No wonder Sony did not bother...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,202
Re: No wonder Sony did not bother...

SQLGuy wrote:

I highly doubt it was anything but intentional. Just as they were suddenly able to offer additional focus zones and adapted lens Eye AF in the III models, but not before then on cameras using the same processors as their predecessors.

About the only benefit of the doubt I can throw to Sony, and I think this is the likely case, is that they maybe didn't explicitly cripple anything, but simply prioritized "good enough" functionality above the cutoff lines for each release, did a bit of extra work (like adding, enabling, maybe just testing, adapted Eye AF), but then didn't prioritize any work to backport the functionality to older cameras that probably could support it.

I am guffawing at the notion that the most technologically advanced camera maker couldn't do any better than the abysmal functionality of the LA-EAx adapters. FFS, 3rd party companies have been able to get more functionality out of their adapters to non Sony glass than Sony has to Sony A mount stuff. You can be more modest and measured but I'll be blunt- it's a complete joke. Couple that with the higher than average price barrier of zooms actually worth buying and it all feels very intentional.

I can only imagine what PWPhotography would say if Canikon's first constant aperture zoom were as terrible as the 24-70/4, or any of their L primes had the QC problems of the 35 1.4 ZA. All the camera tech in the world can't overcome lenses that are either bad or unafforable. His 5 figure investment shows what you need to spend to have a comprehensively enjoyable experience in the Sony FE system.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,546

Philnw2 wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

tqlla wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

Nope there is a compromised as you already admitted, more or less. Longer FL, more compromises as nobody shoot Canon long EF lenses on R bodies in sport and wildlife except for testing purposes.

That's a limitation of the camera, not the fact that they are adapted lenses.

LOL. As I said let wait and see when R5 released that adapted lenses can shoot full 20fps with full AF/AE? I know you have a wishful thinking. Hope you will get a R5 and test then but I will not count on it

The fact that Canon supports all of their current EF lenses via adapter with full AF and AFC is a big win for Canon vs Sony, in the transitional user support department.

But it has compromise, more or less. Let's wait to see AF-C tracking with EF long lenses especially super-tele lenses adapted on R5. I don't believe that hype. Sooner or later Canon and Nikon also have to design and release native RF and Z long lenses to fully leverage potential of their future ML 1Dx III and D6 cameras.

Sony has constantly thrown hurdles in the way of migrating users. 3FPS, no AFC in video, 10 year old AF for the LA-EA4. In fact they only allowed for the additional AF-zones with the LA-EA3+A7iii, because they were "Forced to" by Canon.

Probably the original design limits that. I don't have any Sony A-mount history. I moved from Canon FF DSLR.

The LA-EA2 was released in 2012. At that time, the A55 AF module it used was not that old, but was still a lower end offering. The LA-EA4 was released in 2013, using the same APS-C AF module as the LA-EA2. This despite the fact that the A99 had been out for about a year. That looks quite clearly intentional that Sony did not want to make the adapters too attractive or functional. Yes, it's limited by design. Quite intentionally. Not limited by technology or even by already available components.

The bigger insult to A mount customers is that they haven't done anything new about adapters in the last seven years... other than one LA-EA3 firmware update to ensure faster functionality for some lenses on only the A9.

They also ignored legitimate bugs. To me the most glaring example is handling of AF assist flashes with the LA-EA2/4. AF assist flashes work fine with the AF modules in these adapters, but Sony's firmware disables them. It makes sense that the AF assist pattern is disabled for other situations, but the camera certainly knows when an LA-EA2 or 4 is in use and should not be disabling the AF assist in this case.

Also its shady that Sony only allows for adapted 10FPS with the A9. Whereas Sigma and Metabones can 10FPS and video AFC for many lenses on the A7iii.

I highly doubt intentionally but just limited by technology. Anyway I have replaced entire EF lenses to FE counterparts (only missing is future FE 500/4.0 GM). I strongly believe native mount lenses. The same as Canon and Nikon are also rushing out native RF and Z lenses.

I highly doubt it was anything but intentional. Just as they were suddenly able to offer additional focus zones and adapted lens Eye AF in the III models, but not before then on cameras using the same processors as their predecessors.

About the only benefit of the doubt I can throw to Sony, and I think this is the likely case, is that they maybe didn't explicitly cripple anything, but simply prioritized "good enough" functionality above the cutoff lines for each release, did a bit of extra work (like adding, enabling, maybe just testing, adapted Eye AF), but then didn't prioritize any work to backport the functionality to older cameras that probably could support it.

There are emergency situations where the ability to turn on the camera's "flashlight" for illumination could be lifesaving. All Sony or any mfr would need is a "manual" mode for that AF illumination so that it could be turned on whenever needed. It was a real downer when i discovered on an early morning foggy day, that i was unable to focus my tripod mounted camera because there was no way to get the camera to turn on its light. So these days i carry a $5 flashlight because my 2015 A7rII $3200 camera was so poorly designed. Arrgh. Why don't reviewers mention oversights like this?

The most popular cameras in my 30 person photography club are the Fuji ones. The Fuji company has a deserved reputation for supporting their customers, AFTER the sale is made with frequent firmware updates. Sony, Canon, Nikon - not so much.

How would one tell that i'm shooting my Sony next to you - well i'm the one with a flashlight duct taped to the Sony camera. Not really - just kidding.

Please note that smart phones allow one to manually turn on its flashlight whenever desired. "Real" cameras are less smart.

Disabling the on-board assist lamp with adapters is annoying, too, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about disabling the flash-based, largely infrared, assist lamp in flashes like the HS5600(D). That lamp is very helpful for SLT AF, but the LA-EA4 doesn't get to take advantage of it.

The only Fuji I have is an S5 Pro, and I'm not, so far, thrilled, with the idea of having to find a used copy for purchase of their image editing software that requires Windows 98 or something. Other than that, it seems to be a pretty cool camera.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Kodak DCS460 +21 more
MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 3,858

SQLGuy wrote:

MILC man wrote:

tqlla wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

Nope there is a compromised as you already admitted, more or less. Longer FL, more compromises as nobody shoot Canon long EF lenses on R bodies in sport and wildlife except for testing purposes.

LOL. As I said let wait and see when R5 released that adapted lenses can shoot full 20fps with full AF/AE? I know you have a wishful thinking. Hope you will get a R5 and test then but I will not count on it

The fact that Canon supports all of their current EF lenses via adapter with full AF and AFC is a big win for Canon vs Sony, in the transitional user support department.

canon made ef-m incompatible with eos-r, that's not a win, it's a fail.

Meh. It's par for the course with Canon. They didn't want migration from EF-M and they didn't want people using EF-S lenses on EF bodies.

point is that it's par for the course for all companies to place arbitrary limits on compatibility.

constantly trying to single out sony, when sony is more compatible than canon, is rather ridiculous.

canon doesn't have crop eos-r, where is the canon milc path to ff? even Nikon has the z50 now.

Nikon doesn't have any screw-mount adapter for people migrating to z-mount.

As stated many times before, Nikon stopped using screw drive a long time ago (they never had a screw mount).

it's a screw-drive mechanism that mounts between lens and body, with no way to use it on z-mount.

never claimed that it was a lens mount.

Sony still has screw drive lenses in their lineup.

Nikon still sells brand new af-d lenses that require screw-drive, see four of 'em listed at b&h:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=274&fct=fct_brand_name%7cnikon%2bfct_lens-mount_3316%7cnikon%2bfct_lens-types-for-full-frame-cameras_3321%7cstandard%2bfct_a_focus-type_5738%7cautofocus%2bfct_lens-series_3327%7cnikon-af-d&N=4288584247

Nikon owners are not happy about it: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4324733

Nikon also doesn't support the use of screw drive lenses on their lower end F mount bodies.

exactly.

Sony still supports screw drive in the latest A68... not because they really want to, but because they never got around to replacing all the screw drive lenses in the catalog.

Nikon doesn't have any z-mount replacement for the 60/2.8D that's still for sale at b&h, they just arbitrarily chose to ignore their long-time customers.

the a68 is over 4 years old, sony should be commended for supporting screw-drive with the laea4, while Nikon bailed out of it completely, and left Nikon owners hanging.

Philnw2 wrote:

The most popular cameras in my 30 person photography club are the Fuji ones. The Fuji company has a deserved reputation for supporting their customers, AFTER the sale is made with frequent firmware updates. Sony, Canon, Nikon - not so much.

I would say that no camera company has ever made a comparable firmware update to this:

"Sony’s Biggest Firmware Update Ever is Here! Sony a9 Firmware Update 5.00 adds a whopping 34 New Features including Real Time Tracking and Real Time Eye AF!"

https://briansmith.com/sony-releases-a9-firmware-update-5-00/

we are now on firmware v6 for the a9.

How would one tell that i'm shooting my Sony next to you - well i'm the one with a flashlight duct taped to the Sony camera. Not really - just kidding.

the latest sony flash has an led light, people don't have to carry a flashlight any more

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 27,478

Lan wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Canon and Nikon have both built an enormous customer base of DSLR users, to the extent that Sony never had in the first place. The strategy of those companies going forward cannot be the same bridge burning strategy that Sony employed. They have to move more carefully.

To be fair Canon killed FD with EF, and it looks like they've killed EF-M with RF - or if they haven't their migration strategy is exceedingly opaque

That was the genius of Sony. To use the same lens mount for both APS-C and Full-Frame.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Sony a7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +3 more

sportyaccordy wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

I am guffawing at the notion that the most technologically advanced camera maker couldn't do any better than the abysmal functionality of the LA-EAx adapters.

attacking sony over something that no other company has? seriously?

nikon doesn't make screw-drive adapters, and neither does pentax, which is the ultimate definition of abysmal functionality.

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,390

captura wrote:

Lan wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Canon and Nikon have both built an enormous customer base of DSLR users, to the extent that Sony never had in the first place. The strategy of those companies going forward cannot be the same bridge burning strategy that Sony employed. They have to move more carefully.

To be fair Canon killed FD with EF, and it looks like they've killed EF-M with RF - or if they haven't their migration strategy is exceedingly opaque

That was the genius of Sony. To use the same lens mount for both APS-C and Full-Frame.

Its nice to be able to move from APSC to FF.  But even if you had the ability to do so, does it even make sense to use EOS-M lenses on an EOS-R?

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a99 II Sony a7R III Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more

tqlla wrote:

MILC man wrote:

tqlla wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

Sony has constantly thrown hurdles in the way of migrating users. 3FPS, no AFC in video,

a-mount has had limitations all along, like fixed f/3.5 aperture with af in video mode... it's been well-documented, see this link from 2011:

"A65/A77: Why 3.5 aperture limit in video?"

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3115946

I would have expected that a-mount owners were already aware of that.

Yeah, and it was explained as a nonsense limitation in the post you quoted, but you conveniently left that part out.

"explained"? like a-mount fail modes somehow aren't relevant to e-mount compatibility complaints?

no, a-mount is well past it's sell-by date, sony has gone above and beyond trying to make it relevant to milc.

a-mount is going the way of dslrs, so get over it.

10 year old AF for the LA-EA4. In fact they only allowed for the additional AF-zones with the LA-EA3+A7iii, because they were "Forced to" by Canon.

no, canon still limits the af area size in dslrs, even with the new 1dxmk3.

why didn't canikon expand the af area with the their latest dslrs?

Your response has nothing to do with this conversation.

canon didn't "force" sony to do anything, that claim was wrong, canon technology flat-out isn't advanced enough these days.

the lack of innovation with canon dslr af is proof of that.

Also its shady that Sony only allows for adapted 10FPS with the A9. Whereas Sigma and Metabones can 10FPS and video AFC for many lenses on the A7iii.

it's more shady that Nikon totally abandoned it's own screw-drive lens owners with the z-mount milc bodies, that canon made ef-m incompatible with eos-r, etc.

It sounds like you dont know this, EOS-M is APSC and already mirrorless.

it sounds like you don't know that eos-m glass can't be used on eos-r, even after I just posted it.

fine... you want to hear it from people who actually own the gear?

"Now we have EOS R that is not compatible with EOS M in both ways of RF-to-M and M-to-R." https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4315777

you brought up canon like it's some kind of pinnacle of compatibility, when in fact canon is a disaster, for example canon is currently trying to support four different lens mounts, that are not all interchangeable.

Nikon doesnt have a large contingent of current screw drive lenses, whereas 1/3 of the A-mount lenses CURRENTLY on Sony's website are screw driven.

because sony supports screw-drive, Nikon doesn't.

PWPhotography Veteran Member • Posts: 9,630

sportyaccordy wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

I am guffawing at the notion that the most technologically advanced camera maker couldn't do any better than the abysmal functionality of the LA-EAx adapters. FFS, 3rd party companies have been able to get more functionality out of their adapters to non Sony glass than Sony has to Sony A mount stuff. You can be more modest and measured but I'll be blunt- it's a complete joke. Couple that with the higher than average price barrier of zooms actually worth buying and it all feels very intentional.

I can only imagine what PWPhotography would say if Canikon's first constant aperture zoom were as terrible as the 24-70/4, or any of their L primes had the QC problems of the 35 1.4 ZA.

I didn't buy either one. Instead I adapted EF 24-70L/2.8 II on Sony bodies, either MF on A7r and AF-S and eye-AF work great from A7r II and above. And then I bought Tamron FE 28-75/2.8 , very happy. I bought Sigma 35/1.4 Art instead. Guess eventually it will be replaced by Sigma FE 35/1.2 Art. But portrait is not my main area so no hurry. I read all reviews before any purchases.

All the camera tech in the world can't overcome lenses that are either bad or unafforable. His 5 figure investment shows what you need to spend to have a comprehensively enjoyable experience in the Sony FE system.

Well since Sony FE system is so promising I have invested far more than I ever did with Canon EF system over 10 years. RF lenses are also very expensive, not cheaper than Sony counterparts actually. You actually can get much cheaper third party alternatives on FE system, such as Sigma FE 24-70/2.8 Art which is less than half price of Canon RF 24-70L/2.8.

Anyway since EOS R seems working for you now, just be happy and take photos rather keep complaining.  No need to keep coming back to bash the system you had abandoned.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +18 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,202

PWPhotography wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

I am guffawing at the notion that the most technologically advanced camera maker couldn't do any better than the abysmal functionality of the LA-EAx adapters. FFS, 3rd party companies have been able to get more functionality out of their adapters to non Sony glass than Sony has to Sony A mount stuff. You can be more modest and measured but I'll be blunt- it's a complete joke. Couple that with the higher than average price barrier of zooms actually worth buying and it all feels very intentional.

I can only imagine what PWPhotography would say if Canikon's first constant aperture zoom were as terrible as the 24-70/4, or any of their L primes had the QC problems of the 35 1.4 ZA.

I didn't buy either one. Instead I adapted EF 24-70L/2.8 II on Sony bodies, either MF on A7r and AF-S and eye-AF work great from A7r II and above. And then I bought Tamron FE 28-75/2.8 , very happy. I bought Sigma 35/1.4 Art instead. Guess eventually it will be replaced by Sigma FE 35/1.2 Art. But portrait is not my main area so no hurry. I read all reviews before any purchases.

All the camera tech in the world can't overcome lenses that are either bad or unafforable. His 5 figure investment shows what you need to spend to have a comprehensively enjoyable experience in the Sony FE system.

Well since Sony FE system is so promising I have invested far more than I ever did with Canon EF system over 10 years. RF lenses are also very expensive, not cheaper than Sony counterparts actually. You actually can get much cheaper third party alternatives on FE system, such as Sigma FE 24-70/2.8 Art which is less than half price of Canon RF 24-70L/2.8.

Anyway since EOS R seems working for you now, just be happy and take photos rather keep complaining. No need to keep coming back to bash the system you had abandoned.

I'm not bashing anything. This thread topic is interesting to me and is relevant to my past and current experiences. If you don't like what I have to say keep scrolling. Nobody is forcing you to read my posts or reply point by point

I think Canon is shining a light on some opportunities for Sony to improve. There is a large market of people who want cameras for more than spec battling on the internet. If the R6/R5 are what their specs indicate they will be they will take a lot of wind out of Sony's sails.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
PWPhotography Veteran Member • Posts: 9,630

sportyaccordy wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

Anyway since EOS R seems working for you now, just be happy and take photos rather keep complaining. No need to keep coming back to bash the system you had abandoned.

I'm not bashing anything. This thread topic is interesting to me and is relevant to my past and current experiences. If you don't like what I have to say keep scrolling. Nobody is forcing you to read my posts or reply point by point

funny is that it's you jumped on my post first in this thread if you checked.

I think Canon is shining a light on some opportunities for Sony to improve. There is a large market of people who want cameras for more than spec battling on the internet. If the R6/R5 are what their specs indicate they will be they will take a lot of wind out of Sony's sails.

I don't get that a few like you already switched. Supposedly you should enjoy your new system. But instead you frequently coming back to bash your old system.  Lacking of confidence?  What you wanted? You want Sony apologize you and give free GM lenses? Do RF lenses especially fast f1.2 portrait lenses cost less? Thanks there are so many choices so we choose whatever fit us the best.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +18 more

MILC man wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

MILC man wrote:

tqlla wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

Meh. It's par for the course with Canon. They didn't want migration from EF-M and they didn't want people using EF-S lenses on EF bodies.

point is that it's par for the course for all companies to place arbitrary limits on compatibility.

constantly trying to single out sony, when sony is more compatible than canon, is rather ridiculous.

canon doesn't have crop eos-r, where is the canon milc path to ff? even Nikon has the z50 now.

As stated many times before, Nikon stopped using screw drive a long time ago (they never had a screw mount).

it's a screw-drive mechanism that mounts between lens and body, with no way to use it on z-mount.

Nikon still sells brand new af-d lenses that require screw-drive, see four of 'em listed at b&h:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=274&fct=fct_brand_name%7cnikon%2bfct_lens-mount_3316%7cnikon%2bfct_lens-types-for-full-frame-cameras_3321%7cstandard%2bfct_a_focus-type_5738%7cautofocus%2bfct_lens-series_3327%7cnikon-af-d&N=4288584247

No. B&H still has NOS Nikon screw drive lenses available. They are not in Nikon's current catalog, which is here:

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/f-mount/

Sony, on the other hand, still has a bunch of non-SAM, non-SSM, lenses, here:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/lenses/t/camera-lenses?cameramount=a-mount&sensor-lens=35mm-full-frame

Nikon owners are not happy about it: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4324733

Sure. Some Nikon owners aren't happy about it. And hope that Sony, or somebody, will offer a screw drive adapter eventually. There's still the facts that Nikon had a lot less (basically zero) recent screw drive lenses and the functionality provided for the non screw drive lenses on their adapter is better than LA-EA3 offers on any A7 series camera for the handful of lenses it supports.

Nikon also doesn't support the use of screw drive lenses on their lower end F mount bodies.

exactly.

Sony still supports screw drive in the latest A68... not because they really want to, but because they never got around to replacing all the screw drive lenses in the catalog.

Nikon doesn't have any z-mount replacement for the 60/2.8D that's still for sale at b&h, they just arbitrarily chose to ignore their long-time customers.

the a68 is over 4 years old, sony should be commended for supporting screw-drive with the laea4, while Nikon bailed out of it completely, and left Nikon owners hanging.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Kodak DCS460 +21 more

captura wrote:

Lan wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

yes, it gives the same path to ff that canikon, pentax, etc., have been using for years.

buy a crop body, use ff lenses on it, then add a ff body later.

sony of course made it more compatible than canon did with dslrs, because you generally can't use an ef-s on a ff ef-mount body, the mirror can get in the way.

SQLGuy wrote:

MILC man wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

MILC man wrote:

tqlla wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

No. B&H still has NOS Nikon screw drive lenses available. They are not in Nikon's current catalog, which is here:

because they are nos, aka new old stock, which isn't going to be listed in the catalog.

nikon is still selling 'em via distributors, which is why they have a nikon warranty:

"Limited 1-Year Warranty
Limited 4-Year USA Warranty Extension with Online Registration"

if it was b&h buying up nos glass, there wouldn't be any manufacturer warranty.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/lenses/t/camera-lenses?cameramount=a-mount&sensor-lens=35mm-full-frame

yes, because sony still supports a-mount, Nikon doesn't.

that just proves my point.

Sure. Some Nikon owners aren't happy about it. And hope that Sony, or somebody, will offer a screw drive adapter eventually. There's still the facts that Nikon had a lot less (basically zero) recent screw drive lenses

see above...

and the functionality provided for the non screw drive lenses on their adapter is better than LA-EA3 offers on any A7 series camera for the handful of lenses it supports.

1) nikon shut down the v1 series line,

2) nikon shut down the keymission cameras,

3) nikon does not support their own screw-drive af.

that's the history of nikon, they are willing to leave customers in the lurch.

MILC man wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

MILC man wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

MILC man wrote:

tqlla wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

because they are nos, aka new old stock, which isn't going to be listed in the catalog.\

New old stock means that the dealer still has them new, even though the manufacturer doesn't make them anymore. The dealer bought a bunch, and either didn't sell them as quickly as they expected, or got a better deal by buying them at closeout prices and just intended to sell them slowly, as they could. Yes, they still have warranties. They're genuine Nikon lenses being sold by an authorized Nikon dealer. The fact that B&H has had them in its stock for years after Nikon discontinued them doesn't affect the warranty. They're also pointedly NOT CURRENT PRODUCT, as opposed to the Sony screw drive lenses that are currently listed in their catalog.

You can go into photo shops in San Francisco and buy NOS Sigma and Tamron lenses that haven't been made since the '90s.

nikon is still selling 'em via distributors, which is why they have a nikon warranty:

"Limited 1-Year Warranty

Good for you.

My point was that Nikon discontinued screw drive lenses a long time ago and their current catalog is all in-lens-motor lenses. Nikon's FTZ supports their current, and even recent, lenses much better than Sony supports their current lenses with the LA-EA adapters.

Sure. Some Nikon owners aren't happy about it. And hope that Sony, or somebody, will offer a screw drive adapter eventually. There's still the facts that Nikon had a lot less (basically zero) recent screw drive lenses

see above...

and the functionality provided for the non screw drive lenses on their adapter is better than LA-EA3 offers on any A7 series camera for the handful of lenses it supports.

So? Will Sony make another RX full frame? Will Sony make another A mount camera?

So? Will Sony make any more QX cameras? Really, who cares.

Yes, they do, in current FX and DX DSLR bodies. Which they still seem to be supporting and making, unlike A mount that seems to be the walking dead.

Sorry, but I don't see it the way you do. I think Sony has done a worse job of supporting A mount owners than Nikon has done for their F mount customers. Screw drive is not nearly as important to the Nikon lens lineup as it is to the A mount lens lineup.

By the way, your other comment about Canikon providing a path from APS-C to full frame is also wrong. Nikon does, but Canon designed their APS-C DSLR mount specifically so that APS-C lenses could not be used on full frame cameras.

Look, I appreciate that you're a fan of Sony. I don't mean that in a bad way. I think a lot of people here just like to bash Sony unfairly, because they have only been making serious stills cameras about 15 years, or because they once owned a Discman, or whatever. I like Sony. I like my Sony cameras, but I don't give them a free pass on everything they do. I know that they make decisions because they feel the overall result will be best for their bottom line, but that doesn't mean I have to like them or ignore them. A lot of what they do still seems like shortsighted product management and bad cultivation of what should be a long-term customer base.

-- hide signature --

SQLGuy wrote:

MILC man wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

MILC man wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

MILC man wrote:

tqlla wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

because they are nos, aka new old stock, which isn't going to be listed in the catalog.\

New old stock means that the dealer still has them new, even though the manufacturer doesn't make them anymore. The dealer bought a bunch, and either didn't sell them as quickly as they expected, or got a better deal by buying them at closeout prices and just intended to sell them slowly, as they could. Yes, they still have warranties. They're genuine Nikon lenses being sold by an authorized Nikon dealer. The fact that B&H has had them in its stock for years after Nikon discontinued them doesn't affect the warranty. They're also pointedly NOT CURRENT PRODUCT, as opposed to the Sony screw drive lenses that are currently listed in their catalog.

yes, because sony supports screw-drive, Nikon doesn't.

you are just proving my point.

You can go into photo shops in San Francisco and buy NOS Sigma and Tamron lenses that haven't been made since the '90s.

"Limited 1-Year Warranty

Good for you.

My point was that Nikon discontinued screw drive lenses a long time ago and their current catalog is all in-lens-motor lenses. Nikon's FTZ supports their current, and even recent, lenses much better than Sony supports their current lenses with the LA-EA adapters.

no, Nikon does not support their gear better than sony does, as proven by the fact that e-mount has a bigger and better lens selection.

Nikon does not want 3rd-party lens manufacturers to be making competitive products, that's why there isn't any Nikon version of this: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201102/11-018E/

canikon and Panasonic are like facebook, they created walled gardens that limit participation.

see above...

So? Will Sony make another RX full frame? Will Sony make another A mount camera?

sony still sells rx and a-mount bodies, Nikon does not sell v1 series gear, because Nikon does not support what it makes, it discontinues products instead, because they save money doing that.

it's not complicated.

keymission owners who want to repair their gear?

Yes, they do, in current FX and DX DSLR bodies.

no, Nikon has a history of not including screw-drive support in some camera bodies.

Which they still seem to be supporting and making, unlike A mount that seems to be the walking dead.

a-mount bodies and lenses are still for sale from sony, where is the Nikon screw-drive support?

Sorry, but I don't see it the way you do. I think Sony has done a worse job of supporting A mount owners than Nikon has done for their F mount customers. Screw drive is not nearly as important to the Nikon lens lineup as it is to the A mount lens lineup.

"more important"? a-mount doesn't do anything for e-mount lenses, so that claim doesn't make sense.

e-mount owners do not need a-mount.

By the way, your other comment about Canikon providing a path from APS-C to full frame is also wrong. Nikon does, but Canon designed their APS-C DSLR mount specifically so that APS-C lenses could not be used on full frame cameras.

no, that's wrong, as I already made clear, when you own a crop body you can plan for a ff transition by buying ff lenses.

putting crop glass on ff is not the end goal for ff owners, it's just a bandaid for a crippled situation, it's not a transition to anything.

Look, I appreciate that you're a fan of Sony. I don't mean that in a bad way. I think a lot of people here just like to bash Sony unfairly, because they have only been making serious stills cameras about 15 years, or because they once owned a Discman, or whatever. I like Sony. I like my Sony cameras, but I don't give them a free pass on everything they do. I know that they make decisions because they feel the overall result will be best for their bottom line, but that doesn't mean I have to like them or ignore them. A lot of what they do still seems like shortsighted product management and bad cultivation of what should be a long-term customer base.

I've been very vocal about what sony screws up, like the lousy hard rubber eyecup, the terrible shutter buttons that don't have a discernable half-press point, their refusal to make a better version of the laea4, etc.

this conversation is about the reality of canikon failing to support their own gear, sony does a better job of that… it's clear that sony not developing a-mount any further hit a nerve with you, but it's an obsolete format that is too expensive to manufacture.

OP Jonneymendoza2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,043

Canons only hope to compete with Sony is to up sale that dinosaur 1dx3 and put that spec on a mirrorless and charge 3k max for it.

I doubt they will as they are afraid to upset the 1dx3 and cinaline segment.

And even if they do. Why would any Sony shooter jump ship? Its a side step at best.

Many who jumped to Sony was because of Sony being first mirrorless full frame body and tech ever.

Canon is simply catching up. That is all.

The next reason why any of us should truly switch systems is for global shutter full frame cameras. The

MILC man wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

MILC man wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

MILC man wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

MILC man wrote:

tqlla wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

yes, because sony supports screw-drive, Nikon doesn't.

you are just proving my point.

"Limited 1-Year Warranty

Good for you.

no, Nikon does not support their gear better than sony does, as proven by the fact that e-mount has a bigger and better lens selection.

Nikon does not want 3rd-party lens manufacturers to be making competitive products, that's why there isn't any Nikon version of this: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201102/11-018E/

canikon and Panasonic are like facebook, they created walled gardens that limit participation.

see above...

sony still sells rx and a-mount bodies, Nikon does not sell v1 series gear, because Nikon does not support what it makes, it discontinues products instead, because they save money doing that.

it's not complicated.

keymission owners who want to repair their gear?

Yes, they do, in current FX and DX DSLR bodies.

no, Nikon has a history of not including screw-drive support in some camera bodies.

Which they still seem to be supporting and making, unlike A mount that seems to be the walking dead.

a-mount bodies and lenses are still for sale from sony, where is the Nikon screw-drive support?

Who cares about what Nikon is doing?  They have made a lot of missteps and its showing.  Is that the example you want Sony to follow?

Without competition, Sony has been in a position of strength, so they could afford to care less about their customers.  But with Canon gearing up, Sony should value the customers they have been ignoring.

Also, I am not sure why you get upset that people want Sony to better support their A-mount customers.   Whats wrong with wanting better support, when we know Sony can do better.   Its pretty shameful that they lock LA-EA3 features behind an A9 paywall.

Sony RX1R II Sony a99 II Sony a7R III Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more

tqlla wrote:

Who cares about what Nikon is doing?

the o.p. opened that door when he brought up canikon in the first post to this thread.

it's also necessary to make certain posters understand how much better sony is with legacy compatibility.

They have made a lot of missteps and its showing. Is that the example you want Sony to follow?

Without competition, Sony has been in a position of strength, so they could afford to care less about their customers. But with Canon gearing up, Sony should value the customers they have been ignoring.

once again, we'll point out that constantly crying about a-mount has nothing to do with eos-r, or d6/1dxmk3.

and as the o.p. already stated: "I cant blame sony for just doing small updates on it as they probably knew the 1x3/d6 would barely be a upgrade to the previous version of those cameras(which the original A9 already blew away)"

that is a factual statement of truth, nobody is going to be leaving the a9 for the d6/1dxmk3; it's so primitive that canikon couldn't even increase the size of the af area on those dslrs.

people who actually own the a9 understand that.

Also, I am not sure why you get upset that people want Sony to better support their A-mount customers. Whats wrong with wanting better support, when we know Sony can do better. Its pretty shameful that they lock LA-EA3 features behind an A9 paywall.

no, sony enabled advanced focusing capabilities with the laea3/3rd-gen a7 bodies.

a-mount has been a crippled format all along, the f/3.5 fixed aperture limit with af/video mode is absolutely ridiculous, and it has nothing to do with e-mount.

MILC man wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Who cares about what Nikon is doing?

the o.p. opened that door when he brought up canikon in the first post to this thread.

it's also necessary to make certain posters understand how much better sony is with legacy compatibility.

Either way, Sony needs to worry about Canon not Nikon. Comparing Sony to Nikon.... is not a good thing, at the moment. (Hopefully Nikon will rebound).

Also, I am not sure why you get upset that people want Sony to better support their A-mount customers. Whats wrong with wanting better support, when we know Sony can do better. Its pretty shameful that they lock LA-EA3 features behind an A9 paywall.

no, sony enabled advanced focusing capabilities with the laea3/3rd-gen a7 bodies.

And when did they release firmware 2.0 (For the A7iii/A7Riii) to enable those focusing capabilities? October 2018, the same time the EOS R was released. I am sure that was just a coincidence.

a-mount has been a crippled format all along, the f/3.5 fixed aperture limit with af/video mode is absolutely ridiculous, and it has nothing to do with e-mount.

The Fixed F3.5 aperture limit is just another example of how Sony has purposefully crippled A-mount users, and users who want to migrate. They treat their oldest ILC customers with disdain.

Metabones and Sigma has more features with EF mount lenses than the Sony's LA-EA3.   And even still Sony hides adapter features behind an A9 paywall, and imo its shameful.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads