Welp, no 6K in the X-T4 it is.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,668
Re: Welp, no 6K in the X-T4 it is.

Miguel-C wrote:

jjz2 wrote:

Clive99 wrote:

What are you going to watch 6K or 8K on? I suppose it appeals to a very different market segment than me..I've never even used 4K on my XT3 (don't have a 4K screen in the house). I think video features are wasted on many of us stills photographers.

6 and 8k tvs will be around soon. 4k tvs are dirt cheap right now...You could buy like 5 55" 4k smart tvs for the price of your XT3 walking into Best Buy.

Many people use 5k monitors or retina screens for awhile now, too. Retina 5k Imac came out in 2014 and is kind of standard now.

I can't look at 1080p without it hurting my eyes at this point if I'm using them next to each other.

also for editing, 6-8k will look much better downsampled.

I pay extra for Ultra HD 4k on Netflix, yes it's that much better.

I wouldnt say its mainstream, 4k monitors are still niche and mostly used by designers and creators. I dont know a single person with a 4k monitor. Many Netflix users use lower resolutions, same thing for youtube.

There are tons of people consuming 4k content, but i wouldnt assume its the norm.

Then we have the added costs of computer upgrades, if you are a mac user very likely you need to upgrade your laptop entirely. Extra hard drives, extra cards, extra everything.

Eh... you can get 4k monitors and tvs for 300 bucks and under all day long. I think LOTS of people are upgrading, and most people I know in my field uses them or has a HD/Retina display at this point on their laptop if not.

I'm sure it might not be over the tipping point as the norm but among my friends people have at least had 4k tvs for awhile now, even if the content itself is lagging.

In the US these are VERY cheap if you want them.

iPhones, which people upgrade on the regular have been shooting in 4k for like 5 years now.

I don't care much about video myself and rarely use it...however, to trivialize the difference to me is funny, for viewing content or even editing photos. It is WAY better to edit on a 4k/retina screen than 1080p, i could NEVER go back. And I'd recommend if you aren't editing on something higher than 1080p (preferably 200+ ppi) for that to be your first investment...forget more lenses or a newer camera... who cares if you can't really see what you're editing.

Side note... I think a lot of arguments of what is "sharp or what is soft" on this board could stem from viewing equipment.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8
Clive99 Contributing Member • Posts: 825

jjz2 wrote:

Miguel-C wrote:

jjz2 wrote:

Clive99 wrote:

What are you going to watch 6K or 8K on? I suppose it appeals to a very different market segment than me..I've never even used 4K on my XT3 (don't have a 4K screen in the house). I think video features are wasted on many of us stills photographers.

6 and 8k tvs will be around soon. 4k tvs are dirt cheap right now...You could buy like 5 55" 4k smart tvs for the price of your XT3 walking into Best Buy.

Many people use 5k monitors or retina screens for awhile now, too. Retina 5k Imac came out in 2014 and is kind of standard now.

I can't look at 1080p without it hurting my eyes at this point if I'm using them next to each other.

I wouldnt say its mainstream, 4k monitors are still niche and mostly used by designers and creators. I dont know a single person with a 4k monitor. Many Netflix users use lower resolutions, same thing for youtube.

There are tons of people consuming 4k content, but i wouldnt assume its the norm.

Then we have the added costs of computer upgrades, if you are a mac user very likely you need to upgrade your laptop entirely. Extra hard drives, extra cards, extra everything.

Eh... you can get 4k monitors and tvs for 300 bucks and under all day long. I think LOTS of people are upgrading, and most people I know in my field uses them or has a HD/Retina display at this point on their laptop if not.

I'm sure it might not be over the tipping point as the norm but among my friends people have at least had 4k tvs for awhile now, even if the content itself is lagging.

iPhones, which people upgrade on the regular have been shooting in 4k for like 5 years now.

I don't care much about video myself and rarely use it...however, to trivialize the difference to me is funny, for viewing content or even editing photos. It is WAY better to edit on a 4k/retina screen than 1080p, i could NEVER go back. And I'd recommend if you aren't editing on something higher than 1080p (preferably 200+ ppi) for that to be your first investment...forget more lenses or a newer camera... who cares if you can't really see what you're editing.

Side note... I think a lot of arguments of what is "sharp or what is soft" on this board could stem from viewing equipment.

As I stated, I would not use a cheap $300 4K monitor for editing. Resolution is not the only quality of a monitor. I would pick a wide gamut calibrated 2.5K (2460x1440) IPS display over a cheap 4K for photo editing. Good 4K monitors ARE expensive.

Clive99's gear list:Clive99's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 +17 more
Len-O Senior Member • Posts: 1,179

Fuji Maine wrote:

I don't own a TV, I haven't even ever seen a color TV. I don't think anyone needs color. All these people who demand higher resolution video are the same people who thought we needed better quality than cassette and they're still doing me just fine. As for the camera, I'm sticking with film. I'm not upgrading my compaq presario just for these fancy new digital pictures.

...and you walked to school bare foot in the snow, uphill both ways.

Len-O's gear list:Len-O's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +7 more
jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,668

Clive99 wrote:

jjz2 wrote:

Miguel-C wrote:

jjz2 wrote:

Clive99 wrote:

As I stated, I would not use a cheap $300 4K monitor for editing. Resolution is not the only quality of a monitor. I would pick a wide gamut calibrated 2.5K (2460x1440) IPS display over a cheap 4K for photo editing. Good 4K monitors ARE expensive.

Was referring to TV on that... but yes I agree.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8
Jim King
Jim King Veteran Member • Posts: 8,583

Len-O wrote:

Fuji Maine wrote:

I don't own a TV, I haven't even ever seen a color TV. I don't think anyone needs color. All these people who demand higher resolution video are the same people who thought we needed better quality than cassette and they're still doing me just fine. As for the camera, I'm sticking with film. I'm not upgrading my compaq presario just for these fancy new digital pictures.

Yup, a true Luddite!

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -4h (EDT)
Pentaxian for over 60 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein (after A. Dumas fils)

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Pentax K-3 Leica M10 Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X30 Leica M9 +139 more
Fuji Maine Contributing Member • Posts: 703

yayatosorus wrote:

Having cutting edge tech is great, but at what cost?

I was hoping for about $1800.

lewiedude2
lewiedude2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,773

Len-O wrote:

Fuji Maine wrote:

And that was in the summer!!

lewiedude2's gear list:lewiedude2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Jim King
Jim King Veteran Member • Posts: 8,583

Fuji Maine wrote:

yayatosorus wrote:

Having cutting edge tech is great, but at what cost?

I was hoping for about $1800.

With IBIS and the other features touted for this body, I think that $1800 is a reasonable starting point for the X-T4.  It will probably fall to $1500 in 6 months or so.

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -4h (EDT)
Pentaxian for over 60 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein (after A. Dumas fils)

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Pentax K-3 Leica M10 Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X30 Leica M9 +139 more
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,487

yayatosorus wrote:

Fujirumors just reported that the X-T4 will not have 6K.

Source: https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t4-will-not-shoot-6k-video/

This new X-T3i is quickly beginning to look like the X-H1 all over again...

-- hide signature --

"Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways." - Psalm 119:37

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +3 more
Fuji Maine Contributing Member • Posts: 703

Couldn't agree more. Although I'm happy enough to see a new battery i guess, the XT4 seems to be little more than a XT3 with IBIS which I was specifically hoping the XH2 wasn't going to be. That's all assuming that the XT4 has the same great five stop Ibis system as in the XH. If it's a smaller three stop system on XT3 hardware than this camera is about to be an absolute garbage fire.

Ixoye
Ixoye Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: I couldn't care less

marco1974 wrote:

I haven't shot 1min of video in years.

The video button on my camera are still a virgin...

Ixoye's gear list:Ixoye's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
Jpm888 Regular Member • Posts: 194

Having 6k in a camera is too much of a compromise

There is a reason why Sony doesnt have any consumer 6k cameras as well

The cooling issue will make the camera too large and cumbersome for a feature an extreme minority would use

Fuji also wants to hit a cost target: probably $1800 or less.

nostatic
nostatic Regular Member • Posts: 399

Fuji Maine wrote:

Cassette?!?!? That's pretty fancy-pants. I'm still using wax cylinders dagnabbit - and I like it!

nostatic's gear list:nostatic's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
nostatic
nostatic Regular Member • Posts: 399

jjz2 wrote:

^^^ this

Even though I'm typically outputting 720 or 1080p, I'll shoot as much 4K as possible so I have good options to crop in post. Capture and final product are not necessarily the same.

nostatic's gear list:nostatic's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,487

Fuji Maine wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Although I'm happy enough to see a new battery i guess, the XT4 seems to be little more than a XT3 with IBIS which I was specifically hoping the XH2 wasn't going to be. That's all assuming that the XT4 has the same great five stop Ibis system as in the XH. If it's a smaller three stop system on XT3 hardware than this camera is about to be an absolute garbage fire.

Unless it has some truly competitive specs/features, it will be interesting to see how initial sales go, given Fuji's new reputation of dramatic price reductions over time. Fuji will be proud that they managed to squeeze IBIS into an X-T-ish body, along with a better battery, but there may be a premium to pay for that R&D. If however, there's a new camera, sensor, etc on the way for 2021, how many people will buy this camera at the outset, knowing that six months later Fuji will likely start reducing its price? It's a precarious market for all brands right now. If they don't price it aggressively it may very well become a repeat of the X-H1 debacle. 
Getting my bowl of popcorn ready...

-- hide signature --

"Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways." - Psalm 119:37

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +3 more
SigmaChrome Forum Pro • Posts: 12,013

No 6k. Good.

There's no need for it anyway.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Vitée
Capture all the light and colour!
http://www.pbase.com/vitee/galleries

SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro +35 more
GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,152

Miguel-C wrote:

I have a 4k monitor. My ~7 year old video card handles it ok, though not for video. The monitor wasn't too expensive, though i can't remember what I paid.

Mine works well enough for now. I'm shooting 4k for the baby, but it's more for keepsakes than worrying about editing. By the time I do any of that the kinks will be worked out and the hardware more reasonable.

-- hide signature --

"Law and order" is anathema to liberty and justice.

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +7 more
technotic Contributing Member • Posts: 626

yayatosorus wrote:

I'll pass then. Any X-T5 rumours yet?

marco1974 Senior Member • Posts: 1,915

technotic wrote:

yayatosorus wrote:

I'll pass then. Any X-T5 rumours yet?

You guys crack me up.

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
OP yayatosorus Regular Member • Posts: 167

I'd also like to update the thread for those wondering if the X-T4 will have the D-PAD: It will.

Source: https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t4-d-pad-or-no-d-pad-the-answer-in-this-article/

yayatosorus's gear list:yayatosorus's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads