Lens for Landscape photography for Sigma sd Quattro H

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Shawn67 Senior Member • Posts: 2,284
Re: Lens for Landscape photography for Sigma sd Quattro H

No, you can adapt SA mount to FE but not the other way around as the FE lenses have a shorter flange focal length.

Shawn

lockhrt Regular Member • Posts: 198

The Sigma sd Quattro is a superb camera for landscape photos! I have the non-H version, and am extremely happy with it as a landscape and portrait tool. Once you use this camera for landscapes, it is difficult to go back. You will get brutal sharpness and lovely color reproduction. My postprocessing time went down by a factor of 10x with the Sigma. There is nothing to fix in post because you t is right in camera.

As the others have said, there are not any lenses specific to the H sensor size. Remember that the SA mount is on its way out.

I use the 18-35 Art, and the 50-100 Art. These are tremendously big and heavy lenses. And dang sharp. I found both used. I also have the non-Art 17-50 f/2.8. This is a fantastic lens for the price.

The H sensor limits you to the full frame Art lenses, which are big and expensive. Consider this. This is why I chose against the H.

Shawn67 Senior Member • Posts: 2,284

The H sensor limits you to the full frame Art lenses, which are big and expensive. Consider this. This is why I chose against the H.

Some DC lenses cover the H sensor. For those that don't you can set the camera to DC Crop mode and it can also be set to do it automatically too when DC lenses are mounted.

Shawn

danski0224 Senior Member • Posts: 1,234

lockhrt wrote:

As the others have said, there are not any lenses specific to the H sensor size. Remember that the SA mount is on its way out.

Well...... with the news of more delays for the 2019 2020 "full frame" Foveon camera, I wouldn't dismiss the SA mount just yet...

-- hide signature --

Moments in Time, a work in progress.... https://www.flickr.com/gp/142423236@N08/965cs3

richard stone Veteran Member • Posts: 3,446

I really believe that the idea is to use whatever lens you like and match the subject matter to it. One of my sad recollections is taking pictures of mountains (Sierra Nevada) with a 24MM lens on a FF camera. With that lens the huge mountains shrank down to nothing and looked like pimples in the distance. Thus in "close" environments, such as in a city, the 24mm lens would be fine, but not where the subject is far away. Unless you want to emphasize the foreground...

So for mountains, and wide open spaces, to prevent being overwhelmed by distance, a telephoto is better. But do we really want to pack up and go to the mountains to make pictures? Stick a medium lens on a proper camera and stay near at home. Use a tripod.

-- hide signature --
 richard stone's gear list:richard stone's gear list
Sigma sd Quattro Sigma SD10 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art

richard stone wrote:

I really believe that the idea is to use whatever lens you like and match the subject matter to it. One of my sad recollections is taking pictures of mountains (Sierra Nevada) with a 24MM lens on a FF camera. With that lens the huge mountains shrank down to nothing and looked like pimples in the distance. Thus in "close" environments, such as in a city, the 24mm lens would be fine, but not where the subject is far away. Unless you want to emphasize the foreground...

So for mountains, and wide open spaces, to prevent being overwhelmed by distance, a telephoto is better. But do we really want to pack up and go to the mountains to make pictures? Stick a medium lens on a proper camera and stay near at home. Use a tripod.

This is so true. Photos of mountains are often best with some sort of telephoto lens. You gotta be up and in the mountains, and the mountains are going to need to be abrupt for a wide angle to be useful.

absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 11,170

richard stone wrote:

I took all three of my DP Merrills on the Swiss Alps, and yes, you definitely want a decent camera with you for a trip you're not likely to repeat. I have plenty of very high quality images that are treasured memories now, all but one handheld.

absquatulate's gear list:absquatulate's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sigma sd Quattro +4 more

lockhrt wrote:

richard stone wrote:

This is so true. Photos of mountains are often best with some sort of telephoto lens. You gotta be up and in the mountains, and the mountains are going to need to be abrupt for a wide angle to be useful.

Not in my experience, it depends on how close to the mountains you get. On my trek over the Swiss Alps my most used camera was the DP1M, and often going wider would have been better. My least used was the DP3M, when you're in amongst it you don't need really a telephoto lens.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sigma sd Quattro +4 more

absquatulate wrote:

lockhrt wrote:

richard stone wrote:

Not in my experience, it depends on how close to the mountains you get. On my trek over the Swiss Alps my most used camera was the DP1M, and often going wider would have been better. My least used was the DP3M, when you're in amongst it you don't need really a telephoto lens.

I agree! In the Swiss alps, 12mm is sometimes not wide enough. But, this is when you are *in* the mountains.

And realistically, few spots will have the immediate and drastic relief of the Swiss alps. Photography in Switzerland is spectacular enough that it warrants generous investment in its own specialized equipment. But, a Sigma camera would still be my #1 choice in Switzerland.

marcodadofoto
marcodadofoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,909

Hallo I'm Sigma ambassador Italy and do landscapes, if it helps have a look at my website https://www.marcodadofoto.com or visit my fp page https://www.facebook.com/marco.dadone.landscape.photography

You can have an idea lots of photos with SDQH and 12-24 art or 24 mm art or 28 mm art.

Shahrooz51
OP Shahrooz51 Junior Member • Posts: 34

Is there any significant difference in image size (mp)of the h- type and non-h type? I'm really confused about the mg of these camera.

Shahrooz51's gear list:Shahrooz51's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a7R Sony a7R III

Shahrooz51 wrote:

Is there any significant difference in image size (mp)of the h- type and non-h type? I'm really confused about the mg of these camera.

The H is the equivalent of about 38mp and the SD Quattro is equivalent of about 30mp, in reality, with a high quality lens the images can look even better than that. Let me put it this way, you can print to huge sizes with either no problem.

MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,587

Shahrooz51 wrote:

Hi,

I'm a Sony shooter but very impressive with Sigma sd Quattro H for my landscape photography. I would like to request if anybody share the experience on this particular camera and the lenses that I can use for my landscape photography.

Thank you.

For the H, I really like the 14mm f1/.8 for a wide lens.  And also, for some reason the old 8-16mm seems to suit it well, though it's not as sharp as the 14mm.

For a longer lens, the 100-400 is pretty excellent - I have the 120-600 sport, but the 100-400 is very nearly as good and much smaller.  All of the long primes are also really good if you prefer primes.

For something in the middle, the 70mm is really good, as is the 50 - for a zoom I really like the 50-100, though that lens is not as sharp across the frame so if I use that I usually let it fall back to the Q resolution.

I also have the 18-35mm but I don't feel like that takes best advantage of the H resolution, though it's really good at the Q resolution.

For a full resolution mid-range lens, the 24-35mm f/2 is really excellent.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +4 more
AshleyMC Contributing Member • Posts: 981

Shahrooz51 wrote:

So, there is no dedicated lens for the sd Q H?

Strictly speaking, no.

Generally speaking, I use the Sigma Art lenses with “DG” designation on my Sigma sd Quattro H.

(“DC” is for APS-C sensor format. “DG” is for 35mm sensor format. The APS-H format slots between the APS-C and 35mm formats.)

David Mantripp Regular Member • Posts: 211

furtle wrote:

Here’s an alternative suggestion. Try the Sigma dp0 Quattro camera which is a fixed lens (14mm f4) with a leaf shutter. Same sensor as the sd Quattro. Personally, I think it is one of the finest landscape cameras available. The lens is simply excellent. Another plus is it is light and cheap compared with a sd Quattro H and 14mm f1.8 attached. That combo is a bohemoth with only marginal advantages.

Good luck

Best, Steve

As an owner of both dp0 and sdH (with 24-70 f2.8) I unreservedly second Steveā€˜s suggestion.  The sdH itself is a reasonable size and weight, but the lenses which justify it are just absurdly large and heavy.  And optically the dp0 (and possibly other dp cameras) is amazing, easily better than the best Art lenses.

David Mantripp's gear list:David Mantripp's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M1 III Hasselblad X1D II 50C +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads