Anyone tried MG-Ef magnifying eyepiece?

Started Feb 6, 2020 | Questions
Duckman21 Forum Member • Posts: 87
Anyone tried MG-Ef magnifying eyepiece?

Curious about this eyepiece - seems to be a more recent release that hasn't been widely used.

I use the Nikon DK-21M on my 80D to magnify the image and to protect it from scratches (after a previous nasty sand-scratch incident that I had to send it in). For most day-to-day use it works very well, but on cold, wet days, it condenses and is unusable. Turns out it is two layers of glass, the inner layer cannot be cleaned readily. Another issue is that the eyepiece is slightly loose and doesn't snap into place on the Canon body, but it's not easy to slide it off (it just pushes around fairly easily).

I'm wondering if MG-Ef has the condensation issue as well or if there's any other alternative.

Duckman21's gear list:Duckman21's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,528
Re: Anyone tried MG-Ef magnifying eyepiece?

The Canon MG-Ef magnifying eyepiece is apparently a discontinued replacement eyepiece for selected Canon cameras that magnifies the image by a factor of 1.2.

The 80D is not listed among the selected cameras but at about $35 it might be worth trying if you need the magnification.

I didn't find any details about construction.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
OP Duckman21 Forum Member • Posts: 87

Sailor Blue wrote:

The Canon MG-Ef magnifying eyepiece is apparently a discontinued replacement eyepiece for selected Canon cameras that magnifies the image by a factor of 1.2.

The 80D is not listed among the selected cameras but at about $35 it might be worth trying if you need the magnification.

Oh yes, my mistake. That's the one for the Rebels. It should fit the 80D but would look undersized. MG-EB is the one designed for X0D/7D with a wider eyecup but has the same specifications. I have not seen either sold in stores, only for 70$ CAD on Canon Canada's store (it was on sale a few weeks ago for 55$).  The NIkon DK-21M is less than 30$ CAD.

Duckman21's gear list:Duckman21's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,528

Duckman21 wrote:

Sailor Blue wrote:

Oh yes, my mistake. That's the one for the Rebels. It should fit the 80D but would look undersized. MG-EB is the one designed for X0D/7D with a wider eyecup but has the same specifications. I have not seen either sold in stores, only for 70$ CAD on Canon Canada's store (it was on sale a few weeks ago for 55$). The NIkon DK-21M is less than 30$ CAD.

US $36.00

B&H - Canon MG-Eb Magnifying Eyepiece for Select Canon Cameras

Not sure what the classification would be (some classifications such as computers are free) but in any case import duty on items mailed/shipped from the US is only 5%.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads