Would a DP0 or Dp1 Quattro be suitable as an only camera on vacation?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
firoze
firoze Regular Member • Posts: 192
Would a DP0 or Dp1 Quattro be suitable as an only camera on vacation?

Hello, I will be visiting Athens and the Greek islands on vacation soon. So far, on all my vacations I have used a camera with a zoom lens. Do you think a fixed lens camera like a DP0 or a DP1 would be suitable as an only camera? My genre of photography are landscape, architecture and close ups of flowers etc. (I am not keen on a SD Quattro because with a zoom lens it would be too heavy and bulky. I prefer lighter smaller cameras when travelling).

Thanks in advance.

firoze's gear list:firoze's gear list
Sony RX100 Leica X Vario Leica V-Lux (Typ 114)
Sigma DP1 Sigma dp1 Quattro Sigma sd Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jande9
jande9 Senior Member • Posts: 1,538
Re: Would a DP0 or Dp1 Quattro be suitable as an only camera on vacation?

I took my DP2M as my only camera on one trip to the UK.  I go often so I thought that the discipline would be interesting, like travelling with a fixed lens Rollei 35 film camera.

It did not turn out well.  I found that there were too many situations where the Sigma couldn't cope with the conditions.  Church interiors, wedding parties, deep forest walks.

Now I always take another camera in addition to the DP2.

A good phone might suffice for you, but your RX100 seems to be the ideal general purpose travel cam.  I borrowed my son's for one trip and used it a lot for my travel snaps.

Jan

jande9's gear list:jande9's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Sigma DP1s Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +4 more
otumay
otumay Contributing Member • Posts: 573

firoze wrote:

Hello, I will be visiting Athens and the Greek islands on vacation soon. So far, on all my vacations I have used a camera with a zoom lens. Do you think a fixed lens camera like a DP0 or a DP1 would be suitable as an only camera? My genre of photography are landscape, architecture and close ups of flowers etc. (I am not keen on a SD Quattro because with a zoom lens it would be too heavy and bulky. I prefer lighter smaller cameras when travelling).

Thanks in advance.

I think DP0 will serve admirably during your coming vacation in Greece.

If I do not wish to carry heavy gear, I usually end up with DP0 AND DP2, both Quattro models. Since they use the same batteries, I carry only one battery charger.

-- hide signature --
 otumay's gear list:otumay's gear list
Sigma DP1x Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma SD10 +18 more
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 17,893

firoze wrote:

Hello, I will be visiting Athens and the Greek islands on vacation soon. So far, on all my vacations I have used a camera with a zoom lens. Do you think a fixed lens camera like a [dp0] or a [dp1] would be suitable as an only camera? My genre of photography are landscape, architecture and close ups of flowers etc.

In terms of composition, especially for reasonable perspective, I would take the dp1 because you mentioned close-ups.

But that was not your question. For vacation, I would prefer a range-finder style camera, m43/APS-C with a reasonable zoom lens on it.

(I am not keen on a [sd] Quattro because with a zoom lens it would be too heavy and bulky.

-- hide signature --

Too many variables, not enough grey cells ...
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +13 more
firoze
OP firoze Regular Member • Posts: 192

jande9 wrote:

I took my DP2M as my only camera on one trip to the UK. I go often so I thought that the discipline would be interesting, like travelling with a fixed lens Rollei 35 film camera.

It did not turn out well. I found that there were too many situations where the Sigma couldn't cope with the conditions. Church interiors, wedding parties, deep forest walks.

A good phone might suffice for you, but your RX100 seems to be the ideal general purpose travel cam. I borrowed my son's for one trip and used it a lot for my travel snaps.

Jan

Thanks, I did suspect indoor shots would not turn out well with the DPQ. As you say, my RX100 could come to the rescue in those situations.

firoze

otumay wrote:

firoze wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I think DP0 will serve admirably during your coming vacation in Greece.

If I do not wish to carry heavy gear, I usually end up with DP0 AND DP2, both Quattro models. Since they use the same batteries, I carry only one battery charger.

I was considering the DP0 for it’s wide angle lens (and of course for the Foveon sensor). Unfortunately while a ultra wide is very useful indoors like in cathedrals etc, I suspect the low light capabilities of the DP0 might disappoint. As Jan above suggests, I could use my RX100 in those situations.

Dryce Regular Member • Posts: 479

It depends on how/what you shoot.

Personally - if I was going to carry just one DPM or DPQ then it would be the 1 or 2.

Usually I don't travel with just one DPM or DPQ but if travelling light take one (most likely the DP0Q) plus a mirrorless camera.

Dryce's gear list:Dryce's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +3 more
firoze

xpatUSA wrote:

firoze wrote:

Hello, I will be visiting Athens and the Greek islands on vacation soon. So far, on all my vacations I have used a camera with a zoom lens. Do you think a fixed lens camera like a [dp0] or a [dp1] would be suitable as an only camera? My genre of photography are landscape, architecture and close ups of flowers etc.

In terms of composition, especially for reasonable perspective, I would take the dp1 because you mentioned close-ups.

But that was not your question. For vacation, I would prefer a range-finder style camera, m43/APS-C with a reasonable zoom lens on it.

I already have the Leica X Vario which has a 28-70 lens, but I wanted to experience the Foveon magic, and wanted to use a ultra wide, hence the choice of DP0. However I do not want to carry both these cameras.

I was wondering whether a fixed focal length would suffice on vacation?

The other option for a small high quality camera would be the FP with 45/2.8. I know the FP  doesn’t have a Foveon sensor, but it’s files do have a bit of the Sigma/Foveon DNA. I tested one recently and liked the IQ. And the FP’s low light capability is excellent. But again I wonder if I could get away with only a 45mm lens on such a trip.

Dryce Regular Member • Posts: 479

firoze wrote:

I could use my RX100 in those situations.

RX100 plus a DP0Q sounds like a good combination.

Dryce's gear list:Dryce's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +3 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 27,093

firoze wrote:

jande9 wrote:

I took my DP2M as my only camera on one trip to the UK. I go often so I thought that the discipline would be interesting, like travelling with a fixed lens Rollei 35 film camera.

It did not turn out well. I found that there were too many situations where the Sigma couldn't cope with the conditions. Church interiors, wedding parties, deep forest walks.

A good phone might suffice for you, but your RX100 seems to be the ideal general purpose travel cam. I borrowed my son's for one trip and used it a lot for my travel snaps.

Jan

Thanks, I did suspect indoor shots would not turn out well with the DPQ. As you say, my RX100 could come to the rescue in those situations.

A table-top tripod can be very handy in such cases. And the dp0Q accepts the Sigma remote control cable, which is an excellent gadget. A tripod also allows you to save the special bracketed HDR files called "SFD Mode" (see the Additional Info" PDF). SFD gives good results inside churches, for instance.

I suggest downloading the manual to help you decide.

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/download/cameras/brochures-manuals/#dp

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
firoze

Dryce wrote:

It depends on how/what you shoot.

Personally - if I was going to carry just one DPM or DPQ then it would be the 1 or 2.

Usually I don't travel with just one DPM or DPQ but if travelling light take one (most likely the DP0Q) plus a mirrorless camera.

My choice of a single Quattro would be the DP0 for its ultra wide lens. But I guess DP1 or 2 would be more versatile.

firoze

Dryce wrote:

firoze wrote:

I could use my RX100 in those situations.

RX100 plus a DP0Q sounds like a good combination.

That sounds like a good solution.

firoze

D Cox wrote:

A table-top tripod can be very handy in such cases. And the dp0Q accepts the Sigma remote control cable, which is an excellent gadget. A tripod also allows you to save the special bracketed HDR files called "SFD Mode" (see the Additional Info" PDF). SFD gives good results inside churches, for instance.

Many thanks for the link, I will download the manual and read up on the SFD mode.

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 27,093

firoze wrote:

D Cox wrote:

Many thanks for the link, I will download the manual and read up on the SFD mode.

It's in the Additional Info PDF as it was added in a firmware update.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Graham Gibson Contributing Member • Posts: 752

Maybe a DP1 with a Ricoh GW-4 or 3 addon lens to go wider when needed. For close-up flowers and low light, I think the DP0 lens would be a big limitation. Also, I find the 28mm focal length to be more usable for all-around shooting. Wide enough for most scenes, but still possible to crop in a bit.

firoze

Graham Gibson wrote:

Maybe a DP1 with a Ricoh GW-4 or 3 addon lens to go wider when needed. For close-up flowers and low light, I think the DP0 lens would be a big limitation. Also, I find the 28mm focal length to be more usable for all-around shooting. Wide enough for most scenes, but still possible to crop in a bit.

Thanks Graham, I will give this a thought.

Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 5,613

firoze wrote:

This is very personal, and also depending on how and what you typically shoot.

On a recent trip to Hungary, I took my Monochrom with me, with just a few lenses. Eventually, most lens-switches were for the sake of playing with another toy. In hindsight, I would have been fine with just a 40mm and an orange filter.

On a trip some time ago, I had my (old) DP2 with me for the daytime/outdoor-shots, and my Fuji + a standard prime for the indoor/night-time.

If you don't do much indoor or nighttime, just a Sigma would be fine. Otherwise, add a second compact camera.

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
firoze

Sjak wrote:

firoze wrote:

This is very personal, and also depending on how and what you typically shoot.

On a recent trip to Hungary, I took my Monochrom with me, with just a few lenses. Eventually, most lens-switches were for the sake of playing with another toy. In hindsight, I would have been fine with just a 40mm and an orange filter.

On a trip some time ago, I had my (old) DP2 with me for the daytime/outdoor-shots, and my Fuji + a standard prime for the indoor/night-time.

If you don't do much indoor or nighttime, just a Sigma would be fine. Otherwise, add a second compact camera.

This is excellent info, thanks. I would mostly shoot outdoors in daylight, or evening light. For the rare indoors and night shots, I could make do with the RX100.

Iconoscope
Iconoscope Regular Member • Posts: 450

No.  These are much too limited unless you buy all four of them!  Even a 3X optical zoom would have made a more versatile and usable camera.  But if you insist on using a DP camera, get a DP2M or DP3M and include an adapter to attach a wide angle converter.

Iconoscope's gear list:Iconoscope's gear list
Sigma DP2s Kodak DCS Pro 14n Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 +7 more
firoze

Iconoscope wrote:

No. These are much too limited unless you buy all four of them! Even a 3X optical zoom would have made a more versatile and usable camera. But if you insist on using a DP camera, get a DP2M or DP3M and include an adapter to attach a wide angle converter.

Thanks. Why do you suggest getting a Merril instead of a Quattro?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads