Xpro2 to Xpro3 R.O.I. experience

Started Feb 2, 2020 | Discussions
sjstremb
sjstremb Contributing Member • Posts: 565
Xpro2 to Xpro3 R.O.I. experience

I am have an Xpro2 and have decided for the moment there is not enough difference between the two to warrant upgrading to the xpro3. A good friend of mine also is in that position and is hot to get an Xpro3 and of course we both have read the reviews and know the difference in the spec sheet, but has anyone out there actually done the xpro2 to Xpro3 upgrade and can either confirm my decision or endorse the new purchase ? Do you think its worth the Return on Investment or in simpler terms is it worth the $$? Also worth mentioning she is neutral about the rear screen LCD thing and is mostly concerned with image quality and AF accuracy. We both went from Xpro1's to the Xpro2 and IMHO it was well worth that upgrade.

sjstremb's gear list:sjstremb's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D850 +20 more
elfroggio
elfroggio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,115
Re: Xpro2 to Xpro3 R.O.I. experience

I have an XP2. I have tried the XP3 and decided: Nope.

The difference between an XP1 and XP2 is like different planets.

My bottom line is: will the new camera help me get better images?

I have tried the XP3 for a couple hours at the store (on the street) and the answer is: no. There was a clear, crystal clear difference between the XP1 and XP2, it was huge. On the other hand, the differences between the XP2 and the XP3 are incremental.

The only benefit that I saw was the face/eye AF which is much better but I don't much street. My portraits are not "hidden".

If they had a "proper back button focus" and a "proper AF-C/C-AF" like on my Canon:

• button under the thumb
  • the af-c can also be used for static objects/people
  • better predictive af-c (I do a lot of running dogs)

then I would be interested, but right now it looks that will keep working with the XP2 until the XP4...

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.sritch.com
The Dogs of Vancouver, BC

Zaax
Zaax Senior Member • Posts: 1,487
What you a Pro2 gain you?

What can't you do now with your Pro2 that a Pro3 would give you?

Shoot with the Pro2 until it dies.

-- hide signature --
 Zaax's gear list:Zaax's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +16 more
UrrutiaPhoto New Member • Posts: 6

The new Classic Neg profile is pretty nice, i have to say. I think overall, the XPro-3 is nicer. I really like being able to shoot from the hip too.

RhubarbAndCustard Junior Member • Posts: 28

sjstremb wrote:

Do you think its worth the Return on Investment or in simpler terms is it worth the $$?

How are you quantifying a return on investment? Will you charge clients more for photos taken with an X-Pro3?

sjstremb
OP sjstremb Contributing Member • Posts: 565

No, no, nothing that technical. What I really mean (I think I was trying too hard to be "cute" with the ROI.) is that when I went from my xpro1 to the xpro2 the difference was dramatic and in my experience really worth the money to make the jump. I'm looking for what I am gaining against the cost. Our Xpro 2 bodies are worth $800-900 used retail, less of course on an in store trade in, a new Xpro 3 is $2,000 USD so for my friend and myself is the new improvements in the Xpro 3 worth $1,200 in either image quality, AF or any of the other things we value when the file ends up a print.

sjstremb's gear list:sjstremb's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D850 +20 more
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 11,855

No camera will make one a better photographer.  A camera is a crappy investment and one needs to look at a camera like a boat - a hole in which to throw good money after bad, a.ka. a black hole for dollar bills.  

That being said I have updated my XPro2 with the XPro3.  With money form selling the Pro2 and some lenses sitting around collecting dust, I paid for the XPro3.

The XPro3 has some features I value, protected LCD makes it much more flexible for many of my uses as I always worried a but about a 3 inch piece of glass exposed and screaming break me.  The EVF on the Pro3 is head and shoulders above the Pro2 and is actually usable and the little focal point overlay in the OVF is now very usable.  Because of that the manual focusing aids work better and manual focusing is faster in the Pro3 than Pro2.  That opens up the lens flexibility. That also means the OVF overlay (I mostly use the OVF with the XPro) is significantly better and more useful.  You can actually read the numbers in the Pro3!  The OVF lost a magnification level.  However, for the lenses I normally use - not a big deal.  The 23-50/56 are work the same in the OVF in the Pro2.  The 90 does not work too well in the Pro3 OVF.  It was a little better in the Pro2 OVF but I normally use the 90 on my H1.  The improved EVF makes the Pro3 very usable for all lenses.  So to me the Pro3 is not as specialized as the Pro3.  I don't like to use and EVF, doesn't matter if on the XPro or XH.  But at least now the EVF on the Pro3 is as good as the one on the H1 and T3 if I want to use it.

The AF on the Pro3 is better and the low light focusing is better. The sensor is a little better but they are very close.  The metering of the Pro3 is a little more honest as I found the Pro2 was obsessed with preserving highlights.  So I find myself applying a -1/3 stop exposure compensation often to the Pro3 which I would not do with the Pro2.  That is only an issue in outdoor scenes with deep shadows and bright sunlight - like in an open forest.  But they give us a nice little EC dial right at your thumb.

Physically the XPro2 and XPro3 are probably Fuji's best built cameras.  The H1 is how built like a tank.  However, my cameras go with me and they can take a licking.  My Pro2 had some scratches and bronzing on the top.  I was happy to pay a few extra bucks for the DuraTech finish which is much more scratch resistance than paint on the Pro3.  I always had the Pro2 in a half case which could be somewhat a pain.  With the Pro3 I find no need for a half case.  That might not be for everyone but at least it is an option.

The only area I do prefer the Pro2 design over the Pro3 is the grip.  I cut my teeth on a Leica M4 and see no reason for a lump under my right hand.  I would prefer no grip on the XPro so with the little larger grip on the Pro3 I find I prefer the Pro2.  Of course I will get used to the grip over time.  He raised right side on the back, however, gives me a nice lip for my thumb.  I had a thumb grip on my Pro2.  With the lip on the Pro3, I don't see any need for the after market thumb grip.

So for me the upgrade was worthwhile.  I can't answer if it is worthwhile for anyone else. It depends on the individual requirements.  For me it was.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  

-- hide signature --

"If you learn only methods, you’ll be tied to your methods, but if you learn principles you can devise your own methods." Ralph Waldo Emerson
___
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm +12 more
Rakosky Regular Member • Posts: 134

I’m chosing between pro2 and pro3, and in my opinion the greatest benefit in the new cam is -6ev, while main concern is the ovf not usable with lens under 23mm. The covered display isn’t a big problem.

Rakosky's gear list:Rakosky's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Patrick Lowe Regular Member • Posts: 167

If you ask any one about their camera's upgrade from one model to another, no matter what camera including Sony. Nikon, Canon or any other brands, I don't think there is fair value matching to the cost you add to another level/upgrade. I upgrade from X-pro2 to X-pro 3, same like a lot people here, I like the look of the hidden screen. So far no single camera does that. I know there might be some people don't agree with this. But this is the reason I switched to X-pro3. Don't ask me is it worth to do that. I also have X-H1 so now I could shoot with two different cameras serving their purposes.

Patrick Lowe's gear list:Patrick Lowe's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
d88n Junior Member • Posts: 31

I have the pro3, but it doesn't take better pictures than the pro2. On the other hand, I think the design of the pro3 is very beautiful. I've had the pro2 traded in for an xh1 for stabilization. Used that too little and missed my pro body enormously. So exchanged the xh1 for a pro3. Rangefinder works the best for me. I do notice that the previous sensor can handle high ISO values a bit better, but that is also negligible.

d88n's gear list:d88n's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS WR
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,776
A few thoughts from a former serial upgrader

Trying to apply the notion of ROI, which is a measurable quantity, against the experience of using two cameras is a bit of a stretch. The simpler question is whether the newer model has enough advantages (IQ, handling, feel... take your choice of criteria) to justify purchasing the newer model. Or, if you already own an X-Pro2, the decision will revolve around whether the upgrade is worth the depreciation loss on the trade-in and higher cost of the newer replacement.

All that comes down to all the things that people look at when considering an upgrade (handling, IQ improvements, new features, etc.). If the upgrade ticks enough boxes for you, and the cost is manageable or "worth it" to you, then yes, there's sufficient "ROI" to justify the move. For years, I more or less blindly upgraded cameras when the new models came out. That was due to the fact that the differences between models back then were a bit more dramatic and I was able to justify the cost (including depreciation loss on the older model) and afford the upgrade. These days, as a retiree, the bar is raised a bit, and I've skipped a number of models along the way waiting for something that offers sufficient improvements to enable me to justify the move. In my case, I'm hoping the X-H2, when introduced, will accomplish that.

So, that exact dynamic applies here as well. One needs to look at the differences between the models, assess the value of the old camera, and decide whether the upgrade cost and model to model improvements justifies the expense. If you line up 5 photographers, I'm going to guess that you might get 5 completely different approaches and little agreement on the decision.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
SilvaticusBlues Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: A few thoughts from a former serial upgrader

I recently bought an X-Pro 2, and decided the X-Pro 3 wasn’t worth it either. I may have been swayed with some design tweaks - moving the diopter adjuster to the rear, a proper flip screen that can be closed or open against the body, and a dedicated iso dial. The ev comp and shutter don’t need to be so large, my X-E2 has smaller but perfectly useable dials. Fuji could easily fit three dedicated dials on the right if they wanted. Would it be ugly? Maybe? But it would mean no more jangly fernickerty iso clutch dial!

SilvaticusBlues's gear list:SilvaticusBlues's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,806

The AF is faster, especially in low light, and the tracking is improved now being sticky enough to use for focus and recompose. Face/Eye detect is better too.

AF speed on Fuji's slower lenses like the 35f1.4 is improved.

The EVF is an upgrade but the OVF is a downgrade.

IQ is about the same but with a little more high ISO noise.

The D_Range priority is nice for JPGs in high contrast light and the in-camera HDR works well.

Too bad its still using the 2's ISO dial instead of the X100V's which stays up until you push it back down.

You can control aperture and ISO with the front dial which is nice.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +2 more
DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,806
Re: A few thoughts from a former serial upgrader

Jerry-astro wrote:

Trying to apply the notion of ROI, which is a measurable quantity, against the experience of using two cameras is a bit of a stretch.

'Positive ROI' can also take the subjective form of "greater satisfaction and enjoyment".

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads