Test Sigma DP 0.5 Quattro

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Shawn67 Senior Member • Posts: 2,283
Test Sigma DP 0.5 Quattro

Just picked up a used DP1Q and will be testing this combo out as a way of being either  21mm or 28mm FOV.

Ricoh GW-4

Very early testing so far but it doesn't seem to increase vignetting. The DP1Q corners were already weaker and this seems to accentuate that a little more. Rest of the image looks fine with this on. Planning on mostly 21:9 with this so that is less of a concern for me. I'm leaving the step down ring on all the time as it doesn't effect anything.

Initial impressions of the DP1Q are interesting. AF speed is workable, DNG write times are around 7 seconds and the buffer works like on the sdqh in that it can shoot while writing which is good. Grip is awful and I don't like the positioning of the Focus button as it is too easy to switch focus modes. Shame there isn't an extension half grip (like what Sony has) to extend the length of the body under the grip so you could hold the camera with a full hand. That would have made it much more comfortable and able to be used single handed. The LCD viewer is nice and gives a large image to compose with.

Shawn

Sigma dp1 Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 17,920
Re: Test Sigma DP 0.5 Quattro

Shawn67 wrote:

Just picked up a used DP1Q and will be testing this combo out as a way of being either 21mm or 28mm FOV.

Ricoh GW-4

Very early testing so far but it doesn't seem to increase vignetting. The DP1Q corners were already weaker and this seems to accentuate that a little more. Rest of the image looks fine with this on. Planning on mostly 21:9 with this so that is less of a concern for me. I'm leaving the step down ring on all the time as it doesn't effect anything.

Initial impressions of the DP1Q are interesting. AF speed is workable, DNG write times are around 7 seconds and the buffer works like on the sdqh in that it can shoot while writing which is good. Grip is awful and I don't like the positioning of the Focus button as it is too easy to switch focus modes. Shame there isn't an extension half grip (like what Sony has) to extend the length of the body under the grip so you could hold the camera with a full hand. That would have made it much more comfortable and able to be used single handed. The LCD viewer is nice and gives a large image to compose with.

Shawn

Interesting, Shawn.

The UV(0) is highly approved ... got one on the DP2M ...

-- hide signature --

Too many variables, not enough grey cells ...
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +13 more
OP Shawn67 Senior Member • Posts: 2,283

Yup, seems to work fine.

Forgot the funny bug I found in the DP1Q. Don't buy it between Noon and 12:59pm. If it is in 12 hour format you can't set the clock. It goes from 0-11.

Might be a feature, not a bug....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

Shawn

xpatUSA

Shawn67 wrote:

Yup, seems to work fine.

Forgot the funny bug I found in the DP1Q. Don't buy it between Noon and 12:59pm. If it is in 12 hour format you can't set the clock. It goes from 0-11.

Shawn

Good link! Is that a clip from the movie?

Slightly related, all my cameras are set to UTC because DPR adds "GMT" to the time in the pop-up EXIF. Probably causes puzzlement elsewhere when my Texas late afternoon shots show like 22:00 hrs ...

-- hide signature --

Ted

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +13 more

Yup. This is Spinal Tap.

Also think Sigma missed an easy fix with the LCD bracket. The camera hangs a little funny from the strap lugs alone. When you add the LCD viewer it hangs very oddly. If Sigma milled the bracket ever so slightly they could have added a second strap lug location to the left side so the camera would hang vertically very nicely with the LCD viewer on it.

If they milled it in two places it would still allow for a plate to be attached and stay flat too.

Might see about machining mine for this.

Shawn

Iconoscope
Iconoscope Regular Member • Posts: 450

Sigma seems to have a penchant for making awkward body designs starting with the Quattro series.  The SD Quattros are somewhat more friendly, but still odd.

As for addon lenses, I have found that most do not produce usable results.  The best ones I have are the Rokinons and the older Yashica converter lenses.  The wide angle lenses work much better than the telephoto on my DP cameras.

I would like to see some samples of your setup using the Ricoh lens!!

Iconoscope's gear list:Iconoscope's gear list
Sigma DP2s Kodak DCS Pro 14n Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 +7 more

I had the sdqh and I really liked that body design except for SA mount and the on/off position. That should have been where the lock switch was. Sigma should take that body, move the on/off to the lock and make it L mount.

When I get a couple of decent shots with the Ricoh converter on the DP1Q I will post them. The converter is fantastic on the GR3 and the Fuji x100.

Full spectrum converted x100 with Kolari IR Chrome filter and Ricoh GW-4.

Shawn

GW-4 samples

All with the Ricoh GW-4 attached. Shot DNG, in monochrome due to it being a gray ugly day.

I'd say the GW-4 is doing well on the Sigma.

Shawn

Vertical strap lugs

Walking around with the camera on the strap lugs with the GW-4 and LCD viewer was a mess. Working a little on the bracket with my dremel fixed this....

This hangs dramatically better.

Shawn

docmaas
docmaas Veteran Member • Posts: 6,848
Re: GW-4 samples

Looks pretty good.  Notice the converter is named as the lens in the exif, presume that was added?

How much does it weigh and how does that compare to the dp0?  I found the converter to be pretty heavy and somewhat awkward when testing it on the dpxm variants.

I presume you want to have the option of either focal length.

Mike

Shawn67 wrote:

All with the Ricoh GW-4 attached. Shot DNG, in monochrome due to it being a gray ugly day.

I'd say the GW-4 is doing well on the Sigma.

Shawn

-- hide signature --

"Laoma shitu" "An old horse knows the road" Chinese Proverb                                        "Dao ke dao, fei chang dao. Ming ke ming, fei chang ming" Laozi
"At every crossroads on the path that leads to the future, tradition has placed 10,000 men to guard the past."
Maurice Maeterlinck

Yes, I use Lens Tagger in Lightroom to add lens details.

The camera with GW-4, battery, card, strap, LCD bracket and viewer and both lens caps is 1062 grams. It is a little front heavy but easily manageable. Would be a little more unbalanced if I wasn't using the LVF-11.

No idea how it compares to the DP0, don't have one.

Shawn

docmaas

looks like the dp1+gw4 is 9oz more than the dp0 all other attachments the same.

Mike

Shawn67 wrote:

Yes, I use Lens Tagger in Lightroom to add lens details.

The camera with GW-4, battery, card, strap, LCD bracket and viewer and both lens caps is 1062 grams. It is a little front heavy but easily manageable. Would be a little more unbalanced if I wasn't using the LVF-11.

No idea how it compares to the DP0, don't have one.

Shawn

-- hide signature --

"Laoma shitu" "An old horse knows the road" Chinese Proverb                                        "Dao ke dao, fei chang dao. Ming ke ming, fei chang ming" Laozi
"At every crossroads on the path that leads to the future, tradition has placed 10,000 men to guard the past."
Maurice Maeterlinck

Iconoscope
Iconoscope Regular Member • Posts: 450

Looks to be a really decent wide angle combination!

Iconoscope's gear list:Iconoscope's gear list
Sigma DP2s Kodak DCS Pro 14n Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 +7 more

Iconoscope wrote:

Looks to be a really decent wide angle combination!

Yeah, it works well. Those shots are without applying LR correction to the DP1Q lens. With that correction on it fixes the little bit of distortion and vignetting too and seems to still be pretty accurate with the GW4 on it.

Shawn

docmaas wrote:

Mike

Not bad to have two different focal lengths and a stop faster.

Shawn

xpatUSA
Re: Vertical strap lugs

Shawn67 wrote:

Walking around with the camera on the strap lugs with the GW-4 and LCD viewer was a mess. Working a little on the bracket with my dremel fixed this....

This hangs dramatically better.

Shawn

Good job well done.

-- hide signature --

Ted

docmaas

Shawn67 wrote:

docmaas wrote:

Mike

Not bad to have two different focal lengths and a stop faster.

Shawn

Indeeed, not bad at all, quite good even.

Mike

-- hide signature --

Maurice Maeterlinck

Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 15,030

Shawn67 wrote:

Yup, seems to work fine.

Shawn

"These go to eleven." lol

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
Mk7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,347

I got similar good results with my "DP0.5 Merrill".

It will be in the For Sale forum later this week in a combo deal:

DP1M + DP3M for $480. The DP1M has some scratches & scrapes on the body. The DP3M has a broken battery/SD card door and an occasionally squirrelly control wheel.  Both are fine where it counts most (lens and sensor).

$540 with the GR wide adapter and step ring.

TTLstalker Contributing Member • Posts: 605

WhTs the story about the SD mount. Is Sigma going to make future ILK Foveon camerss with the L mount ?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads