The trend continues

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,070
Re: The trend continues

TOF guy wrote:

Mister Anders0n wrote:

Well, I'm not buying either camera, but by what I've read online, people are psyched for the 1DXIII and PO'd about the D6.

I can only speak for myself: I was disappointed that the rumor that the D6 would have IBIS turned out to be incorrect.

Also, Canon has the EOS R5 coming out which sounds phenomenal. Where's Nikon's answer to that?

A Z9 or whatever you want to call it.

I wouldn't expect IBIS on a top end pro camera. It is not a panacea and and the shutter speeds of most action shots doesn't really accomplish much.

Here is a part of a thread about it quoting Thom Hogan

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3014895

-- hide signature --
 BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 +15 more
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,603

BGD300V1 wrote:

I wouldn't expect IBIS on a top end pro camera.

It extends the range of shutter speed for which the camera can handheld, therefore it has its place in a top end pro camera.

It is not a panacea

Nothing is: neither IBIS nor in-camera metering nor AF, but all 3 today should be in a pro dSLR.

and the shutter speeds of most action shots doesn't really accomplish much.

Here is a part of a thread about it quoting Thom Hogan

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3014895

We don't always have the luxury of high shutter speeds. And while the D# are geared more towards action they remain very polyvalent tools that can be used for everything.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
VBLondon Senior Member • Posts: 1,502
Re: Two pictures are worth a truckload of words

Just Nick wrote:

I work using 4k screen. All of these shots look great to me.
(Nikon D700 and lens 28-105 AF-D)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/58919412@N00/

They look more than great. They are fantastic!

I have never said I can take a better picture with a new lens than another guy with an old lens. I literally wouldn't know how to take pictures as good as the ones you've shared in that link.

All I know is that if I take a picture with an AFD and then with a Z, the Z looks better to me. But a few years back I might not have noticed on a lower res screen etc.

VBLondon's gear list:VBLondon's gear list
Nikon Z6
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,627

Veloster75 wrote:

Nikon really needs to knock one out of the park with their next Z. I sold my Z7 because the tracking just wasn't there. The next Z must have a Sony a9 like tracking system, dual UHS II slots and they'll be in the ballpark.

That would be too little, too late I'm afraid. You think Sony is standing still? lol

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Just Nick
Just Nick Regular Member • Posts: 230

Thanks for your comments!
Actually what makes the difference to me is an almost 3D pop that i get from the combination of the specific camera (D700) and my AF-D lenses.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58919412@N00/48475757017/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/58919412@N00/49523322247/in/dateposted-public/

I Used to shoot with D750 and D800e.I know it is hard for someone to believe but i sold both when i realized that my D700 with my Ai-s and AF-D lenses are the perfect combination for my needs

Just Nick's gear list:Just Nick's gear list
Nikon D700
BGD300V1

And yet at the high end folks will get both a high MP camera and something in the 20-24MP range.

At the level of the D6 and it's general functionality IBIS isn't worth the effort.

In a lot of cases the "need" for more focus points, more megapixels, more built-in settings and other functions require more and more processing and memory and higher bus speeds.

Great marketing though, the camera with EVERYTHING.

-- hide signature --

BGD300V1 wrote:

And yet at the high end folks will get both a high MP camera and something in the 20-24MP range.

This statement is too general IMO.

Event or wedding photographers are also the target of the D# series, have little interest in high MP cameras, and many would love to have IBIS.

Just an example.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
rokoko
rokoko Senior Member • Posts: 1,356

Just Nick wrote:

Thanks for your comments!
Actually what makes the difference to me is an almost 3D pop that i get from the combination of the specific camera (D700) and my AF-D lenses.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58919412@N00/48475757017/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/58919412@N00/49523322247/in/dateposted-public/

I Used to shoot with D750 and D800e.I know it is hard for someone to believe but i sold both when i realized that my D700 with my Ai-s and AF-D lenses are the perfect combination for my needs

Unfortunately not everyone can understand and appreciate the beauty of D glasses with a larger sensor pixel.

rokoko's gear list:rokoko's gear list
Nikon D850 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7
Toby43 Contributing Member • Posts: 583

All D lenses work well with 24mp sensors. Better lenses don’t make you a better photographer.

Toby43's gear list:Toby43's gear list
Ricoh GR II Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
BGD300V1

TOF guy wrote:

BGD300V1 wrote:

Event or wedding photographers are also the target of the D# series, have little interest in high MP cameras, and many would love to have IBIS.

Just an example.

Yep, and they probably drive an F350.

-- hide signature --

BGD300V1 wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

BGD300V1 wrote:

Just an example.

Do they now ? 

-- hide signature --

Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 7,714

TOF guy wrote:

BGD300V1 wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

BGD300V1 wrote:

Just an example.

Do they now ?

Well, count me in for ibis on any body. I absolutely love it.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads