Lens for Landscape photography for Sigma sd Quattro H

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Shahrooz51
Shahrooz51 Junior Member • Posts: 34
Lens for Landscape photography for Sigma sd Quattro H

Hi,

I'm a Sony shooter but very impressive with Sigma sd Quattro H for my landscape photography. I would like to request if anybody share the experience on this particular camera and the lenses that I can use for my landscape photography.

Thank you.

Shahrooz51's gear list:Shahrooz51's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a7R Sony a7R III
Sigma sd Quattro H
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 11,129
Re: Lens for Landscape photography for Sigma sd Quattro H

Shahrooz51 wrote:

Hi,

I'm a Sony shooter but very impressive with Sigma sd Quattro H for my landscape photography. I would like to request if anybody share the experience on this particular camera and the lenses that I can use for my landscape photography.

Thank you.

In case you weren't aware there are two SD Quattro's, one with an APS-C sensor, one with an APS-H sensor. You have a larger and cheaper lens choice with the SDQ (APS-C) for slightly lower resolution. The SDQ-H takes larger more expensive lenses, though it can shoot the APS-C lenses in crop mode (The same resolution as the SD-Q), so you might want to consider which one would suit you better.

absquatulate's gear list:absquatulate's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sigma sd Quattro +4 more
otumay
otumay Contributing Member • Posts: 573

Shahrooz51 wrote:

Hi,

Thank you.

You might try these lenses: 14mm f/1.8 Art, 18-35mm f/1.8 Art, or 24mm f/1.4 Art. All work satisfactorily with sdQH.

-- hide signature --
 otumay's gear list:otumay's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP1x Sigma SD1 Merrill +18 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 27,092

otumay wrote:

Shahrooz51 wrote:

Hi,

Thank you.

You might try these lenses: 14mm f/1.8 Art, 18-35mm f/1.8 Art, or 24mm f/1.4 Art. All work satisfactorily with sdQH.

They can also be used on Sony cameras with an adapter from Sigma. For use on the Sigma sdQ or sdQH, you need the versions in SA mount. These will be special order items except perhaps at very large dealers.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
danski0224 Senior Member • Posts: 1,213

Use the same* focal lengths you use for your Sony.

*: Convert to equivalent if required (I.E.: Full frame Sony to crop Sigma)

Do be aware that there is little/no latitude for highlights with the Quattro sensors.

However, you will be rewarded if you get it right "in camera" and spend some time using Sigma Photo Pro.

-- hide signature --

Moments in Time, a work in progress.... https://www.flickr.com/gp/142423236@N08/965cs3

Shahrooz51
OP Shahrooz51 Junior Member • Posts: 34

So, there is no dedicated lens for the sd Q H?

Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,358

Shahrooz51 wrote:

So, there is no dedicated lens for the sd Q H?

Shahrooz51,

I think the 24-35mm f2 Art would be a good one on the sd Quattro H and for wider the 14-24mm or 12-24mm. All of them should be ok for landscape photography.

The 10-20mm f3.5 works very well on my sd Quattro (non H) and would also work equally well on the H version with some possible vignetting at 10mm  in 3:2 aspect ratio.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD15 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD10 +5 more
Shahrooz51

Have you compared the IQ between SD Q and other cameras? I think Sigma SD Q provides sharper photos but I have no idea about the color tonality.

Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 15,022

Hi Shahrooz,

Welcome to the Sigma Camera Talk Forum!

I have a Sigma SD Quattro H, and I shoot landscapes with it. I can tell you that I use a variety of lenses, but the lens I want to get most is the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 OS Art. The photos I have seen from that lens show the lens to be a good landscape lens. I plan to get the 14-24mm f2.8 Art to compliment the 24-70. With those two lenses and my 70-300 OS, I think I will have a good kit. I can tell you that I do like to shoot at 10mm too though, using my 8-16mm lens. If you are a wide-angle lover, like me, please keep that lens in mind. It is not as sharp as the Art lenses, but it is a lens that lets you shoot photos you could not shoot with other lenses. Here is an example:

. . . and another:

Here is a photo I shot with my 70mm f2.8 EX macro (my best Sigma lens):

I wish I had the 24-70mm f2.8 OS Art when I was shooting in the Apalachian mountains last autumn. Oh, well. I still was able to get some decent photos, I guess.

Here is a landscape photo I shot with a longer focal length, using my 70-300mm OS lens:

ALL of those photos probably need to be edited (enhanced), before printing or posting on my website. I'm a bit picky with regard to posting new photos. I want to make photos that are better than what I've made before, and it's much more difficult for me to be happy with my landscape photos lately. I don't think that's a function of my Sigma cameras, because I feel the same way about the photos from my Nikon D810 too.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma sd Quattro H Nikon D810 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,097

Nice images Scott

Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 15,022

rick decker wrote:

Nice images Scott

Thanks Rick.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma sd Quattro H Nikon D810 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
furtle
furtle Senior Member • Posts: 1,127

Here’s an alternative suggestion.  Try the Sigma dp0 Quattro camera which is a fixed lens (14mm f4) with a leaf shutter. Same sensor as the sd Quattro.  Personally, I think it is one of the finest landscape cameras available.  The lens is simply excellent.  Another plus is it is light and  cheap compared with a sd Quattro H and 14mm f1.8 attached. That combo is a bohemoth with only marginal advantages.

Good luck

Best, Steve

furtle's gear list:furtle's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma dp3 Quattro Sigma DP1s Ricoh GR Digital III +9 more
Mk7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,347

Landscapes are not shot with wide angle lenses only. What focal lengths is the OP looking for?

No dedicated lens.

Canon didn't make a special lens for their APS-H 1D cameras.

Any Sigma lens designed for a full frame camera will work.

I think you can turn off the automatic crop mode in the camera.

Only the fixed lens cameras have a "dedicated" lens.

Only you can decide if the H version is worth the extra cost. It's the same pixel pitch as the regular version.

-- hide signature --

Moments in Time, a work in progress.... https://www.flickr.com/gp/142423236@N08/965cs3

Shahrooz51

Great shots!

If I correct the crop factor on SD H is 1.3 which makes 24mm like 31mm equivalent to the FF. I guess 12-24 or 14mm art lenses are more attractive to me.

sroomsd Forum Member • Posts: 54

furtle wrote:

Here’s an alternative suggestion. Try the Sigma dp0 Quattro camera which is a fixed lens (14mm f4) with a leaf shutter. Same sensor as the sd Quattro. Personally, I think it is one of the finest landscape cameras available. The lens is simply excellent. Another plus is it is light and cheap compared with a sd Quattro H and 14mm f1.8 attached. That combo is a bohemoth with only marginal advantages.

Good luck

Best, Steve

Hello Steve,

I own the sigma SD QH with the sigma 18-35mm. This because of the weight. I never use the stupid F1.4 ability. Give me a lens with a 5.6 f stop that gives the best optics you can wish for. At the widest you have a lot of vignet, blablablabla. If I would choose again I would pick the DP series, like furtle suggest, so the dp0 and dp3 with extender.

good luck with your choose.

ps, you know That the SA Mount is ending??  So no new lenses are made in the SA Mount and the are really hard to get.

sroomsd's gear list:sroomsd's gear list
Sigma sd Quattro H Pentax K-5 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +4 more

sroomsd wrote:

ps, you know That the SA Mount is ending?? So no new lenses are made in the SA Mount and the are really hard to get.

Yes, SA mount is being phased out.

However, being able to buy SA lenses probably varies greatly based on the location (country) of the buyer.

I do not see a difference yet at the major retailers in the USA, although more choices might be special order vs "in stock".

There are plenty of SA lenses on the big auction site, and prices are even lower than before. That isn't good as a seller.

-- hide signature --

Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,358

Shahrooz51 wrote:

Have you compared the IQ between SD Q and other cameras? I think Sigma SD Q provides sharper photos but I have no idea about the color tonality.

Shahrooz51,

You are correct the sd Q very sharp photos indeed and the colour tonality is excellent also.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD15 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD10 +5 more
Shahrooz51

That's right. Thank you.

Shahrooz51

Is there any Sony FE to Sigma adapter available? I have some good Sony Gmaster Lenses and I can't afford to spend on the sigma lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads