Test Sigma DP 0.5 Quattro

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 26,893
Re: Test Sigma DP 0.5 Quattro

Iconoscope wrote:

Sigma seems to have a penchant for making awkward body designs starting with the Quattro series. The SD Quattros are somewhat more friendly, but still odd.

The point of the dpQ design was to get the hot stuff such as battery and processing chips as far away from the sensor as possible.

As for addon lenses, I have found that most do not produce usable results. The best ones I have are the Rokinons and the older Yashica converter lenses. The wide angle lenses work much better than the telephoto on my DP cameras.

I would like to see some samples of your setup using the Ricoh lens!!

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 26,893

TTLstalker wrote:

WhTs the story about the SD mount. Is Sigma going to make future ILK Foveon camerss with the L mount ?

They are hoping to, but they are having technical problems. Watch this space in about a year from now.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
TTLstalker Contributing Member • Posts: 554

In other words there wil be no SD mount in the future and if you have SD mount lenses you will need an adapter to use it on L mount cameras ?

tagscuderia
tagscuderia Senior Member • Posts: 1,694
Farewell SA Mount...

TTLstalker wrote:

In other words there wil be no SD mount in the future and if you have SD mount lenses you will need an adapter to use it on L mount cameras ?

SIGMA have condemned the SA mount to history, it’s discontinued with no lens road-map. So an adapter or use their lens mount service... ? They will still service the lenses but firmware may now be frozen.

tagscuderia's gear list:tagscuderia's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
brazile Contributing Member • Posts: 597
Re: GW-4 samples

Not bad at all. Attleboro?

Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,331

Iconoscope wrote:

Sigma seems to have a penchant for making awkward body designs starting with the Quattro series. The SD Quattros are somewhat more friendly, but still odd.

As for addon lenses, I have found that most do not produce usable results. The best ones I have are the Rokinons and the older Yashica converter lenses. The wide angle lenses work much better than the telephoto on my DP cameras.

Iconoscope & Shawn67,

Even so, Sigma dp Quattro camera range won the 2014 Good Design Gold award and the iF Award in 2015.

The dp Quattros also won the "German Design Award 2016".The German Design Award was launched in 2012. When it comes to selecting prize-winners in this competition, the nominated products are held in high regard in the design field. The SIGMA dp Quattro series was nominated because this camera series has already won the "iF Design Award 2015" in Germany. The selection of winners are divided into two categories, "Excellent Communication Design" and "Excellent Product Design". A jury of experts assess the products and the best 15 design products in each category receive the Winner Award.

So some experts thought highly of the dp Quattro design.

I found the shape unusual at first but after a while I found that it helped to keep the camera steady using two hands and after six years I take the shape for granted.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +5 more
OP Shawn67 Senior Member • Posts: 2,283

Ceistinne wrote:

Iconoscope wrote:

Iconoscope & Shawn67,

Even so, Sigma dp Quattro camera range won the 2014 Good Design Gold award and the iF Award in 2015.

The dp Quattros also won the "German Design Award 2016".The German Design Award was launched in 2012. When it comes to selecting prize-winners in this competition, the nominated products are held in high regard in the design field. The SIGMA dp Quattro series was nominated because this camera series has already won the "iF Design Award 2015" in Germany. The selection of winners are divided into two categories, "Excellent Communication Design" and "Excellent Product Design". A jury of experts assess the products and the best 15 design products in each category receive the Winner Award.

So some experts thought highly of the dp Quattro design.

I found the shape unusual at first but after a while I found that it helped to keep the camera steady using two hands and after six years I take the shape for granted.

S

Two hands is better and with the LCD viewer on it does change the feel quite a bit as it feels more like a 6x6 box camera with a grip attached. But it is still a weird design that is more about form than function. It is awful 1 handed and I think it likely hurt sales in the market.

On the flip side the sd Quattro bodies are great with the exception of the power switch. Should have been where the lock switch is. (And make it L mount...)

Shawn

Johan Borg Senior Member • Posts: 2,981

TTLstalker wrote:

This is what Sigma said in 2018. Since then they have released the MC-21 converter and their first L mount camera, the Bayer sensor Sigma fp, while the full frame Foveon model is delayed until at least next year.

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/news/2018/09/26/1842/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads