Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
hermit383
hermit383 Contributing Member • Posts: 728
Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.

Ouff well here goes.

My pro 1000 is fully dead after only 2 years of owning it. Canon said there is nothing they can do. It’s my first bad experience with any Canon gear. I own the 1DXII, 5D IV, EF600 f/4I IS II, 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 50 1.2 L, 85 1.2L, 24-70, 16-35 2.8 II, and many more. I can’t believe what just happened to me. Not to tella sob story. But I got the pro 1000 in December 2017. I’ve printed about 100 images with it. Of course it used a lot of ink and maintenance carts, but i was happily ok with that to have reliability and print quality. That was until last week. My cyan tank ran empty. Immediately ordered the tank from B and H. It came 3 days later. I installed it, it must have shut off during cleaning and ran 2 additional cleaning cycles using 5 more ink tanks with over 50% remaining! And a maintenance cartridge that was only about 20% full. I then finally got it ready to print a fill 17x25.5 inch print on Canon Pro Luster paper which I cut myself. The print had awful banding unlike anything I’ve ever seen before in this printer. Before printing, I printed the print head alignment check and it was fine. However I went to adjust print setting to try and correct the banding and it spit out my print less than half way through and showed me “Canon Support Code B204” after waiting on hold for over 2 hours. Canon tells me there is nothing I can do. Even after spending nearly 700$ on BRAND NEW Canon INK tanks (never used except for head alignment test) I found out my Beloved Canon Printer is fully Dead and Canon will not attempt to repair it. I was told that I am “welcome” to try and fix it myself or bring it to a printer repair shop, but that it would likely cost more than just buying a new Pro-1000 since the ink would need to be fully drained out and the print head replaced, even then there would be no promise that it could be fixed.

Out of sympathy I was told of a “Canon Upgrade Program” which is a 10% off discount for “upgrading “ canon gear which failed prematurely. I was I told that it was 20% off full frame cameras( great because I want the 1DX III when it comes out). However I was then informed that I cannot use this upgrade program for a camera body because it was a printer that was defective; not a camera. This was a waste of over an hour on the phone discussing. Then later when I discussed interest in the Pro-2000 upgrade I was informed that this would also not apply because it’s considered a “commercial” product (even though it’s in the same category as the Pro-1000). So long story short, even after being offered the Canon Upgrade Program, I was then informed there would be no actual “upgrade” because the Pro-1000 is the highest grade printer in the category I’m allowed to use my discount on. Only a same printer ( which I don’t want to buy because it’s failed me so prematurely) or a downgrade was being offered. I still love Canon with all my heart, but this was a truly very negative and awful sad experience to deal with. I have a photo assignment due for the end of the month( February) that I will have to lose a client over now because of this. I did nothing wrong with this printer, it was my beloved baby actually, and I would routinely dust it off every week, and try to make atleast 1- 2 prints per week with it. I maybe made 100-120 prints maximum with it. Mostly 8x10 and a handful of 13x19 and some 17x22 and a single 17x25.5 ( I had just ordered my first Roll paper to use with it so was never able to print this large with it )

TLDR Pro-1000 Showed Support code B204, Called Canon, they said sorry, no luck, they wont fix it. I'm better off buying a new one. So the printer is dead after only 2 years of light use ( never left with empty ink tanks).

Is this common? I need a new printer, however I am very reluctant after this experience to go with the same printer. Or even the Pro-2000 given the reliability of this unit.

 hermit383's gear list:hermit383's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM +6 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,024
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.

VERY sad to read your experiences here. Feel sorry for you. Did it have something to do with the printer shutting of while doing a cleaning? Could' t Canon give you more information about the source of this error? What did you do wrong? Or what went wrong inside the printer?

I read this about your error code (not specifically for the Pro-1000 so maybe you should be cautious here..hopefully others will chime in)

http://fix-your-printer.blogspot.com/2019/07/how-to-solve-error-b204-on-canon-maxify.html

On this error code (B204), for the Pro-1000, Canon says to request for a repair (just read so).

Don't know If this helps in any way.

I' m sure I ' ll be extra cautious when replacing one of my first Pro-1000 inks! But then, I' m sure you where as well. So, that already scares me.

Like I said; I hope others (more experienced users) will comment on this.

Good luck!

 mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Philip Eihuyar
Philip Eihuyar Regular Member • Posts: 341
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.

hermit383 wrote:

Ouff well here goes.

My pro 1000 is fully dead after only 2 years of owning it. Canon said there is nothing they can do. It’s my first bad experience with any Canon gear. I own the 1DXII, 5D IV, EF600 f/4I IS II, 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 50 1.2 L, 85 1.2L, 24-70, 16-35 2.8 II, and many more. I can’t believe what just happened to me. Not to tella sob story. But I got the pro 1000 in December 2017. I’ve printed about 100 images with it. Of course it used a lot of ink and maintenance carts, but i was happily ok with that to have reliability and print quality. That was until last week. My cyan tank ran empty. Immediately ordered the tank from B and H. It came 3 days later. I installed it, it must have shut off during cleaning and ran 2 additional cleaning cycles using 5 more ink tanks with over 50% remaining! And a maintenance cartridge that was only about 20% full. I then finally got it ready to print a fill 17x25.5 inch print on Canon Pro Luster paper which I cut myself. The print had awful banding unlike anything I’ve ever seen before in this printer. Before printing, I printed the print head alignment check and it was fine. However I went to adjust print setting to try and correct the banding and it spit out my print less than half way through and showed me “Canon Support Code B204” after waiting on hold for over 2 hours. Canon tells me there is nothing I can do. Even after spending nearly 700$ on BRAND NEW Canon INK tanks (never used except for head alignment test) I found out my Beloved Canon Printer is fully Dead and Canon will not attempt to repair it. I was told that I am “welcome” to try and fix it myself or bring it to a printer repair shop, but that it would likely cost more than just buying a new Pro-1000 since the ink would need to be fully drained out and the print head replaced, even then there would be no promise that it could be fixed.

Out of sympathy I was told of a “Canon Upgrade Program” which is a 10% off discount for “upgrading “ canon gear which failed prematurely. I was I told that it was 20% off full frame cameras( great because I want the 1DX III when it comes out). However I was then informed that I cannot use this upgrade program for a camera body because it was a printer that was defective; not a camera. This was a waste of over an hour on the phone discussing. Then later when I discussed interest in the Pro-2000 upgrade I was informed that this would also not apply because it’s considered a “commercial” product (even though it’s in the same category as the Pro-1000). So long story short, even after being offered the Canon Upgrade Program, I was then informed there would be no actual “upgrade” because the Pro-1000 is the highest grade printer in the category I’m allowed to use my discount on. Only a same printer ( which I don’t want to buy because it’s failed me so prematurely) or a downgrade was being offered. I still love Canon with all my heart, but this was a truly very negative and awful sad experience to deal with. I have a photo assignment due for the end of the month( February) that I will have to lose a client over now because of this.

I had a similar situation but with a necessary piece of equipment that was promised to be repaired but after months was never was even looked at and I lost a regular client at quite an expense to me. I dropped that repair person and he was the loser over time on this.

I did nothing wrong with this printer, it was my beloved baby actually, and I would routinely dust it off every week, and try to make atleast 1- 2 prints per week with it. I maybe made 100-120 prints maximum with it. Mostly 8x10 and a handful of 13x19 and some 17x22 and a single 17x25.5 ( I had just ordered my first Roll paper to use with it so was never able to print this large with it )

TLDR Pro-1000 Showed Support code B204, Called Canon, they said sorry, no luck, they wont fix it. I'm better off buying a new one. So the printer is dead after only 2 years of light use ( never left with empty ink tanks).

Is this common? I need a new printer, however I am very reluctant after this experience to go with the same printer. Or even the Pro-2000 given the reliability of this unit.

My impression on this situation is that you might have talked to the wrong person at Canon. If you are not the cause of a pro 1000 failure by doing something that broke it physically, it is on them to at least help you to get it back to the default firmware position. To me, it should be fixable; the process of how to get it back to a workable state is the question. I do not know from what you described what should be done, except to go back to the default of the printer firmware and then see what happens. If it is a mechanical failure that would be known at that point. Jose Rodriguez has a forum and facebook site that probably will help you out. In the meantime -to complete a upcoming assignment, you should contact a printing company to do your printing assignment. A short term solution until the Pro 1000 issue is fixed. Ask about the issue here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1915547415436501/

and much useful info is at the U-tube videos here for the Pro printers:

https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949/search?query=pro%3D10

MiguelD Regular Member • Posts: 362
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.
1

If you paid for the printer with a credit card, check to see if your card company doubles the warranty on purchases.

M

hermit383
OP hermit383 Contributing Member • Posts: 728
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.

Ok thank you for the tip. I ended up talking with a supervisor just to make sure that there was nothing they could do. I explained I absolutely wasn't looking to yell at anyone, but due to how badly i felt about it, i wanted to see if there was anything that could be done.

I'll look into the links you sent. thanks again. i did nothing to the printer to cause it. I meticulously dusted it. and it was just working perfectly up until i replaced the ink cartridges and updated the firmware. I then printed a nozzle test, 1 17x25 print, and then it failed part way through the second print job made with it since updating and installing the new ink.

 hermit383's gear list:hermit383's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM +6 more
myphotographic
myphotographic Regular Member • Posts: 144
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.
1

Have a public moan at them on Twitter or Facebook ("Ipaid $X and two years is not an acceptable lifespan"). The PR department is your best chance of a reasonable fix.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 13,823
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.

That has not been my experience with the Pro-1000.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on instagram @therealellisv

 Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +1 more
Richard Frederick
Richard Frederick Senior Member • Posts: 1,000
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.
1

My Epson P5000 printer came with a one-year warranty.  I purchased a two year extension.  Within two weeks of the one year time frame the printer malfunctioned.  If I had not purchased the two year extension and the printer had failed two weeks later (out of warranty) the repair would have cost about $1,000 more than the current rebate price of a new printer.  Go figure.

Glad I bought the extended warranty.

-- hide signature --

Dick Frederick

 Richard Frederick's gear list:Richard Frederick's gear list
Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800E Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-Pro2 +2 more
Sage Senior Member • Posts: 2,487
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.

Honestly, I don't think the printer is designed for the light usage that you provided as 100 prints in 2 years seems light. I would monitor eBay for a new Pro 1000 printer body without the print head and inks. They can been purchased at a fairly low price when available. Then install your existing print head and ink set.

 Sage's gear list:Sage's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Sony a6000 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +22 more
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,024
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.
1

Sage wrote:

Honestly, I don't think the printer is designed for the light usage that you provided as 100 prints in 2 years seems light. I would monitor eBay for a new Pro 1000 printer body without the print head and inks. They can been purchased at a fairly low price when available. Then install your existing print head and ink set.

Do you mean to say, that this printer will break if used about once a week? If so, what’s the minimum number of prints a week, to keep this professional printer from breaking down?

I never heard this before.

 mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Chris 222 Senior Member • Posts: 1,199
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.
1

Hermit,

I have used numerous Canon printers (still do) and I have come to believe that one of their dirty little secrets is that some sort of time limit is hard coded in. They would never acknowledge it but it's certainly been my observation.

This being said, I've gotten past the type of error you are getting by doing the following:

1) Pull out all the carts and the print head, then unplug your printer. Wait a few minutes then wipe all the contacts you can possibly access with some 70% rubbing alcohol on some type of lint-free fabric (NOT cotton or Qtips!) This includes any inner contacts (the type the printhead locks onto, some may be hard to see and access but don't overlook that.)

2) Get yourself some extra-fine sandpaper (400 grit or higher) and run it very gently over all these contacts again.

3) Used some canned air (or an air compressor at 40PSI max like I do) over all these contacts.

4) Reinstall everything in reverse order and run your tests again.

BTW, here's a fact I learned long ago from a retired Master Electrician I had called after I had moved into a property where I lost thousands of dollars of busted PCs and other electronics. Most folks buy a "surge protector" against spikes but it tunes out that many utilities, if not all, do a horrible job of delivering constant electricity to their residential customers. We actually get a lot of brownouts, where our juice is way BELOW where it should be. When the voltage drops below a certain level, nearly all electronics get affected. If you're lucky the unit simply shuts down but in many cases some sort of internal damage is done. It's not something you can see, smell or accurately record so the utilities get away with it. Anyhow, the take away is to place all your sensitive electronics like PCs, printers, etc. behind a UPS that also has good voltage regulation (Cyberpower, Belkin, APC, etc. I haven't bought one recently so I'd recommend some fresh research.)

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes!

Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 13,823
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.

Chris 222 wrote:

BTW, here's a fact I learned long ago from a retired Master Electrician I had called after I had moved into a property where I lost thousands of dollars of busted PCs and other electronics. Most folks buy a "surge protector" against spikes but it tunes out that many utilities, if not all, do a horrible job of delivering constant electricity to their residential customers. We actually get a lot of brownouts, where our juice is way BELOW where it should be. When the voltage drops below a certain level, nearly all electronics get affected. If you're lucky the unit simply shuts down but in many cases some sort of internal damage is done. It's not something you can see, smell or accurately record so the utilities get away with it. Anyhow, the take away is to place all your sensitive electronics like PCs, printers, etc. behind a UPS that also has good voltage regulation (Cyberpower, Belkin, APC, etc. I haven't bought one recently so I'd recommend some fresh research.)

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes!

Along with Chris's excellent advice about using UPS units, I also suggest you look into getting ZeroSurge units and plugging the UPS units into those. https://zerosurge.com/more info here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqR4N9LH0Qs&feature=emb_logo

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on instagram @therealellisv

 Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +1 more
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,024
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.
  • Chris 222 wrote:

Hermit,

I have used numerous Canon printers (still do) and I have come to believe that one of their dirty little secrets is that some sort of time limit is hard coded in. They would never acknowledge it but it's certainly been my observation.

if that’s the case, do you know what would trigger that time limit? Surely not everybody uses a Canon Pro1000 for only 2 years. So, if true, what can be done to avoid all this?

This being said, I've gotten past the type of error you are getting by doing the following:

1) Pull out all the carts and the print head, then unplug your printer. Wait a few minutes then wipe all the contacts you can possibly access with some 70% rubbing alcohol on some type of lint-free fabric (NOT cotton or Qtips!) This includes any inner contacts (the type the printhead locks onto, some may be hard to see and access but don't overlook that.)

2) Get yourself some extra-fine sandpaper (400 grit or higher) and run it very gently over all these contacts again.

3) Used some canned air (or an air compressor at 40PSI max like I do) over all these contacts.

4) Reinstall everything in reverse order and run your tests again.

BTW, here's a fact I learned long ago from a retired Master Electrician I had called after I had moved into a property where I lost thousands of dollars of busted PCs and other electronics. Most folks buy a "surge protector" against spikes but it tunes out that many utilities, if not all, do a horrible job of delivering constant electricity to their residential customers. We actually get a lot of brownouts, where our juice is way BELOW where it should be. When the voltage drops below a certain level, nearly all electronics get affected. If you're lucky the unit simply shuts down but in many cases some sort of internal damage is done. It's not something you can see, smell or accurately record so the utilities get away with it. Anyhow, the take away is to place all your sensitive electronics like PCs, printers, etc. behind a UPS that also has good voltage regulation (Cyberpower, Belkin, APC, etc. I haven't bought one recently so I'd recommend some fresh research.)

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes!

 mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 8,693
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.
2

A voltage spike is the best explanation I've heard yet as to why your printer failed so early and after so little usage. I've lost quite a few items over the years because of not having adequate protection, most recently a 9800 and 7800 within a few weeks of each other after some drunken idiot took out my power pole and the resulting outage overwhelmed my surge protector blowing out one printer immediately and weakening the other where it died a few weeks later. I now no longer trust surge protectors for anything and have all my equipment protected by a UPS.

In fact I think I will now add that to my recommendations to anyone who wants to get into printing. If you don't have a UPS protecting it then expect it to be destroyed eventually by a voltage spike.

mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,024
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.
1

mike earussi wrote:

A voltage spike is the best explanation I've heard yet as to why your printer failed so early and after so little usage. I've lost quite a few items over the years because of not having adequate protection, most recently a 9800 and 7800 within a few weeks of each other after some drunken idiot took out my power pole and the resulting outage overwhelmed my surge protector blowing out one printer immediately and weakening the other where it died a few weeks later. I now no longer trust surge protectors for anything and have all my equipment protected by a UPS.

In fact I think I will now add that to my recommendations to anyone who wants to get into printing. If you don't have a UPS protecting it then expect it to be destroyed eventually by a voltage spike.

That seems the only reasonable explanation to me too. Voltage spike.

 mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Chris 222 Senior Member • Posts: 1,199
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.

mujana wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

A voltage spike is the best explanation I've heard yet as to why your printer failed so early and after so little usage. I've lost quite a few items over the years because of not having adequate protection, most recently a 9800 and 7800 within a few weeks of each other after some drunken idiot took out my power pole and the resulting outage overwhelmed my surge protector blowing out one printer immediately and weakening the other where it died a few weeks later. I now no longer trust surge protectors for anything and have all my equipment protected by a UPS.

Sorry you had such losses (been there, it hurts!) but you are confusing things a bit. FWIW outside of that drunken idiot, the real problem you encountered was at your panel, where the breaker(s) obviously did not do their job when the pole got hit and the power went out. I would definitely recommend you have your main panel and all the breakers checked out.

In fact I think I will now add that to my recommendations to anyone who wants to get into printing. If you don't have a UPS protecting it then expect it to be destroyed eventually by a voltage spike.

True BUT a UPS is basically an enclosure for a couple of long-life, small car-type lead-acid batteries inside. The cheap ones are not enough and for real protection you absolutely need to spend your money wisely on a unit that also offers high-quality, quick-reacting surge protection, line-conditioning AND the even-more important AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation.)

For example, the CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD I bought over 5 years ago has been running non-stop and given me tremendous peace of mind.

That seems the only reasonable explanation to me too. Voltage spike.

Not necessarily. I actually experienced the same incident as Mike thanks to a moron who was texting while driving his boss' big truck and mowed down a nearby big power pole that feeds a whole neighborhood. When the utility finally replaced the pole and turned the power back on, it first came in as a big brownout (super-low voltage) that just killed a bunch of my neighbors' electronics and even some newer appliances. Had I not had those UPS units with AVR I would have been in the same (very unhappy) situation.

Alexey Senior Member • Posts: 1,205
Re: Is 2 years a short life for a printer like this ? Canon Pro-1000 Fully Dead.

Thank you for sharing.  I am also an owner of a lot of Canon gear and it is beneficial to cnow how they sre treating their loyal customers.  While they make a lot of quality gear, if that is what their customer care is like, perhaps its time to diversify the equipment.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads