Welp, no 6K in the X-T4 it is.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
yayatosorus Regular Member • Posts: 173
Welp, no 6K in the X-T4 it is.

Fujirumors just reported that the X-T4 will not have 6K.

Source: https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t4-will-not-shoot-6k-video/

yayatosorus's gear list:yayatosorus's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Miguel-C
Miguel-C Senior Member • Posts: 1,196
Re: Welp, no 6K in the X-T4 it is.

yayatosorus wrote:

Seems reasonable, i for one do not look forward to the 6k files and processing requirements.

OP yayatosorus Regular Member • Posts: 173

A personal takeaway I got from this is that this may be a sign, that the new camera will not feature a higher res sensor (32MP and above) needed for a down-sampled (thus sharper) 6K image from an 8K capture.

By the way I can't wait for the folks that will mention that the Samsung S20 Ultra features 8K video and that it'll crush dedicated cams.

Miguel-C

Perhaps. But we also need to consider the heat dissipation issues related to 6k. The panasonic S1H is bulky and has literally a fan inside for the cooling in order to support 6k natively.

@Miguel I agree that good and sharp 4k (And Full HD - the original Arri Alexa had great FHD files) are plenty enough already. I'd personally like to see if they go down the path of providing more flexible files and refined video controls and features.

Hannigan Junior Member • Posts: 44

The whole thing was stupid in the first place, the "source" was just some random anonymous internet person. And the Fujirumors admin just listed his fake specs in bullet-points, expecting people to read between the lines that they are not "serious" rumors.

Hannigan's gear list:Hannigan's gear list
Fujifilm X100F
Fuji Maine Contributing Member • Posts: 706

Miguel-C wrote:

Perhaps. But we also need to consider the heat dissipation issues related to 6k. The panasonic S1H is bulky and has literally a fan inside for the cooling in order to support 6k natively.

GH5 has 6k with no fan so it's not like it's not possible.

I know I likely speak for the minority here but this is a disappointing development. Unless there's some features that this includes that haven't yet been discussed I'm certainly going to wait for more information on the upcoming a7iv unless this turns out to be a $1400 camera.

jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,684

If no 6k...leaves room for H2 with the 6k/top info screen, and other vid features.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8

@Fuji Maine Yes that is true, although the APS-C sensor is bigger (thus needing more heat dissipating capabilities).

Craig268
Craig268 Senior Member • Posts: 1,232

jjz2 wrote:

If no 6k...leaves room for H2 with the 6k/top info screen, and other vid features.

My thought also

Craig268's gear list:Craig268's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +9 more
Clive99 Contributing Member • Posts: 825

What are you going to watch 6K or 8K on?  I suppose it appeals to a very different market segment than me..I've never even used 4K on my XT3 (don't have a 4K screen in the house). I think video features are wasted on many of us stills photographers.

Clive99's gear list:Clive99's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 +17 more
jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,684

Clive99 wrote:

What are you going to watch 6K or 8K on? I suppose it appeals to a very different market segment than me..I've never even used 4K on my XT3 (don't have a 4K screen in the house). I think video features are wasted on many of us stills photographers.

6 and 8k tvs will be around soon. 4k tvs are dirt cheap right now...You could buy like 5 55" 4k smart tvs for the price of your XT3 walking into Best Buy.

Many people use 5k monitors or retina screens for awhile now, too. Retina 5k Imac came out in 2014 and is kind of standard now.

I can't look at 1080p without it hurting my eyes at this point if I'm using them next to each other.

also for editing, 6-8k will look much better downsampled.

I pay extra for Ultra HD 4k on Netflix, yes it's that much better.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8
Miguel-C

jjz2 wrote:

Clive99 wrote:

What are you going to watch 6K or 8K on? I suppose it appeals to a very different market segment than me..I've never even used 4K on my XT3 (don't have a 4K screen in the house). I think video features are wasted on many of us stills photographers.

6 and 8k tvs will be around soon. 4k tvs are dirt cheap right now...You could buy like 5 55" 4k smart tvs for the price of your XT3 walking into Best Buy.

Many people use 5k monitors or retina screens for awhile now, too. Retina 5k Imac came out in 2014 and is kind of standard now.

I can't look at 1080p without it hurting my eyes at this point if I'm using them next to each other.

I wouldnt say its mainstream, 4k monitors are still niche and mostly used by designers and creators. I dont know a single person with a 4k monitor. Many Netflix users use lower resolutions, same thing for youtube.

There are tons of people consuming 4k content, but i wouldnt assume its the norm.

Then we have the added costs of computer upgrades, if you are a mac user very likely you need to upgrade your laptop entirely. Extra hard drives, extra cards, extra everything.

marco1974 Senior Member • Posts: 1,915
I couldn't care less

I haven't shot 1min of video in years.

And, honestly, who needs 6k video when there are no 6k displays around? Or, let me guess, is this about cropping after the fact, a bit like in stills? So, it really boils down to getting away with sloppy framing and /or using the wrong lens to begin with?

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
SpeedyNeo
SpeedyNeo Contributing Member • Posts: 548

yayatosorus wrote:

Good, that will make it likely more affordable.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T3 | Fujifilm X-E3 | XF16mmF1.4 | XF35mmF1.4 | XF90mmF2 | XF18-55mmF2.8-4 | Fujifilm FinePix XP140

SpeedyNeo's gear list:SpeedyNeo's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
Re: I couldn't care less

Well that's an argument I heard quite often, the only issue with this is, that with the current state of things, the 4K files we're getting from the Fuji X cameras are down-sampled 6K captures - which provides much sharper files. Now if Fuji wanted to provide good 6K (which right now is a tad overkill) they'd need to down-sample that from an 8K capture, thus meaning a bigger MP sensor (which brings its fair share of issues), or provide us the 6K readout from the sensor - but it'll be softer. And with the current state of things - especially the IBIS coming to help with the stabilization - I'm not sure there is that much need for 6K. If Fuji brings out a higher MP body, sure that can be an interesting byproduct.

Fuji Maine Contributing Member • Posts: 706

I don't own a TV, I haven't even ever seen a color TV. I don't think anyone needs color. All these people who demand higher resolution video are the same people who thought we needed better quality than cassette and they're still doing me just fine. As for the camera, I'm sticking with film. I'm not upgrading my compaq presario just for these fancy new digital pictures.

Heinz Senior Member • Posts: 1,738
Who the heck needs 6K?

Most poeple not even need 4K. In cinema we watch 2K most of the time. So whats the point? A friend is filmmaker, he states, that most clients don't ask for 4K. It's mostly only required in bigger productions. Also important to know : The numbers say exactly NOTHING about the achievable image quality. Many cheap 4K cameras not even achieve HD quality. Fuji X-T3 has the best 1080P among consumer cameras and very good 4K. I'm sure the X-T4 won't be worse.

Clive99 Contributing Member • Posts: 825

Miguel-C wrote:

jjz2 wrote:

Clive99 wrote:

I wouldnt say its mainstream, 4k monitors are still niche and mostly used by designers and creators. I dont know a single person with a 4k monitor. Many Netflix users use lower resolutions, same thing for youtube.

There are tons of people consuming 4k content, but i wouldnt assume its the norm.

Then we have the added costs of computer upgrades, if you are a mac user very likely you need to upgrade your laptop entirely. Extra hard drives, extra cards, extra everything.

I use a wide gamut 2.5K/1440 monitor for photo editing and yes, I would agree it's is much better for stills editing than 2K/1080P. It is also colour calibrated - which is more important IMHO - I would never use a cheap TV as a monitor.  A quality wide gamut 4K monitor is still $$$.   Windows has had a whole bunch of teething problems working with 4K, so I don't expect 6 or 8K to go smoothly. For video, I couldn't care less.

Clive99's gear list:Clive99's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 +17 more

Having cutting edge tech is great, but at what cost?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads