No wonder Sony did not bother...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
PWPhotography Veteran Member • Posts: 9,608
Re: No wonder Sony did not bother...

SQLGuy wrote:

The Davinator wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

I don't think either company yet has a sensor that can compete with the A9/A9II. I do think they (and even Sony) could achieve very competitive performance with their adapters and adapted lenses, but with Nikon and Canon's current level of sensor-based AF, they could not deliver a mirrorless flagship that would even be close in sports shooting performance to their current DLSRs.

Maybe Nikon can buy the A9 sensor. I'm sure Canon is working diligently to achieve something similar to what the stacked sensor can provide. Sounds like they're getting close with the 1Dx3 sensor.

I would bet that 2024 Olympics will be all-mirrorless, though.

It appears working pros don't care. They have the tools that get the job done...and regardless of sensor, the a9 is just not of interest to them. I am curious to see what the next pro iteration looks like from Canon and Nikon. For now, I'll stick with my F5 😜...but I may add a D5 for fun.

What do you base this statement on? And what does the previous generation, 25 year old, Nikon film camera have to do with this conversation?

I saw a number of A9s in the hands of Superbowl photographers. Are you saying Sony isn't selling A9s to "working photographers" at all? I don't think that's true, but, other than ones I see on TV in obvious actual use by working photographers at sporting events, I don't have any well to tell for sure.

I don't think Sony expected pros with tens of thousands of dollars invested in their current gear to just wholesale switch. I do think they expect those shooting very fast action, with high competition for fast submission (e.g. Olympics), or in environments where silence is a big plus (e.g. pro golf), to start looking at whether their current tools really do get the job done well enough, or whether an A9 could give them an extra edge.

I have seen the trend.  In my recent trip to the Chilean Patagonia area, I saw many tourists like me to carry and shoot with Sony ML cameras now.

Even Canon and Nikon now are focusing on their respective ML not DSLRs.  They just don't want to and cannot kill their used-to-be cashcow soon.  But longer delay to move to ML completely more confusing to their owners.  Sorry for Canikon owners that they have to  maintain two systems, two mounts for different purposes that is a pain.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +18 more
Mike Evangelist
Mike Evangelist Contributing Member • Posts: 520

If Canon delivers on what they teased today about the R5, things are going to get a bit more interesting later this year.

Mike Evangelist's gear list:Mike Evangelist's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN +5 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 23,225

SQLGuy wrote:

The Davinator wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

I don't think either company yet has a sensor that can compete with the A9/A9II. I do think they (and even Sony) could achieve very competitive performance with their adapters and adapted lenses, but with Nikon and Canon's current level of sensor-based AF, they could not deliver a mirrorless flagship that would even be close in sports shooting performance to their current DLSRs.

Maybe Nikon can buy the A9 sensor. I'm sure Canon is working diligently to achieve something similar to what the stacked sensor can provide. Sounds like they're getting close with the 1Dx3 sensor.

I would bet that 2024 Olympics will be all-mirrorless, though.

It appears working pros don't care. They have the tools that get the job done...and regardless of sensor, the a9 is just not of interest to them. I am curious to see what the next pro iteration looks like from Canon and Nikon. For now, I'll stick with my F5 😜...but I may add a D5 for fun.

What do you base this statement on? And what does the previous generation, 25 year old, Nikon film camera have to do with this conversation?

I base it upon my conversations with sports photographers in MLS and Canadian soccer.  I also base it upon interviews and what I see at games, both live, and ones I watch on Tv.  A sea of Canon and Nikon glass, and Sony mirrorless is barely a footnote.  What does the F5 have to do with the conversation?  It is what I use a fair bit in sports for b&w...and it is my personal choice...in my post.  I can mention what I use and don't need to explain it to you.

I saw a number of A9s in the hands of Superbowl photographers. Are you saying Sony isn't selling A9s to "working photographers" at all? I don't think that's true, but, other than ones I see on TV in obvious actual use by working photographers at sporting events, I don't have any well to tell for sure.

If by "a number" you mean three...then yes.  Sony use at sporting events is a rounding error in the calculations.  Sorry, but facts are facts.

I don't think Sony expected pros with tens of thousands of dollars invested in their current gear to just wholesale switch. I do think they expect those shooting very fast action, with high competition for fast submission (e.g. Olympics), or in environments where silence is a big plus (e.g. pro golf), to start looking at whether their current tools really do get the job done well enough, or whether an A9 could give them an extra edge.

And yet, they are still a rounding error after years.  In fact, we often see more film cameras at sporting event she than we do Sony mirrorless...

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 10D +17 more
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,658

PWPhotography wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

The Davinator wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

Honestsly why did canikon not go full mirrrorless and just tell those old school dslr sports shooters to just grab the adapters to adapt there super tele lenses?

the 1dx3 and d6 should have been mirrorless cameras from the get go

Why? Because the target market for that gear does not want it.

Exactly, as a current 1Dx and A7R2 user, I upgrade my 4 year old 7R2 to 7R4 just last week mainly for backpacking/hiking/landscape, still don't quite like the body ergonomic even it's already bigger with few more buttons and joy stick controller, but there is no better sensor elsewhere for the target application i am using it for, the 7R4 + few Loxia and Voigtlander really makes a killer backpacking landscape tool, so I will just use it.

Really you want every camera body as big as heavy as 1Dx and Dx series? You will know very clearly if need to lug 2 or even 3 bodies in hiking. You are the only one I have read in entire DPR forums still want ML to be big/heavy as 1Dx/Dx format. Good luck to count on Canon to deliver such 1Dx-format ML in future.

DSLR is a dinosaur that will be extincted in a matter of few years. The only reason Canon and Nikon continue 1Dx III and D6 are because they don't have technology ready as Sony implemented in A9/II. At least Canon if not Nikon as well already announced they will only develop new RF lenses.

I am so glad that I only need to maintain one system, one format for all purposes. I am not envy on persons like you to maintain multiple systems, multiple mounts, one for each purpose. I carried 3 bodies, A7r IV, A7r III and A9 into recent trip withe one set of lenses that can share each other among bodies, that versatility and flexibility you don't have with mixed systems and mounts. Factor/ergo/handling are all personal subjective. As an owner of Canon 1D III over a decade which is basically the same factor/ergo/handling of 1Dx II, I much prefer Sony bodies' factor/ergo/handling. I also use A9 as a landscape camera that something virtually no 1Dx II and D5 owners do to lug as 2nd or 3rd bodies into trips.

Years ago, a friend in a photo club showed me his new Sony A7r series camera. I later invited him and another friend to a cafe where we could compare our dslr's to his Sony. I was frankly "blown away" by his Sony A series camera. All 3 of us were taking authorized pictures in a local pro level live performance theater. The friend and I quickly dumped our DSLRs and bought the first A7rII when they came out. Never regretted changing and couldn't imagine going back to a DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +4 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,532

I'm not a pro. Let alone a sports shooting pro. Maybe you're right, and Canon and Nikon will continue making DSLRs for pro sports and that's all they'll use.

I do know, though, that some of the pro sports shooters are sponsored by the manufacturers. Obviously the point is to sell cameras. Sell pro cameras to organizations and non-sponsored independent photographers; sell pro cameras to amateurs that can afford them; sell enthusiast and lower line cameras to amateurs whose attention was caught by the first two tiers or pros using the higher end models. With their line-up of two years ago, I doubt Sony could have lured away any of the sponsored shooters - the lenses were just not there. What about now, though?

Nobody is trying to sell film cameras. The F6 was released in 2004. I'm impressed and happy that Nikon still makes and supports the F6 and F80, but there's no market that comes from this; not like the market that is driven and influenced by digital sports photography.

What I think is happening is that Sony is working hard to turn some top names to their side, with the plan to get the second tier to start buying into their pro lineup as well. Pros that own their own gear are certainly going to be less inclined to switch... what happens, though, when Canon and Nikon are offering their top tier stuff in mirrorless instead of DSLR?

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Nikon D200 NEX-5T Sony a7R II +21 more
OP Jonneymendoza2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,043

I've never seen a film camera in a sports event

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

What year now? 2020

Personally I don't care what those sport PJs shooting in fields which not directly related to me. My A9 still has the best real-time AF-C tracking regardless how many at side of NFLs or Olympics shooting this or that brand. It's small/light and versatile enough that I have carried it into multiple trips including landscape oriented as 2nd or even 3rd camera body and generated tons of photos photos already. Its base ISO DR beats D5 and its high ISO DR beats 1Dx II and can shoot faster at 20fps and 4mp more, that only directly matters to me.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +18 more
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,658

Mike Evangelist wrote:

If Canon delivers on what they teased today about the R5, things are going to get a bit more interesting later this year.

Arrgh - teasers don't count until they're on the shelf.  Canon wants to stop the hemorrhaging of users, and they have only themselves to blame in taking so long to make a milc.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +4 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,186

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

As in, bothered to produce a bigger upgrade spec on the A9mk2!!

BOth the D6/1dx3 are a let down spec-wise!

I cant blame sony for just doing small updates on it as they probably knew the 1x3/d6 would barely be a upgrade to the previous version of those cameras(which the original A9 already blew away)

You must have missed the R5 announcement today.

A7R3-ish resolution

A9 FPS

8K video.

If Sony knew the D6/1DX3 were coming, how didn't they see this, and why didn't they counter it?

(A: They couldn't, so they rushed the A9M2 out to get people to commit before R5 specs hit the street).

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more

There's no pain with Canon. EF lenses and batteries are usable on both systems, and unlike as is claimed in Sony land, EF glass actually does work better on RF bodies. On top of the better accuracy, you also get great video AF and useful continuous shooting, which can't be said for Sony, maybe outside of the A9. A reliable 2.5-5 FPS is much better than the useless 2.5 FPS I've experienced with pretty much every Sony body I've adapted glass on.

And Canon is committed to filling out the RF lens lineup aggressively. 9 lenses in a year! The most FE lenses Sony has released in 1 year is 7 I think. The Canon train is gathering momentum and I bet a lot more Sony users will be defecting.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 3,850

Mike Evangelist wrote:

wrt sports shooting, it'll need to have a stacked sensor, which canon has never made.

canon had to go to sony for the 1" stacked sensor in the PowerShot G7 X Mark III, notice how the canon product page doesn't afaik say anything about it using dpaf or pdaf, I've seen claims that it's a cdaf-only camera: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot-digital-cameras/advanced-cameras/powershot-g7-x-mark-iii

canon is putting cdaf-only in a 2020 model camera? seriously? I expect that this r5 will have similar deal-killing caveats, big enough to drive a truck thru

sportyaccordy wrote:

There's no pain with Canon. EF lenses and batteries are usable on both systems, and unlike as is claimed in Sony land, EF glass actually does work better on RF bodies. On top of the better accuracy, you also get great video AF and useful continuous shooting, which can't be said for Sony, maybe outside of the A9. A reliable 2.5-5 FPS is much better than the useless 2.5 FPS I've experienced with pretty much every Sony body I've adapted glass on.

I'd not believe the hype until sport PJs and wildlife photogs start shooting sports and BIFs by adapting EF 400l/2.8, 500L and 600L on EOS-R series. Until then, it's a huge hype So far EOS R AF-C tracking is not impressive in fast moving subject.

And Canon is committed to filling out the RF lens lineup aggressively. 9 lenses in a year! The most FE lenses Sony has released in 1 year is 7 I think. The Canon train is gathering momentum and I bet a lot more Sony users will be defecting.

As aggressively as Sony did in last 3 years? I don't see RF 100-400L IS, RF xxx-600L IS, and any RF super-tele lenses in their roadmap. I don't believe the adapted EF long lenses will have the same performance as on DSLR bodies as they are not designed on ML technology. Until then, it's a huge hype

Until then sadly Caninkon owners need two systems - DSLR for sport/wildlife and ML for everything else, two systems, two mounts, not good.

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 23,225

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

All the more reason to use one. I asked at our local stadium about doing a project there. At first the public relations person said they have enough people doing photography. I mentioned my project was going to be on high speed b&w film I hand process for a very retro look. That got their interest and this next season I will be out with two of my Nikon F5 bodies and Ilford HP5 and Kodak P3200 film. Obviously, they had enough people coming to them with their digital gear...all concerned about DR and per pixel sharpness nonsense. They wanted something different than just some vacation snapshooter with spendy gear and no vision.

I think this is an exciting time with cameras like the D6 and today's announcement of the new Canon R5....which looks incredible by the way. Can't go wrong no matter how you choose.  2020 will be a great year for those who can think outside the box.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 10D +17 more
Tim O'Connor
Tim O'Connor Veteran Member • Posts: 5,497

sportyaccordy wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

I cant blame sony for just doing small updates on it as they probably knew the 1x3/d6 would barely be a upgrade to the previous version of those cameras(which the original A9 already blew away)

A7R3-ish resolution

A9 FPS

8K video.

If Sony knew the D6/1DX3 were coming, how didn't they see this, and why didn't they counter it?

(A: They couldn't, so they rushed the A9M2 out to get people to commit before R5 specs hit the street).

Or they know that the headline specs (other than resolution) are probably hyped a tad.

-- hide signature --
 Tim O'Connor's gear list:Tim O'Connor's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D500 Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +11 more
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 3,292

sportyaccordy wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

A7R3-ish resolution

A9 FPS

8K video.

Complete unsubstantiated nonsense.

The R5 isn't even out yet, and you'd be extremely naive to think Sony have been resting on their laurels and haven't been holding back until their competitors release something comparable to Sony's current models. I have no doubt Sony have a few newly developed models waiting in the pipeline. They have a history of raining on their competitors parade by releasing newer models around the same time as their competitors.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,532

DenImage wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

A7R3-ish resolution

A9 FPS

8K video.

The R5 isn't even out yet, and you'd be extremely naive to think Sony have been resting on their laurels and haven't been holding back until their competitors release something comparable to Sony's current models. I have no doubt Sony have a few newly developed models waiting in the pipeline. They have a history of raining on their competitors parade by releasing newer models around the same time as their competitors.

Den

Sony has, more-or-less, four lines of FF mirrorless. A7III is the generalist, enthusiast, camera. The others specialize in sports/performance, resolution, or video.

Looking at the spec sheet, it looks like Canon is trying to take on all three specialist lines at once.

The questions are:

1. How good will the R5 actually be in these areas? Should be fine at resolution. That doesn't seem difficult for Canon to achieve. Video? I don't care much about video, but there seems to be a world of details involved in video pipeline, sensor readout, crop, codecs, AF, etc, that "4K", "6K", and "8K" don't begin to explain. The "A9 FPS" claim seems to me to be the hardest to achieve in a meaningful way. 20 FPS with crop, lower depth, rolling shutter, skipped lines, blackout, or any combination of these, would not be "A9 FPS".

2. What is Sony going to do for the A7SIII? They've been biding their time. The A7S and A7SII were pretty disruptive in the area of compact, full frame, video. In the meantime, Panasonic has stepped in in a big way. Now (maybe) this. I have no idea how important this segment is to Sony. Maybe they would rather just compete in the next tier with Venice and such. Maybe they're working on something to make the same kind of disruption that the original A7S did. Looking forward to finding out.

3. What will the the A7IV bring? The 5DS and 5DSr, while certainly leading on the resolution spec sheet, didn't seem to make much of a splash sales-wise. The A7III seemed to steal a lot of Canon's 6DII lunch money. If Sony can pick up market share with a best value in the segment A7IV, maybe nobody cares who's on top of the spec sheet comparisons.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Nikon D200 NEX-5T Sony a7R II +21 more

PWPhotography wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

I'd not believe the hype until sport PJs and wildlife photogs start shooting sports and BIFs by adapting EF 400l/2.8, 500L and 600L on EOS-R series. Until then, it's a huge hype So far EOS R AF-C tracking is not impressive in fast moving subject.

Sport PJs and wildlife photogs are far from the only people to use MILCs. Comparing an $1800 camera to a $4500 one is also a bit silly.

As aggressively as Sony did in last 3 years? I don't see RF 100-400L IS, RF xxx-600L IS, and any RF super-tele lenses in their roadmap. I don't believe the adapted EF long lenses will have the same performance as on DSLR bodies as they are not designed on ML technology. Until then, it's a huge hype

Until then sadly Caninkon owners need two systems - DSLR for sport/wildlife and ML for everything else, two systems, two mounts, not good.

RF system is not even 18 months old; obviously they haven't been as aggressive.

Not sure why you say EF long glass can't perform well on RF bodies... I'm certain I could pull up posts from you speaking to how EF glass performs "better" on Sony FE bodies.

And someone who doesn't shoot wildlife/sports obviously won't need a wildlife/sports focused body, which is most enthusiasts. The great irony here is I actually HAVE a 5D4 and I never use it. The R is much better for the general 24-105mm range photography I and I imagine most people do. And now Canon has an answer to all the spec fan boys who said they were done and washed up. It's great

-- hide signature --

Tim O'Connor wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

A7R3-ish resolution

A9 FPS

8K video.

Or they know that the headline specs (other than resolution) are probably hyped a tad.

Whenever a new Sony body comes out with crazy headline specs it's a celebration. So why is it "overhyped" when Canon does it?

-- hide signature --

DenImage wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

A7R3-ish resolution

A9 FPS

8K video.

Den

So your rebuttal to "complete unsubstatiated nonsense" is equally unsubstantiated.... let's be polite and call it "conjecture"... that Sony has an answer for this "waiting in the pipeline". And for some reason, rather than just release said cameras on their own time, as they have been doing over the whole FE system's existence, they wanted to wait for Canon to show their hand. Interesting though I'm not sure I follow.

-- hide signature --

sportyaccordy wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Sport PJs and wildlife photogs are far from the only people to use MILCs. Comparing an $1800 camera to a $4500 one is also a bit silly.

RF system is not even 18 months old; obviously they haven't been as aggressive.

Not sure why you say EF long glass can't perform well on RF bodies... I'm certain I could pull up posts from you speaking to how EF glass performs "better" on Sony FE bodies.

And someone who doesn't shoot wildlife/sports obviously won't need a wildlife/sports focused body, which is most enthusiasts. The great irony here is I actually HAVE a 5D4 and I never use it. The R is much better for the general 24-105mm range photography I and I imagine most people do. And now Canon has an answer to all the spec fan boys who said they were done and washed up. It's great

So after your many words, you have no proof those EF long lenses have no compromises at all via adapter, right? I'd only believe if I see sport and wildlife photogs start shooting with these long lenses adapted on EOS R.

At this moment these long EF lenses AF-C tracking on 5D IV are much better than adapted on EOS-R, that is what I know and have heard.

Otherwise your adapted EF 24-105L IS doesn't prove anything in static AF-S shots.

Let's see that ultimately Canon and Nikon have to develop native RF and Z long lenses in order to have full performance on their respective high-end ML cameras.  DSLR and ML have very different AF technology and their lenses have to be designed and optimized on respective platforms.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads