EM-1 Miii: Fairly disappointed, but might still give it a try

Started 1 week ago | Discussions
mrwho27 Regular Member • Posts: 398
EM-1 Miii: Fairly disappointed, but might still give it a try

Hi all,
since 2008 I am shooting with my beloved Nikon D90. Though the camera was true revolution when it came out (and still is to some extend), I have been looking for a significant update over the last years. 
In 2015 I tried the Olympus EM-1 Mi. I fell in love with the ergonomics and features but was very disappointed with the image quality (since it fell behind the much older Nikon D90). Then came the EM-1 Mii. At the time I just did not have funds to make a major system switch and just admired the camera from afar.
Then at the end of last year and some pretty incredible prices for the Sony A7r IV, I thought I had finally found a camera to upgrade to. Until I held the camera in store. WHAT HORRIBLE ERGONOMICS!!!
When we first heard rumors about an upcoming EM-1 Miii, I got super excited and thought that THIS IS IT!
Until the specs of the camera became clearer.. I have to say I am quite disappointed that they went with the same old sensor (image processor does not seem to provide any gains either) the same EVF and also did (again) not get close to Sony's AF.
Since a camera is more than its individual specs, I probably will still rent one and compare it against the Sony A7r IV to see what is more important to me:
Absolute Picture Quality or portability and ergonomics.
I also have to say, that this product release by Olympus definitely supports the naysayers that claim that Olympus is shutting down its camera business...

mrwho27's gear list:mrwho27's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Nikon D90 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MrALLCAPS
MrALLCAPS Senior Member • Posts: 1,225
Re: EM-1 Miii: Fairly disappointed, but might still give it a try

mrwho27 wrote:

Hi all,
since 2008 I am shooting with my beloved Nikon D90. Though the camera was true revolution when it came out (and still is to some extend), I have been looking for a significant update over the last years.
In 2015 I tried the Olympus EM-1 Mi. I fell in love with the ergonomics and features but was very disappointed with the image quality (since it fell behind the much older Nikon D90). Then came the EM-1 Mii. At the time I just did not have funds to make a major system switch and just admired the camera from afar.
Then at the end of last year and some pretty incredible prices for the Sony A7r IV, I thought I had finally found a camera to upgrade to. Until I held the camera in store. WHAT HORRIBLE ERGONOMICS!!!
When we first heard rumors about an upcoming EM-1 Miii, I got super excited and thought that THIS IS IT!
Until the specs of the camera became clearer.. I have to say I am quite disappointed that they went with the same old sensor (image processor does not seem to provide any gains either) the same EVF and also did (again) not get close to Sony's AF.
Since a camera is more than its individual specs, I probably will still rent one and compare it against the Sony A7r IV to see what is more important to me:
I also have to say, that this product release by Olympus definitely supports the naysayers that claim that Olympus is shutting down its camera business...

I wouldn't say shutting down, but definitely in reduce costs severely mode.

So Olympus showed their hand with the EM1X, EM5 MkIII and now the EM1 MkIII.

Not a good hand at all, unless your looking thru the eyes of an Olympus faithful. Moving forward, unless they improve specs, it will only look worse, not to mention, what about the competition and their response to this EM1?

MrALLCAPS's gear list:MrALLCAPS's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z6
acfo Regular Member • Posts: 461

mrwho27 wrote:

Sony A7r IV [...] WHAT HORRIBLE ERGONOMICS!!! EM-1 Miii [...]THIS IS IT!

You should change your name to MRALLCAPS

Agreed. Olympus marketing should at least have put a v3 to the sensor name and claimed it was powdered in fairy dust.

acfo's gear list:acfo's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
EZGritz
EZGritz Contributing Member • Posts: 550

Consider the EM-1.2 while they last. Great camera for the money. Save enough to pay for most of the new 12-45 f/4 lens (or some lens). The EM-1.3 has improvements but none that make enough difference for me to upgrade. You get most of it with the Mark II.

Or the EM-5.3 with a removable grip.

The D90 was/is a great camera but you will appreciate the size/weight and the IBIS of the OLY. I like the sensor. 20MP is enough for me. PDAF CAF works great. Manual focus mode is very helpful as is face and eye detect. I use high res for landscapes on a tripod. Greatly reduces noise and makes better color and transition. Makes scary detailed 50MP images.

Camera does everything I need for general, sports and landscape photography. F/1.8 primes and IBIS enable low light shooting when nothing is moving. As good or better than most ASP-C cameras and close enough to FF cameras for me.

I appreciate the most the 40-150 F/2.8 with and without the 1.4TC. Great sports package with and without the TC. I can shoot it wide open to 300mm f/2.8 and 420mm f/4. I'm in good light outdoors so these lenses are as fast as I will ever need.

The most extensive lens selection. Pancakes, small and light compacts, inexpensive and average speed, more expensive and fast but much smaller and less expensive than larger formats in general, excellent zooms. High quality optics, usable shot wide open, not a bad lens in the bunch. You can find most anything you want.

Some people compare specs and are not impressed. I match to my shooting style and the type of photography I do in the field and don't find the system lacking in any way.

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +7 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,300

Best to rent for a week and see how you will like it is good advice for any camera.  Modern cameras are all very good for most photographic sit9.  It comes mostly to the user.

When the E-M1 Mkii was released 3-1/2 years ago a lot of the naysayers came out whining.   Yet in the time it has been a really good camera.  The E-M1 Mkii looks to be not revolutionary but an evolution in the E-M1 line of cameras and should be a nicely refined over the previous cameras in this line.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 5,219

1) how is your current gear not working? It seems like you just want to buy something new.

2) If you buy this camera you are telling Olympus that you like incremental upgrades that you consider a disappointment.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 5,117

mrwho27 wrote:

Hi all,

Honestly I'd not look at m43 if I were you.  If the EM1 MKI disappointed you in IQ, you'll find not a huge amount of progress has occurred since then.  You have some Nikon lenses, try a Z6 or even a Z50.  Canon has some new mirrorless coming out soon.  I have the R and love it.  The new Canon cameras are rumored to have IBIS which really was the only thing lacking in the lineup.  If wanting something smaller/lighter like an EM10 then go ahead with m43.  For the larger cameras, if not already committed to the format, there are better cameras at better prices frankly.  Excuse me while I put on my flack jacket.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,825

I just upgraded my EM1.1 to EM1.2 and was surprised at the bump in IQ from RAW files.  Improvements in the EM1.3 will mostly come from features like HHHRes and software ND filter.

You don't say what it is about the EM1.1 IQ that was disappointing, so it's hard to comment or advise you.

I have an A7R2 and some decent lenses, so I could describe differences that matter to me.  Many dual Sony-Olympus users feel that the EM series are better cameras and Sony somehow created high spec bricks.  I guess that depends on what your priorities are.

If EM1.3 isn't for you, go elsewhere - there are many options.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R +28 more
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,651

jwilliams wrote:

mrwho27 wrote:

Hi all,

Honestly I'd not look at m43 if I were you. If the EM1 MKI disappointed you in IQ, you'll find not a huge amount of progress has occurred since then. You have some Nikon lenses, try a Z6 or even a Z50. Canon has some new mirrorless coming out soon. I have the R and love it. The new Canon cameras are rumored to have IBIS which really was the only thing lacking in the lineup. If wanting something smaller/lighter like an EM10 then go ahead with m43. For the larger cameras, if not already committed to the format, there are better cameras at better prices frankly. Excuse me while I put on my flack jacket.

You don't need a flack jacket, but tell me what other camera can provide better images at FF FOV from 600mm-1200mm that I can hold this way and actually use it with one hand.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
nameless0ne
nameless0ne Forum Member • Posts: 53

I am not exactly sure what you have not liked regarding E-M1 over D90. I switched myself from Nikon D700 to E-M5 some time ago, in past. And D700 is just enormously better than D90. And E-M1 was much better than E-M5.... While E-M1 Mark II is just much much better than E-M1... so, if you consider D90 as better camera than E-M1 there is no sense to change anything for you.

Still, I think this post is some sort of a joke. I can remember D90 myself -- was a good camera, but -- grayish colours, noise over ISO 1600 was HUGE, poor dynamic range and 12 Mp is a youke now a days. The only good thing about it was the body, while a little plasticy still quit comfortable and light. So stay with it than, if E-M1 was not good enough. You will not like E-M1 iii.

nameless0ne's gear list:nameless0ne's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EOS RP +12 more
Ifixit Regular Member • Posts: 174

What kind of quantum leaps do you see with the Canon 1dxm3, Nikon D6, Sony A9mii, Fuji releases or others that make you deduct that Olympus is going under? IMO we have tech maturity and we will see evolution, not revolution in the near future.

-- hide signature --
Space the final frontier Contributing Member • Posts: 818

I came to m4/3 from APSc about 4 or 5 years ago. I did not see a change in IQ that I need to worry about but gained much in terms of portability. Now I have one E-M1 and two E-M5.2. They still produce fantastic images if I have the right framing and good exposure. They share the same batteries. It will take a lot to convince that an upgrade is worthwhile. That $2K body will instead buy me 1/2 a trip, which I think is much more exciting.

Space the final frontier's gear list:Space the final frontier's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +13 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 40,419
That’s you. Not the market.

and the majority of m43 owners aren’t bird shooters

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 7,458
the "new sensor" fallacy

The "it's not a new" sensor complaint is a load of nonsense.

Sure, 10 years ago it was a big deal, as there were noticeable quality improvements with each sensor generation.

That is no longer true. It's not true for 4/3, APS-C nor FF. It seems there are only two areas of sensor improvement:

• pixel count
  • speed

The 20mp sensor from E-M1 Mark II is still one of the fastest, if not the fastest on the market. The one in A9 is faster only in specific shooting mode, where it uses its special readout mode, otherwise it is slower. The fastest APS-C sensor is the one in Fuji, I think, but it's also not as fast as this.

So you still get the best 4/3 sensor there is.

It doesn't have 40mp? Well, it's an action shooting camera, expecting it to have 40mp sensor is not exactly realistic. It can take 50mp photos with DR and noise levels of best FF cameras, though.

What do you think a "new sensor" would offer you? Deny physics and suddenly you'd get 2 more stops of DR and lower noise?

Let's face the facts here. The only way to get a meaningful improvement in image quality is to jump to a larger format. Preferably by 2 sizes as anything less would be pretty insignificant.

Am I saying that a new sensor would not be nice? No. But for a new sensor to be a reasonable upgrade, it would have to:

• be a lot faster, perhaps global shutter - looks like there has been no big improvements on this front seeing how the 20mp sensor from 2016 is still the king in this regard. So I would not expect this anytime soon.
  • have a lot more pixels - sorry, but 4 more megapixels is nothing, make it 44 mp and that would be worthwhile. But again, not for this kind of camera. Also, I can already see the whining about having to buy expensive CFExpress cards.

Anything else than the above would be insignificant.

And with camera sales still crashing, cranking out new sensors gets more and more expensive as volume drops. Things will get even slower than they already are. Doesn't matter Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fuji, there will be a lot of sensor reuse going forward.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
MrALLCAPS

acfo wrote:

mrwho27 wrote:

Sony A7r IV [...] WHAT HORRIBLE ERGONOMICS!!! EM-1 Miii [...]THIS IS IT!

You should change your name to MRALLCAPS

There is only one MrALLCAPS, and I am he.

Accept No Imitations...

Agreed. Olympus marketing should at least have put a v3 to the sensor name and claimed it was powdered in fairy dust.

MrALLCAPS

https://petapixel.com/2020/02/12/hands-on-with-the-olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-iii-lots-to-love-some-things-to-question/

Petapixel has a very well written article on the MkIII, but Olympus chimes in on some if his complaints, which isn't cool that they did.

Nice pics too.

Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 14,479
Re: the "new sensor" fallacy

Astrotripper wrote:

The "it's not a new" sensor complaint is a load of nonsense.

Sure, 10 years ago it was a big deal, as there were noticeable quality improvements with each sensor generation.

That is no longer true. It's not true for 4/3, APS-C nor FF. It seems there are only two areas of sensor improvement:

• pixel count
  • speed

The 20mp sensor from E-M1 Mark II is still one of the fastest, if not the fastest on the market. The one in A9 is faster only in specific shooting mode, where it uses its special readout mode, otherwise it is slower. The fastest APS-C sensor is the one in Fuji, I think, but it's also not as fast as this.

So you still get the best 4/3 sensor there is.

It doesn't have 40mp? Well, it's an action shooting camera, expecting it to have 40mp sensor is not exactly realistic. It can take 50mp photos with DR and noise levels of best FF cameras, though.

What do you think a "new sensor" would offer you? Deny physics and suddenly you'd get 2 more stops of DR and lower noise?

Let's face the facts here. The only way to get a meaningful improvement in image quality is to jump to a larger format. Preferably by 2 sizes as anything less would be pretty insignificant.

No The facts are, the only way to get better images is spend $50k on a new studio

Am I saying that a new sensor would not be nice? No. But for a new sensor to be a reasonable upgrade, it would have to:

• be a lot faster, perhaps global shutter - looks like there has been no big improvements on this front seeing how the 20mp sensor from 2016 is still the king in this regard. So I would not expect this anytime soon.
  • have a lot more pixels - sorry, but 4 more megapixels is nothing, make it 44 mp and that would be worthwhile. But again, not for this kind of camera. Also, I can already see the whining about having to buy expensive CFExpress cards.

Anything else than the above would be insignificant.

And with camera sales still crashing, cranking out new sensors gets more and more expensive as volume drops. Things will get even slower than they already are. Doesn't matter Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fuji, there will be a lot of sensor reuse going forward.

-- hide signature --

"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers." - Socrates
Olympus EM5mk2 ,EM1mk2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1

drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,651
Re: That’s you. Not the market.

Raist3d wrote:

and the majority of m43 owners aren’t bird shooters

That is probably true, but Olympus has identified wildlife/sports as a target market for the E-M1s, the E-M10s, E-M5 and Pens are not targeted that way.

However, I was just responding to the comment about larger cameras like the E-M1X and E-M1.3.  I am unaware of any better larger cameras for better prices that can easily be carried and used without tripods.

"For the larger cameras, if not already committed to the format, there are better cameras at better prices frankly. "

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
OP mrwho27 Regular Member • Posts: 398

HRC2016 wrote:

1) how is your current gear not working? It seems like you just want to buy something new.

2) If you buy this camera you are telling Olympus that you like incremental upgrades that you consider a disappointment.

1)

• I would like a haptically more appealing body. I am always operating the D90 with a BG since i have larger hands. 
  • I would like to have a faster camera: processing, operations, AF
  • I would like to take advantage of a better sensor (resolution, DR, high ISO)
  • I would like to be able to use new features (EVF, non-fixed screen, imrpoved image stabilization, etc.)

2) Fair enough. The final judgement is still out on this.

mrwho27's gear list:mrwho27's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Searching Veteran Member • Posts: 3,702

jwilliams wrote:

mrwho27 wrote:

Hi all,

Honestly I'd not look at m43 if I were you. If the EM1 MKI disappointed you in IQ, you'll find not a huge amount of progress has occurred since then. You have some Nikon lenses, try a Z6 or even a Z50. Canon has some new mirrorless coming out soon. I have the R and love it. The new Canon cameras are rumored to have IBIS which really was the only thing lacking in the lineup. If wanting something smaller/lighter like an EM10 then go ahead with m43. For the larger cameras, if not already committed to the format, there are better cameras at better prices frankly. Excuse me while I put on my flack jacket.

You shouldn't need the flack jacket.  What you are saying is quite true and deserves some thought for new buyers.  Olympus just doesn't have more capital to invest in a M4/3 market that seems stalled.  A poor man's 12-45 and a rebranded EM 1.2 with a few tricks included.  Waited four years for that.

Searching's gear list:Searching's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads