Would a DP0 or Dp1 Quattro be suitable as an only camera on vacation?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
atom14
atom14 Senior Member • Posts: 2,543
Yes...

1) Why not?

2) As long as you use it to its capabilities.

3) Talk about tele and wide-angle attachments, as well as phone cams and other cameras is irrelevant if it's the ONLY camera*.

atom14.

* Except as a backup in case the other camera stops working.

furtle
furtle Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
Re: Would a DP0 or Dp1 Quattro be suitable as an only camera on vacation?

firoze wrote:

Hello, I will be visiting Athens and the Greek islands on vacation soon. So far, on all my vacations I have used a camera with a zoom lens. Do you think a fixed lens camera like a DP0 or a DP1 would be suitable as an only camera? My genre of photography are landscape, architecture and close ups of flowers etc. (I am not keen on a SD Quattro because with a zoom lens it would be too heavy and bulky. I prefer lighter smaller cameras when travelling).

Thanks in advance.

Yep, the dp0Q would be fine.  For night and interiors put it on a mini pocket tripod and use Super Fine Detail mode.  Pretty much the only camera I used in Venice. The dpOQ has a near distortion free lens. Probably my fave Sigma camera. One big advantage of the very wide lens is you can get up really close to subjects in popular places and this helps exclude tourists and other street clutter from the shots

mini

-- hide signature --

Best, Steve

furtle's gear list:furtle's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma dp3 Quattro Sigma DP1s Ricoh GR Digital III +9 more
docmaas
docmaas Veteran Member • Posts: 6,898

dp2m or dp2q will offer the most versatility.  For wide angle stationary just turn the camera to portrait mode and do a multishot pano.

dp2m advantage is primarily in longer distance shots where acuity in the far background is desirable.  The Quattro cannot keep up in that area.  I peronally find the iq of the Merrills to be superior to that of the Quattros but Quattros do have many other advantages.

dp2q offers better focus, better color, better ease of use, sfd for interiors (tripod required) and it is much faster.

I carried only the dp2m on a 10 day trip to Israel and later the dp2q on a similar trip to Egypt.  Both worked well but the loss of resolution in the Q at further distances was an unexpected and unwelcome surprise when I returned.

I think the dp0q would be a worthwhile carry along but I agree with those who suggested a smaller Bayer camera with a suitable zoom for the most versatility although the sony rx100 models do not suffice for my needs despite their convenience factor.

Mike

-- hide signature --

"Laoma shitu" "An old horse knows the road" Chinese Proverb                                        "Dao ke dao, fei chang dao. Ming ke ming, fei chang ming" Laozi
"At every crossroads on the path that leads to the future, tradition has placed 10,000 men to guard the past."
Maurice Maeterlinck

Shawn67 Senior Member • Posts: 2,284

firoze wrote:

Hello, I will be visiting Athens and the Greek islands on vacation soon. So far, on all my vacations I have used a camera with a zoom lens. Do you think a fixed lens camera like a DP0 or a DP1 would be suitable as an only camera? My genre of photography are landscape, architecture and close ups of flowers etc. (I am not keen on a SD Quattro because with a zoom lens it would be too heavy and bulky. I prefer lighter smaller cameras when travelling).

Thanks in advance.

What FOV did you tend to use most with the zoom lens?

If you can work within the limits of a fixed FOV and ISO400ish max then the Sigma's could work. Consider if you would want the LCD viewer too, it is very nice but does make the camera considerably larger.

If you haven't shot 21mm before I'd certainly suggest spending time with that FOV for awhile before counting on the camera for a vacation.

As an alternative consider the DP1Q with a Ricoh GW-4 as you would then have both 28 and 21mm FOV and be a stop faster than the DP0.

Either way I'd also throw the RX100 in a camera bag pocket to handle the stuff the Sigma can't.
Shawn

danski0224 Senior Member • Posts: 1,234

I have found wide angle lenses to bee "too wide" for general purpose use.

I would suggest learning how to set up the camera in manual exposure mode and take a panoramic image.

The next biggest thing would be to rotate the camera on the nodal axis of the lens vs the tripod mounting point. Yes, there are technical ways to figure out the nodal point, but if the front of the lens is at or near the center pf rotation on the tripod, it is really close and much better than rotating on the tripod mount on the camera.

I typically use portrait orientation and 3 or 4 shots horizontally, crop to taste later. Looks much more natural to me.

The SFD mode is really useful, but in an exceedingly small number of opportunities. Yes, become familiar with it, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

I can use handheld shots intended for a panorama WAY more often than ideal conditions for SFD mode. It's amazing what the stitching software can put together sometimes. Overlap is your friend.

-- hide signature --

Moments in Time, a work in progress.... https://www.flickr.com/gp/142423236@N08/965cs3

TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 9,806

firoze wrote:

Dryce wrote:

firoze wrote:

I could use my RX100 in those situations.

RX100 plus a DP0Q sounds like a good combination.

That sounds like a good solution.

I was thinking the same. I use my dp0 with Olympus E-M5 II / 12-40mm PRO in a similar manner.

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R III Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +8 more
Shawn67 Senior Member • Posts: 2,284

danski0224 wrote:

I have found wide angle lenses to bee "too wide" for general purpose use.

I would suggest learning how to set up the camera in manual exposure mode and take a panoramic image.

The next biggest thing would be to rotate the camera on the nodal axis of the lens vs the tripod mounting point. Yes, there are technical ways to figure out the nodal point, but if the front of the lens is at or near the center pf rotation on the tripod, it is really close and much better than rotating on the tripod mount on the camera.

I typically use portrait orientation and 3 or 4 shots horizontally, crop to taste later. Looks much more natural to me.

The SFD mode is really useful, but in an exceedingly small number of opportunities. Yes, become familiar with it, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

I can use handheld shots intended for a panorama WAY more often than ideal conditions for SFD mode. It's amazing what the stitching software can put together sometimes. Overlap is your friend.

The other way is to use the wide angle lenses and shoot in 21:9 AR. That gives much quicker panoramics and is suitable for moving subjects. Stitching doesn't do that well unless you are shooting multiple cameras at the same time and stitching later.

The other huge difference can be field of view. This is 21:9 with a DP1 wGW4 for an effective FOV of a 21mm lens.

This is from basically the same position using the 3 camera pano rig...

Shawn

TN Args

firoze wrote:

Iconoscope wrote:

No. These are much too limited unless you buy all four of them! Even a 3X optical zoom would have made a more versatile and usable camera. But if you insist on using a DP camera, get a DP2M or DP3M and include an adapter to attach a wide angle converter.

Thanks. Why do you suggest getting a Merril instead of a Quattro?

Before you get buried in opinions on that topic, take a look at a comparison I compiled from identically controlled test shots, link. That will allow you to form your own view.

Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R III Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +8 more
firoze
OP firoze Regular Member • Posts: 216

TN Args wrote:

Thanks. Why do you suggest getting a Merril instead of a Quattro?

Before you get buried in opinions on that topic, take a look at a comparison I compiled from identically controlled test shots, link. That will allow you to form your own view.

I took a look at that thread. Interesting, thanks.

firoze's gear list:firoze's gear list
Leica X Vario Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) Sony RX100
firoze

furtle wrote:

.....One big advantage of the very wide lens is you can get up really close to subjects in popular places and this helps exclude tourists and other street clutter from the shots

mini

Thats a good consideration. Thanks.

firoze

I would like to thank everyone for their valuable advice. Even if I have not replied individually to your posts, I have considered your advice carefully. You all have been most helpful!

firoze

Tomorrow, I will have an opportunity to test a DP0 for half an hour or so. Any advice on settings?

Ps: my MacBook is off for repairs, so I will have to edit the photos on my 12.9” iPad Pro. I know DNG can be processed on the iPad, but is it correct that I cannot set the camera to shoot jpeg+DNG?

TN Args

firoze wrote:

Tomorrow, I will have an opportunity to test a DP0 for half an hour or so. Any advice on settings?

Depends on what you want to 'test'.

If you are testing lens sharpness, sensor resolution -- better bring a tripod. And shoot at ISO 100.

Ultimate lens edge sharpness is around ƒ/5.6-7.1, centre sharpness around ƒ/4.5-5.6. Diffraction is there by ƒ/11.

I *know* you are not going to test high ISO ability: you know better than to try.

Test the AWB in a few different lights. I think it works well.

Use STD scene mode for general 'realistic' shooting. Maybe try VIVID for things with naturally rich tones. LANDSCAPE has its moments, and MONO is cool fun but IMHO you won't have time in a 30 minute session to play with MONO properly.

Try the manual focusing setup to see if it works for you. I quite like it although I'm not sure if I am using the default settings. I can switch MF/AF at the press of a button on the 4-way rocker, and in MF I get a nice DOF display as I turn the focus ring. And pressing the button in the middle of the rocker gives me magnified view for MF, which is user adjustable. I use 8x.

If Face Detect is important to you, then give it a try, but I don't care since I don't think of dp0 as a face-taking camera and don't use it for that.

Ps: my MacBook is off for repairs, so I will have to edit the photos on my 12.9” iPad Pro. I know DNG can be processed on the iPad, but is it correct that I cannot set the camera to shoot jpeg+DNG?

Correct. Take a few shots with Raw+JPEG, and a few with DNG.

Take a few JPEG-only shots with image size FINE/S-HI. Just to show off and impress yourself back home!

Also take a couple SFD. Using that tripod again.

If the person handing you the camera for 30 minutes knows how to use it, I suggest you keep him or her nearby. You can get so 'lost' trying to change settings on an unfamiliar camera. The QS or Quick Screen / Quick Menu button, on the back, gets you most typical settings: use the 4-way rocker to highlight a setting and then the top dial to adjust it.

One last thing, the grip. You are going to hate it, due to 'muscle memory' not knowing what to make of it. I use left thumb and forefinger on the focus ring, with left palm and 4th finger (counting thumb as 1 and fingers 2-5) supporting the body weight, leaving right hand with no support function. (If you try to shoot one-handed with right hand, you will think it is the worst camera body ever made. It isn't.) Right index finger on the shutter of course, fingers 3 and 4 splayed across the front, and thumb under the notch in the rear grip.

Enjoy your experiment.

cheers

Others have stated that there is a difference between DNG out of camera and processing an X3f file through SPP.

The only suggestion I have is to take a couple of X3f files to work with later, preferably at near the same time.

Watch the exposure, there is no highlight recovery. It really has to be right in camera using the Quattro sensor compared to the Merrill or earlier Foveon sensors, and Bayer type sensors.

Shadow recovery is not so good, either. There is some latitude there, but the results will disappoint the 5 stop crowd.

-- hide signature --

Moments in Time, a work in progress.... https://www.flickr.com/gp/142423236@N08/965cs3

firoze

TN Args wrote:

firoze wrote:

Depends on what you want to 'test'.

If you are testing lens sharpness, sensor resolution -- better bring a tripod. And shoot at ISO 100.

Ultimate lens edge sharpness is around ƒ/5.6-7.1, centre sharpness around ƒ/4.5-5.6. Diffraction is there by ƒ/11.

I *know* you are not going to test high ISO ability: you know better than to try.

Test the AWB in a few different lights. I think it works well.

Use STD scene mode for general 'realistic' shooting. Maybe try VIVID for things with naturally rich tones. LANDSCAPE has its moments, and MONO is cool fun but IMHO you won't have time in a 30 minute session to play with MONO properly.

Try the manual focusing setup to see if it works for you. I quite like it although I'm not sure if I am using the default settings. I can switch MF/AF at the press of a button on the 4-way rocker, and in MF I get a nice DOF display as I turn the focus ring. And pressing the button in the middle of the rocker gives me magnified view for MF, which is user adjustable. I use 8x.

If Face Detect is important to you, then give it a try, but I don't care since I don't think of dp0 as a face-taking camera and don't use it for that.

Correct. Take a few shots with Raw+JPEG, and a few with DNG.

Take a few JPEG-only shots with image size FINE/S-HI. Just to show off and impress yourself back home!

Also take a couple SFD. Using that tripod again.

If the person handing you the camera for 30 minutes knows how to use it, I suggest you keep him or her nearby. You can get so 'lost' trying to change settings on an unfamiliar camera. The QS or Quick Screen / Quick Menu button, on the back, gets you most typical settings: use the 4-way rocker to highlight a setting and then the top dial to adjust it.

One last thing, the grip. You are going to hate it, due to 'muscle memory' not knowing what to make of it. I use left thumb and forefinger on the focus ring, with left palm and 4th finger (counting thumb as 1 and fingers 2-5) supporting the body weight, leaving right hand with no support function. (If you try to shoot one-handed with right hand, you will think it is the worst camera body ever made. It isn't.) Right index finger on the shutter of course, fingers 3 and 4 splayed across the front, and thumb under the notch in the rear grip.

Enjoy your experiment.

cheers

Many thanks for the detailed suggestions. I am not going to do sharpness tests - from all I’ve read, the sharpness and detail of the lens/sensor combination are superb. I am more interested in the general “look and feel” of the images, and the colours.

I will take general landscape shots and close ups, fine jpeg+RAW, and DNG. Maybe SFD if there is time enough.

The handling - I know it will be awkward at first but I am prepared for that. Thanks for the info on how best to hold it.

firoze

danski0224 wrote:

Others have stated that there is a difference between DNG out of camera and processing an X3f file through SPP.

The only suggestion I have is to take a couple of X3f files to work with later, preferably at near the same time.

Watch the exposure, there is no highlight recovery. It really has to be right in camera using the Quattro sensor compared to the Merrill or earlier Foveon sensors, and Bayer type sensors.

Shadow recovery is not so good, either. There is some latitude there, but the results will disappoint the 5 stop crowd.

Thank you for that advice. To protect the highlights, would it be advisable to set the exposure compensation to -0.3 ev? Many Bayer sensor cameras benefit from this setting, so am asking.

firoze wrote:

Thank you for that advice. To protect the highlights, would it be advisable to set the exposure compensation to -0.3 ev? Many Bayer sensor cameras benefit from this setting, so am asking.

Pretty sure that there isn't a "rule of thumb" that applies in all or most situations.

I'd wach the live histogram and get as much exposure as possible.

It's just something to be aware of, not to worry or obsess about.

-- hide signature --

firoze

danski0224 wrote:

firoze wrote:

Pretty sure that there isn't a "rule of thumb" that applies in all or most situations.

I'd wach the live histogram and get as much exposure as possible.

It's just something to be aware of, not to worry or obsess about.

Understood, thanks.

Gate bois Senior Member • Posts: 1,524

If it can be useful to you, some photos (interpolated at 78.5MP) made for the majority of them with the DP0Q and some one with the DP3Q.

http://www.noelbilly.eu/

-- hide signature --

Paris - La Defense at 78.5Mpix:
http://www.noelbilly.eu/

Johan Borg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,025

firoze wrote:

Hello, I will be visiting Athens and the Greek islands on vacation soon. So far, on all my vacations I have used a camera with a zoom lens. Do you think a fixed lens camera like a DP0 or a DP1 would be suitable as an only camera?

Sure!

I've used various Sigma DP cameras for travel since the DP2 in 2009 followed by a DP1s, DP2 Merrill, DP3 Merrill and since 2014 a dp2 Quattro. Most of the time as the only (dedicated) camera, sometimes with an RX100, but the Sony tends to stay at home now that smartphones have improved in both low light and video quality - the weak areas of Sigma.

I have the Sigma EF-630 flash, quite useful indoors but don't know how well it would work with a 21mm equivalent lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads