Panasonic exposure compensation?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 17,178
Panasonic exposure compensation?

Yesterday I bought I got a very nice, used GX7II (GX85) for $269 here in Japan. I have been going through the PDF manual I downloaded and getting it configured. One weird thing that I can't figure out though concerns exposure compensation. I have it configured for the rear dial, like I have for just about every camera I have owned for many years: Olympus, Sony, Canon, Pentax, etc. The weird thing about this Panasonic though is that when I turn the rear dial to adjust exposure compensation it then requires me to do a second step and confirm it. This slows things down a lot and until I confirm it I can't adjust the aperture, etc. I usually shoot in aperture priority mode and adjust the aperture with the front dial and exposure compensation with the rear dial. Only the Panasonic makes adjusting exposure compensation a slow, 2-step process. Adjusting the aperture does as I expect, I turn the dial and the aperture adjusts without requiring a second step to confirm it.

I have been searching through the menu trying to find a way to eliminate the second confirmation step, but so far I haven't found anything. Does anyone know a way to do it? Thank you.

By the way, if all you have to contribute is a comment about how you like the second confirmation step or don't mind it, then please don't bother to reply and junk up the thread. I am hoping for a solution, not someone telling me it is good the way it is. Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

evetsf Senior Member • Posts: 1,239
Re: Panasonic exposure compensation?

What shows up on the EVF or the LCD when you soon the rear dial? Just the EC scale in the bottom center changing, or a more extensive overlay with bracketing adjustments @ top left and flash EC @ top right?

Steve

evetsf's gear list:evetsf's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +3 more
brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,215

I don't know what could cause that, but I'm pretty sure I have never seen a two-step EC adjustment procedure like you describe with any of the eight Panasonic cameras I have owned, nor do I recall ever reading about such a thing in any manual.

Did you do a full reset of all settings after you bought this camera used? If not, I'd try that, or double-checking your configuration setting for the rear dial. Perhaps evetsf is on to something. Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +15 more
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 6,092

Henry Richardson wrote:

Yesterday I bought I got a very nice, used GX7II (GX85) for $269 here in Japan. I have been going through the PDF manual I downloaded and getting it configured. One weird thing that I can't figure out though concerns exposure compensation. I have it configured for the rear dial, like I have for just about every camera I have owned for many years: Olympus, Sony, Canon, Pentax, etc. The weird thing about this Panasonic though is that when I turn the rear dial to adjust exposure compensation it then requires me to do a second step and confirm it. This slows things down a lot and until I confirm it I can't adjust the aperture, etc. I usually shoot in aperture priority mode and adjust the aperture with the front dial and exposure compensation with the rear dial. Only the Panasonic makes adjusting exposure compensation a slow, 2-step process. Adjusting the aperture does as I expect, I turn the dial and the aperture adjusts without requiring a second step to confirm it.

I have been searching through the menu trying to find a way to eliminate the second confirmation step, but so far I haven't found anything. Does anyone know a way to do it? Thank you.

By the way, if all you have to contribute is a comment about how you like the second confirmation step or don't mind it, then please don't bother to reply and junk up the thread. I am hoping for a solution, not someone telling me it is good the way it is. Thank you.

Henry, I don't know if it is what you are looking for but I believe there is a menu option to turn of the press stage . I don't have this camera to test it out, I do like the dedicated EV wheel on my GX8  though 

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is not reason which is the guide of life, but custom. David Hume

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +10 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,392
+1

To OP:

Never happen to my GX7, GX85 and G85 which use a dual dial control system.

For G1, GF3 and GX1 which uses push dial/click +/- to switch between EC and aperture setting, also never happened.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic G85 +10 more
OP Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 17,178

evetsf wrote:

What shows up on the EVF or the LCD when you soon the rear dial? Just the EC scale in the bottom center changing, or a more extensive overlay with bracketing adjustments @ top left and flash EC @ top right?

Just the EC scale at the bottom center.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Here it is in the GX85 manual

brentbrent wrote:

I don't know what could cause that, but I'm pretty sure I have never seen a two-step EC adjustment procedure like you describe with any of the eight Panasonic cameras I have owned, nor do I recall ever reading about such a thing in any manual.

Well, now it is getting really weird.  My camera does it and the GX85 manual describes exactly what I am experiencing and yet you don't have it happen on any of your cameras.  I have to do steps 1, 2, and 3 as described in the manual.  Do you remember how you set up yours so that there is no step 3?  Note, I have set in the menu to use the rear dial for EC so I don't have to do step 1.  Only steps 2 and 3.  If I half-press on the shutter button it does the same confirmation as pressing on the rear dial in step 3.

Did you do a full reset of all settings after you bought this camera used? If not, I'd try that, or double-checking your configuration setting for the rear dial. Perhaps evetsf is on to something. Good luck.

Yes, I did a full reset before I started using the camera.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

James Stirling wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Henry, I don't know if it is what you are looking for but I believe there is a menu option to turn of the press stage . I don't have this camera to test it out, I do like the dedicated EV wheel on my GX8 though

Yes, as I mentioned, I have mine configured to do EC with the rear dial.  I have the Dial Set to Exposure Comp as in the manual above.  As in my post above that has a screenshot of the manual though it requires an additional step after turning the EC dial.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,299

Are u sure there isn't nothing to keep you from shooting w/ the EV you've selected while not hitting the "enter" button?  The Scale may still be highlighted … but does that matter?

Or am I misunderstanding your issue?

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,392
Re: Here it is in the GX85 manual

Got it.

Dear friend, you pushed the back dial which will take you to EC, which is a redundant feature of GX85.

I said redundant because that it is sort of single dial operation carried over from G1. Until now despite GX7 and GX85 uses a 2 dials control, Panny keeps the pushable feature but has also added with 2 controls to it.

Actually when we are in A or S, it is a default of GX85 to have one dial for aperture/ SS, and the other dial for EC. We just set the job to either front or back dial for our convenience only. So if you assign EC to back dial, just scroll the back dial you will set EC directly. No need to push the Back Dial.

I personally prefer to set EC to the back dial on other models. However, might be a problem of my copy of GX85, I found it quit hard to use the back dial (some reports that had broken it). As EC is the most used features of mine, I set EC to the front dial.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Deekie Regular Member • Posts: 381

Henry Richardson wrote:

Hi Henry, i no longer have the GX80/85 so i have just tried re-assigning Exp Comp to both the front & rear dials on a GX9.  (I first disabled its dedicated Exp Comp dial) and in both cases, spinning the relevant front or rear dial adjusts Exp Comp immediately with no additional steps.

So you now have me wondering whether there is an issue with your rear-dial because i think it is a multi-function dial with the secondary 'push' function.  To eliminate this as a potential issue, i would say try temporarily assigning Exp Comp to the front dial on your camera and then see if you can adjust Exp Comp immediately.  Then perhaps you will be able to work out whether its a combination type problem with your rear dial.

When its 're-assigned' (to say the front dial) one gets the smaller/short yellow Exp Comp scale displayed in the bottom centre of the display. This is handy because you can still view all other parameters either side of the Exp Comp display.  I like to use it this way in-conjunction with the displayed histogram.

When its left to default (push the rear dial) one gets the fuller/more detailed Exp Comp scale displayed across the full width of the botton of the display.

Both ways work just fine, allowing instant adjustment.  Hence i am curious what is the confirmation step required by your camera.

Hope that is of some help

rashid7

alcelc wrote:

Got it.

Dear friend, you pushed the back dial which will take you to EC, which is a redundant feature of GX85.

I said redundant because that it is sort of single dial operation carried over from G1. Until now despite GX7 and GX85 uses a 2 dials control, Panny keeps the pushable feature but has also added with 2 controls to it.

Actually when we are in A or S, it is a default of GX85 to have one dial for aperture/ SS, and the other dial for EC. We just set the job to either front or back dial for our convenience only. So if you assign EC to back dial, just scroll the back dial you will set EC directly. No need to push the Back Dial.

I personally prefer to set EC to the back dial on other models. However, might be a problem of my copy of GX85, I found it quit hard to use the back dial (some reports that had broken it). As EC is the most used features of mine, I set EC to the front dial.

Actually the default is for both dials to do the same thing.  You need to go to the custom menu under controls and set EV as the active parameter of one top dial

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

Henry Richardson wrote:

Well, now it is getting really weird. My camera does it and the GX85 manual describes exactly what I am experiencing and yet you don't have it happen on any of your cameras. I have to do steps 1, 2, and 3 as described in the manual.

Wow, that seems bizarre to me. Hopefully Rashid7's reply just above mine has the answer.  I'd have to check the manuals of all my cameras to be 100% sure, but I still feel confident I've never seen that "confirm" step.

The GM5 of course only has one control dial, on the back, and you press it in to switch between aperture (or shutter speed) and EC, but when it is in EC adjustment mode, there is no third confirm step:

-- hide signature --

Brent

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +15 more
rashid7

Deekie, it is ironic that on our GX9's there are so many different ways to set EV...

1) the analog dial, which i deactivate *

2) the click function of top thumb dial, which cannot be reprogrammed

3) Setting either top dial to do it without any other steps *  (not active in M )

I also select the menu option for it to always return to zero EV after sleep, shutdown, or mode changes

*note: in order to set one of the top dials to EV, you must 1st deactivate the analog/hard      dial

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

addlightness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,138

I have a GX85 and I configured my front dial for EC and rear dial for aperture.  However, you'd also need to assign which dial you want for EC - go to Menu and select the C wrench, scroll to 'DIal Set'.  The 3rd menu item is for EC.  Good luck!

addlightness's gear list:addlightness's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +10 more
Deekie Regular Member • Posts: 381

rashid7 wrote:

Deekie, it is ironic that on our GX9's there are so many different ways to set EV...

1) the analog dial, which i deactivate *

2) the click function of top thumb dial, which cannot be reprogrammed

3) Setting either top dial to do it without any other steps * (not active in M )

I also select the menu option for it to always return to zero EV after sleep, shutdown, or mode changes

*note: in order to set one of the top dials to EV, you must 1st deactivate the analog/hard dial

Aye thanks, me too, i always deactivate it  LOL

Its handy features like these and great image quality which has me sticking with Panasonic.  On an earlier model, also with a dedicated Ex Comp dial like the GX9, i found the dedicated dial too stiff and awkward to use whilst looking through the EVF, which slowed me up a bit.  For what i tend to shoot, A-mode and quick adjustement of Exp Comp seems to be my primary style.  So much so, that even on my everyday work G9 i have Exp Comp set to the front dial for speediest operation.

I am fan of the opposite of 'return to zero' because i tend to shoot the same things every day/week ...i bet if i had time to check, the majority of what i have captured was done at about +1/3 or +2/3 Exp Comp?

Although they are great cameras, its the Pana/Leica 8-18 which has transformed my images the most, so i've never been more happy than with this combo. 

evetsf Senior Member • Posts: 1,239

Henry Richardson wrote:

brentbrent wrote:

Well, now it is getting really weird. My camera does it and the GX85 manual describes exactly what I am experiencing and yet you don't have it happen on any of your cameras. I have to do steps 1, 2, and 3 as described in the manual. Do you remember how you set up yours so that there is no step 3? Note, I have set in the menu to use the rear dial for EC so I don't have to do step 1. Only steps 2 and 3. If I half-press on the shutter button it does the same confirmation as pressing on the rear dial in step 3.

Yes, I did a full reset before I started using the camera.

Yes this is what I asked about earlier: notice those two items marked "A" & "C" in the diagram to the right of step 2? Those are what I was after: do you see them when you adjust EC?

So far your GX85 seems to be working exactly the same as my GX9. One thing that other GX9 users have mentioned here is that the dedicated EC dial on the top plate needs to be turned OFF before the rear dial will work the way you want. The GX85 is probably the same. This option is in the Dial Set portion of the Menus.

Once you've done that you should be able to set the rear dial to EC without having to do the before & after click. That will still be there, for quick access to the other options like flash EC & exposure bracketing setup.

Speaking of that dedicated EC dial, I hope Panasonic is reading this thread because I'm going to make a request for the design of the next GX body: make that dial do something else! Its current assignment is clearly a case of form over function: why limit the Dial to +-3EV EC when the camera does +-5EV but you have to use a different control to go beyond 3? Totally redundant.

Instead, make that thing a drive-mode dial. It's nothing new for Panasonic; they already have drive mode stacked under the exposure mode dial on the G9 and the S1 series, and I find the lack of one on the GX9 rather annoying.

Steve

evetsf's gear list:evetsf's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +3 more
re: physical EC dials

evetsf wrote:

So far your GX85 seems to be working exactly the same as my GX9. One thing that other GX9 users have mentioned here is that the dedicated EC dial on the top plate needs to be turned OFF before the rear dial will work the way you want. The GX85 is probably the same.

GX85 does not have a dedicated physical EC dial.  I think the GX8 and GX9 are the only Panasonic MFT cameras that do

Speaking of that dedicated EC dial, I hope Panasonic is reading this thread because I'm going to make a request for the design of the next GX body: make that dial do something else! Its current assignment is clearly a case of form over function: why limit the Dial to +-3EV EC when the camera does +-5EV but you have to use a different control to go beyond 3? Totally redundant.

Instead, make that thing a drive-mode dial. It's nothing new for Panasonic; they already have drive mode stacked under the exposure mode dial on the G9 and the S1 series, and I find the lack of one on the GX9 rather annoying.

Well, be glad that you can at least configure some other dial to operate EC.  GX8 users are stuck with the dedicated physical dial for EC.   Some like it, but not me.  Like you, I'd prefer no EC dial, even if it could be remapped for some other purpose (?).

-- hide signature --

Brent

Mark9473 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,057

Henry Richardson wrote:

Well, now it is getting really weird. My camera does it and the GX85 manual describes exactly what I am experiencing and yet you don't have it happen on any of your cameras. I have to do steps 1, 2, and 3 as described in the manual.

The procedure in the manual is, not surprisingly, the default camera setting.

To get a direct-action EC you need to assign EC to the rear dial so that it operates EC without first needing to be clicked.

Works on my GX85 so it should on yours.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +21 more
prairiedog Regular Member • Posts: 247

With EC set to the rear dial as you have, a press of the rear dial is optional to bring up/dismiss the large EC graphic. But whatever EC you dial in sticks whenever you carry on with whatever else you are doing.

The manual page applies to default (EC not set to the rear dial.) Step 1 is needed to get into EC mode and brings up the big graphic. Step 3 closes the big EC graphic but is optional. Again whatever is dialed in sticks when you carry on with other things.

prairiedog's gear list:prairiedog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads