Return to focus madness - RX10M4

Started 1 week ago | Discussions
RBEmerson
RBEmerson Contributing Member • Posts: 515
Return to focus madness - RX10M4

Empty feeder

Am I being unreasonable and whinging, or is this feeder not quite in focus?

The setup is simple, camera on stable tripod, open window, feeder ~15 yards away. I used the phone app to trip the shutter (no shaky hands).

I selected manual focusing with peaking enabled. The peaking outline is in red (easier to see here), and I've got as much red showing as possible.

I dropped the EV because the lighting was making the feeder look washed out.

Oh yeah, all the usual birds saw me coming and have skipped town. One downy showed up while I was fumbling with the phone. Of course there was no hope of shooting that bird. Since then, gone like they're in witness relocation. Grr...

-- hide signature --

Life is what happens while we're busy making other plans. - - John Lennon

RBEmerson's gear list:RBEmerson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
evan47
evan47 Senior Member • Posts: 1,633
Re: Return to focus madness - RX10M4

Was steady shot enabled?

evan47's gear list:evan47's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
RBEmerson
OP RBEmerson Contributing Member • Posts: 515

Yes. Does that matter to focusing?

Keep in mind the camera is on a tripod, and the shutter's being tripped remotely.

-- hide signature --

Lead me not into temptation. I know a shortcut.

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
Kerusker
Kerusker Senior Member • Posts: 1,273
Help pdf (V2) page 194

SteadyShot (still image)

We recommend that you set the camera to [Off] when using a tripod.

============

Even if there's no camera movement (nearly no signal), the Steady Shot electronics may act somehow.

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus Stylus 1 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,999
Looks good to me --- RX10M4

Looks pretty sharp to me in LightRoom at 3:1 pixel peep. Looks even better to me with a bit of sharpening in LR. (see image below)

my 0.02

-- hide signature --

Bert

75 sharpening in Lr

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +5 more
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 41,168

RBEmerson wrote:

Empty feeder

Am I being unreasonable and whinging, or is this feeder not quite in focus?

Maybe your sharpening setting is too low?

sharpened some

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,999

Bill Borne wrote:

+1 thanks Bill Just what I suggested.

-- hide signature --

Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +5 more
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 41,168

BertIverson wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

+1 thanks Bill Just what I suggested.

Didn't read all the replies Sorry, Bert

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,962

RBEmerson wrote:

Keep in mind the camera is on a tripod, and the shutter's being tripped remotely.

I think there is something wrong with your camera.

Please do a full reset, then

tripod, steadyshot off, shutter by remote or self-timer

manual focus, peaking

If it isn't great, something is wrong, not you.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 +1 more
cheddarman Forum Member • Posts: 73

I am also still (but not so many) focus. Had a rare chance to photo a Tree Creeper today but...........so where did this focus?? Could the gentleman with the super software have a look please?

It was only six meters away and had the focus square right on it, I thought 😱 From the camera JPEG Fine.

RBEmerson
Re: Looks good to me --- RX10M4

That's encouraging. If birds ever show up, that'll be the true test, of course. However, for now I'm using the bird seed as the main test. All of the framework is rounded, making it hard to be 100% about focusing. Anyway, the bird seed looks... well... not snappy.

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
hwvlover
hwvlover Senior Member • Posts: 4,290

cheddarman wrote:

I am also still (but not so many) focus. Had a rare chance to photo a Tree Creeper today but...........so where did this focus?? Could the gentleman with the super software have a look please?

It was only six meters away and had the focus square right on it, I thought 😱 From the camera JPEG Fine.

That is a nuthatch rather than a tree creeper.  Gorgeous little birds both.
Regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.

hwvlover's gear list:hwvlover's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX10 IV
cheddarman Forum Member • Posts: 73

hwvlover wrote:

cheddarman wrote:

That is a nuthatch rather than a tree creeper. Gorgeous little birds both.
Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

DOH! Of course it ism, but it's still out of focus!! I saw a thread the other day where someone pointed us to a program that would highlight the points of focus but I can't find it???

Michael Fritzen Veteran Member • Posts: 5,955

RBEmerson wrote:

...I selected manual focusing with peaking enabled. The peaking outline is in red (easier to see here), and I've got as much red showing as possible....

Well, speaking of my experiences I'm usually relying almost all the time on AF. The longer the FL used the shallower the DOF and the more precise focussing needs to be for spot on focus on the subject (ideally its eye).

Especially for a subject other than plain flat, so with some depth, like the rounded surface of the feeder, I'm generally under the impression that focus peaking is a little vague on real peak focus. If focussing manually under such critical circumstances like full zoom / aperture full open I'd prefer high magnification in the EVF over peaking.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 2,793

cheddarman wrote:

Focus is fine, as demonstrated by the sharpness of the bark of the tree. The feathers on the edge of the wing is also razor sharp when viewed at 100% Part of the problem is that the bird is just WAY too small in the frame. "Only" six meters is not good for small birds I am afraid. And I must say this looks like a bit more than 6m to me: how confident are you of that number?

EDIT: OK, smallness compounded by the fact that you were zoomed to less than 500mm. Small bird far away: always use all the optical zoom you can get!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 2,793

cheddarman wrote:

hwvlover wrote:

cheddarman wrote:

That is a nuthatch rather than a tree creeper. Gorgeous little birds both.
Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

DOH! Of course it ism, but it's still out of focus!!

I disagree. If you look at the edge of the wing the focus is very sharp. But with 1/400th the bird was likely moving its head etc that you are looking at hence it has motion blur. It is also too small in the frame.

I saw a thread the other day where someone pointed us to a program that would highlight the points of focus but I can't find it???

See HERE

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
RBEmerson

elliottnewcomb wrote:

RBEmerson wrote:

I think there is something wrong with your camera.

Please do a full reset, then

tripod, steadyshot off, shutter by remote or self-timer

manual focus, peaking

If it isn't great, something is wrong, not you.

I just did a full reset because I'd put too many settings into some state and wanted to undo that.

I haven disabled steadyshot, yet.

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
Just Another Photog Regular Member • Posts: 284

cheddarman wrote:

Looks in focus to me. I currently own this gem of a camera. It never let me down. In fact, today I pick up the RX 100 vii. I wanted the pro focus upgrade and the additional. An A7R iii wi/th long glass can be heavy wandering at the market.

Just Another Photog's gear list:Just Another Photog's gear list
Sony RX1 Olympus C-2000 Zoom Sony RX100 VII Sony a7R III Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +10 more
Rambow Forum Member • Posts: 84
It's the manual focus

My opinion is that manual focus on digital cameras is a different affair than on a classic film slr. No matter how much technology they add, AF provides better results, while manual focus provides more fuzziness.

It's the same on any digital camera i've ever tried. Manual focus is less precise. I don't even wonder why. Since AF systems are so good these days, in 99% of the cases you don't need manual focus, so no loss.

The Sony RX series have excellent AF in any situation. Use it!

RBEmerson
Re: It's the manual focus

Here are two samples to chew on. The birds have, of course, abandoned me. The light has changed from mostly sun to cloudy. Both samples were focused using the magnifier at 5.whatever X. The shutter was tripped remotely. The camera was refocused for the second sample.

I panned up to include the thin stranded cable the feeder is hanging from. The second sample is a little further down, to include the cage and the cable. I'm surprised the cable doesn't show more detail. The cable is doubled above the silver clip on the wire.

Maybe I'm asking for more than is reasonable?

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads