nikon D6 and D780, for that matter - are pretty much the same: fans  waited a lot of years for what seem like incremental changes. Advances just aren’t as significant and noticeable as they used to be, it seems.

There’s certainly a lot to like about the camera. I think if you’re happy with Micro Four Thirds IQ, the E-M1 III makes a ton of sense - you get all of Olympus’ stabilization and processing advancements for a lot cheaper (and smaller) than an E-M1X.

I think the best arguments for going with the E-M1 III over, say, the similarly-priced and sized Z6 are those features you point out, and more. Live ND, live composite, live timer, starry AF, handheld high res, industry-leading stabilization - taken together, they’re all features that let photographers get images much faster, with less hassle, with less pre-planning, and reduced the need for ancillary gear (filters, tripods, etc.). If I’m able to get a shot I otherwise wouldn’t (i.e., I’m not futzing setting up a tripod), any IQ disadvantage is rather moot. As someone who likes to take early morning and evening shots, if I’m able to get out without needing to take a tripod, that’s a big deal for me.

Andrew Butterfield Senior Member • Posts: 2,538

These days there's such a mismatch between expectation and reality that any 'merely' evolutionary update will get a hostile response.

I wasn't expecting much so I think the new camera is pretty nice. The joystick is the best bit. Having only just bought a Mark II I'm not too bothered really, but if I was in the market for a Mark III, I would only really have been disappointed that they didn't make both card slots UHS-II, and didn't manage 60fps 4K.

I think keeping the Mark II on sale is a good move. In the future, they need to make regular incremental improvements to stop the expectation bandwagon.

-- hide signature --
 Andrew Butterfield's gear list:Andrew Butterfield's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +6 more
Louis_Dobson

I am indeed left eyed, but I can still use the touch screen for focus tracking on the GM5.
I hate it, but I forgive the GM5 because it's tiny.  
I'm a computer consultant in my day job, I use touch screens a lot, I'm using one now on this notepad (having switched from my phone so I can type this on a keyboard).  I'm perfectly used to and competent with them.
I don't like them, I try and pick kit that isn't dependant on them, and I especially loathe them on cameras (although they are even more annoying in cars - downright dangerous in fact).
Joystick please.

Messier Object wrote:

whumber wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Peter

-- hide signature --

Louis_Dobson

Each to their own.  I've used the video function three times in my whole life.  Don't like video.  By choice I still use the FT pro lenses, and the G9 doesn't support them, so I'm barely aware of it.

dinoSnake wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

whumber wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

This.

After glancing at the specs, and more importantly reading the mixed comments from current Olympus users, the entire affair has justified, in my perusal mind at least, my choice of jumping on a G9 when it was on sale. The EM1.3 doesn't improve on the 1.2's video abilities, which was oh my shopping list and has only improved thanks to the G9's recent firmware update. Add in the rest of the package versus the new $1800 EM1.3, and the G9 is made out as the 'bargain of the year'.

-- hide signature --

Louis_Dobson

The lizard one seems fine.  The cityscape is terrible, and it doesn't seem to be movement.  Don't know what happened there.

James Stirling wrote:

I would wait for some samples of the HHHR first while it has potential in some areas movement remains an issue the sample shots posted with HHHR from DPreview don't look particularly convincing . The softness from moving parts of the images is quite obvious at least in these shots. Though it could be down to poor technique.

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8475993588/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-iii-sample-gallery/3110799027

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8475993588/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-iii-sample-gallery/3357559729

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8475993588/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-iii-sample-gallery/8804843261

https://1.img-dpreview.com/files/p/sample_galleries/8475993588/8804843261.jpg

-- hide signature --

Louis_Dobson

Cheers Jan, I'm looking forward to it!

Jan Chelminski wrote:

Louis, I have the 1X and have used the HH-HR mode quite a bit, I think you will love it.

Tip, right off, take 5 or so test shots of the same subject (trying to hold very steady, braced or leaning is good and scrutinize at 14X for critical sharpness. Since it will successfully composite results (in a range of results) below optimum, this can help get you started with a mental calibration of it’s outcome based on your holding style, etc. Some dialed in shutter press delay is probably a good idea as well. And do try using with the very low ISO’s in good light, as the output can be quite nice!

(Apple was moving a bit in breeze, out of cam jpeg/Affinity adj/iPad)

W the above sorted and mid to top level glass, the results are quite remarkable, IMO, but it should be noted, that it definitely improves the output of ALL lenses!

It’s top level execution can be a bit demanding on the operator, but knowing you, you will be fine. Enjoy!

Rgds,

Jan

-- hide signature --

Louis_Dobson

Always been my feeling, but hopefully HHHR means that there is no IQ disadvantage for stationary objects in good light - which is when I need high IQ!

Rohith Thumati wrote:

The criticisms of both this camera and the E-M5 III - and it seems the Nikon D6 and D780, for that matter - are pretty much the same: fans waited a lot of years for what seem like incremental changes. Advances just aren’t as significant and noticeable as they used to be, it seems.

There’s certainly a lot to like about the camera. I think if you’re happy with Micro Four Thirds IQ, the E-M1 III makes a ton of sense - you get all of Olympus’ stabilization and processing advancements for a lot cheaper (and smaller) than an E-M1X.

I think the best arguments for going with the E-M1 III over, say, the similarly-priced and sized Z6 are those features you point out, and more. Live ND, live composite, live timer, starry AF, handheld high res, industry-leading stabilization - taken together, they’re all features that let photographers get images much faster, with less hassle, with less pre-planning, and reduced the need for ancillary gear (filters, tripods, etc.). If I’m able to get a shot I otherwise wouldn’t (i.e., I’m not futzing setting up a tripod), any IQ disadvantage is rather moot. As someone who likes to take early morning and evening shots, if I’m able to get out without needing to take a tripod, that’s a big deal for me.

-- hide signature --

Louis_Dobson

Indeed, but I'd be amazed if the MkII is still being made.

Andrew Butterfield wrote:

These days there's such a mismatch between expectation and reality that any 'merely' evolutionary update will get a hostile response.

I wasn't expecting much so I think the new camera is pretty nice. The joystick is the best bit. Having only just bought a Mark II I'm not too bothered really, but if I was in the market for a Mark III, I would only really have been disappointed that they didn't make both card slots UHS-II, and didn't manage 60fps 4K.

I think keeping the Mark II on sale is a good move. In the future, they need to make regular incremental improvements to stop the expectation bandwagon.

-- hide signature --

Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,574
No hostility from me

The overall package of the E-M1iii is just what I want.

Sure, the EVF, rear screen and sensor aren't new tech, but they are proven technology and perfectly adequate for what I need the camera for.

If Olympus produced 2 versions of the E-M1iii, one with the current specs and a more expensive version with upgraded EVF, screen and sensor, I would choose the former to save money for other things. Why pay for stuff I don't need.

I too have pre ordered. The hardest decision was what pre-order freebies to go for. Should I go for the backpack and extra battery  , orCapture One Pro software ? I went for the latter.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 40,439
Where have you been? :-)

I have been thinking about the new camera. I think it's ok. I think the main issue is that this is the model we are stuck with for the next 3-4 years... and some parts already look a bit meh.

And Fuji still has to drop their bomb in two weeks.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Andrew Butterfield Senior Member • Posts: 2,538
Re: Where have you been? :-)

Raist3d wrote:

I have been thinking about the new camera. I think it's ok. I think the main issue is that this is the model we are stuck with for the next 3-4 years... and some parts already look a bit meh.

The XT4 could really take the shine off the EM1.3, such as it is.

I feel a bit sorry for Olympus, especially if Fuji can match their standard of image stabilization. That would be a big problem. They'd lose their main USP.

-- hide signature --
 Andrew Butterfield's gear list:Andrew Butterfield's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +6 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 40,439
Re: Where have you been? :-)

Andrew Butterfield wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

The XT4 could really take the shine off the EM1.3, such as it is.

I feel a bit sorry for Olympus, especially if Fuji can match their standard of image stabilization. That would be a big problem. They'd lose their main USP.

The USP more than IBIS should be size. If I was Olympus besides that nice new zoom, I would re-issue all the smaller primes in weather sealed form.  The lenses are still somewhat smaller than the Fuji primes (though not by much).  And then bring on their standard telephoto pro lenses for weddings, events, etc.

They need to show clearly why their system being smaller has its advantages. I think Olympus Usa is doing a bit better than they used to in this area.

The F1.2 primes don't make a good case here.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads