RF 50mm vs 85mm

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Jonathan0007
Jonathan0007 Regular Member • Posts: 158
RF 50mm vs 85mm

To those of you who have both (or experience using both), how do you feel they compare in terms of image quality (sharpness, rendering, 3D pop)? I know these are two different focal lengths we are talking about, but I am mostly interested in how their outputs compare.

CarlosMart
CarlosMart Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: RF 50mm vs 85mm

Jonathan0007 wrote:

To those of you who have both (or experience using both), how do you feel they compare in terms of image quality (sharpness, rendering, 3D pop)? I know these are two different focal lengths we are talking about, but I am mostly interested in how their outputs compare.

I own both, my 85mm is the non-DS version.

In terms of IQ, I would say they are in the same category. Top-tier with dreamy bokeh, beautiful contrast and sharpness wide open.

The only slight difference is that in an extreme contrast scenario, the RF 50L may have a little bit of purple fringe while the RF 85L won't show it. The reason for this is that the 85L is the second Canon lens that have the "Blue Spectrum Refractive" coating that is designed to virtually remove any color fringing, even wide open. The first Canon lens with this coating is the EF 35mm f/1.4 L

Apart from extreme contrast scenario and different focal length perspective, these lenses gives beautiful IQ overall.

CarlosMart's gear list:CarlosMart's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +7 more
joenj Contributing Member • Posts: 874

Jonathan0007 wrote:

I have both and also the 28-70.
I can see a difference between the zoom and the two primes. But an image quality diff between 50 and 85 I cannot see. Deciding between both is more a matter of which focal length fits the job better.

jsierra19 New Member • Posts: 22

joenj wrote:

Jonathan0007 wrote:

I can see a difference between the zoom and the two primes. But an image quality diff between 50 and 85 I cannot see. Deciding between both is more a matter of which focal length fits the job better.

Can you get into a little more detail with the difference between the zoom (28-70 f2?) and the two prime lenses. I plan on purchasing the 28-70 f2 but i really love the quality of the images from those prime lenses like the 50 mm and the 85mm

jsierra19's gear list:jsierra19's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM
MikeB_2018 Regular Member • Posts: 470

I have both of these.  I have used the 50 much more than the 85, only because I have had it a year longer.  However, I LOVE the 85mm focal length and I agree with the other poster about the slight color fringing the 50 can have vs. the 85.  However, it is minute to say the least and easy to fix most any instance in post.

The 85 for portrait work is my favorite.  However, I have done full day studio shoots only using the 50 and it was wonderful and gave a pretty nice working range.  I love having both and if I had to pick just one, I'd go with the 85 just because that focal length, the working distance and the slight compression over the 50mm subjectively feel better to me when I am shooting portraits, beauty etc in studio.  You'd have to determine which fits your style of shooting best.

You can't go wrong with either.

MikeB_2018's gear list:MikeB_2018's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +31 more
joenj Contributing Member • Posts: 874

jsierra19 wrote:

joenj wrote:

Jonathan0007 wrote:

Can you get into a little more detail with the difference between the zoom (28-70 f2?) and the two prime lenses. I plan on purchasing the 28-70 f2 but i really love the quality of the images from those prime lenses like the 50 mm and the 85mm

The difference is mainly wide open: while the 28-70 at 2.0 is not razor sharp, but still excellent (2.8 is better which is apparent in some situations), the 50 and 85 are razor sharp even wide open i.e. at 1.2. All these differences are subtle as we talk on a very IQ high level.
The main reason I have these two primes even though they are almost covered by he 28-70 focal range is that the f/1.2 gives this extra 1.5 stops for low light situations and this extreme shallow DoF (the eye can be razor sharp while the eye lashes are already out of focus, for example).
If it were just about the difference in IQ then I would rate these small differences between 28-70 and the primes to be too subtle to justify the primes.

callaesthetics Forum Member • Posts: 75

I've tried both lens, both are amazing. I shoot at 50mm a lot so that's the one I got first. Sold my EF 35L (which i don't use much anymore) & EF 50L to fund the RF 50L so it barely cost me to update.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads